Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Great project!

You mentioned an elevator and a preliminary location near a staircase. I'd recommend treating that as an option that you want priced out and designed when you discuss it with the architect/builder and then just take it out of the project near the end if you don't want to put it in yet.

The reason for doing this is simple - you want to make sure the home is designed for an elevator that actually exists. Twice I've been asked by an aging client to price out installing an elevator into an existing home that was 'designed for an elevator' just to find out it wasn't really designed right. In one case the floorplan area for 'future elevator' was not large enough for any stock elevator. In another there was room for an elevator, but the equipment closet wasn't accounted for.

There are also circular non-ADA (are you in Canada? This still kind of applies - I'm sure you have some regulation that guides elevator design) elevators that are easier to retrofit - but you still need to plan for them. And I'm not sure they're even a good idea, since the 'non-ADA' part of the equation means 'wheelchair does not fit'.

Have your architect design into the home a specific elevator, that way you know at least the bare minimum requirements are being met for the future.

Having your kitchen, bathrooms, etc. designed in detail for wheelchair use is a good idea. Or, at least understand what portions you will alter if that time comes. For example, you might specifically design the kitchen island to be replaced with a lower height one in the future, without replacing all the perimeter shelving. Sames goes with bathroom vanities, perhaps you install some cabinetry that a wheelchair can tuck under while using the sink now, or at least plan the vanities so part of it can be replaced without requiring the room to be taken apart.

The EPS panels look pretty cool - they solve the issue with SIPs where moisture from air leakage would de-laminate the OSB. Neat looking product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU