Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bajaha posted:

I appreciate the feedback, I did some reading online and found an elevator I like the look of and should work for our purposes. Turns out the architect has worked with a local vendor that sells the particular model I chose so we'll be reaching out to them and get a better idea of costs involved.

Yes, we're in canada, but in terms of codes a lot of canada is just "---> whatever the US is doing, with maybe some small changes" from what I hear.

Got the updated plans from the architect and I think we have settled the floorplans, I'm very happy with how things have turned out so far.

It's a very nice open floor plan, plenty of space for our growing family (and some room to grow if things change in the future).

I'll be going through the fun process of applying for all the permits and figuring out what the next steps are. I am thinking it makes sense to try to get the foundation poured this year and let it sit over the winter to allow us the maximum time in the spring to get going with construction, but just having to flesh that plan out and be more certain of what we would need to do in terms of coverings / where in the build process to pause for the winter so that we don't end up with issues of thawing and freezing water causing issues...

Maybe swap the mechanical room and cold storage room? If that's just going to have your HVAC and stuff (not laundry), then having to go through the storage room to get to it sounds less annoying then having to go through a storage room to get to a different storage room?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bajaha posted:

Cold storage should be in the corner, the idea is that it's an uninsulated room so I would want to maximize its exposure to the concrete walls. Primarily it's for keeping preserves, dry goods, and an overflow for storage, one of the previous plans had the wall of the storage room pushed back a little so that when facing the front of the house you would have cold storage to your left, storage straight ahead, and mechanical to the right, but I felt that just added a corridor like space that wasn't very useful.

My thinking is that cold storage is more rarely accessed and with the setup of the doors you aren't losing too much space, functionally both spaces are 'storage' so I like having it all together. Mechanical space will be boilers, hrv, air handling, hot water tank, and pump equipment. It's rural so we will need a well, and there is municipal sewer but it's low pressure so will require a 2 stage holding tank and pumps, and depending on the elevation of the tank may require pumps to handle the waste water from the basement floor. It's a generous space so if we turn out to not need it the we'll have to see what to do to reduce it.

Regarding deck access, the only planned method is either through the house, or around the north side where the grade lets you walk down the slope to get to the lower deck. I do like the look of spiral staircases, but they are terrible in terms of being usable, and with the difference in elevation a traditional stair is going to be quite long. Potentially might be able to get something in on the south end, but will need to mull it over. We would also likely have some lounging chairs and whatnot on the lower deck which should allow for a laidback bbq on the lower deck, and the table at the upper deck can be used mostly for having a normal family dinner outdoors, as it has good access to the kitchen.

Ahh, I didn't realize that's what cold storage was! That's a pretty clever idea.

Is the bottom of that staircase going to be sufficiently big to use with a chairlift? If the chair is down there, is it going to be uncomfortably narrow for other people to use?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bajaha posted:

Natural Wood being watered

Please get that child some medical assistance, that volume of piss cannot be healthy.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bajaha posted:

I'm no expert, but I assume this looks fine?

Me either, but makes perfect sense. If you follow the path from the top down, you always want water hitting a solid surface before reaching the wood.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I see only one possible solution to your window issue

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bajaha posted:

Been considering HIKVision and Lorex, although both have had issues with their stuff phoning home and have been banned from Gov contracts because of the security concerns. I could island it with a VLAN but would want the functionality of a phone app and push notifications which would require opening it up to world wide web.

Consider a vlan anyway - if all the cameras can do is talk to the internet and whatever lovely server is out there, they have a low risk of being able to compromise other devices on your network.

I have a bunch of hikvision stuff, and it's all isolated to only be able to talk to the NVR. If it can't reach my PCs, I don't really care what it does.

https://frigate.video/ looks good, I did not love the mobile app support as compared to what I use. I use a rebranded https://www.networkoptix.com/nx-witness ... honestly it works... but there's very limited functionality outside of "record on motion", and it's expensive per-camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

honda whisperer posted:

Looks like it's going to be amazing when it's done.

What's oil canning?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM4SVdBqqMg