Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What's the water situation like at your property? Is it impacting your design/landscape positioning at all?

Also, I think the house looks fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I just came across your thread (I rarely venture in this forum) but enjoyed reading it and thought about your house on the river during the current issues.

Friends of mine who live in Winnipeg whose wife has been desperate to move out for years finally told me "Yeah, she's right. I've lived most of my life here but I am official sick of our bullshit winters and springs here" and is actively looking to move to our neck of the woods.

Bummer about the foundation. I know here there is also a building boom and I think your gut is right - if you don't know someone who knows someone, you're either at the very bottom of priorities OR are going to pay an absolute massive premium. Maybe both. A project manager with connections might be a good plan and to be honest someone with experience herding the cats, especially for a truly custom, non-spec build, would probably not be a bad idea.

Genuinely wish you good luck with that my man.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Bajaha posted:

House's are loving expensive.
New builds especially.

Hopefully most of the lumber hysteria and supply chain poo poo has calmed down (has it?) and this goes as smooth as it can.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nice

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nice! Not familiar with that MSR stuff.

Do you have site security while that's sitting around? :ninja:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Looks fantastic man. I'm sure the Mrs. and I will be visiting friends in Winnipeg one of these days, will have to drop by and say hi to the family again.

Also, good call with the Min i3. I picked up a 2 last year and really liked it. At the time bought it because if Litchi support, not sure if the 3 has it yet or not but I know the 3 is a great unit! :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It really does look great man. Did the high wall get built to a slightly different spec (IE:closer centres) or all the same?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Looks really good man.

I know you are a super smart guy but please make sure you do the re-funding of your various retirement funds. I've known more than 1 guy who did that and hosed himself over once home ownership and family life happened.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Throwing washers in the trench is a good backup so you can find them with a metal detector instead of having to get an actual locate done.
That's a good idea.

Also, and you're already doing this, but LOTS of photos during construction. I've relied on photos from 5-10 years ago to see what's in a wall, how things were laid out all sorts of little reasons that you'd never think of while you are doing it. You probably remember now, but good chance you won't or, misremember 10 years from now. When doing the in-laws house back in 2017 I could have sworn he put reinforcement around his bathtub for future grab handles. He didn't think he did but low and behold, going through old photos I took you could see some extra 2x4s put between the studs around the tub for no other reason.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nystral posted:

Do Canadian Prairies do cold rooms / uninsulated basement spaces like the houses in the GTA do?
My grandparents used to have one in their ~1950s circa house in Edmonton and I think they were fairly common then, but I honestly have never personally seen one on anything remotely recently built. Potentially for reasons that Bajaha had, although I'm not sure non-insulated foundation would ever be a practical concern. I would think that foundation under X feet of earth is going to be relatively stable in temps, regardless of its interior insulation status.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Huh. I've never seen that either. Is that nominal or actual? I presume nominal and its actually a little less then that?

My gut would be the mill largely does export to Europe and Japan? Our mills out west are generally for domestic or USA consumption.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Dude that's going to look looks spectacular. I'm so glad you're going to get it sheeted/enclosed before the snow flies and can keep working on it during the winter.

Super excited for you guys and I hope to be invited to visit IRL one of these days.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Bajaha posted:

The front of the house has a bit of a more modest feel to it, but the rear, :drat: it's looking big.

"modest" is relative lol

But looks great.

Hey, out of nowhere question: Were you in the Edmonton area this past weekend? If not, I saw another Cayenne with a martini livery on it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You know what, maybe it was a Macan. I'm trying to remember where I was, but I think it was when I was just getting into the city on my way to my moms in St. Albert Saturday. So probably on Ray Gibbon drive... late afternoon? 530ish or so? I was heading North so you would have been heading south towards the Henday.. kinda thing. It was literally a corner of my eye going the other direction.

McTinkerson posted:

It is also the perfect size and elevation to use as grandstands/drivers platform for RC car racing in the backyard :allears:
:agreed:

tangy yet delightful posted:

I know this is something you've extensively looked into but what sort of river rise/flood levels can you expect there? I'm kind of assuming from your pictures that possibly that firepit area you are just YOLOing within the 100 year flood plain but of course the house is nice and safely elevated.

Also I have a DOKA carpenters pencil from back when I used to move some of their freight on the broker side, I'm over here peepin' yer concrete forms :)
Don't mean to speak for Bajaha, but where he lives has a major floodway diversion for the river when it gets high. I assume that's the river he is on so he *should* be good.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_River_Floodway

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 13, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Looking great. What's the issues with the windows? Did you make an error in designing or something?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

As opposed to a slab?

That's going to differ wildly depending on all sort of things. I'd say anywhere between 20% and 200%

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Looks really good man.

So, seeing all that copper made me wonder, is the insurance while under construction yours or the contractors?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Coasterphreak posted:

The only person that will ever notice or care about the windows is you. How much does your framing contractor like you, and how much booze did you buy him for Christmas?
Qft

But, if it bothers you now, it will bother you every single time you see it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's a total pro tip. Especially around the tub for grab handles (if you haven't already).

It is looking total boss though man. Congrats.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I've never seen sprayfoam over gravel before. Is that crawlspace going to be heated?

Out of curiosity, does that sump discharge end up in sewer or does it have a external discharge?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Looks great man. I really like your choice on that ceiling aesthetic.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is that a true wood burning fireplace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm jelly. That's the best part of going to my folks (well, Mom now :( ) place in Edmonton in the winter.

Out of curiosity, what did your insurance company say? I've heard a few won't even insure wood fireplaces anymore but I don't know if that's true or not. Seems kinda nuts if its a pro installation and up to code.