Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

bred posted:

My layout is similar and I'm happy with TP link Omada. My router is ER605 with OC200 controller and wifi is from 2x outdoor eap225, 1x indoor eap225. They have a new router with controller and poe built in ER7212PC. I'd recommend that and whatever waps you need.

I had the OC200 with a bunch of the access points, they were good. I am trying to unload them on facebook marketplace as I now just use the one that telus sent because as I have to touch networking stuff at work, I dont' want to look at it at home.
Maybe check for used ones, I bet shipping from Victoria would be more than they are worth for you to buy mine, but they are probably out there.

I never liked the Ubiquiti stuff, using weird POE and the software was also weird, but again, I didn't want to bring work home and it seemed like work.
I used sophos stuff at work, and it was much easier to set up then the Ubiquiti stuff, but you also have to pay yearly for it which doesn't make any sense in a house.
That all said, the telus stuff is working fine at my house, I have a couple of Cisco CBS220 switches, one Non-POE (fanless) and a POE (constant on fan). The Ciscos are configurable enough I could make vlans etc if I felt like it, plus they have SFP ports if I want them.

Make sure you run extra cables if you need to expand, and maybe conduits if you can.
Who knows what you will want to run in 15 years. I had started running speaker wires in my house, but now have tossed it all for Sonos stuff. Instead of speaker cables, I need power outlets.

Other thing is TVs, I don't like cables being visible from TVs, and they always need goofy cables connected.
When I installed the last TV, I ran a 2" conduit to the TV so I could run whatever weird cable it wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU