Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Winter is in full swing, Gathering quotes and chasing contractors makes me feel I would have a prosperous career in herding cats, and starting to feel some of the stress and we haven't put a shovel in the ground yet. Oh well, on we go and stay positive.

We have had a nice dumping of snow so I went looking around and imagined how the the new home will be once built.

Checked in on the trees we planted and well... hindsight is 20/20

As a city bumpkin with a fully fenced in yard I kinda forgot about the four legged pests that are deer.

So it looks like I put in a ton of effort to feed the deers.

Next year for sure going to be putting some netting over them to hopefully prevent this. We'll see come spring what survives... and what doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Spring has sprung and we are nearing the start of construction. With that we are still in the permitting phase and are awaiting some architectural revisions. Some were from the AHJ review comments and others were from us.

https://i.imgur.com/I7SFqRZ.mp4

With the spring melt comes potential flooding. I'm fairly certain this year was a record year for snowfall, but the melt seems to have been relatively spread out and the river level, while it has risen, hasn't risen enough to cause us any issue... yet.

The snow is mostly melting and the ground is nice and wet. It'll be time to put the fertilizer spikes soon. The trees will need as much help as they can get, the construction activity is definitely going to be stressful for them.

Having had lots of time to consider things, and falling far down the youtube rabbit hole, I've elected to go with exterior insulation strategy aka the 'perfect wall'.

The roof assembly is a bit expensive, but with how prices have gone it's actually more cost effective than the greenstone SIPs so I've asked to revise the strategy to this.

The exterior walls show 2x6 here, but I think I will be going with LVL studs for the project and I've asked if we can revise non-plumbing walls to 2x4. The LVL is a stiffer and stronger product than standard SPF 2x lumber so I'm hoping structurally we'll be able to make this switch. The cost difference between 2x4 and 2x6 LVL studs is about 30%. Going LVL is more expensive that SPF, but chatting with my framer he mentions that the reject rate for standard SPF lumber is between 20-25% in the current market, so that definitely closes the gap and makes it a bit easier to decide to go with LVL.

The basement walls are similar to the stick construction walls. One real big benefit of this insulation approach is that the exterior insulation is continuous from below grade to above grade. The interior studs will be omitted in the 'back of house" spaces like the storage and mechanical spaces, and the dead space around the theater room.

And finally the basement floor assembly:

The other benefit is that the entire structure of the home is within the conditioned space so it adds a lot of thermal mass to the home, and second the structure sees an almost constant temperature so doesn't experience as much thermal contraction and expansion.

Our energy modeller has recommended we use some mineral wool batt in the assembly but I'm a little wary of that. It would be a relatively inexpensive way of increasing the R value of the assembly and it does have sound damping qualities, but I'm worried about interstitial condensation.

I did run some calcs and double checked with an online condensation risk calculator, and using fairbanks alaska as the reference location it shows that the assembly with an R-14 mineral wool batt in the studs is considered 'safe'. My concern here is that we do hit temperatures much lower than the averages so during the coldest winter nights I would think we would get condensation on the interior face of the sheathing. There is the option of using a vapour retarder barrier but then we have two vapour barriers in the system which seems like a recipe for trouble. It would be able to dry to the interior but would be slowed.

So yeah, just debating exactly what to do here. I like the perfect wall system for having a really nice air/water/vapour barrier on the exterior face of the sheathing which makes it almost dummy proof for maintaining continuous control layers, in particular for air sealing. Adding the batt seems risky in my mind because the sheathing temperature will drop to just above freezing during the coldest days of winter (assuming -40°C outside and 20°C inside with R14 batt and R30 exterior insulation) so some form of vapour control would be warranted on the interior surface, but again two vapour barriers in the assembly seems like a recipe for trapping moisture.

The garage I think will be done in MSR lumber to help keep the reject rate lower and costs lower. I think a standard hybrid wall assembly here is warranted since I will run the M&E surface inside the garage so there shouldn't be many penetrations into the wall assembly. The perfect wall is a good amount more expensive than a typical hybrid wall, and might be a bit overkill for a garage that's only conditioned to 10°C during the winter.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
That's a really cool read, I never knew that was an insulation technique.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What's the water situation like at your property? Is it impacting your design/landscape positioning at all?

Also, I think the house looks fantastic.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Right now it's pretty good, even with the recent heavy rains our lot does not have much standing water. The only spot that accumulates some is between the lowest grove of trees and the river bank, where we have the tyndal stone and blocks stacked up, there's a slight depression in the land there and water does accumulate. Otherwise the natural grade of the property lends itself well to shedding water.

The river level I don't think will risk rising above our bank, the ice has all cleared and the locks just downstream are now what sets our river level. Barring some weird weather or crazy circumstances I think no flooding this year.

The fun begins with contractors though, my foundation guy laid some staff off over the winter due to the harsh winter slowing down construction, and now he can't seem to get them to come back so he's had to back out. Leaving me scrambling for a foundation guy on short notice. The search is not going well... I tried a few contacts recommended by the architect and I think we might have to get an external project manager involved who can leverage their existing relationships to line up someone for the foundation. I'm getting a bunch of "sorry but we're all booked up and not looking for additional work" or similar as I'm just Joe-Schmoe-homeowner calling rather than someone who's already got a good working relationship with them. Hopefully the fees aren't too extravagant.

Architectural and Geotech revisions are taking a little longer than hoped, but hopefully should be finalized soon. Bank also feels like it's dragging to get things finalized but we got approved and have signed all their internal paperwork (hello golden handcuffs) and just awaiting some paperwork to be printed and delivered so we can go sign everything in person. Up to now it's been E signatures.

Speaking of geotech, the provincial government wanted some additional data, geotech pushed back a little but decided the path of least resistance is just to go drill some more holes to satisfy them. So we have 6 new holes in the ground.

All of the tailings look similar so I guess that's good?

So yeah, lots of fun and we haven't broken ground yet.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bajaha posted:

Right now it's pretty good, even with the recent heavy rains our lot does not have much standing water. The only spot that accumulates some is between the lowest grove of trees and the river bank, where we have the tyndal stone and blocks stacked up, there's a slight depression in the land there and water does accumulate. Otherwise the natural grade of the property lends itself well to shedding water.

The river level I don't think will risk rising above our bank, the ice has all cleared and the locks just downstream are now what sets our river level. Barring some weird weather or crazy circumstances I think no flooding this year.

The fun begins with contractors though, my foundation guy laid some staff off over the winter due to the harsh winter slowing down construction, and now he can't seem to get them to come back so he's had to back out. Leaving me scrambling for a foundation guy on short notice. The search is not going well... I tried a few contacts recommended by the architect and I think we might have to get an external project manager involved who can leverage their existing relationships to line up someone for the foundation. I'm getting a bunch of "sorry but we're all booked up and not looking for additional work" or similar as I'm just Joe-Schmoe-homeowner calling rather than someone who's already got a good working relationship with them. Hopefully the fees aren't too extravagant.

Architectural and Geotech revisions are taking a little longer than hoped, but hopefully should be finalized soon. Bank also feels like it's dragging to get things finalized but we got approved and have signed all their internal paperwork (hello golden handcuffs) and just awaiting some paperwork to be printed and delivered so we can go sign everything in person. Up to now it's been E signatures.

Speaking of geotech, the provincial government wanted some additional data, geotech pushed back a little but decided the path of least resistance is just to go drill some more holes to satisfy them. So we have 6 new holes in the ground.

All of the tailings look similar so I guess that's good?

So yeah, lots of fun and we haven't broken ground yet.

If I was in Manitoba instead of Ontario, that could have been me that drilled those holes.
I've drilled at more houses, or future houses than I can count. And peed in some of the finest backyards in the province of Ontario.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I just came across your thread (I rarely venture in this forum) but enjoyed reading it and thought about your house on the river during the current issues.

Friends of mine who live in Winnipeg whose wife has been desperate to move out for years finally told me "Yeah, she's right. I've lived most of my life here but I am official sick of our bullshit winters and springs here" and is actively looking to move to our neck of the woods.

Bummer about the foundation. I know here there is also a building boom and I think your gut is right - if you don't know someone who knows someone, you're either at the very bottom of priorities OR are going to pay an absolute massive premium. Maybe both. A project manager with connections might be a good plan and to be honest someone with experience herding the cats, especially for a truly custom, non-spec build, would probably not be a bad idea.

Genuinely wish you good luck with that my man.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The PM's fees sting, but I'm getting closer to acceptance of it. We've got the luxury of time for the build so that's a huge plus for us, but yeah. Things are moving slow... the revised geotech report was finally issued, all good things noted, and was re-submitted for our provincial infrastructure - waterways department to review. The additional review, writing, and whatnot also means they're asking for bunch more fee, so there goes a good chunk of change. With the spring flooding the waterways department is busy with assessing flood damage so they might take longer to review. So we wait. Foundation and framers are tough to come by at the moment, I did find a guy for the foundation and a rather large scope of work, but after the PM ran it by a few structural guys the quote was about double what it should have been. So the search continues. We should have a guy for the flatwork but still finding someone for the foundation. Framer I think I will go with my first pick, but we will frame next year spring. Plan is to get the foundation, flatwork, and basement capped, the grading done, and have the foundation sit over winter covered under poly. Come spring the framer starts and we get the majority of the build going next year. This helps with budget as well since things are stupid expensive at the moment and we're looking like we'll blow well past $1M for the build.

But all is not doom and gloom. Stuff is growing! Grass is green! And I continued my foray into making holes with a crowbar and a hammer. You may laugh, but it's about the easiest way to make a proper sized hole for the evergreen fertilizer pucks. Pound crowbar into the ground, stir with gusto, grunt as you pull the crowbar from the clutches of the moist earth, and deposit one little fertilizer briquette. And repeat. . . . . . . . . . repeat. repeat. repeat. repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat

Per the box you need 1 per inch of trunk diameter, so with these being rather large trees... that's a lot of pounding.

Speaking of moist, the grass is growing quick after a couple weeks of on and off rain, so it was time to cut it. LowerLifeExpectancy.jpg:

Dropped the mowing deck to get the mower belt off.

With the deck off took off the two drive belts. One long one from the motor to the rear, and the short one that rides on the CVT-like pulley that lets you go different speeds.

All back together with the new belts. The smallest belt was the biggest pain in the rear end. I think these should last a good long while, not sure how often these should be changed but I want to say the originals were a decade + old and still worked for the most part, they slipped a little under heavy load. I'm just a masochist so tend to go all out on maintenance.

Old belts for reference.

And the dandelions are growing fiercely now. Neighbors yard **may** be contributing to our weed issues.

Nothing some good ol' chemicals can't help with. Hopefully strengthening the lawn will mean it can battle the weeds a little better. This was just a lawn fertilizer, will see if I need to get a broadleaf weed killer, but hopefully making the lawn

We also moved our temporary shed in anticipation of putting the approach in, and I'm glad we did. With some recent storms we had a nice big part of a tree fall and it would have turned our shed and its contents into an art project. Good luck with the timing on our part.

Also got the stump ground out so that we wouldn't have a future void under the driveway.

And finally, some movement that actually looks like construction! Had the company scrape off the top 6" of soil and pile it up on the lot, lay down geotextile fabric, then dump and compact 40 tons of red limestone for the main construction approach, which will also serve as the base for the main approach to the home.

It is a small thing. But my god, is it majestic.

And here's my pile of dirt

The municipality put the property marker in the wrong spot.. Oh well. It's typically right beside the driveway. We've been using this spot the most because where the actual approach was going is steeper, and there was some bushes constantly growing. Eh, doesn't bug me.

And finally, pulling an old Simpson's reference; Do it for Her. (I can't believe it's almost been a year. Time flies like crazy)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bajaha posted:

And the dandelions are growing fiercely now. Neighbors yard **may** be contributing to our weed issues.

Nothing some good ol' chemicals can't help with. Hopefully strengthening the lawn will mean it can battle the weeds a little better. This was just a lawn fertilizer, will see if I need to get a broadleaf weed killer, but hopefully making the lawn

With a dandelion factory next door you're going to need spring and fall 2,4-D applications to keep your yard under any kind of control. Offer to spray the neighbors property too.

Best time for the first one would be after the first frost of the year this fall. Use something like Surge if you can get it, generic 2,4-D with a surfactant if you can't.

E: I've got one of these and it rules: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200645939_200645939

Motronic fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 16, 2022

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Chemicals will be involved, thanks for the info, will track down what the local garden centers have and will try to time it with the first frost.

I did see one of those pop up on the local kijiji, a bit on the pricey side for a dedicated piece of equipment but... might be worth the expense. Running out of space in the small shed already though.

Anycase, we're still in permit purgatory with Manitoba infrastructure apparently having some issues with the revised report but they haven't shared full comments yet. The year is quickly dwindling away and the revised quotes we got for concrete work were insane so at this point I've conceded to simply pushing breaking ground to the next year. The cost of labour seems to have increased considerably since I first collected quotes so I will be sitting down with the PM and going over VE options and potentially looking at different wall systems. Next few weeks we'll have a better idea of how we want to proceed, it might make sense to go with something with pricier materials but easier install as the labour number is coming up high.

