Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lentil Loaf

This is a vegetarian friendly recipe that can be adapted to vegan and/or gluten-free adaptations.

Like many people I've been trying to move towards eating less meat in general and replacing dietary protein with vegetable sources.

I had a dish similar to this ages ago that I can't remember where so this recipe is the culmination of 4-5 different experiments to reproduce it and what is basically its final form.

Ingredients:

3/4 lb green lentils, dry
2 medium onions, diced
3 celery stalks, finely chopped
3-4 small-medium carrots, peeled and sliced to ~1/8" (2-3mm) thickness.
~4 small-medium yukon gold potatoes, peeled, chopped into 1/2"-1/4" (~1cm)
~2 cups stock (chicken here, but vegetable or other works)
6-7 cloves garlic, minced
1.5 tbls paprika
1/2 tsp cumin seed
1/2 tbls dry thyme
1 tbls black pepper, ground
~2-3 tbls BBQ sauce
1 stick unsalted butter (4oz)
1 tbls fish sauce
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup vermouth or dry white wine
1 tbls tomato paste
3 eggs
1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
2 tbls all purpose flour

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F, lightly grease a baking dish (8'x16" pyrex used here).

Bring green lentils + 1/2 of the cumin seeds and 2 cloves garlic to a boil in an equal volume of stock +~10%, keep at rolling boil and reduce to low, cover and let cook until individual lentils are soft and just less than an al dente texture. Instant Pot: Combine all the same as above, pressure cook on high for 20m, 5m after finishing quick release and open. If excess liquid is present sautee briefly and stir until liquid levels are below the level of lentils in the pan. For either method once cooked remove lentils to a large mixing bowl and let cool.

On Medium/ medium-high heat use a dutch oven or large high sided skillet and melt 4oz butter until it just begins to brown, add in remaining cumin seeds, stir for 30s then add chopped onions and fish sauce. Cook until onions begin to soften and then add celery, carrot, potatoes, and tomato paste, continue to stir occasionally, cook until liquids begin to boil away and a fond develops on the bottom of the pan after 1-2 mins without stirring. The vegetables should be slightly softened at this point, if they are not keep cooking, and you may need to add a bit more oil or 1-2 tbls of water. Once vegetables have softened and excess water is cooked away add garlic, paprika, thyme, and black pepper and continue to cook, scraping off fond as you go. Once the garlic and spices are fragrant, add the vermouth or dry white wine and deglaze. Once ~1/2 of the vermouth has boiled off turn off heat, stir until well mixed and keep covered for 5-10 mins IF the vegetables still need to soften a bit (means you probably want to use smaller chunks of potato and carrot if this is the case).

Combine cooked vegetables into the lentils in large mixing bowl and let cool until only warm to the touch (protip a fan works great for cooling these down swiftly). Once mixture is cooled add eggs, breadcrumbs, and AP flour and combine until you get a uniform mix. Taste to see if more salt is desired, add salt and Worcestershire sauce to taste.

Add to baking dish and smooth out surface, cover with foil and cook at 350F for 1h.

After 1h remove foil, increase oven temperature to 425F and use "Roast" setting if you have a top burner or convection oven. Add BBQ sauce to the top of the loaf, spread with spatula or spoon until roughly uniform coating on the surface. Place back into oven once at temp and cook for ~10-15 minutes or until the BBQ sauce has started to dry and carmelize. Please check at 5m intervals the 1st time you make it to make sure your oven does not overcook and burn the BBQ sauce on top.

Remove and let cool on a rack for >45 mins to allow loaf to firm. Slice and remove with knife or spatula.

Comments:

Overall the flavor and texture profile is slightly between an actual meatloaf and a Shepards pie. Eating it is reminiscent of both / somewhere inbetween. I just use whatever cheap BBQ sauce I have on hand from the store and it works fine, others might prefer ketchup or some mix due to nostalgia of other meatloaf preparations. It definitely benefits from having a tangy / sweet note in the topping in my opinion. If using fish sauce pay attention not to oversalt anything else during cooking. I do not salt my lentils until after they are cooked.

I have made this with gluten free flour and breadcrumbs and it works fine. I am confident that you could also skip the egg, animal-based stock, and butter and use coconut oil and some other vegetarian friendly binder and veggie broth for a fully vegan version (also skip the fish sauce for whatever umami you prefer). I have found that mushrooms surprisingly don't work well here and that yukon gold potatoes are ideal but other potato varieties Ive tested (red, russets) also work but not as well.

I've had cold slices of this on white bread with some mayo and tomato slices and its a great sandwich. I've used it in lunch box preps or dinner preps with roasted vegetables or slaw and it pairs nicely. Overall it's a nice recipe that tastes great and uses cheap / easy to keep on hand ingredients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I honestly cannot imagine cooking salmon in any other way than sous vide ever again

Oh? Never thought to try... How do you prep it?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SubG posted:

Cut into fillets (if not already in fillets), sprinkle with salt, bag with a little oil and optionally your favourite aromatics (try to keep them off to the side to avoid hot spots; I use tea bags to make a wee bouquet garni), cook @~120 F/49 C for ~30 minutes, pat dry, sear.

You can go with a higher temperature if you want it firmer (more like a traditional grilled fish texture) or lower if you like the texture raw-er. I'm sure Baldwin and/or jkla have time/temperature tables for salmon fillets.

Thanks!

Ive been happy with my oven roasting for fish but would love to try this out soon as its usually good but not great.