Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I hear ya on the photos. I do a good number of site surveys for work and I've definitely learned my lesson for taking more photos than I think I need. It's not the worst when the site is in the city and only a 10-15 min drive, it's worst when it's a northern project and involves multiple hours of driving. I do love that new phones come with multi-lensed cameras so I can do wide fisheye for orientation then can use the standard lens to take more detailed photos. For the really complex sites where the floorplan doesn't match what I have in my records, I tend to do a video walklthrough with commentary which helps me figure out what was where in the future.

While we don't have a laser point-cloud camera (we typically sub it out), we do have a few 360 cameras at work that can generate a 3D model that you can step through. I might have to see about borrowing one at some point. I'm a little hesitant as they have proprietary software to view the scans, which may make it difficult to figure out years down the line when it's all outdated and likely no support from the manufacturers if they're still around...

Also, the latest order of plywood for the roof sheathing is very canadian. Also first time I'm seeing metric thickness for sheathing, usually I just see it marked in Imperial 1/2", 5/8", 3/4". etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Huh. I've never seen that either. Is that nominal or actual? I presume nominal and its actually a little less then that?

My gut would be the mill largely does export to Europe and Japan? Our mills out west are generally for domestic or USA consumption.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

That number appears to be actual thickness, 5/8" is 15.9mm, and sheathing is just shy of that. This would be (nominal) 3/4" below.

Anecdotally construction here is becoming more and more metric every year it seems.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Welcome to the rest of the world Bajaha

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TheMightyHandful posted:

Welcome to the rest of the world Bajaha

Usually we stick to whole numbers though, right?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Looks like they do indeed target the Japanese market, their website mentions getting some difficult to get certification for Japan.

And yeah the x.5mm measurements definitely looks like someone just hit convert and rounded. Looking into it, it seems there's a wonderful world of trying to keep things equivalent across units of measure so we end with fun like 1200mm x 2400mm and 1220mm x 2440mm both being common.

As a Canuk in used to flipping between imperial and metric depending on what I'm talking about (e.g. oven temps are in °F, ambient temps are in °C, small estimated distances are in inches and feet, precise and long distances in millimeters and kilometers, I state my weight in pounds but buy deli meets in grams)

It's from sharing so much from our southern neighbors. There's definitely a push for metrification in the construction industry but there's still tons of just lazy conversions where the metric numbers end up at goofy values and if you convert back to imperial it's a nice whole number or fraction.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

In the UK it’s an absolute minefield when buying wood and it’s all 38x179 or whatever. And yeah I still forget the 1220x2440 sheet dimensions all the time. At that scale 4x8 is so much easier to reckon with.

Plumbing is even worse because they aggressively round numbers up or down to make them look sane without changing from the old imperial.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
EU standardized softwood sizes are all weird in metric because they're just converted fractional inch sizes. Though 1/2" BSP pipe fittings having an OD just under 21 mm remain my most beloathed.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
It’s probably has to do with one ply layer being 1/8”, so board thickness are multiples of that.
1/8 is just over 3 mm and the metric doesn’t map too nice for multiples.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

That's where you'd need to make sure your machinery is all metric and makes 2.5mm ply's so that you can end up with nice metric increments. But yes, the metric vs imperial battle is long fought and has many stupidities.

Exciting day today! Sent up the expensive flying toy to get a better vantage point.

Roof structure is mostly up for the home!

The main entry is quite impressive in person. Definitely has a WOW factor.

I'm excited to see it get sheathed and getting a better sense of the interior. It feels really nice with the high ceilings.

And as you can see from the overhead, the garage basement storage room has some progress. Base has been compacted, insulation is down, and rebar is mostly in place.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I don't have anything to add except to say that I'm still enjoying this. Your porch is going to be amazing.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
This looks amazing and I'm jealous sitting here in my suburb.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Dude that's going to look looks spectacular. I'm so glad you're going to get it sheeted/enclosed before the snow flies and can keep working on it during the winter.

Super excited for you guys and I hope to be invited to visit IRL one of these days.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Bajaha posted:

Exciting day today! Sent up the expensive flying toy to get a better vantage point.

A many-eyed multirotor Porsche is the cyberpunk dystopia I signed up for.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Thanks all for the kind words, and yes, an invite will be coming once we get this place occupied. As the cash reserves are dwindling at an alarming rate, I sit back and enjoy the nice view trying not to think too hard about things.

The roof is coming along, and there's still hope for getting things done.

Happy I went with plywood as the last week has been a wet one, plywood has the pretty good dimensional stability, it'll puff up a little when wet but typically returns to its previous dimensions if it's allowed to dry. OSB on the other hand tends to puff up and then never really shrinks down again.

Pictured below: a cool, wet, lightly foggy day.

Thankfully the weather is cooperating again and we have some clearer skies, albeit with lower mid 10's °C

Not being content with how quickly I was burning money, I added two more windows in the kitchen. The trees are further back than the archtect showed them on the site plan, so we have a bit of an opening to look through.

Otherwise, the pad for the under-garage storage has been poured. I thought I had those photos handy but I guess I didn't transfer them yet. Ya'll see soon enough. Anyway, I may have mentioned, the main level of the garage floor was to have hollow-core. When we got the quote finally they advised 7-8 weeks for shop drawings alone, not production yet, just to get shop drawings to review. This really does not work with our timeline so we revised to a structural slab. Per our engineer it will be a 9" structural slab, should be plenty strong.

To pour a slab in the air, they brought in a bunch of metal supports

And our pup was inspecting the wood beams which will span the metal supports and support this slab while it cures.

Should have some good progress in the next few weeks so stay tuned.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Quick update with the current progress.

Concrete!

She's got some heft to her.

And now for wood! the entry wall is mostly framed. It's definitely coming together and a lot easier to imagine what the finished space will feel like.

Kitchen / Dining wall is framed as well, with the added window.

The volume of the great room is something to see. Absolutely loving how open the vaulted ceiling feels. And you can see, even with the roof mostly sheethed, the interior is quite light with the amount of window openings we have.

The front of the house has a bit of a more modest feel to it, but the rear, :drat: it's looking big.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Baby got back.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Bajaha posted:

The front of the house has a bit of a more modest feel to it, but the rear, :drat: it's looking big.

"modest" is relative lol

But looks great.

Hey, out of nowhere question: Were you in the Edmonton area this past weekend? If not, I saw another Cayenne with a martini livery on it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Not me, but if it had Manitoba plates I know the car. There is a white turbo one with martini livery running around, although he's gone a bit more extensive with the livery on the rear quarters.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I know this is something you've extensively looked into but what sort of river rise/flood levels can you expect there? I'm kind of assuming from your pictures that possibly that firepit area you are just YOLOing within the 100 year flood plain but of course the house is nice and safely elevated.

Also I have a DOKA carpenters pencil from back when I used to move some of their freight on the broker side, I'm over here peepin' yer concrete forms :)

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

slidebite posted:

Hey, out of nowhere question: Were you in the Edmonton area this past weekend? If not, I saw another Cayenne with a martini livery on it.

If it wasn't a Cayenne but a Macan, that was most likely me.

Bajaha, that deck is absolutely massive. You're going to have to plant a hell of a lot of shrubbery to make it appear smaller and less intimidating :grin:

It is also the perfect size and elevation to use as grandstands/drivers platform for RC car racing in the backyard :allears:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You know what, maybe it was a Macan. I'm trying to remember where I was, but I think it was when I was just getting into the city on my way to my moms in St. Albert Saturday. So probably on Ray Gibbon drive... late afternoon? 530ish or so? I was heading North so you would have been heading south towards the Henday.. kinda thing. It was literally a corner of my eye going the other direction.

McTinkerson posted:

It is also the perfect size and elevation to use as grandstands/drivers platform for RC car racing in the backyard :allears:
:agreed:

tangy yet delightful posted:

I know this is something you've extensively looked into but what sort of river rise/flood levels can you expect there? I'm kind of assuming from your pictures that possibly that firepit area you are just YOLOing within the 100 year flood plain but of course the house is nice and safely elevated.

Also I have a DOKA carpenters pencil from back when I used to move some of their freight on the broker side, I'm over here peepin' yer concrete forms :)
Don't mean to speak for Bajaha, but where he lives has a major floodway diversion for the river when it gets high. I assume that's the river he is on so he *should* be good.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_River_Floodway

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 13, 2023

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Indeed, we are within the protected area of the red river floodway, it's actually considered one of the worlds engineering marvels which is a bit odd to think about as it's just a thing I grew up around.

The floodway is quite an impressive system, south of the city is the main control gate which limits the amount of flow in the red river that passes through the city, the floodway is a channel that's been cut into the landscape and re-joins the river north of the city. Our property is within a few kilometers of the outlet of the floodway.

The bridge in the shot below is actually the St. Andrews lock and dam. The photo is during a flood condition with the floodway outlet on the left and the dam on the river to the right.

During normal summer / fall conditions, the dam is what sets the normal summer river level upstream.

You can see the difference in river level from upstream to downstream of the dam. The level fluctuates by a few cm based on the river flow, but stays relatively consistent throughout the season.

We only get flooding if there is an ice jam at the dam. Late-fall they open the dam fully and the river level drops considerably, and it remains open fully until late-spring at which point the dams lowered and once again controls the water level upstream. because we are so close to the outlet control structure, our river level is a lot more stable than further upstream. The higher the flow, the more the water "bunches" up further upstream due to the resistance of going through all the bends, so even this year some properties in the city proper had some minor flooding, while we never even got to normal summer river level at our place.