Anywhoooooo.... the landscaping work continues while we twiddle our thumbs and wait for the wheels of bureaucracy to turn. The trees are doing really well with the warm weather and healthy amount of rain we've been getting. The color is quite a bit more vibrant on the new growth and you can really see how much longer the new needles are compared to the old growth.

The store bought ones have really gone all-in on the 'blue' of blue spruce. They got windburned over winter due to a lack of good snow cover but they've recovered really well.

Similarly, the large trees are loving the rain and the fertilizer sticks seem to have done some good with a good amount of strong blue new growth.

Due to the high flow of water and upstream flooding, the nearby locks were kept wide open for quite a while and the river level was quite low for a good while.

Which led me to thinking... so I set things in motion

With the house stalled out, idle hands are the devil's plaything. The blocks we had we made a proof of concept.

And because I apparently revel in physical labour, we knocked down the mock up, tilled up the soil for the planter, decided it was too long and shortened it a little bit, and started placing stones.

We're doing this semi-correctly, the bottom row of bricks is recessed into the soil, almost the full depth of the bricks to provide a more solid base. These aren't interlocking bricks so simply stacking them they aren't the most structurally sound.

Adding in the additional rows of bricks to the desired height.

Apparently one planter isn't enough so we made another circular one our of the same bricks.

Building it up to the same height as the other one. And the eagle eyed among you will notice there's a bunch of new rock here as well.

It was a lot of rock.

And this artist came by, his medium being the skid steer.

And the art: I believe this can be called a Quay, informally it's a fishing and viewing platform.

There will be a few minor changes to what was built but in general the idea is there. They'll be back in the next week or so for those final touches. The planters we took the top course of bricks off from both and used PL600 construction adhesive for stone/masonry to affix the top course to the 2nd layer and now that it's cured it's solid. We'll get a better sense of how it'll last by next year.

The planters are filled with large branches, small branches, mulch, and finally good soil that was removed during the approach installation. The idea is that the organic matter will slowly decay under the soil and provide a natural fertilizer for the plants. It's a work in progress as we still have a ton of dirt to move to finish it, but we'll take our time as we won't be planting anything this year into them anyway.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

:siren: :siren: IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING :siren: :siren:

This is a massive step as we are 17 months from the permit applications with the provincial and municipal governments, countless correspondences, multiple miscommunications, multiple meetings, multiple revisions and additional analysis for the Geotechnical consultant, and multiple revisions to the architectural and structural drawings. All in we're about $100k in additional fees for all the revisions and additional analysis that was required by the AHJs, and a bit of Value Engineering during the process as well. (When you have this much time to look and have to redraw things due to disagreements where setbacks are calculated from, well might as well recoup some cost with VE.)

House's are loving expensive.

I also bought a cellular enabled solar powered camera to keep an eye on the property during construction. Also, we had snow on 4/20.

Next step is for the surveyor to mark out corners so we dig in the correct spot.

Piling contractor is engaged (95k for 67 piles, ouch), and lining up an excavation contractor. Foundation and framing contractors are lined up as well.

Now the real fun, and expenses, can begin.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Bajaha posted:

House's are loving expensive.
New builds especially.

Hopefully most of the lumber hysteria and supply chain poo poo has calmed down (has it?) and this goes as smooth as it can.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Outpiled by a bigger boy. I told you all piles were normal.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

You should see if they will throw in 2 extra piles, just so you can say your house has 69 piles.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nice

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The original design had 69 piles, which was reduced after we shrunk the house footprint to meet the setback requirements :negative: It could have been perfect... it could have been...

Alas, it was not meant to be. The piles are quite beefy on this build, to the detriment of cost since it requires a contractor who's more equipped for commercial work than residential work. The piles are 16" diameter piles, approximately 20' in length, and with a 30" or 36" bell bearing down on glacial till. Essentially we have a deep foundation. From the sounds of it I think our structural consultant went a little overkill, but being on the river and on a slope I think his intent was to minimize any potential impact on slope stability to better appease the AHJs. Essentially this design for the piles means I'm paying 2X+ what a more typical residential piled foundation (say cast in place friction piles) would end up costing.

