Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bajaha posted:

Right now it's pretty good, even with the recent heavy rains our lot does not have much standing water. The only spot that accumulates some is between the lowest grove of trees and the river bank, where we have the tyndal stone and blocks stacked up, there's a slight depression in the land there and water does accumulate. Otherwise the natural grade of the property lends itself well to shedding water.

The river level I don't think will risk rising above our bank, the ice has all cleared and the locks just downstream are now what sets our river level. Barring some weird weather or crazy circumstances I think no flooding this year.

The fun begins with contractors though, my foundation guy laid some staff off over the winter due to the harsh winter slowing down construction, and now he can't seem to get them to come back so he's had to back out. Leaving me scrambling for a foundation guy on short notice. The search is not going well... I tried a few contacts recommended by the architect and I think we might have to get an external project manager involved who can leverage their existing relationships to line up someone for the foundation. I'm getting a bunch of "sorry but we're all booked up and not looking for additional work" or similar as I'm just Joe-Schmoe-homeowner calling rather than someone who's already got a good working relationship with them. Hopefully the fees aren't too extravagant.

Architectural and Geotech revisions are taking a little longer than hoped, but hopefully should be finalized soon. Bank also feels like it's dragging to get things finalized but we got approved and have signed all their internal paperwork (hello golden handcuffs) and just awaiting some paperwork to be printed and delivered so we can go sign everything in person. Up to now it's been E signatures.

Speaking of geotech, the provincial government wanted some additional data, geotech pushed back a little but decided the path of least resistance is just to go drill some more holes to satisfy them. So we have 6 new holes in the ground.

All of the tailings look similar so I guess that's good?

So yeah, lots of fun and we haven't broken ground yet.

If I was in Manitoba instead of Ontario, that could have been me that drilled those holes.
I've drilled at more houses, or future houses than I can count. And peed in some of the finest backyards in the province of Ontario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

You should see if they will throw in 2 extra piles, just so you can say your house has 69 piles.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

LloydDobler posted:

You can just tell everyone it has 69 piles, nobody's gonna count.

But we already know the truth.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Boulders can be pretty bad for drilling tools. Ask me how I know.

Has Manitoba not discovered hard hats yet?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Bajaha posted:

As for hard hats. We keep electing conservative governments that work against the needs of the people, I guess we have hard enough heads that hard hats are not needed. I did see everyone with steel toes and we had an assortment of high vis at least. Other than the cement truck boom there wasn't really an overhead hazard so I guess they were a bit cavalier with ppe.

I can't speak for the governments specifically, but in Onterrible, anything like that is considered a construction site and thus boots, hivis and hardhat mandatory regardless of overheads.. I had ministry of labour show up and give my helper poo poo for no hard hat when we were finished, tower on my drill was down and 100 ft away from where he was filling in the hole that I had just finished drilling. Meanwhile he never said anything to the kids that were running around the jungle gym that we had just been drilling beside.

Did they suggest helical piers for the foundation? Just curious is all. They're pretty common for residential stuff here

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I don't know about the vast waste lands of Manitoba where I'm pretty sure the OP is from, but in Ontario, locates are mandatory regardless of how well things are mapped out by the owner. That being said, putting in tracer wires for plastic pipes now, mapping, photographing and measuring would all be very helpful in the event that locates need to be done in the future.
In this case, the OP would likely have various private utilities that can be mapped for future reference.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Baby got back.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Once they get it all closed up, do they run fans/heaters or dehumidifiers to get rid of the excess moisture?

I"ve always heard that when you're building a house, or whatever other wooden structure that a few soakings of rain, or snow/melt aren't *that* bad as the wood is (supposed to be) pressure treated and all that, so unless its open to the elements for months and months of rain etc then ts not a huge issue.

But thats just what I hear, no idea if its true.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

A few holes?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Got ya. I forgot that was another way to do Geothermal. Most of what I've had to deal with (very little TBH) was closed loop.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

That shower looks like it will be a big hit with the :females:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Theres a surprising lack of insulation on those stairs.
You should consider that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

tangy yet delightful posted:

My last house I had the metal conduit stuff put in the garage for the lights, but the ribbed for pleasure kind - forgetting the proper name right now, so I agree with your industrial garage look!

If it's the flexible kind, that's usually referred to as armored cable.