Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

dr_rat posted:

Seems 1954-55 was peak weird rear end aliens, although 1977-78 was pretty cool as well.

Aliens today just seem so dull. Earth needs to start a better marketing campaign so we can attract a more interesting class of aliens again.

the grays have rancid fuckin vibes, no one else wants to come here since they showed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Greys gentrified anal probing and now all the little weirdos that used to stick stuff up our bungholes can't afford to anymore.

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013
I think its great that this chart explains where michelin men came from. they came to earth from space and settled in to make money selling tires. but it is kind of boring that aliens have basically been the same for the last 30 years.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

the grays have rancid fuckin vibes, no one else wants to come here since they showed up

This is basically the plot of Resident Alien, a very good show.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
The Flatwoods Monster being loving huge really improves it as a creature. I feel like pop culture flattens it into just a weird little guy, and that is cute and charming, but the giant version is superior.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

mycatscrimes posted:

The Flatwoods Monster being loving huge really improves it as a creature. I feel like pop culture flattens it into just a weird little guy, and that is cute and charming, but the giant version is superior.

:hmmyes:

I also want to know more about the 1957 thing, that's like the intersection of Star Trek TOS and Doctor Who on a low budget day.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
What the hell was Enormous Face Man from 1972??

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

graph! graph! graph!

Who's the saucy little leggy fellow just to the right of the Flatwoods Monster?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I also want to know more about the 1957 thing, that's like the intersection of Star Trek TOS and Doctor Who on a low budget day.

Pretty sure you had tons of other stuff like Outer Limits?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Detective Thompson posted:

Bender decided to stay in the past :ms:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a similar graphic, with dates & locations

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Hygiene posted:

Which one? You're got the Old Saybrook Blockheads and the dudes in helmets and grey coveralls who abducted Antônio Vilas-Boas

Detective Thompson posted:

A French railway worker found some tiny aliens loving around on the railway tracks in the middle of the night. Most of the reports I've seen didn't mention that they lacked arms but the most popular depiction I've seen drew them like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marius_Dewilde

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 08:13 on Mar 22, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lol, Alien Satan there.

Also love the flying saucer parked on the railroad exactly like Transport Tycoon.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

12 should really get that growth checked out

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

EasilyConfused posted:

12 should really get that growth checked out

He was just looking for someone to free him from the Chinese finger trap.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Both those charts are kinda inaccurate, since they’re using the later versions of the Betty and Barney Hill story, derived from hypnosis. Before the hypnosis, the aliens were first described - mostly from Betty’s dreams - as pale humans in blue/black military-style uniforms. They were of short-ish stature (like 5’ to 5’5”) with dark hair, big noses, and hats.

The revised version, from their hypnosis sessions, came several years later - likely based on an episode of The Outer Limits - and ended up being the origin of today’s “greys”.

(I’d note here that colour TV was not yet popular in the early 1960s, and plenty of shows - like Outer Limits - were still filmed in black and white. Aliens were grey by default, onscreen.)

SuperMechagodzilla has a new favorite as of 16:45 on Mar 22, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Which one? You're got the Old Saybrook Blockheads and the dudes in helmets and grey coveralls who abducted Antônio Vilas-Boas

It's the blockhead, I'm not sure I remember reading about them before. They're weirdly endearing, a new favorite!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Betty Hill later talked about believing the aliens were from a cold planet because they looked like Indigenous people from Tierra del Fuego (I believe) she had seen in a documentary, but also talked about them looking Italian. Barney compared them to Boston Irish-Americans who dressed like Nazi officers from World War II. Betty specifically mentioned the leader alien wearing an ascot and others wearing jackets and caps and speaking accented English.

When I went through the Betty and Barney Hill archives at University of New Hampshire a few years ago, Betty had a really amazing picture of the ascot-wearing alien looking very jaunty. You can see it here, second row on the far right: https://license.unh.edu/product/BettyandBarney1

I'll say it was a weird experience to be able to be able to pick up and look at the actual iconic winged-flying saucer picture that Barney drew of the UFO.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Interesting because it's a lot more diverse than I expected. I assumed that the type or form of alien would trend, with some types coming into or out of fashion.

Then again, some ufologists have played their universes with multiple species so 🤷‍♀️

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

A French railway worker found some tiny aliens loving around on the railway tracks in the middle of the night. Most of the reports I've seen didn't mention that they lacked arms but the most popular depiction I've seen drew them like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marius_Dewilde

Yeah, the Wikipedia article isn't very descriptive (I assume the original French descriptions aren't either), but those little guys are very charming. Thanks.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Both those charts are kinda inaccurate, since they’re using the later versions of the Betty and Barney Hill story, derived from hypnosis. Before the hypnosis, the aliens were first described - mostly from Betty’s dreams - as pale humans in blue/black military-style uniforms. They were of short-ish stature (like 5’ to 5’5”) with dark hair, big noses, and hats.

The revised version, from their hypnosis sessions, came several years later - likely based on an episode of The Outer Limits - and ended up being the origin of today’s “greys”.

(I’d note here that colour TV was not yet popular in the early 1960s, and plenty of shows - like Outer Limits - were still filmed in black and white. Aliens were grey by default, onscreen.)

oh yeah specifically they had noses like jimmy durante, until they didn't

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

That's the most charming version of the Kentucky goblin aliens I've ever seen. I wish some li'l guys like that would swarm my cabin, that would be adorable.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"i saw a naked guy!"
"oh"
"IT WAS FUCKIN CRAZY DUDE"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Knormal posted:

That's the most charming version of the Kentucky goblin aliens I've ever seen. I wish some li'l guys like that would swarm my cabin, that would be adorable.