Regarding material costs, lumber has come down considerably from the peaks, but engineered wood products are up now to the point that I'm told some new homes are switching out LVL beams for steel as it's the more cost effective option. Concrete has also become expensive so that probably explains the high cost of piles as well. That many holes, that deep, and the big bells means they use a considerable amount of concrete total.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Have you put down a piling mat? I can do it for you. We will need to ship my digger to the US. I can probably take it apart and get it in my shipping container and send that to you. Which will be handy as we can then use it as a break room. I'll save you some money by coming myself in the shipping container, theres still some biscuits and teabags in there. But when I get there I will desperately need a portaloo.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

You can just tell everyone it has 69 piles, nobody's gonna count.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

LloydDobler posted:

You can just tell everyone it has 69 piles, nobody's gonna count.

But we already know the truth.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Last year work had given us some small spruce saplings for earth day. This year, the 5 I took are growing nicely.

We had some intense northern lights, so much so that the little security camera I have picked it up.

It was glorious to see in person.

Prior to the dig, we needed to clear a tree which would end up overhanging the future garage. As much as I want to keep trees, this is a liability and I can either remove it now for essentially free plus my time, or in the future for $$$$$ for a pro to avoid destroying the newly built home. So... TIMBER!!!!!

https://i.imgur.com/ocUxeY7.mp4

Cut it up, pile it on the trailer, and haul it down by the end of the lot to get it out of the way.

And not a moment too soon, because today, a hole began to appear in the ground.

It's a big hole.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Dirt is being moved! Amazing.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Over two years since the thread started (I just checked), now that dirt is moving, any idea when you'll be able to move in, or is supply/construction stuff still super hosed and there's just no way to know?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Plan is to get it sealed in by fall before the snow flies, helps avoid heating and hoarding costs. Once we have a weather tight box it'll be time to get through the interior work and whatnot.

We do have flex in when we want to move in, I'm aiming for summer/fall of 2024 but we'll see how things shake out.

Markets still a bit cooky for leadtimes, some stuff is readily available but other that is maybe a size up or down is on massive backorder. I think I mentioned it but concrete has gone way up recently, Lumber has come down a little, engineered wood products are hit or miss. As of today there isn't anything that's a showstopper that'll hold up construction (hopefully that isn't tempting fate too much)

Dirt moving should be complete for the house side early next week, then we start drilling for oil piles

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Big Hole: Check

Piles Marked: Check

Doggo confused as he doesn't remember digging this hole: Check

Piles are currently up in the air, belled piles as designed might not be achievable based on how rocky the glacial till is in this area. Requested structural to provide alternate for straight shaft pile, came back with a massive pile size, ridiculously so. Back of napkin math done by the uneducated seems to indicate that our pile design is beyond overkill. Asked for structural to double check their design loads. Awaiting a response. Piling contractor will be on site tomorrow to do a test pile to see if they'll run into the same issues that they did on a different site further up the road :tif:

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Well, it's progress at least. Glad to see your dirt hole is soon to be pounded with oversized piles usually reserved for big loads.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Rectal Placenta posted:

Glad to see your dirt hole is soon to be pounded with oversized piles usually reserved for big loads.

Oversized and meant for big loads you say :wink:

But seriously, with the risk of not being able to do the bell piles, and being advised that we would need to do straight piles the size of the bells (so 30 and 36" piles) which is insane, I did some back of the napkin math. Now I'm no structural engineer or geotech so this is to be taken with one massive boulder of salt, but by using some rules of thumb we seem to be way over specificed. We have 69 67 piles on the project, 34 at 49,000lb per pile (30") and 33 at 71,000lb per pile (36"), giving a total max load of 4,009,000lb. Rule of thumb that I found online seems to be 275 lb/sf for two story residential, Rounding to 300 lb/sf, and we have ~5000sf of building (garage + home footprint), giving a total weight of 1,503,900lb.

Rule of thumb and napkin math is saying we're 2.5x over sized for piles. I suspect somebody applied a factor of safety twice somewhere... It's with the structural engineer to figure out, but piles are booked, construction is going, and stopping, demobilizing, and remobilizing is hella expensive. so YOLO.

Peer into my hole

Drill Baby! Drill! Hit oil and we might have the funds needed to get this project to completion!

