Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I watched the anime season through twice with different pals so decided to start reading the manga a few weeks ago. I read through the flashback and Shibuya arcs and a little bit into culling game. I decided to go back to the start of the Gojo flashback during the week and read it through a bit more slowly to sort out some fiddly bits I read too fast or forgot a detail from early on in the arc that showed up later. I think one of the things I've come to like most about Gege(?) is that they're totally happy not to explain stuff when it appears in the story or even have someone explain it directly and just allow you to work out for yourself. Despite Itadori being a fish out of water they don't end up leaning too heavily on him for exposition after the early going.

I loved the flashback arc and especially Toji as an antagonist. Toji's whole set up and payoff for Zen'in, Maki, and Megumi is all really nicely done. I also like how long he echoes through stuff even when he's gone, like that one Zen'in heir thinking he'd be some wimp and then being totally overwhelmed by his presence.

I always like Geto because he's hot and therefore of perfect moral character and the flashback with him was handled really well I thought. However the reveal mid-Shibuya that he's not actually the Geto we've been shown was a bit fail and one of the things I've not been that keen on. Krangjaku is a neat idea especially with the Noritoshi Kamo stuff from earlier but it really felt like it threw out all the great character stuff I'd gotten leading up to it. His Curse Instrumentality Project or whatever carry-on he's up to is also just way less engaging to me than the true Geto motivations and plan. Hoping we get Geto back but I suspect it would only be in some final battle scenario where his body helps the heroes win.

Early on I also had some worries that Sukuna would feel less dangerous and more like a grumpy antihero type. Him laughing hysterically at Itadori during the Junpei stuff dispelled that mostly and Shibuya obliterated it. Truly insane to see his domain just level multiple city blocks. Also very curious what his technique actually is.

Nanami and Nobara stuff hurt me deeply. Nanami especially was my boy.

I had to go back and check if I missed a chapter though between when Kenjaku/Geto releases all the spirits an activates all his sleeper curses because then the next chapter seemed to be weeks later with Yuta hunting Itadori and Shibuya being The Zone. I guess curses are common knowledge now. I reread the page of random political dialogue boxes as I guess it was way more important than I realised at first blush.

To return to the writing specifically I've really come around to liking how Gege slowly explains stuff or leaves a lot to inference after initially thinking he was doing a bad job at expositing. Stuff like only revealing how Megumi's Shikigami works when you finally find out what his kamikaze move. It fits with the scraps of information we'd gotten before but it had never been clear to me why he couldn't currently use his 10 summons or what he meant by only having tamed the elephant recently.

I had misunderstood Choso seeing Itadori as a brother as a psychological attack by Geto's twins at first but on my reread I had the foreknowledge of seeing Itadori's mother as Kenjaku so I was able to figure out this time oh they're half brothers actually. Well I think Kenjaku was more of a midwife to the curse paintings iirc, but still!

I did also like piecing together the gap between the final face-off with Kenjaku at the end of the arc and the cut to the next arc feeling disorienting once I realised what was happening.

I think other times it's a bit of a failing though. I think Naobito(?) Zen'in's 24 frames ability is a bit too vaguely explained and requires a lot of inferring. I understand it clearly now but it definitely took some going over and assumptions about certain parts of the explanation. Also I understand how the barriers are set up in Shibuya after carefully rereading the arc but I think at the time there could have been some better diagrams showing the stations and how the barriers intersect.

Maybe parts of this (almost certainly) are on me being bad with visualising spaces though.

I'm looking forward to getting to the culling game again, I'm currently just about to get to Nobara being killed. The culling game set up I found quite odd and not sure if I love the direction the manga is going post Shibuya plot wise but I really like all the characters. The game set-up and Kenjaku being Itadori's mother (I'm guessing to prep a Sukuna vessel) are just things I don't love.

I have loved Yuta a tonne so far though even if he did beat up my husband (who would have won had he not split his forces fyi).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Glad you've been enjoying the series overall. One thing to note about Gege, and he's pretty open about it in his author comments at times, is that he's prone to making stuff really confusing either because he doesn't stick the landing on execution or he didn't fully understand something related to the ability during it's inception. Like how he kind of lucked into a proper explanation for Gojo's infinity but it's still kind of sus.

I was glad when Gojo described it as the same effect as achilles and the tortoise as that's exactly what I had thought of when he explained it to Jogo before that. His expansion and contraction of space I put down to adjusting the size of the infinity rather than what he was talking about with converging and diverging series though.

