Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Bajaha posted:

Oversized and meant for big loads you say :wink:

But seriously, with the risk of not being able to do the bell piles, and being advised that we would need to do straight piles the size of the bells (so 30 and 36" piles) which is insane, I did some back of the napkin math. Now I'm no structural engineer or geotech so this is to be taken with one massive boulder of salt, but by using some rules of thumb we seem to be way over specificed. We have 69 67 piles on the project, 34 at 49,000lb per pile (30") and 33 at 71,000lb per pile (36"), giving a total max load of 4,009,000lb. Rule of thumb that I found online seems to be 275 lb/sf for two story residential, Rounding to 300 lb/sf, and we have ~5000sf of building (garage + home footprint), giving a total weight of 1,503,900lb.

Rule of thumb and napkin math is saying we're 2.5x over sized for piles. I suspect somebody applied a factor of safety twice somewhere... It's with the structural engineer to figure out, but piles are booked, construction is going, and stopping, demobilizing, and remobilizing is hella expensive. so YOLO.

Peer into my hole

Drill Baby! Drill! Hit oil and we might have the funds needed to get this project to completion!

Once he did a couple holes, it's time to switch to the bell drill. Simple and neat. You can see as he spins it clean how it does the same at the bottom of the hole to dig out a bell.

https://i.imgur.com/Ragys0t.mp4

On the 9th hole we managed to break the auger. A weld let go (likely hit a rock and powering through it resulted in tearing out the weld rather than tearing out the rock... woops) Bit of a slowdown as it got jammed on the drill shaft so was a bit of an ordeal to get off. It went out for repair and another machine was delivered to site with a different bell auger to finish up the job.

Concrete pump has a long Schnozz

Pictured: My holes being filled by a group of sweaty men holding a big vibrator.

They managed to get a good number of them done, tomorrow they should finish off with them.

Next week we excavate the crawlspace and begin the grade beam and basement wall work.

These're nice pictures and great progress, but where is your shipping container break room with tea and cookies? I thought that was a requirement for installing overspecified foundation piles?!?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Bajaha posted:

I'm trying my best to document things as they get built. I'll have to eventually go through and organize the photos a little better, particularly once we start running services everywhere. The metal along the plastic conduits is a great tip to make locating in the future easier. Either way, as mentioned we need locates to be done prior to any permitted work that may impact underground services.

Plan with retirement funds is to re-fill them once we have the place built, the HBP withdrawals require returning the funds or else it gets taxed and I assume some penalties for early withdrawal. It's mostly to cover the cashflow issue, the bank has only released $200k, yet we're into it around $500k at the moment. Once built, we'll have the majority of the mortgaged funds released to us, and upon sale of our current home, we should have enough cash on hand to re-fund the retirement funds.

As for the coldroom, we tried to have one and showed it in the original plans submitted to the municipality for review, but it got shot down by the municipal plan review guys. Their argument was that it could cause issues structurally with a portion of the foundation wall being uninsulated and the remainder being insulated. We didn't want to push too hard against it so we revised to having the storage space as part of the conditioned space and left it at that.

We have one in our current home and it's been over 25 years and we haven't had any issues with it but eh, with how much red tape we have had to deal with I didn't want to get tied up with it.

You can go full nuts with this and get a 3d laser point cloud rendering of your house before the drywall goes on if you really want:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GeS-y2gvNk