Once he did a couple holes, it's time to switch to the bell drill. Simple and neat. You can see as he spins it clean how it does the same at the bottom of the hole to dig out a bell.

https://i.imgur.com/Ragys0t.mp4

On the 9th hole we managed to break the auger. A weld let go (likely hit a rock and powering through it resulted in tearing out the weld rather than tearing out the rock... woops) Bit of a slowdown as it got jammed on the drill shaft so was a bit of an ordeal to get off. It went out for repair and another machine was delivered to site with a different bell auger to finish up the job.

Concrete pump has a long Schnozz

Pictured: My holes being filled by a group of sweaty men holding a big vibrator.

They managed to get a good number of them done, tomorrow they should finish off with them.

Next week we excavate the crawlspace and begin the grade beam and basement wall work.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 9, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Boulders can be pretty bad for drilling tools. Ask me how I know.

Has Manitoba not discovered hard hats yet?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

So you did or didn't go with the oversized piles in the end? Also I'm guessing 50sf is a few orders of magnitude off?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Indeed, two orders off, 5000 is more like it.

We went with the as designed piles with the big belled ends. Other that the hiccup with the broken auger they managed to do all of them to spec.

Still have structural investigating so we have a backup in case the ones in the garage give us trouble but for the home floorplate we got lucky so far.

As for hard hats. We keep electing conservative governments that work against the needs of the people, I guess we have hard enough heads that hard hats are not needed. I did see everyone with steel toes and we had an assortment of high vis at least. Other than the cement truck boom there wasn't really an overhead hazard so I guess they were a bit cavalier with ppe.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bajaha posted:

We went with the as designed piles with the big belled ends. Other that the hiccup with the broken auger they managed to do all of them to spec.

OK so you're going with the smaller bell piles which are already 2.5x oversized, not the really big straight piles?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Correct, 16" diameter piles with 30" or 36" belled ends as specified.

We are already pretty set as the geotech report lists the maximum loading on the glacial till which is how the pile capacity is calculated, and at the design maximum pressure bearing on the till we can expect a total and differential settlement of less than 25mm. If I'm correct and we're 2.5x over sized, I guess we can expect even less than that.

E: skin friction is not considered into the capacity, so the only contribution is from the area of the pad bearing on the till, so the smaller shaft and belled is equivalent in capacity to a straight shaft pile of the same bell diameter. No benefit other than a big auger is stronger and not likely to get damaged like the folding one for the bells. Also would use something like 5x the concrete

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 9, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Bajaha posted:

As for hard hats. We keep electing conservative governments that work against the needs of the people, I guess we have hard enough heads that hard hats are not needed. I did see everyone with steel toes and we had an assortment of high vis at least. Other than the cement truck boom there wasn't really an overhead hazard so I guess they were a bit cavalier with ppe.

I can't speak for the governments specifically, but in Onterrible, anything like that is considered a construction site and thus boots, hivis and hardhat mandatory regardless of overheads.. I had ministry of labour show up and give my helper poo poo for no hard hat when we were finished, tower on my drill was down and 100 ft away from where he was filling in the hole that I had just finished drilling. Meanwhile he never said anything to the kids that were running around the jungle gym that we had just been drilling beside.

Did they suggest helical piers for the foundation? Just curious is all. They're pretty common for residential stuff here

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'll have to double check but helical piles were only recommended for the deck structure and not the home foundation for whatever reason. I think the AHJ also pushed it a little as they're very focused on slope stability.

For hard hats, it looks like Manitoba is a little bit more lax in its application of required ppe and doesn't blanket require it.

Safe Work Manitoba posted:

An employer will determine if a worker or another person entering a worksite or situation is required to wear PPE. A worker is required to wear PPE to control any remaining risk if a hazard cannot be eliminated or controlled by the design of the workplace, the design of the work process or the use of engineering controls, circumstances of risk, or in the event of an emergency in the workplace, including a spill or discharge of a hazardous substance.

We have labour legislation, and Safe Work Manitoba is essentially the entity that deals with it and has the legalese explained in english on their site

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Bajaha posted:

belled ends

:heysexy:

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Bajaha posted:

Oversized and meant for big loads you say :wink:

But seriously, with the risk of not being able to do the bell piles, and being advised that we would need to do straight piles the size of the bells (so 30 and 36" piles) which is insane, I did some back of the napkin math. Now I'm no structural engineer or geotech so this is to be taken with one massive boulder of salt, but by using some rules of thumb we seem to be way over specificed. We have 69 67 piles on the project, 34 at 49,000lb per pile (30") and 33 at 71,000lb per pile (36"), giving a total max load of 4,009,000lb. Rule of thumb that I found online seems to be 275 lb/sf for two story residential, Rounding to 300 lb/sf, and we have ~5000sf of building (garage + home footprint), giving a total weight of 1,503,900lb.

