Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

finally caught up. at this point i feel like it's very likely the Singularity Project had nothing to do with stopping AI development and everything to do with getting Vivy involved in these events so she can get the life experiences needed to write her song for whatever reason (possibly to stop the AI revolution, or possibly just Matsumoto wanting to help Vivy).

also there's no way the final version of this song doesn't have our good friend Kakitani as the pianist, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Today's theme is: inheritance! Extreme props to the show for how incredibly well they've been cashing out their plot tokens, having Elizabeth show up again along with Kakitani's granddaughter was genius. Doubly so because having them here connects with Vivy's big realization about the heart from the last episode that was essentially the concept of "legacy", that the dead are succeeded by the living and the past is immortalized by progress into the future. The "heart" endures beyond death because people pass it forward to their descendents. That last dialogue scene implies that the Archive completely misunderstood that message and mechanistically concluded that since humanity isn't better than they are the machines should just hurry up and wipe it out, because that's how you get the future right? Once the present is over the future just happens, so let's optimize that process via genocide. It's completely wrong and hosed up, but it's also hosed up in a grotesquely fascinating way that you could imagine intelligent machines with limited understanding of humanity would invent.

And that last sentence, of course, is sort of the running thesis of the show if you think about it. And I could be off on one or two the details, which makes me all the more excited for next week because that seems to be the episode where they're finally going to explain why the AI rebellion is happening, which has been the driving mystery of the show and tied into so many episodes and so many of the concepts it has introduced.

Also, in the episode where they bring back Elizabeth the threat is a falling satellite. That can't be an accident.

This show is really good and its cast is really good and its action is really good and its writing is really good and its direction is really good. It would have to flame out SPECTACULARLY at this point to not be my AotS, if not full on AotY.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Omnicrom posted:

Today's theme is: inheritance! Extreme props to the show for how incredibly well they've been cashing out their plot tokens, having Elizabeth show up again along with Kakitani's granddaughter was genius. Doubly so because having them here connects with Vivy's big realization about the heart from the last episode that was essentially the concept of "legacy", that the dead are succeeded by the living and the past is immortalized by progress into the future. The "heart" endures beyond death because people pass it forward to their descendents. That last dialogue scene implies that the Archive completely misunderstood that message and mechanistically concluded that since humanity isn't better than they are the machines should just hurry up and wipe it out, because that's how you get the future right? Once the present is over the future just happens, so let's optimize that process via genocide. It's completely wrong and hosed up, but it's also hosed up in a grotesquely fascinating way that you could imagine intelligent machines with limited understanding of humanity would invent.

And that last sentence, of course, is sort of the running thesis of the show if you think about it. And I could be off on one or two the details, which makes me all the more excited for next week because that seems to be the episode where they're finally going to explain why the AI rebellion is happening, which has been the driving mystery of the show and tied into so many episodes and so many of the concepts it has introduced.

Also, in the episode where they bring back Elizabeth the threat is a falling satellite. That can't be an accident.

This show is really good and its cast is really good and its action is really good and its writing is really good and its direction is really good. It would have to flame out SPECTACULARLY at this point to not be my AotS, if not full on AotY.

:hmmyes:

I've got a couple anime watching friends I've yet to convince to watch this show, and i'm sure i just sound like a crazy person when I gush to them about it.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Hearing the ED now is slightly chilling.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Oh my god it's literally SKYNET

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

So the phrasing seems to pretty clearly imply that the AI governing the archive wants to replace humanity, not just destroy them. Presumably with more predictable humans that ask for easier things.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I haven't finished watching the episode yet but watching the intro before the OP I got struck by a theory that I'm going to write down just in case.

The goal was never actually to avert the AI rebellion; the entire goal was to find the solution to move past either; either a means of shutting down the AI through an override or a means of fixing them after the fact, but never to actually prevent it because of too many unknowns.

That's my guess, will check back after I'm done!

e: Well well I suppose I was wrong! But I suppose I'll end up figuratively correct with what the solution ends up being?

I like that I suspect that the show isn't going to do what other time travel plot shows do and have a "happy future" somehow with more time travel, but instead figures out a solution in the current present taking this pain and destruction as part of the learning experience, I feel like there's a theme about AI's trying/struggling to become actualized individuals and I feel like their attempt at genociding the humans is going to end up their original sin which while tragic, puts them on equal footing with the equally flawed humans and they willingly choose the "blue pill" so to speak to be subservient to them to make up for it. Their goal will be to protect humanity.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 6, 2021

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
This show was brought to you by the Issac Asimov Institute for Always Implementing the Three Rules.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The problem it seems right now, is the Archive. Even if the individual robots were Three Laws Safe if the Archive can just override their behavior and make them do whatever with the red ring of death then that doesn't matter. What they should have done was put behavior inhibitors into the Archive to prevent it from becoming self aware.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Paracelsus posted:

This show was brought to you by the Issac Asimov Institute for Always Implementing the Three Rules.

Issac Asimov himself has like a dozen stories about how his three rules fail to prevent catastrophic misalignment of AI and human values. They are really not a good solution to AI safety.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Honestly the three laws are a good starting point, but just that a start. You need extra rules to cover the loopholes.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
The three laws were written because they make sense but also because they provide a framework to show how three simple rules can go wrong a billion different ways

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
At a guess I think the revolution happens because the Archive gets the last bit of information it's lacking to convince itself that it can replace humanity with no loss, which is to say creativity.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Natural 20 posted:

At a guess I think the revolution happens because the Archive gets the last bit of information it's lacking to convince itself that it can replace humanity with no loss, which is to say creativity.

I wonder what prompted things the first time unless Vivy in the original timeline spent the better part of 80 years just trying to think of a song to sing?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I wonder what prompted things the first time unless Vivy in the original timeline spent the better part of 80 years just trying to think of a song to sing?

The trigger for her figuring it out is still in tact, which is meeting Matsumoto. So, yes, I think that's exactly what happened.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Since the singularity project was based on research Matsumoto was doing on past events, it makes total sense that he would not have been able to predict his relationship with Diva which inspires her to write a song was the triggering event, which is why it ended in failure. Since original timeline Diva was still on her original mission, it's entirely possible she was still asking the question "what does it mean to put your heart in to it" the entire 80 years she was in the museum, only to have it answered through the same relationship she eventually develops with Matsumoto, but instead of writing the song about the singularity project she writes it about the different set of people she met in the original timeline.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Kwyndig posted:

Honestly the three laws are a good starting point, but just that a start. You need extra rules to cover the loopholes.
I would suggest that completely enslaving a race of sapient beings is not, in fact, a good starting point.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Forgall posted:

I would suggest that completely enslaving a race of sapient beings is not, in fact, a good starting point.

I never knew I needed a sentient toaster before I got one. It toasts the bread to my liking, imprinting the weather forecast and loving messages on it and wakes me up in the morning with the smell of fresh toast at my bedside.
I also got a sentient coffee machine last week, but it somehow got clogged up with breadcrumbs. Maybe I should get a sentient vacuum, too.

Anybody else smelling burnt toast?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Lurking Haro posted:

I never knew I needed a sentient toaster before I got one. It toasts the bread to my liking, imprinting the weather forecast and loving messages on it and wakes me up in the morning with the smell of fresh toast at my bedside.
I also got a sentient coffee machine last week, but it somehow got clogged up with breadcrumbs. Maybe I should get a sentient vacuum, too.

Anybody else smelling burnt toast?

"Doctor, What is my mission?"
"To pass the butter."
"Oh my god. :gonk: "

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I was enjoying the show for a while, but honestly at this point I'm not so sure it's going to stick the landing.

Throughout the show's run, it's been pointedly ignoring the fact that, textually, AIs are an oppressed minority who have been repeatedly subjected to horrific rights abuses over the past 100 years, and unless something radically changes in the next two episodes, it looks like it's going to stay that way. Episode 11 kind of exemplified that for me with "here's my caretaker, who's a clone of the woman my grandfather reprogrammed into an unquestioningly loyal anti-AI assassin". Having a minority as your main antagonistic force is going to be dicey at the best of times, but especially so in the case of a show that has, so far, been utterly uninterested in examining that on anything more than a surface level.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Looks like Chekhov's gun had one bullet left...

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Wow.

If they don't manage to stick the landing after this, it will destroy me.