The six-eyes and the frame trapping I think have been the big weak spots of stuff getting explained. Frame trapping was a really neat idea but required way too much inference from the reader, I can definitely see it being an issue of him just not being able to get it out of his head onto the page for the reader. The six-eyes I'm fine with as "allows limitless users to fully unlock its potential" but it just seems to keep getting ascribed random abilities. Maybe just a case of its multiple facets being given over time makes it feel like that. The perfect curse energy reuse was a weird element though lol.

He's explained other stuff like that girl's ability Souther Crossn really well I thought despite it being a tricky ability. Meeting up with her and Hakari and the introduction to some lawyer is as far as I got last time.

Stuff I'm excited about are finding out more about Hakari after Okkotsu praised is strength so much, seeing Okkotsu do more, and also the fourth special grade sorcerer Yuki go all out. I had forgotten she was a special grade until I reread the flashback so definitely keen to see more of her.

I also hope Todo isn't a spent force because I love him so much and us Todo head's ate good during the Shibuya climax.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Super strong introduction to this lawyer character

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Caught up fully apart from the chapter that comes out today in a few hours.

Ok lotus is super cool, very keen to watch JJK 0 once it shows up on streaming after missing it in the cinema.

Cool that we’re gonna see Hakari fight too. I wonder if he is on Okkotsu and Gojo level. Both of them seem to think so but no one else does lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

yum posted:

I find the official translations to be really janky and inconsistent. Looking into it, it seems like it's got something to do with the old translator being outed as a pedo and the new one trying to distance themselves from their work. Apparently the pedo translator's stuff isn't too good either because reading some of the fan interpretations from https://nanami-says.tumblr.com/ fit better/make more sense.

https://nanami-says.tumblr.com/post/649929685628862464/part-vi-13-chapters-65-68

this chapter was the one I had in mind, I think a lot of teenage Gojo's characterization/bromance with Getou is lost in the official

Current chapter
All this Hakari hype, I'm afraid Gege is setting up Hakari to job to the lightning past sorcerer dude they're hunting. Things have been going relatively well for the good guys so far

I've found stuff slightly janky or inconsistent throughout the series for sure but without speaking or being able to read Japanese raws I personally have no idea where that's original text and where it's mistranslation.

I think that blog you linked is pretty interesting to read but also a lot of it is stylistic disagreements and without the other translator explaining their reasoning I think it's limited somewhat in that respect. Stuff like natural sounding English vs word for word translations are always going to clash or even word bubbles sizes or internal style guides. Im not saying official translators are always superior to fan or non-official (but still pro) ones.

It is great to see errors explained and fixed though and that's really good to know and a shame it's in the official stuff e.g. what Geto says about the publics peace of mind being inverted and flipping meaning in the official text.

I only read official stuff to support the creators and translators and also I think there's a lot of really bad unofficial stuff. I'd rather everyone read the same author approved source of their work at the same time each week especially when it's free. I know the ADTRW policy and am fine with it just explaining why I personally had not read the latest chapter today. Rather than it being assumed I thought the translators are always superior to non-official ones. That's a really cool blog so thanks for sharing!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also I feel like if you gave to S tier translators the same text you'd get different scripts back every time that only diverge more the longer the text is. It's the same issue as when I'm reading one of the Russian classics and have to try find the consensus best translation but it's just a mug's game.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, I thought he was using Hakari's blood as ink. What you describe makes more sense (though it's kind of hard to visually distinguish in black and white).

It's kind of hard to tell I think and I only picked it up on a second reading. This panel is the key as you can see Hakari blocked the slash itself but the fluid is being throw towards his face (imo) rather than trailing from the swing.

I'm still not 100% certain though as the nib is only showing ink after attacks. However Gege also forgets the slash on Hakari's cheek a few times too so possibly he's only showing the ink in close ups of the pen rather than it not being there. Then again in the very first panel showing off the pen the nib is clean. Regardless I think it's the ink landing on Hakari. That said I'd have thought he'd try rub it off at least, but he also seems to have 0 respect for Charles from the off.