In terms of elevations, the normal summer river level is 223.57m, the 1:200 year flood level is 227.56m (+3.99m), and our basement floor level is at 229.0m (+1.44m above 1:200 year flood) The patio is indeed YOLO'd, but it's gravel, rocks, and pavers which are fairly sturdy and won't float away. We're right at a transition zone from the inside of a bend to a straight going into the outside of a bend. During the last few springs you can see how the ice bunches up and it's all pushed to the opposite side of the river where we are. Talking with neighbors, when we do flood it tends to be in the 1'-2' deep on the lowest parts of the property and the water is still, the main flow is on the opposite side so other than a bunch of branches floating over the property, there isn't any damage from ice movement or water rushing.

E: Also I sorely lack imagination as the RC idea never occured to me, but now that the idea has been planted... :getin:

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 13, 2023

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Found my missing photo's bit of a dump coming up.

The front is on and looks good!

Framers are done for the moment until the structural slab is in place and the garage framing can begin. As such they've cleaned off the temporary supports and I have to say, the open space is breathtaking. Fisheye distorts it a little but helps convey the impression in person.

The view from the bedroom patio doors is fantastic.

And our autumn blaze is definitely blazing. Loving how rich the color change is.

This week we should hopefully see some progress on a very expensive structural slab. Supports are on and the bottom of the form is in place.

There are a lot of supports. It will be a 9" thick structural slab and concrete ain't exactly lightweight.

Leaving it here for now

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This is going to be the most beautiful house in the history of hice.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
Daaaaaamn :eyepop:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Bajaha posted:

This week we should hopefully see some progress on a very expensive structural slab. Supports are on and the bottom of the form is in place.

Does the plywood stay on the underside of the concrete, or is it stripped after curing?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Learn something new everyday, thought it was a typo but it's actually a humorous plural of house drawing from Mouse->Mice.

And while I'm not sure it'll be the nicest, I'm certain it'll be a fine home once all is said and done.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Does the plywood stay on the underside of the concrete, or is it stripped after curing?

I believe it all gets stripped. I would assume they'll spray some sort of release agent or it's already coated in something so it strips off easily afterwards.

Headroom in the space will be decent but the door into the storage is just right-sized for me. Would be low for anyone's who's taller.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks4flood chat, that is a cool engineering setup.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Upper slab got the reinforcing steel put in and the radiant piping installed. Shitload of big steel bars everywhere in this thing.

I had specified a PEX-AL-PEX but through a comedy of errors what was delivered to site was PEX-A Oxy barrier. No point in crying over spilt milk and the mistake was only discovered after over half it was run in the rebar so meh. This pipe will be fine in the slab.

Slab is poured and curing. 9" of structural concrete, it's quite beefy in person and should hopefully be overbuilt to the point of never having an issue.

Sliced 'N Diced

SHE'S HOLDING PRESSURE CAPTN'

Might've mentioned it before but we've gone with a liquid applied WRB on the exterior of the home in lieu of a home wrap like Tyvek.

Any joints in the sheathing are sealed with a mesh tape and painted over with the coating.

And then the rest of the wall is sealed when the product is rolled on.

The product we've used STO Gold Coat. You might think it's called that as a nod to it's yellow color, but it's actually because it costs about the same as it's weight in gold (Cost is coming in at 4x-4.5x the equivalent house wrap cost, and apprantly the biggest portion of it the material cost rather than labour.)

Windows are coming Monday so we've done things a little out of order. You may have noticed the white stuff everywhere in the last few photos. Being a liquid applied product it has a limit as to how cold it can be during application so we went ahead and got it applied prior to the windows. They will need to come back on warm days to seal the windows as well, but in the meantime we're using a traditional flashing tape and flexible membrane for the corners for good coverage.

I'm no expert, but I assume this looks fine?

Fireplace and chimney chase is framed in and looking nice.

And I don't think I'll ever tire of the view from the kitchen / dining / great room / entry

And we picked shingle color, while I feel it's a bit of a boring choice, it's classy and timeless so we decided to go with the black (top right). I was partial to either of the bottom two, but eh, I can cede this choice.

And before we got the dumping of snow, we went to see some farm animals and discovered that sheep are warm and fluffy.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bajaha posted:

I'm no expert, but I assume this looks fine?

Me either, but makes perfect sense. If you follow the path from the top down, you always want water hitting a solid surface before reaching the wood.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
House and property are looking really cool, great choices so far, seems like it's gonna be a beautiful area. If I had one criticism it would be that it's not very funny in terms of being a godawful fortress of poor decisions and bad design.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Don't worry, I'm sure the stairs will be really insulated in a climate like that

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

There's still plenty of opportunity for poor design and bad decisions. I'll have you know I drew my own electrical plans (and had another engineer review and seal them to avoid even any appearance of conflict of interest)

Stairs are open tread so insulation is unlikely but not impossible...

(The floors are insulated but that's because there's radiant piping in the joist space and it's meant to keep the thermodynamics thermodynamicing in the right direction)

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Lockport gates are open and river level is now down to it's normal winter level, i.e. as low as she goes.

Windows have been a comedy of errors but slowly working through the kinks and what will invariably end up being high 4 figure low 5 figure to fix. They have been mostly installed for what has arrived to site.

Doors are a very pretty red Cherry over fiberglass formed to look like wood.

We're keeping all the plastics on until we're pretty much done interior finishes. It's tempting to peel off but we've been advised by other friends who've built to leave it on as long as possible unless you really enjoy washing windows inside and out.

For any areas that have privacy glass (washrooms mostly) we've opted to go with a 'rainfall' style frosted glass. I quite like the look of it in person. You'll see my naked silhouette but if you want that 4K goodness it'll be extra.

And they've started on the garage framing as well.

Tested out a wide angle lens on the drone, and it's a bit fish-eyed. Not sure I'm a fan of this look.

The rear 3/4 shot nicely shows off the decks, fireplace area, and what I think is a pretty simple roof design.

Eagle-eye viewers will have noticed there's a lot more garage progress.

In the no kill like over-kill direction, the mezzanine is 1.75" x 11-7/8" LVL beams 16" OC, with 3/4 plywood sheathing,

The rear wall of the garage is quite the monolith. Some fruit trees, the generator, and some siding choices should help breakup the big wall and make it more visually interesting.

Things are moving, and I keep getting more and more appreciation for the amount of BS that happens during a typical construction project.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Looking great. What's the issues with the windows? Did you make an error in designing or something?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Bit of a rambling story but here we go:

Due to various changes during design, the architect made a mistake on the drawings and the elevations show one roof slope for the gable ends, while the roof plan shows another. During shop drawings for the windows they used the incorrect slope and the architect corrected it on his review. So great, problem solved and no issue right?

Well. no. The truss supplier used the other figure for the roof, and it wasn't caught in review, so now we have a mismatch is angles between the windows and roofline. The framers on site did the proper thing and framed the windows based on the building lines as would be logical. In addition, it was missed in the window shops for the side raked windows in the kitching / dining, but the first two windows follow the roof line, but the 3rd is off by a small amount. Seeing as they are in line, well it would be obvious so that's another piece of glass to be re-made.

This left us with 5 'waste' windows. The glass units were made but the frames were not so we have some flexibility in their orientation. We can rotate glass but cannot reflect it as the coatings and their location within the unit have a big impact on the window performance. So with that I got to drawing and came up with these.

It's a few extra thousand for framing, plus some extra fine work for siding, flashing, etc. It just really does not sit right with me to let a few thousand go to waste, and well, in for a penny in for a pound.

Otherwise, in terms of further construction baboonery, the windows were promised first thing monday morning which ended up being right around noon. Not the best start as we had a full crew waiting to receive them. With half the day wasted the truck finally arrived. The driver doesn't speak a lick of english, our contact is ducking our calls, and it turns out that our instructions of "Don't send us any of the garage windows, only the house windows" was thoroughly ignored as the truck had the majority of the garage windows, had the various patio doors, main entry door, and only 3 house windows. The next truck arrives after 3:00pm and has more house windows, but we're still missing the basement windows and a couple on the main floor. And we found out the latches weren't drilled in the frames so the patio doors are all floppy. The window supplier is trying to put in our framers to drill and install the latches, and they're rightly pushing back as it's a frame with the doors hung all in one assembly, there's no reason this should be a site-drilled hole.

Anyway...

Turns out the raked garage windows also suffered the same fate, but as we are just now framing it we're doing our best to make the stuff that arrived work and hopefully avoid another 4 windows being remade. Fingers crossed.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I see only one possible solution to your window issue

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Hahaha, Love it.

Not too much progress to report yet, we have a crane booked for tomorrow to start with the garage roof trusses, so the last week was mostly smaller odds and ends.

Entry still has the temporary scaffolding for the upper windows to be put in, which we're still waiting on the supplier to actually supply. While this is up the main entry door cannot be installed, and while that is out, we figured we might as well move the fireplace into the house as it's a big sucker.

A really big and heavy sucker.

Any my friends trailer is the perfect size to bridge the moat infront of the house. We're still waiting another week or two for the fancy steel for the crazy structural stuff that's going in front, so we haven't done backfill yet.

And it's in, awaiting it's final installation.

Otherwise, you can see how far back the river receded from the bank.

And some general overall shots:

Hopefully things go smooth tomorrow and we can get a roof started on the garage.

I still can't believe we're mid-november and there's above zero temps and green grass poking through the snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Was it expected you wouldn't be dried in before it starts snowing?