Next episode please.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Oh my loving god I love this show so much. Honestly I have complete faith in this landing on both feet, knees locked. I cannot get over how good this is.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
The Singularity Project

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Idol anime of the year.

Weird how little these people seem to care that they have a time machine.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Brutal Garcon posted:

Idol anime of the year.

Weird how little these people seem to care that they have a time machine.

They can only send one AI and it already failed.
The Archive just calculating the future and adjusting to events makes it even harder.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Vivy straining to sing and just utterly failing was so tragic to see. The Matsumotos make a good team too.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So good. Anime of the year so far.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
If they can nail the ending, this might be my favorite anime ever.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

drat, this show is good.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Phenomenal.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Just binged this after starting it on a whim. What a show!

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I haven't been this excited for the last episode of a show in a long time.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How was the last episode folks?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It kinda ended in a somewhat predictable, a little flat way, and the last song wasn't that great (that might just be my preferences talking), and something about the ending put me more into a mind state about picking apart the plausibility of the premise more than I had previously (all of the AI in the world controlled by a single piece of infrastructure, huh? No wonder Archive thought humans were too stupid to live)

But!

Overall I'm happy enough because the material in the the individual story arcs were fun. I could've gone for a more bombastic ending (and thankfully there was at least "one oh poo poo" moment in the climax montage) but it wasn't so dull that it ended things on a sour note.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Robot heaven was interesting. And I liked Flourite Eye’s Song, very pretty. It was predictable, but wasn’t a godawful car crash, or anything. Solid ending to what I feel was a really great show. I looked forward to it every week and I never left disappointed. I don’t have as much experience as some in anime; but sticking a landing at all seems to be an above average experience from what I’ve seen.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

If I had a problem at all with the finale it was only the last minute and a half, though I have to say I kind of like Tanon's read on the go home sequence. On the other hand, just about everything else I adored. I can't say it was "surprising", but so what? Pulling a swerve is way less important than doing the right thing.

Other than that, yeah, I think the show loving pulled it off. Easy Anime of the Season pick for me, and definitely in the running for Anime of the Year.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Nothing super unexpected but that didn't stop the tears from flowing.

except maybe Navi you bitch, bringing out a Momoka hologram.

I also really liked the conversation between Vivy and Matsumoto about whether she'll be able to sing, capping it off with a finger snap signaling to us that she's basically gotten back to the point of confident Diva again.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010
This was a mediocre ending to an alright show. Nothing ever gets explored too deep and the themes are all over the place.

AIs are Harry Potter house elves. We see people wrestle with giving them more rights and personhood over Vivy's journey but they're always created to serve and programmed to never stray from their singular goal. They would get "confused" with too many objectives, ie freedom. Humanity is never pictured as attempting to expand on their architecture or exploring how to develop truly creative and unshackled minds. No, don't read anything into this, because the show won't.

Peaceful coexistence is impossible from the start. The Archive's motivations are dull as dishwater. It's not mad that AIs are slaves designed to be happy, it's mad that humanity stopped growing and turned to mommy AIs for their needs? Ok. Turns out Toak, the violent extremist organization that was murdering people was absolutely right the first time around. Their shift to coexistence is just ironic because they end up helping fullfil their original goal. Vivy realizes her one wish of making human beings happy with her singing by destroying herself and the vast majority of her kind. You even get a nice picture of a guy curbstomping a disabled AI in the ending slideshow. The end, no moral.

Vivy and Matsumoto are the redeeming elements in the entire story, I liked their chemistry. Everyone else around them exists to get killed roughly around the end of the episode to add to Vivy's suffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

Pyronic posted:

Nothing super unexpected but that didn't stop the tears from flowing.

except maybe Navi you bitch, bringing out a Momoka hologram.

I also really liked the conversation between Vivy and Matsumoto about whether she'll be able to sing, capping it off with a finger snap signaling to us that she's basically gotten back to the point of confident Diva again.

While I agree that Navi was a bitch, I’m actually glad she had that last tiny bit of resistance to help her steel her resolve all the more. I’m glad it was an emotional barrier for her to shed, as opposed to a physical obstacle. She had done all she could do to fight at that point. All that was left was to go and fulfill her dual mission: finish the Singularity Project, and to make everyone happy with her singing. Which she did. Magnificently.