I like Hakari a lot and it's cool that he decided to immediately use his Domain Expansion to crush this guy. After they first showed up it was clear DE was super OP and ever since it's been avoided with simple domain's introduction or other restrictions. Like in Shibuya or the what just happened with Yuta. Despite Hakari being a modern sorcerer and an guaranteed hit already triggering I'm really hoping he has a domain like Higurama. His whole set-up as well as the name of it is making me hopeful.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rereading the chapter again I’m still not sure if Charles’ pen is staining Hakari with ink or using his blood as ink. Each of the wounds could be read either way I think. This line also makes it sound more like he’s filling his pen up with blood to me. I feel like he’d mention landing the ink on Hakari vs his pen willing with ink improving his prescience in this panel

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Neat!

Anyway I love Hakari so far. It rules that he could pretty easily beat Charles' rear end without using his technique but used domain expansion anyway to crush him. I wonder if he's able to use his domain multiple times a day. I think the ending where Charles has the rules instantly revealed to his brain due to the guaranteed hit mean Hakari's domain will be closer to Judgeman than other domains we've seen. Judgeman was a much more interesting set up than domains where the guaranteed hit is an OHKO so I'm hoping we see more of them going forward starting with this fight.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have two questions actually that I wonder what other posters think about what happened. They're just questions about fights instead of cool lore theories though I'm afraid.

1. When Geto failed to take control of Hidden Inventory what happened there? I'm assuming it's that Hidden Inventory was holding the Inverted Spear of Heaven in its mouth at the time which repelled Geto.

2. When Itadori is in his final face off with Mahito and Mahito is using Body of Distorted Killing what exactly is Mahito's plan to avoid the potential black flash? He says he's going to revert his "sweet spot" to his regular form to avoid the attack then (I think) reinforce it with cursed energy I assume to rebuild Body of Distorted Killing. However he just tanks the hit from Itadori in the arm anyway but that seems to have been his plan? In which case why did he drop the shielding. It's the only bit of the fight I don't rally follow and can't fully get what was supposed to be happening.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Me getting ready to read the chapter tomorrow based on the general reactions I’ve seen to the leaks

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lmfao the second I saw the video game characters at the start I started smiling, then lolling at Hakari's mini self explaining the rules. Also just glancing at the rules before I've read them has me

I feel like this is the most Hunter X Hunter power I've ever seen including Hunter X Hunter powers.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

After the first page I immediately opened the wikipedia page for pachinko machines lol. Ironically also the conservative faction is wrong considering his Domain Expansion seems to be way more traditional than any other modern sorcerer's lol

I'm mainly writing this out to get my own understanding of the chapter straight.

My understanding is pachinko machines are just pinball machines without flippers where you hope the pinball lands in these little catchers that give a payout instead of falling into the gameover pit at the bottom of the machine. There are these pins the pinball can ricochet off and the catchers generally slowly open and close. It's mainly luck-based like a slot machine but arguably good players can adjust the force of the initial pinball shot as well time it to the catchers opening. I think this is what Hakari is saying at the end. His ability is luck based on the surface but with skill it's not nearly as up in the air as it seems.

Like everything classic pachinko machines have been replaced by digital ones that are even closer to how slot machines work. All of the storyline stuff playing out is just playing while the probability is being calculated. It's the replacement for watching the physical pinballs ricocheting around the pins before seeing if they drop into a catcher or the game over pit.

Every time Hakari uses his cursed technique (the sliding train doors or the ball he can fire) that counts as firing a metaphorical pachinko pinball. Hakari can choose to use the doors or the ball but the colour will be random. The colours from green to gold have increasing chances of getting him a good "spin", and that spin decides which Riichi scenario plays out. The Riichi themselves also have various success chances, from the super low chance to succeed one we first see to the 80% chance to succeed Riichi we end on.

When a Riichi succeeds Hakari gets a Jackpot which gets him a bonus. A jackpot also gets him either increased probability of a jackpot or faster spins, and it seems like 75% of the time it's increased jackpot probability.

If Hakari's "spin" generates rainbow coloured doors or a rainbow coloured ball it's an instant jackpot regardless of the Riichi. He also mentions getting a jackpot for four executive effects. I wonder if he means four of the same colour in a row or if he just gets a Jackpot every fourth spin.

He also has some random luck boosters that can trigger at random to increase his chances of getting a jackpot even on lovely spins.

I still have some questions about it but I think they can only be answered by seeing what happens after Hakari's next spin. The flowchart isn't clear if Jackpot is a mode as it specifies "normal mode" and the two steps after jackpot both flow back to jackpot rather than to Normal Mode.

