Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

FreudianSlippers posted:

30 meters as long as the largest blue whales. Blue whales being he largest animal ever to exist. That thing would have to weight at least a 100 tons. I'm no kaiju biologist but I think it would be pretty difficult for something that large to walk around on just two legs
Blue whales only have two fins, seems to check out to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

stereobreadsticks posted:

That's the one. I haven't seen that picture in over 20 years. I definitely didn't remember how messed up her face was.
I had the same book, at the time I definitely didn't mind how messed up her face was.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Also also, Stonehenge aside all the famous monuments in Europe are built with traditional building techniques of stacking a shitload of small stones and it's easy to see how people built them. There's nothing in Europe you could really claim aliens built without implying the aliens are just basic-rear end masonworkers. The structure in Europe built with the biggest stones I think of is the Mycenaean Lion's Gate, and it's stones are tiny compared to the big stones in the Pyramids. Though it's worth noting as a sidenote the Classical Greeks couldn't imagine how regular people could have built such a building and decided it must have been built by Cyclopes, so Europeans have been underestimating people's building skills for thousands of years.

To bring in some more questionably-racist claims from Europeans, you guys know who built the biggest pyramid in the world? Why the ancient Bosnians of course! It's just that it's so old and so big it's been covered with dirt and is overgrown with trees so it looks like a mountain, but if you did under that dirt there's stone under there so obviously it's a manmade pyramid.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnian_pyramid_claims

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Now here is a something of a 'white whale' for me. There is a book called The Field Guide to North American Monsters (very tongue-in-cheek) which features a monster called Penelope, basically a person mutated by toxic waste that roams the Sierra Nevada.

I am starting to conclude the source of this story is ONLY from that book as a complete troll, but I do wonder if anyone has heard of it elsewhere.

http://www.weirdca.com/location.php?location=163
I've never heard of that one before despite growing up in California, but the description sounds an awful lot like the wendigo. The original Native American version, not the modern bigfoot or deer-antler version. It kind of seems like they just moved it west and gave it a "scientific" origin.

veni veni veni posted:

Don't get me wrong white people are racist as gently caress I'm just hesitant to call this specific breed of nutjob racially motivated.

I will not see this man slandered

I think this whole discussion can be summed up that the originators of ancient alien stuff were pretty darn racist, but the modern believers aren't necessarily coming at it from a conciously racist place, and a lot of them probably aren't even aware of its origins.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Please don't post Small Boar.

https://i.imgur.com/hGF0IYn.jpg

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Mutant Headcrab posted:

My favorite ghost hunting show was Paranormal Home Inspectors.
Good internet person Jenny Nicholson did a breakdown of this show a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wG9m-eYNiM

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also I have no firm evidence to explain why the chupacabra urban legend evolved from "upright spiky reptilian alien vampires" to "coyotes with mange" but I'm just assuming it was random chance that there was a spate of mangy coyote sightings in the US (and possibly some animal mutilations) soon after the chupacabra thing went viral online and people just rolled them up together.
Somewhere early in the chupacabra mythos this got posted as a photo of a chupacabra despite looking more like a Boglin:

I always figured it helped serve as as halfway point between the vaguely humanoid original chupacabra and the mangy dogs that usually get associated with it now. If you accept this as the "true" look of the creature I can see how you could justify to yourself how the original witness misinterpreted a quick view of this as the grey-alien-with-spikes thing as they have a few features in common (big almond-shaped eyes, flat nose, three-fingered hands), but also find commonalities with a decaying dog corpse.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well, an easy way to find out is just to translate the text at the bottom of the woodcut.

Besides obviously not being to scale, the artist’s representation fails to convey various facts - like that the event took place around 4am, and that the image is a composite of various reports from the subsequent hour(s) of people watching the sunrise. The sky was red, and the black shape both appeared afterwards and was pointing in another direction.

The author makes it clear that these are not objects but inscrutable images placed there by God - most of them described as being inside the sun. He also complains that people aren’t taking this seriously. He’s clearly way less concerned with what these spots are than with just urging repentance.

(Imagine that a fuckin spaceship has crashed nearby, and it might literally be an angel sent by God. This is your full report: “yeah, it was doing battle inside the sun. I guess it got tired and hit the ground somewhere? There was some smoke. The end.”)

So picture the scene: it’s fuckin’ dark because it’s basically night-time. The sun starts rising, and it’s unusually red. Sleepy Germans are looking up at the spectacle, and seeing a few glowing red shapes around the sun - like maybe clouds backlit by the red sunrise???

In any case, it seems like most people there did not see these as signs from God, and just shrugged and went on with their lives.
Wikipedia has a translation of the Latin, and the first part really reminds me of a creepypasta with the way everything's blood.

quote:

In the morning of April 14, 1561, at daybreak, between 4 and 5 a.m., a dreadful apparition occurred on the sun, and then this was seen in Nuremberg in the city, before the gates and in the country – by many men and women. At first there appeared in the middle of the sun two blood-red semi-circular arcs, just like the moon in its last quarter. And in the sun, above and below and on both sides, the color was blood, there stood a round ball of partly dull, partly black ferrous color. Likewise there stood on both sides and as a torus about the sun such blood-red ones and other balls in large number, about three in a line and four in a square, also some alone. In between these globes there were visible a few blood-red crosses, between which there were blood-red strips, becoming thicker to the rear and in the front malleable like the rods of reed-grass,

"And then the moon slowly rose back up over the horizon and said 'Ben drowned'!"

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I think a lot of it comes from wanting to see something no one, or at least very few people, have ever seen in this age where everything's been explored. Two hundred years ago you could daydream about sailing to some remote island no human had ever set foot on before and find living dinosaurs and who knows what else, and as far as anyone knew that was possible. Now we've explored everywhere and I can Google up the rarest creatures in seconds, so we've had to start fantasizing about weird things in our own backyards. I know when I'm out hiking around I often think about how cool it'd be to find something totally unexpected, not a bigfoot or anything but like someone's released pet alligator or something. Just that thrill of "what the hell is that!?" you don't get in your normal day-to-day.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

A very coincidentally-timed episode of Monstrum just went up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZhrOnxbccY

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

He was a man, and she was a floating head with her organs freely hanging below her and required human blood to live
Can I make it aaaany more obvious?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

New Bioshock looks good.

I appreciate that it has the same "NURSE was a MAN with a HOOK" word emphases.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

That poor lady has to settle for a bigfoot with male pattern baldness, what bad luck :(

Did anyone else watch Expedition Bigfoot on the Travel Channel? It just wrapped up season two, but they proudly proclaimed they were able to return with definite proof of bigfoot: A plaster cast of a footprint.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

They played a cut-down version of one of those as a segment on Sightings or one of those other mid-90's spooky mysteries shows and it scared the hell out of me. The ending with the aliens just walking casually past the dropped camera really stuck with me, even though Googling up the image now it's so clearly just some kids in masks and black sweatsuits. It's up there in with the Communion cover for me.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Oh man, some grade-A classic bullshit in this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCqlhqPrS7o

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I just want to agree that coming across a cow where you're not expecting one is weirdly terrifying. In my case I was driving through a dirt road in the middle of the desert at night in what I didn't realize was open range, then bam, glowing eyes attached to a big frame right in the middle of the road. My brain had a few seconds of panic trying to interpret it because there's nothing anywhere near that big in the American deserts, then once it came fully into the headlights it was both relieving and disappointing that I didn't just find a surviving ground sloth or something.

