Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i immediately put this one in the "i know writers who use subtext" Hall of Fame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

dogsicle posted:

i immediately put this one in the "i know writers who use subtext" Hall of Fame

The train tracks and metal fencing?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

The train tracks and metal fencing?

I think they mean the fact that the character is outright stating the situation that is already heavily implied by the action.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's the diverging tracks, just beautifully unsubtle symbolism

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Apparently it was subtle enough that two people didn't immediately think it was incredibly unsubtle!

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

dogsicle posted:

it's the diverging tracks, just beautifully unsubtle symbolism
although the shadow lines beneath their feet have an implied intersection :thinking:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Apparently it was subtle enough that two people didn't immediately think it was incredibly unsubtle!

oh this has definitely happened to me before lol. though the rest of that scene in particular, i don't think it laid much else out as plainly

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
https://twitter.com/anime_eightysix/status/1474008618769215498?t=3r0AquGO2sbepNhRn-4Gzg&s=19

Last 2 episodes will air March 12th and March 19th.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Unfortunate, but at least it's clear they have no intention of cutting the season short or skimping on the production quality.

Funnily enough, that puts the final episode at 86 days from now

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 23, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, i'd rather get something good after a delay than a rushed mess.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
This kind of delay doesn't necessarily mean the animators actually get more time to work on the episodes, since most likely finishing it up will now have to run along side whatever normal full time + overtime projects the staff will be working on for the next season(s) and the actual airing dates were selected because those are the earliest available slots on the networks. Granted this is just speculation on my part based on how poorly the industry normally functions.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah you have to remember that the animators are almost all freelancers/contractors and now have new commitments for january to work on some spring or summer 2022 show that needs to get done on time

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
That also almost seems as if it might be because of missing the weeks they did they just weren't able to secure time slots for them until then.

Either way sad we gotta wait, but know it'll be worth it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Well folks, thats it for the next 2.5 months. I was hoping they would get to a certain thing in today's episode but alas they did not. Guess we'll have to see what those last two episodes hold then!

Since we're long past the start of the season now there's a couple of things that the show didn't make clear in the first couple of episodes of this cour. Specifically about how the Spearhead team actually made it to Gaid.

Popping them in spoilers but we are WAAAAAAAY past it and I would be honestly shocked if it came up again, but since it was never explicitly shown, figured I should do so.

Spearhead was actually saved by Shin's brother in their original suicide mission. The anime doesn't make this super duper clear, but Legion don't just grab brains and stick them into mechs. Rather they copy the synaptic structure onto their nanomachine computers and stick THOSE into the mechs. They are also able to make copies of those nanomachine brains, but on each copy the mind degrades substantially. If you go look back at the last episode of the first cour and the first episode of this cour, you'll notice that a broken down Legion was following spearhead. Shin said to ignore it because he thought there was something really weird about it. When Shin and crew went to engage that legion unit that ended the first cour, that broken Legion mech turned against the legion and destroyed the mech that they were facing and then dragged Shin's broken mech (and body) to Giad and safety, before finally breaking down completely. The Legion had taken a copy of Shin's brother and popped him into a new mech after they had defeated him last time, but the copy of a copy, which remembered two deaths was all manner of hosed up and wasn't working right. Shin didn't recognize it as his brother because of how hosed up his mind was, but he did recognize it as something "familiar" and didn't sense any threat from it.

Normally Legion are totally incapable of attacking other Legion, however two things contributed to let Shin's brother assist Shin. 1: The mech he was in had its wireless radios damaged so it couldn't be overridden by the Wide Area Network. 2: The brother's mind was so hosed up by being copied twice that the normal Legion encoding preventing friendly fire wasn't working.

They SORT of got this across with some of the stuff at the start of the cour, but it was just outright stated and shown with a Shin's brother POV as he fought to protect Shin and then died a final and true death in the LN's.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 25, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
eh, that's a bit much.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

eh, that's a bit much.

I can see why it wasn't done that way for the anime. It would have required a lot more exposition and POV's to explain why the heck this was happening which they probably didn't have time for. It isn't strictly necessary for them to reach Giad (they could just reach it with their own mettle and gumption), but it is weird how they still had the elements of it in the show.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I kind of preferred the more poetic way they conveyed it in the anime honestly, though you can say that about a lot of other scenes.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I dunno it basically boils down to shin and co were saved by a black sheep copy of shin's brother, who dragged them to safety before breaking down and I could see that getting worked in visually pretty well

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

it basically already was, save for the 'second-order copy' part

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

There were a few of changes in this episode from the LN that I obviously will not go into, but I will say they dramatically improved it in my mind. The changes dramatically improved the flow here and kept the focus on the things that needed to be focused on, so I'm very happy with it. I'm pretty excited for the next couple of episodes because they still setup that stuff in this episode and I'm very confident in this studio's ability to pull off the landing.

I will say that Frederica's role in the episode was dramatically improved, whereas in the LN she was stuck in Fido the whole time and didn't get to have a confrontation with her knight like she did here.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 25, 2021

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
I love this show and these 3 months are going to sting and god drat it I'm probably going to order Light Novel copies in the next week or two aren't I

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

I love this show and these 3 months are going to sting and god drat it I'm probably going to order Light Novel copies in the next week or two aren't I

If you're looking into the LN's the episode left off at Vol 3 Chapter 9. I'd start at the beginning of that chapter because some stuff was cut from this episode. The series has done a really excellent job of portraying the stuff in the LN's. The anime here is actually my preferred medium for this series despite reading the LN's first. I feel like you wouldn't really have any difficulty just picking up the LN's right at where the anime left off.