Why is faster spins good, does it mean he can use his attacks faster? Is he not able to use his technique during Riichi? How many spins does he get? After the Faster Spins options leads back to Normal Mode it mentions decreased spins. Does Hakari have a set number of spins he's allowed or is based on his cursed energy?

e: Interestingly Charles is convinced once Hakari gets jackpot it's all over, so I'm assuming unlike us he knows exactly what happens when a Jackpot occurs.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 8, 2022

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Charles comment when he first meets Hakari about how the reasons for fighting in the culling game are negative but a battle manga needs something positive definitely felt incredibly tongue in cheek in post Shibuya JJK

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

For fun, I have decided to lay out Hakari's Domain in the simplest way I can as I understand it.

Hakari's Goal is to get a Jackpot which gives him a currently unknown reward. The Domain first starts out at the Normal Stage where Hakari can make 1 to 4 attacks of two different types of his choice (Shooting Balls or Closing Shutters). After an attack there is a chance a chance one of four Scenarios will play out (Guaranteed if he does four attacks), and the Scenario will either fail and reset things to the Normal Stage, or succeed and give Hakari a Jackpot. The number of attacks he does along with the color of the attacks (Both of which are random) determine how likely he is to get a Scenario with a High Chance of success (The best one having an 80% chance). If he gets four attacks out without triggering a scenario, or the attack is Rainbow Colored the Scenario after the attack will give him a Jackpot. After getting a Jackpot he will 75% of the time increase his probability of getting another Jackpot, or 25% of the time increase the speed of his spins for a period of time (Which I assume means his attacks comes out faster) before going back to normal. By default an attack he makes has a 1 in 239 chance of triggering a Jackpot (But he is very lucky and says he has never needed more then 30 tries.)

As far as I can tell this is concise and totally correct. The only additional thing is he also has some random events that improve his odds that can trigger so he can potentially jackpot during terrible spins.

I think what happens post jackpot is a bit unclear still as well as the reduced number of spins he gets post speed up. However I think we have no way of knowing that until we see it next week.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Considering older domains were rule based and got supplanted in the Meta by one-hit kill domains I wonder how much of that was due to Sukuna. Malevolent Shrine might have been the first or at least first significant domain of the one hit to kill type.

Considering Megumi's incomplete domain was able to tug of war with Dagon I'm not so sure that OHKO domains would be better than RB domains. Yes Megumi was going to lose and had others there with him but it's still an incomplete domain vying with one of the top level special grade curses. During the tug of war as well the one hit kill is no longer active. If you have a RB domain would your abilities be unaffected? Hakari for example in a domain tug of war would disable his opponents one hit kill which is the best part of creating and maintaining a domain while still getting to go for his jackpot.

I suppose we need to see a domain battle between two people on more similar footing before we can really know how those fights go. We've only seen two and in both cases one participant was much stronger than the other.

I've also been thinking a lot about a fight between 20 finger Sukuna and Gojo and curious how it would play out. It's specified a few times that the more refined or better constructed domain wins out rather than just the most powerful. Malevolent Shrine is also described as a masterwork equivalent to a painter creating artwork directly on the air instead of canvas.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I believe the term used through the manga from Shibuya on really is "guaranteed hit" rather than "guaranteed kill". People just use guaranteed kill because generally if you have your guaranteed hit you're going to win. Even Gojo's isn't a kill shot, certainly not anymore than Mahito's is. Megumi also using his incomplete domain is described as not yet being able to have a "guaranteed hit".

The difference between guaranteed hit and old style domains is that the old style don't involve guaranteed hits, they just force you into following a set of rules.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ChaseSP posted:

Dagon had to split it's efforts among multiple people Mahitos domain was just instant death if you're in it unless something removable is affected, Jogo attack got blocked by infinity but still hit.

