Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Bajaha posted:

I appreciate the feedback, I did some reading online and found an elevator I like the look of and should work for our purposes. Turns out the architect has worked with a local vendor that sells the particular model I chose so we'll be reaching out to them and get a better idea of costs involved.

Yes, we're in canada, but in terms of codes a lot of canada is just "---> whatever the US is doing, with maybe some small changes" from what I hear.

Got the updated plans from the architect and I think we have settled the floorplans, I'm very happy with how things have turned out so far.

It's a very nice open floor plan, plenty of space for our growing family (and some room to grow if things change in the future).

I'll be going through the fun process of applying for all the permits and figuring out what the next steps are. I am thinking it makes sense to try to get the foundation poured this year and let it sit over the winter to allow us the maximum time in the spring to get going with construction, but just having to flesh that plan out and be more certain of what we would need to do in terms of coverings / where in the build process to pause for the winter so that we don't end up with issues of thawing and freezing water causing issues...

How do you get from the outdoor seating on the top level to the outdoor bbq kitchen under it? Does it matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Bajaha posted:

So, a few developments.

1. Ubiquiti seems to be way I'll be going as I picked up a new-in-box Dream Machine Pro for 40% off msrp so I'll expand out with them. I do like the doorbell so will likely pick one of those up. Going to wait on getting the rest of the Ubiquiti stuff as there's no rush, Wifi-7 is expected to be released later this year which I think would push down the price of the older hardware or give me the option to go latest and greatest, and unless I find another killer deal I've got no reason to buy and then have it sit waiting.

2. I dove down the camera rabbit hole and expanded my original design of where to have cams and ended up with a solid 13 cameras. Went with a Dahua system including their NVR, which if I don't like too much I can explore the roll-your-own NVR setups with BlueIris or the other suggestions in the thread.

3. Insulation has moved ahead considerably and we now have a building that holds heat!

Starting to look a home inside

Made some minor changes to maximize space in the rooms where it made sense

Depressions for showers are larger than the showers so we have to fill in some spots to bring it level with the rest of the floor.

Some progress in the basement as well, insulation is going up in the floor joist cavities.

Needs a little encouragement to go nicely into the bays, a paint roller on a stick works well for tucking in the sides. I think we'll need to also double the amount of strapping to ensure it all stays nicely in place.

And last but not least, we got the under-garage-storage area insulated with two layers of 1" foam secured in place with plywood fastened to the concrete walls. Should give a nice surface to screw in whatever I feel like into the walls without having to worry. It's a not really conditioned space as its only heat source will be the radiant floor above for the garage.

Wifi 7 ubiquiti gear is out now (U7 Pro.)