There's also stuff from the Vol 1 Epilogue left to be portrayed. I'd finish Vol 3 before jumping back to Vol 1 epilogue. In general, I'd just skip the Vol 1 Epilogue until you finish Vols 2 and 3. The epilogue from Vol 1 basically summarizes the events of Vols 2 and 3 in a handful of pages, including stuff we haven't gotten to yet because it wasn't planned as a series when that was written.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 26, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That episode was a banger, can't wait for the next two episodes in a couple of months. Finished the Witcher S2 so I'm rapidly running out of stuff to watch. :(

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tbh I thought the episode was kind of dumb until fredericka put a gun to her head and then it was very good for the rest of the episode.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ninjewtsu posted:

Tbh I thought the episode was kind of dumb until fredericka put a gun to her head and then it was very good for the rest of the episode.

Very Code Geass and I mean that in an unironically good way.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
One of the issues with the preceding episodes is the question of Why is she here? Doesn't she realize she's a liability? If Shin decides to force Frederica to return home, it's a guaranteed mission failure, they can barely pull this off with their whole team.

No, Frederica has to confront Kiri, her dearest and oldest friend. And it is her intercession that allows Shin to defeat Kiri. Despite the emotional stakes, she wins not through the power of friendship, but the cold-blooded ability to distract and identify his critical points.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Didn't notice this on the first watch, but it's good to see the production team really paying attention to the capabilities of the mechs. Here the Legion provide a stepping stool to let the Lowes fire on an elevated position.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

lmao i love that

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
So where was that artillery fire coming from in the most recent ep? Was the radio chatter that Shin was picking up implying it was from San Magnolia?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i mean it definitely looked like lena's mortar fire

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I assumed the rest of Shin's squad caught up?

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

i mean it definitely looked like lena's mortar fire

I'm pretty sure it's her voice on the comms

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
It's cool guys we'll find out in two months.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

There's always the LN's!

Incidentally, there is a alternate story manga for 86 where they are all in Japanese highschool and no war happened. It does introduce characters who haven't been introduced yet in the anime though after chapter 13, though of course they only share the look and some characters quirks with their mainline version.

https://mangakatana.com/manga/86-eighty-six-operation-high-school.24997

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
Lena's definately alive but if I were to guess she's commanding a mobile force of 86 guerrillas and San magnolian civilian refugees, and also that she's been hooked up to her souped up para raid the entire time, and it's starting to do some wild poo poo to her

I remember in season 1 her buddy said overuse of the system could lead to serious side effects, so that's probably going to pay off big time next season

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I actually had a dream last night about the show and I think watching Don't Look Up recently had some wild lingering subconscious effects on my mood because it was an extremely depressing dream. :(

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I expect it's Lena coming in with the save, either rallying/in command of things and sending out a team to take out this major railgun threat, or leading a guerilla team of 86's after the Republic fell.

It's kind of the only option with the garbled voice on the comms teasing that and with Shin and co' waaaaay deep into enemy territory so the fire support can't be coming from the allies they're working with now. I bet this far-ranging expedition also happened to help put them closer to the Republic (off the top of my head, I feel like the Republic was to the Northwest and the railgun mech was to the north, and then when the Morpho showed up it seemed like it ran off even further in a north/northwest direction.

I'm bummed we need to wait a bit for the conclusion, but I'm expecting to get a satisfying finale that'll wrap things up fairly well if this is all we end up getting. I feel like this anime's doing well enough that we'll get another season of it at some point though.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

NowonSA posted:

I expect it's Lena coming in with the save, either rallying/in command of things and sending out a team to take out this major railgun threat, or leading a guerilla team of 86's after the Republic fell.

It's kind of the only option with the garbled voice on the comms teasing that and with Shin and co' waaaaay deep into enemy territory so the fire support can't be coming from the allies they're working with now. I bet this far-ranging expedition also happened to help put them closer to the Republic (off the top of my head, I feel like the Republic was to the Northwest and the railgun mech was to the north, and then when the Morpho showed up it seemed like it ran off even further in a north/northwest direction.

I'm bummed we need to wait a bit for the conclusion, but I'm expecting to get a satisfying finale that'll wrap things up fairly well if this is all we end up getting. I feel like this anime's doing well enough that we'll get another season of it at some point though.

I think I posted this before but here's a map of the operation from the LN.

Shin's team is headed more or less straight west once they reached the train tracks (also confirmed from the trainyard scene where they were facing into the setting sun)

Don't forget that if Anju is still alive she has indirect fire weapons on her mech.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 17, 2022

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think I posted this before but here's a map of the operation from the LN.

Shin's team is headed more or less straight west once they reached the train tracks (also confirmed from the trainyard scene where they were facing into the setting sun)

Don't forget that if Anju is still alive she has indirect fire weapons on her mech.

I thought Anju just had missiles, and it was the San Magnolia mortars that used the airburst shells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

I thought Anju just had missiles, and it was the San Magnolia mortars that used the airburst shells

She has MLRS pods on her primary weapon loadout slot. They can load whatever missiles will fit in there, and missiles with submunitions are definitely an extant weapon in our and their world. They dumped their supply of additional pods to her when they left her behind, so she has access to all the pods they brought along, providing she’s still alive.

Edit:
She's also explicitly used missiles with submunitions in the first fight against Morpho in episode 19.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 17, 2022