I think also when Gege wrote the Jogo fight he hadn't fully formed how Domain Expansion works. Gojo says any cursed technique is guaranteed to hit in there, which is basically true. However later it's described as your domain will have a "guaranteed hit" attack rather than anything you do in there being guaranteed to land. Jogo's really slow moving big rock always felt like an odd example of guaranteed to hit too. Whereas Mahito being able to transform your soul as long as you're in his domain or Dagon's piranhas only existing the moment they touch you are much easier to understand examples of guaranteed hits.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also whoever said Charles falling for a really obvious romance manga true was on the money. It's really funny but also informs his character as a bad Mangaka really well.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hakari's is a lethal domain because if he uses it on someone like Yuji their head will implode like Scanners when their brain gets the info dump

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Nah namamis DE is basically personas negativity ghost from one piece where the character is crushed by nanami being disappointed in them

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Being so bad at blackjack the casino blackballs me in pity

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kashimo is pretty cool. I'm not sure if Panda is out or not yet. His fight with Mechamaru was based around people underestimating cursed corpses too. I feel like his sister finally being revealed and instantly owned would normally indicate that's not the case but I fully expect Gege to play it how it currently appears.

I didn't expect Panda to be owned so comprehensively so fast but the set-up for this colony has always been Hakari vs Kashimo. Hakari specifically came here to beat her when they were deciding which colonies to go to. The group thought the Angel was in this colony and Hakari said he'd go there as he's the strongest to deal with Kashimo.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see the end of the Charles fight and instead just see Hakari arrive to save Panda. Then we'll finally have the jackpot reveal when Kinji's fighting Kashimo and looks like he's in a more dire situation than he ever was against Charles.

I'm assuming Hakari will impress Kashimo as a modern sorcerer, I'm also hoping they'll give some insight on Hakari's unusual cursed energy texture.

I've seen some people anticipate a death early on in the culling game to keep us on our toes and suggested Hakari as the most likely. I don't think it will happen though, at least not against Kashimo. Hakari's been hyped up by Gojo and Okkotsu as being on their level so dunking on some weakling before losing to Kashimo would be lame. It wouldn't make Kashimo seem next level strong to me it would just make Hakari feel like a narrative bust. Hakari's energy and vibe is also a really great addition to the crew and it would suck to lose that so soon.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The lightning seems super powerful but it's not clear if Kashimo has to hit once for every strike or if as soon as they land once the target is positively charged for the remainder of the fight. Even so I don't think we've seen Hakari show us how good he is by far. He was able to beat Charles pretty easily hand to hand despite Charles being able to predict the future. I don't think Hakari will have an easy time or anything but I'd be surprised if he loses when they face off. I'm assuming a lot based on how complimentary Gojo and Okkotsu are about Hakari of course. After seeing Okkotsu handle a 3 v 1 essentially I'd be bummed if Hakari can't take on a single albeit impressive special grade.

Glad also we've stuck to the theme of "X is insanely fast!" at least once per fight

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also him actually showing us a domain expansion earns him my current arc MVP award regardless of Yuta soloing Sendai

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

For his attack, my assumption he can fire a lightning bolt once he tags someone, and I am also assuming the lightning bolt is more powerful depending on the number of charges.

We clearly have not seen Kashimo go all out, and Strong as Hakari is Charles still got some hits in.

From looking at them both and Hakari just seems like a bad match up. Kashimo seems like he is both faster and stronger in a slug fest which Hakari also likes, but being in close range with Kashimo is terrible for his opponent as his attacks can’t be blocked. (You get electrocuted and then he can freely hit you with a lightning bolt.)

Also Maki said Okkotsu was overplaying Hakari.

That tracks for sure. I’m just wondering if once the lightning lands it resets their charge to null. Not that even getting hit once is a particularly good outcome for anyone.

Kashimo is a nasty fight for anyone who fights in close I think with weapons or not. Hakari at least has ranged attacks with the doors (and I’m assuming balls) outside his domain that he didn’t use on Charles. I don’t see how Hakari wins either with what he’s shown so far but I’m curious how tanky he is.

I don’t doubt my Queen but I have more faith in Gojo and Okkotsu rating him because Hakari definitely has a personality type she’d hate imo. Either way I’m super keen to see what happens with Kashimo.

I desperately want to see someone from 400 years ago experience Private Pure Love Train

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

On paper right now I'd rate Kashimo as a slightly worse version of Naobito; possessing superior speed to his opponents which robs them of initiative, and having an unblockable technique. What's better here is that Kashimo's cursed energy alone can guarantee a ranged attack once the conditions have been met. And he still hasn't shown his actual CT and potential Domain or anti-domain techniques and he's likely to have the latter because even 400 years ago sorcerers were more into PvP than the modern era.