They seem like they'd be down to party.

I love that one because these weird little guys show up and aren't hostile at all but the people encountering them being Americans they get a shotgun greeting.

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

graph! graph! graph!

I wish there was something explaining all of these. A bunch I recognize but a few i've never seen before. Like the Three Eyed Giant or the little white thing with the giant dong.

This channel has a few videos about weird encounters with lesser known entities. I found this one particularly interesting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URBxJvwSzZw

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 03:27 on Mar 24, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

There's a fun episode of Monster Talk out today featuring the author of "The Science of Weird poo poo: Why Our Minds Conjure The Paranormal", which discusses a few popular UFO cases and how they're related to things like your brain's limitations on perceiving reality and constructing memories. It's worth a listen, but they mentioned something in passing that I'd completely missed - a report from the All-domain Anomaly Resolution Office assessing the US government's records pertaining to UFO UAP activities since the 1940s, including the claims that went into that House panel last year. I haven't read the full report but the executive summary is pretty funny, it's basically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-e46xdcUo

in textual report form.

Of course, they don't completely dismiss everything, it's the usual mix of some cases and most claims being outright or very likely dismissible based on the evidence, and the assertion that many of the remaining cases would likely be explainable with better observational data. It's about what you'd expect, I just thought it was funny to see an official report like that come out right after being reminded of that panel upthread. And of course, it could all be a governmental coverup :tinfoil:)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The 'extinct animals' thread in GBS made me look up the recent thylacine evidence and I found this alleged photo from 2019:

It sure looks like a fox which has lost most of its tail fur to mange to me. :shrug: It's the wrong shape and colour for a thylacine and it doesn't have the distinctive stripes along its rump.

The photo was taken on a walking trail between Beacon Point and Portarlington according to a newspaper article and that's a heavily developed region on the mainland which is mainly covered in farmland and the remaining forested areas are extremely sparse, which is exactly where you'd expect to see a lot of foxes.

Google maps link

The experts always tell us that the thylacines could be hiding in remote unclaimed wildernesses of Tasmania and yet somehow all these sightings keep happening in semi-rural areas on the mainland, how odd

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

The experts always tell us that the thylacines could be hiding in remote unclaimed wildernesses of Tasmania and yet somehow all these sightings keep happening in semi-rural areas on the mainland, how odd

I mean, that's just because all the people are. From what I understand of the Australian wilderness anyone who wanders out there will be horribly killed, taking their photographs of thylacines, and bunyips and such as well, along with them.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Charles Ford posted:

I mean, that's just because all the people are. From what I understand of the Australian wilderness anyone who wanders out there will be horribly killed, taking their photographs of thylacines, and bunyips and such as well, along with them.

So tassie wilderness is a lot diffren't than the center of Australia "outback". So pretty sure where they "think" a thylacine might be would be cold, wet, pretty rain foresty type deal.

So actually lovely place to hike in, but yeah if you're going off track super easy to get lost if you don't know what you're doing. Other than getting lost and possibly dying of exposure -which is a real risk particularly in the winter- I wouldn't really call it that dangerous. No crocs, far to cold for them, it does have a few snakes you'd want to look out for, but snakes are pretty good at making themselves scarce.

Like on risky places to hike I'd put it fairly low. The main problem is like half of Tasmanias a national park and quite a bit of that is pretty thick forest, so even if you were very close to one you may not even see it. Unforuntly it does seem extremely unlikely though, just as there's been no signs of any in a long time, but it's not 100% impossible.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The thylacine is probably the only cryptid (if you really want to call it that) that has an actual chance of (still) existing, but that chance is still basically above absolute zero as opposed to below zero for essentially everything else.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's some obscure underwater cryptids that are probably legit. Mothman is also objectively real

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Ask a local Yowie for the local Tigers phone number

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Gaius Marius posted:

There's some obscure underwater cryptids that are probably legit.
Beebe's Untouchable Fish, for example.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Currently reading a book about sea- and lake-monsters in and around Iceland. Early in the book there's a quote by bishop and scholar Jón Vídalín (1660-1720) where he says "If men truly knew what dwells in the depths no one would dare to dip even their little finger into the sea.".

I'm trying to find the original source to see if the good bishop goes into any more detail. I doubt it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Currently reading a book about sea- and lake-monsters in and around Iceland. Early in the book there's a quote by bishop and scholar Jón Vídalín (1660-1720) where he says "If men truly knew what dwells in the depths no one would dare to dip even their little finger into the sea.".

I'm trying to find the original source to see if the good bishop goes into any more detail. I doubt it.

Evidence of the ur-goon unveiled at last

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Gaius Marius posted:

There's some obscure underwater cryptids that are probably legit. Mothman is also objectively real

Some biologist (Darren Naish?) did an ecological and discovery analysis of marine animals once and concluded there were probably some sizeable marine animals yet to be discovered. Hell, we're still discovering land mammals albeit usually small ones.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

FreudianSlippers posted:

Like to know what he did to the water

How!
Oct 29, 2009

This is not a dril!

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

FreudianSlippers posted:

fyi loch nessy is fake, ogopogo is real, megalodon is also real but he's a bit of a prick (owes me 50 dollars, dumbass bought an nft with it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

How! posted:

This is not a dril!

Oh drat, my friend's from Winnsboro!