Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
There's no way Kenjaku's master plan is to just have sukuna beat Gojo in the fight we just saw. He's been alive for centuries if his plan was that weak he'd just wait for Gojo to die of old age. So yes something is going to happen and it could be finger.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Even Orochimaru at least lost his arms to the third. Sukuna came out of this stronger... kind of crazy to spend a year and a half of the manga on breaking gojo out then killing him like this.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I only read this series two weeks ago and it was pretty funny seeing the comment section just becoming "where's nobara" after a certain point.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

What were Hakari's actual odds to win last time? Didnt he hit a 1/219 in the first spin on the end? His power can beat anyone if he's written to just hit ridiculous odds over and over.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

yum posted:

This is in contrast to Gojo, who wasn't truly enlightened. He was almost there after encountering Toji, but he regressed and stagnated due to Geto. Geto posing the question of whether he was the strongest because he is Gojo Satoru or if he's Gojo Satoru because he's the strongest made him question his identity, and he became unsure of himself. I think Gojo was basically frozen in time from that point on, as he never really progressed beyond this question to his self-concept.

Maybe thats the story's intention. But it doesnt fit with Gojo's character to me. He's like the least miserable person alive. He defied the entire JJK power structure. Characters constantly tell us that Gojo wasnt committed to anything when he always did what he thought was right. He constantly talks about how selfish he is but loved the students more than anyone. He dreamed too big thinking he could beat Sukuna AND save Megumi (or earlier thinking he could minimize casualties in Shibuya). And he acts like his 1v1 with Sukuna was selfish but #2 even tells us that anyone else would just get in the way.

Gojo also progressed his jutsu further than anyone alive. If anyone knew who he was it was gojo but yes letting Geto's meat puppet live for no reason always felt odd and maybe thats what we're supposed to focus on.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Shouldnt yuuji and hammer both be immediately dead? Or am I not understand sukuna's powers?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

his domain expansion is the “you are instantly pureed” version of his attack, the ones he’s using now take some minimal effort/aiming
What was the thing he did when he cut the top of pompadour's head off?

MonsterEnvy posted:

How do you understand his powers? Cause I have no reason to think they would be dead.
I thought he could cut things almost instantaneously at almost any close-ish range.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

yum posted:

its just another one of those things that’s so obvious in its simplicity, like why didn’t I think of that, no poo poo having another pair of arms and mouth would be advantageous when the fighting system is based around hand seals and chants. Cutting space is another example, or the concept of an open domain expansion. No one bothered to even imagine them as possibilities in the first place.
But having a second mouth doesnt make sense! Where is his second set of vocal cords! And if he's jutsuing the words out why does he need a cosmetic mouth to start with!

Comedy man can end this fight whenever he wants btw.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Is it common to call Kenjaku Geto? Cause if so man that is confusing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Naruto might be a little better than "fine".

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

MHA felt like by the book shonen with awkward dips into brutal abuse subplots with Eri and Endeavor. I stopped reading around the time multiple man split like crazy.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 12, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

Watching Shibuya with my anime-only buddies:

"First all-girls team up in the series and they need to get rescued from the no-name twink by a big strong man."
"Yuji and Fushiguro wouldn't need rescuing from this guy."
"It's okay; the author is a woman so it's not sexist."
"Is... Gege Akutami a woman?"
"She is, isn't she? Otherwise, oh no laughs."
Nobara deflects the hand blade and dude tells her to 'read the room' "Don't interrupt the scene; men are talking."
"This isn't really selling me on Nobara being 'the third protagonist' if that's what they were going for."
"It's just Yuji and Fushiguro."
"No, the third protagonist is Gojo laughs."
"Oh my god - he just told her to go back to the kitchen!"

I'm starting to realize why my impressions of Nobara's place in the story seemingly differs from those of the internet fanbase.
You guys told me the woke mind virus wasn't real.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Taima posted:

The problem is he loving killed all of the best characters and it's so weird that he did that in retrospect. The narrative heart of the series died in Shibuya, and so did the character-based writing. It was like Gege gave up, and was just like "I can't fix this so lets play with cool action figures for 100 chapters while the main character pretty much completely fucks off"
I think this is overstated. Or was, until Gojo died. The characters who died up through Shibuya were remote control robot (unimportant), Nanami (who always had death flags), Mahito (I assume no one was sad to see him go), volcano head (funny and all but always a weirdly strong nobody), and Nobara. Which of these characters was the narrative heart of the series?

(Toji and Geto have always been dead.)

Your complaint here is really common, I just don't see a real problem with any of the above except how pointless Nobara's death was given how disgusting Mahito already was.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

I felt Jogo was the heart and soul of the villains.
I'll respect that. But his Shibuya scenes are really his best.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Guys I saw this thing. OMFG.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If posting links or images for context is too much emotional labor maybe it would be better to post on discord instead?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

Nope, but we're probably gonna get one soon.

Also am I remembering right that Gege has stated what happened to Todo and what happened to Choso are two different things even though it's literally the same thing?
I never considered they'd be the same thing. I thought Todo was just being silly and imagining a world where Yuji was his best friend and Choso is 100% certain that this actually happened.

That being said I can totally imagine thinking they were related and once you suspect that wow is it hard for Gege to satisfactorily explain that they arent.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 20, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I mean if we're talking dark here: does Kenjaku pull off their plan and nearly everyone dies? there's also the question of do the other countries go full crazy and start attacking everyone in what's left of japan? this is a manga where I could see us getting the bad ending
The moral would be 1000 year old brain monsters are powerful, and the good guys 1v1 too much.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

He really said that? Todo doing his one armed boogie woogie fake out does not look like someone with a broken spirit.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

EDIT: Nm I have nothing to really add the chapter speaks for itself.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 13, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Kenjaku knew about Higuruma and judging by the way he mentioned him it sounded like it was in more depth than just by kill count. Sukuna may have known about his ability beforehand (there was months of preparation by both sides going into today) as well which means maybe he didnt just get lucky. Obviously still a disappointing outcome tho.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

yum posted:

This translation is extra terrible and a lot of the impact is lost. Especially for Higuruma and the narrator. Higuruma says he’s beyond redemption as he literally cannot look Yuji in the eyes anymore due to the guilt of his actions. And the narrator says something to the effect of Higuruma being a shining gem of talent that is sparkling akin to Gojo Satoru - which entrances Sukuna.

at least, that’s what I got from another translation

Anymore? What changed in the past 24 hours? Higuruma's been a super good guy for months now.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

What does one hit kill sword even mean in a context where the user isnt guaranteed to hit? It's one hit kill if he hits someone with it fatally?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Higuruma needing to be the greatest jutsu genius ever born by far to make this work is kind of silly and load-bearing. But the action was good.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Is there a reason/stakes for fighting sukuna at this point beyond his being a forever murder hobo and this being a good time to stop him? I forgot if he had any real role in kenjaku's plan besides beating sorcerors who go to fight him.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It couldnt just be the elephant? I dont think megumi is psychotic enough to release mahoraga at high school.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Asuron posted:

The idea of a character so utterly self involved, so utterly above humanity despie being a human because he truly understands himself and what he desires is fascinating as a character.
I have trouble believing you actually find this concept fascinating.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Asuron posted:

Why? The concept of self-enlightenment through selfishness, the inverse of how it's normally reached and how the author approaches a being like this would behave in our universe is fascinating, especially with the strong buddhist themes that run through the story.

I think the idea that you can't see why that would be interesting to read about is harder to understand
Speaking truthfully, I don't think enlightenment is real so Sukuna is just a guy who likes to fight and kill people using magic.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yujiro is hilarious and sukuna isnt.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 28, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Are you sure? I feel like this is the first time the good guys in a manga have ever worked as a team.

Brought To You By posted:

Sukuna should have been shown to enjoy a nice bottle of Cognac or something.
This scene but with a barrier

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 28, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The translation I read distinguished toji from normals because he really is zero.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

You're mad because Armin thanked his friend for doing a genocide. I'm mad because Eren wasn't the baby daddy. We're not the same.
The totally literate poster is telling us Eren never liked Mikasa and instead had a secret plot to preserve his sacred genetic material by inseminating historia. You're right, we're not the same.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 2, 2024

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

As someone newer to the series was Megumi popular? He has always been the most confusing character in the series to me. We're told over and over about how great he is and how important he is to everyone but I never understood it. Whereas we meet Yuta and it's immediately clear how awesome he is in basically every way.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I have faith that Inumaki will show up, use one spell, then bleed out of his mouth and pass out as usual.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

EDIT: i forgot he lost both hands. Thats nasty.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Taima posted:

Idk what else to say but I don't think it's ever played out quite like this before :shrug: it's interesting as hell. A series of this popularity never would have been allowed to be detonated like this in the west; the only reason it was able to happen here is the extremely unique properties of serialized manga and mangaka culture.
I disagree and Chainsaw Man was arguably detonated in the same way, with the gun devil being found and killed almost offscreen after setting up a very similar premise to JJK. But it felt more under control. A lot of series set up long-running quests that just get put aside, I don't find the direction of JJK that abnormal except that it's ending so soon.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 6, 2024

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Finally the main character is in the fight.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Gologle posted:

How many death flags did Yuta just raise?
What did he do? This isnt going to be a one on one I expect this is when team Jutsu Society throws everything they have at Sukuna.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't see death flags for Yuta beyond Gege memes. People who die to Sukuna tend to underestimate him at some point or and Yuta has basically been making GBS threads his pants (which I respect) and isnt likely to take a straight fight. Rika will probably bite it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Unrelated but who is "jujutsu society" with the zen'in dead, and why arent they helping out here?