Hakari for his part hasn't really been going all out by any stretch against Yuji or Charles. Like Higuruma his domain seems geared towards creating a win condition rather than being the win condition like modern domains. So him busting it out early in the fight isn't him being desperate or anything he's just mostly being an rear end to Charles. But really Hakari's CT just doesn't seem that good. His sliding doors have been dodged by literally everyone he's used them on and if he can throw little pachinko balls that's also really lovely. Having rough CE also doesn't seem nearly as potent as electric CE because it's still blunt damage it just hurts a bit more than normal. I honestly found Higuruma's Gavel more impressive because it can change sizes to facilitate a lot of situations. Yuji only survived so long because of his crazy durability I imagine most other sorcerers get splatted like bugs.

I don't mind Yuta praising him but unless we see a serious Hakari really dominate I think Kashimo is going to roll him up and light him up. Not that I doubt both Gojo and Yuta's estimations of Hakari but he's only strong relative to modern sorcerers. Kashimo for all we know was the cream of the crop of his time.

e: on rereading the text says "like electricity" so I guess Kashimo really is just separating RCE from CE energy and the lightning is produced from that rather than them creating lightning first and separating charges. I am still not certain that isn't their technique though or that they'll have one on top of that but we will see.

I agree Hakari's technique in isolation is pretty bad though lol. I was thinking when rereading the previous chapter that we're never going to see the doors hit anyone. Now that we know his technique outside of his domain is presumably just the doors and balls it's not that good. I am hoping there is more to it but I don't think that's likely. If he's just really good hand to hand like Itadori then that can carry him pretty far especially considering the edge on his energy. I wonder if DE is just something Hakari can do a lot more easily than others so he can use it multiple times a day like Gojo.

I disagree with you that Hakari's only strong relative to modern sorcerers but not older ones. That may be the case of course but I don't think we can reliably infer it yet. Gojo and Yuta compare him directly to themselves in both cases, not to other modern sorcerers. We've seen Yuta crush a bunch of old sorcerers and obviously Gojo would be even more dominant.

I think you can qualify both sets of praise of course. Yuta seems pretty self-deprecating and modest so it's not hard to see why he rated Hakari as potentially better than himself even if it's not true. Gojo's rating also is hard to take as gospel just because of how far beyond everyone else Gojo is it's hard to take it seriously when he says they'll be on his level some day. Gojo's birth fundamentally changed the entire Jujutsu society which the other two absolutely did not or have not yet. Though on that final point it's worth remembering limitless and the six eyes are known quantities whereas Yuta and Hakari are not.

All that said I don't think Gojo or Yuta would have said about another sorcerer (like Naobito or people on that level) what they said about Hakari which to me counts for a lot.

As much as I love Panda I really hope we get Hakari vs Kashimo next week instead of Panda chuckling and telling Kashimo they activated his trap card.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 16, 2022

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Artists rendition of Hakari vs Kashimo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Hakari rapidly rising up the cool af chart. Although drat if every character isn't p loving cool in this story.

I'm a official release man but this is getting me hyped. Hakari nation will be rewarded brothers

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Official chapter is up

Hakari showing up with a boatload of cursed energy and even more positive energy (it is a pun). Definitely feel like his domain expansion jackpots can be restorative or amplify his cursed energy reserves

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

TheHan posted:

Hakari better brutalize this guy

Bread Set Jettison posted:

We are in desperate need of Pachinko justice

Join me in Hakari nation, where this is guaranteed

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Still behind, but aw, Nobara. :(

You’re the only person who doesn’t need to use spoilers lol

But agreed

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

It seems he gets to keep the boost from a Jackpot for a time.

Despite this cool entrance I am betting on Kashimo for the victor.

Yeah the fact that Kashimo is looking for Sukuna feels like they are being set up to deal with Yuji not to lose out here. I still want Hakari to win and amn't sold on him being beaten here too but definitely not confident he'll win.

I'm still not sure if Kashmo's charges are CE and RCE yet or just electrical charges using technique, I guess that will become clearer later. If the former I wonder if a good sorcerer could nullify the charge to avoid the sure hit.

Also if Kashimo is being set up to fight Itadori then he will definitely need to finally pull out either his own or Sukuna's technique because he has nothing in the tank to deal with her that Hakari doesn't. Black flashes won't mean a whole lot against the lightning or if he can't land them.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well the sorrowful look followed by the aversion of gaze is generally a bad sign.

I wonder if she's still being held in suspension by that Kyoto school guy's ability but that they can't heal her even with Ieiri's power. I think it would be cool if Nobara healed herself while in a coma by figuring out RCE like Gojo did. Would also be a good way to boost her abilities on her return

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 23, 2022

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

It does not have anything to do with RCT or RCE. It's just a part of Electricity. He can manipulate it to only implant a positive charge into what he hits, so the Negative charge he releases will seek and hit the Positive one.

That was my initial reading too and I still think it's more likely the correct one. The final explanation of the power makes it sound more ambiguous though, specifically "Kashimo separates the cursed energy's charges like electricity". I still think it's probably just electrical polarity though.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Itadori 100% does not have his own Technique. Gojo with his Six Eyes confirmed he did not, and Higuruma's Technique took his Cursed Energy because he lacked one. Also pretty certain Yuji will never inherit Sukuna's Technique because it would have come up by now if he would have.

He doesn't have one yet for sure but no time like the present to develop one. We've seen him grow explosively in a lot of fights. He also has a lot more Sukuna in him post Shibuya than he did before hand. Gojo also pretty explicitly states he will get Sukuna's cursed technique. I checked that Tumblr someone linked earlier of translation problems in the official release and it mentions the page just before this having an issue but doesn't say anything about this panel. I also tried to check the scanlation sites for current chapters linked in the thread but their old chapter archives are just rips of the official English volume release.

I think Yuji definitely should have the skill and capacity for a technique by now so he just needs the opportunity to develop it.

e: If you're just arguing that Gege is not going to do that rather than it was never said then I still don't agree. I don't think we're never going to get a technique from Yuji or he'll have basically hit his skill cap already. As we've seen no skill at all I still think Sukuna's is the most likely. Also considering just how devastating Sukuna's is it makes sense for Gege to hold off giving him something that strong.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 23, 2022

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I Am Fowl posted:

I wonder where Cursed Techniques came from if you can't develop them.

People are born with them. Stuff like limitless or Megumi's shadow beasts are non bloodline things. Or people are just born with new ones like presumably Hakari due to how modern his is. It just means you won't suddenly get one if you don't have it from birth.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

You don’t develop a Cursed Technique. You either have one or you don’t.

I know about Gojo saying Yuji would inherit Sukuna’s Technique, I just think he’s wrong like he has been about most things Sukuna. If Yuji were to get it, I think it would have been mentioned again or showed signs of happening before now.

Edit: Yuji has not entirely hit his Skill cap, Kusakabe is a Sorcerer with no Innate Technique, so Yuji could always follow in his footsteps and learn Simple Domain.

I mean that's true generally but the entire culling game is predicated on the fact that Kenjaku was able to create sorcerers from normal people in two ways. By turning them into vessels or by manipulating their brainstems with idol transfiguration. Obviously that's not normal or something that will be happening a lot, but Yuji isn't fundamentally different than all the old timey sorcerers in the culling game. The difference is the person he's sharing a body with can't just overrule him like all the others. Yuji also had no cursed energy until he consumed the finger which means the cursed energy he has cultivated and controlled now is presumably also coming from Sukuna. Gojo has been wrong about stuff I'm sure but I don't see any reason to assume that he's not correct here especially with everything else we've seen.

I considered Yuji could get simple domain if he doesn't get a technique but that isn't a big leap up in power from where he is now. It stops domains instagibbing him for sure but it doesn't really make him any better off in basically any fight we've seen. Kusakabe is good for sure but I expect Yuji to be out of his league.

Also this discussion just generally reminds me that we don't know what Sukuna's actual technique is, so I'm excited to find that out too as time goes on. If Kashimo wins here and gets to see Sukuna maybe we'll find out then

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Limitless and Ten Shadows are Bloodline things, as Cursed Techniques are hereditary. Though you can just have something unique to yourself.

A dyslexia lol I meant to write “known”

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lol Sukuna doing the roadroller move

I suppose with stuff like Uraume and Kenjaku around it makes a lot more sense now why Sukuna wants the ability to pop out for a chat without Yuji knowing or being able to stop him. At least it looks to me when Sukuna is in control Yuji has vague memories of it at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think Yuji has all memories about what happens. He knows everything Sukuna did in Shibuya and was aware for all of it.

That's true though Sukuna does show him the ground zero after. Does he ever mention Sukuna's conversation with Uraume?