Rule of thumb and napkin math is saying we're 2.5x over sized for piles. I suspect somebody applied a factor of safety twice somewhere... It's with the structural engineer to figure out, but piles are booked, construction is going, and stopping, demobilizing, and remobilizing is hella expensive. so YOLO.

Peer into my hole

Drill Baby! Drill! Hit oil and we might have the funds needed to get this project to completion!

Once he did a couple holes, it's time to switch to the bell drill. Simple and neat. You can see as he spins it clean how it does the same at the bottom of the hole to dig out a bell.

https://i.imgur.com/Ragys0t.mp4

On the 9th hole we managed to break the auger. A weld let go (likely hit a rock and powering through it resulted in tearing out the weld rather than tearing out the rock... woops) Bit of a slowdown as it got jammed on the drill shaft so was a bit of an ordeal to get off. It went out for repair and another machine was delivered to site with a different bell auger to finish up the job.

Concrete pump has a long Schnozz

Pictured: My holes being filled by a group of sweaty men holding a big vibrator.

They managed to get a good number of them done, tomorrow they should finish off with them.

Next week we excavate the crawlspace and begin the grade beam and basement wall work.

These're nice pictures and great progress, but where is your shipping container break room with tea and cookies? I thought that was a requirement for installing overspecified foundation piles?!?!?!

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Bajaha posted:

. We'll see come spring what survives... and what doesn't.

Planting trees and tending is a different vibe. And ya, ungulates. Been trying to make peace, and think of it as collaborative pruning

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

bennyfactor posted:

These're nice pictures and great progress, but where is your shipping container break room with tea and cookies? I thought that was a requirement for installing overspecified foundation piles?!?!?!

Plus Baja hasn’t even swapped his Porsche engines bc the battery light came on or anything yet

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Shipping container is somewhere in the Atlantic... I think. Hopefully above water and not under.

So far I've been fairly lucky with the trees. The ones that got really damaged I just chopped off the top or damaged branches and the rest of the tree seems to be recovering well. Nice new growth and even the worst of them have new buds growing so I'll take that as a good sign. I also brought out the pump this year and have started watering them as we were a bit dry there for a while, even with the roaming thunderstorms it was a quick downpour then immediate sun, I don't think it actually dropped that much water.

Anywhooooo... Piles are poured and sitting

Crawslpace has been excavated.

And now we wait because the municipality won't schedule a weeping tile inspection until after they get the geotech's report on the piling, so it's a hurry up and wait while I push the geotech to release the report asap.

So, I ordered 2 more yards of 3/4 down limestone and raked this relatively flat.

Eventually, we will have some sort of finished surface on this and a nice big firepit to sit around on warm summer nights.

Hopefully by next week the foundation guys can get going and won't be waiting on scheduling inspections.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

And the stress begins. Got the concrete mix report for what was delivered to site, compared it against the specifications, and it's all good... except they delivered 32MPa instead of 35MPa, a few calls, and a few nail bitting hours later, the structural engineer advises he accepts 32MPa for this application as long as the water content was correct which it was. So phew, bullet dodged.

Onto the next issue. Geotech was to provide a pile inspection report. This took quite a bit longer than hoped to put together, and of course being a comedy of errors, they originally sent it to their own inbox instead of replying to me. Uploaded it first thing this morning and the AHJ was satisfied. Or so I thought. They also need the sub-soil report from the geotech, based on the geotech's recommendation in their original report. We had the foundation guys mobilized but they can't cover the weeping tile until they get inspected, and the AHJ was refusing to come out until they had the sub-soil report in hand. Yay. Managed to get it by 11:00am, some frantic phone calls later we had an inspection for early afternoon, and was lucky enough to catch the foundation guys before they completely demobilized and they were able to un-cancel the gravel delivery. Small victories.

With the inspection done, the gravel arrived with an appropriate name, and started slinger stones everywhere. Neat.

Grade beam layout is in place, void form is in place, and gravel is in place.

Next steps we get to see the concrete forms get built, the rebar installed, and we get to call for another inspection before we start pouring concrete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I remember this kind of poo poo from when my parents built their dream house. GCs may overcharge, but they put up with a ton of bullshit and good ones can make things happen.