Jetto Jagga posted:

News you can use, from an article by David Fideler and Loren Coleman: "Kangaroos From Nowhere." Featured in Fate, Volume 31 - Number 4, April 1978.
They're really stretching with of "all across the country" there.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Captain Hygiene posted:

I Found Bigfoot...Maybe
A fun little article about a group of Bigfoot hunters, I really want to root for them but they fall into the trap of "knowing" they've seen Bigfoot but not releasing much physical or recorded evidence until some vague time in the future when it's been more heavily analyzed. Honestly, they should just upload it all for the public and say up front that they're aware that much of it is capturing other stuff like the bears they mention. Maybe deep down they know that the spooky stuff they recorded is just going to be normal spooky nighttime animals rather than Bigfoots.
That article says it's from 2019, so I'm guessing the analysis didn't go well.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I know this is the cryptids and conspiracies thread so this totally fits, but it being posted here makes me really hope Bigfoot has jetpacks now.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

stereobreadsticks posted:

And finally, we have De Loy's Ape. It's a nonsensical racist hoax that I've talked about in this thread before but it's also a genuinely creepy image of a dead spider monkey propped up in a very unpleasant way.

I had a Time-Life cryptozoology book with that photo and it scared the hell out of me as a kid. What did they do to that monkey to make it so horrible?

Pretty impressive dong though for a non-human primate.

Along the same lines of childhood trauma I'd like to add this drat thing staring out at me from the paperback racks at supermarkets.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

That's just straight-up the Dinosauroid from the early 80's, smokin' a doob.

https://tetzoo.com/blog/2021/8/30/dinosauroid-at-nearly-40-years-old

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

eDNA is also the death knell for most cryptids. As I understand it it's pretty widely used in sampling what species are present in an area nowadays, and an unexpected primate or archosaur would certainly get you a much better grant if you found it. Granted if you're looking for a specific endangered frog or something a bigfoot probably wouldn't turn up, but I have to imagine there's enough general samplings done that something would turn up somewhere.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Marcade posted:

This photo reminds me of this video
I was thinking of the gnome video, which remains one of the most confusing reactions to a cryptid I've seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBCd3w3192Y

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

"A 41cm Bigfoot track, in this part of Europe, in this part of Britain, located entirely within Cannock Chase in Staffordshire?"
"Yes."
"Can we see it?"
"...No."

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

They're not "real" cryptids, but the algorithm gave me YouTube video the other day about an artist creating an alt-history with giant bug cryptids that seems pretty cool and relevant to the discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH85bbDm1xI

Also this new Monstrum that just went up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wws89pdCDY

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

In the 1800s and early 1900s there were a whole bunch of sensationalist newspaper reports of UFOs which were made out of wood and canvas and had propellers
Yeah, those are interesting. In most cases when people claimed to have interactions with the occupants they were just supposed to be mad scientists or strange foreigners or something, but I didn't realize a few of them actually claimed the airships were piloted by Martians. I also didn't realize the first sighting was in my hometown.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_airship

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

nonathlon posted:

That is weird. Most of the sightings are of their time - wooden craft with rudders, mad inventors, talk of the enemies and concerns of the day - but there's that small number that could come from a century later, with metallic spaceships and aliens. It demands explanation but what kind of explanation, I'm not sure.
I looked it up to see how influenced by War of the Worlds they might be, and the first Martian ones actually do predate the publication The War of the Worlds by a few years. Not to mention that I imagine it probably took an extra few years for general knowledge of that book to make it to the west coast of America at the time.

But they are right around the height of the Martian canal craze, so I imagine that's where the Martian stuff is coming from. This was when the general public believed "proof" of advanced life on Mars had just been discovered.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The rarest of Pepes.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

These showed up in my Youtube recommendations and they are very much this thread's kind of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh9lGqX_N3U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbXya1vaEkA

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Oak Island is always so bizarre to me because it seems to hinge on the idea that this single pirate ship would somehow have the time and resources to set up this incredibly complex booby trap system. And apparently do so in a way that it would be impossible for even them to get the treasure back later? Like, why would they need do anything more than bury a treasure chest 3 feet underground? No one else is going to stumble across it on this random North Atlantic island in the 1700's. I guess maybe Native Americans, I'm not sure of what their status was in that region at the time, but I'm guessing it wasn't great.

Also the Curse of Oak Island guys got a spin-off, since obviously they've proven to be such adept treasure hunters.
https://www.history.com/shows/beyond-oak-island

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

nonathlon posted:

I think the most recent "theory" about Oak Island attributes it to the Templars, which mostly just adds another level of handwaving over an already vague mystery
Oh yeah, how could I forget about that when the show namedrops the Templars every 10 minutes whenever they find a button or something.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

big dyke energy posted:

Skinwalker Ranch by Colm Kelleher & George Knapp is a classic, too. Seems like the actual ranch is being turned into a tourist destination/merchandise machine now, though.
Don't forget "reality" show!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Alpha, Tamamo-no-Mae's escaped. Assemble a team of geologists with attitude.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Skinwalker Ranch is hilarious because they'll find that something in the ground is emitting radiation and immediate jump to a segment discussing the possibility of underground alien UFO hangers and give at best a casual mention to like, uranium.

It does seem like there's something interesting going on there in a geological sense but man is that not the show to find it.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I watched the first episode, they claimed they did an eDNA test from an east coast "nest site" from last season and it returned chimp DNA. Which would be interesting if true, but I don't trust anything they claim on that show since it seems so curated. The "nest site" was a really unstable-looking pile of branches leaned up against the fork of a tree. And they also find a obviously unnatural circle of sticks in the middle of a river that they claim is a fish trap Bigfoot learned to make by watching the local Native American tribes. Again, it would be really impressive if I thought they actually happened to just stumble across it.

At least Finding Bigfoot had the class to not actually find anything.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpjPzlY7QT8

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

America is apparently littered with dead bodies in every nook and cranny. Recently when Gabby Petito's boyfriend murdered her and then went missing and had presumably killed himself out in the wilderness the police went searching for his body and turned up the corpses of ten other missing people before they found him.
There was a missing person case around here a few years back and when they dredged up an agricultural canal looking for their car they found like four other cars along with it just by this one curve in the road. I think the missing person ended up dead in their car but the others were just dumped from insurance fraud or joyrides or something.

Ever since then I've assumed our waterways are packed full of cars just under the surface.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

BrownPepper posted:

There is at the very least an aesthetic difference and since this stuff is pop culture, aesthetics are as important as anything. I like the Loren Coleman types who make a good faith faith effort to present as serious researchers. Not really into the Bigfoot chaser reality tv guys. They’re funny for like a 15 minute YouTube clip but they’re obviously self aware and cashing in.
The Finding Bigfoot guys are absolutely true believers, the Bigfoot Field Research Organization way predates the show and is probably about as close as you can get to a legitimate bigfoot group. But yeah, the rest seem to be a mix of attention seekers, con artists, and just outright actors.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I always wondered who bought those gigantic metal Sasquatches from Skymall, I guess now that Skymall's defunct they're having to rely on the ones already out there in the world.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Hanging out on bigfoot community discussion boards during that period was amazing with people arguing maybe this time he really DOES have the evidence!!! Let's give him one more chance!!!! This time for sure!!!!! and others going :doh: :doh: :psyduck:
I was a big fan of the comically long tongue. Primate tongues usually can't stick out of our mouths very far, the occasional Gene Simmons type aside, but these guys felt like to really sell the dead look they had to add on a big ol' tongue hanging out like a cartoon character. They should have made some big X's out of cardboard to stick over the eyes to complete the look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Yeah that E.D.G.E. guy has some pretty good cryptid videos, though he suffers a bit from Youtube Inflection at times.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh man, I remember reading about that one when I was a kid (although I don't remember the light beam, just the creature). I got so convinced that pteronadon-ish things could still be around that I was briefly convinced I saw one.
(it was a heron flying quite a ways overhead, we lived near a river)
For some reason people seem to always want to make their pterosaurs light up.
https://www.orang-bati.com/ropen/
https://www.ropens.com/bioluminescence/