Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

hajde budi loco loco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy1B3agGNxw

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Ireland this year is lowkey one of my favorites this year. It's unfortunate that the show really bombed because the song is pretty fun.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

It sounds like a tourism commercial or maybe the intro to an ABC sitcom.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The ireland performance was absolutely the worst across all three nights.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

GolfHole posted:

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Eurovision is all the worst gays who are all gently caress you got mine

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sounds like you're jealous

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Halloween Liker posted:

Eurovision is all the worst gays who are all gently caress you got mine

sure but then there's Vaidotas Valiukevičius :)

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

GolfHole posted:

https://tubedubber.com/?q=L3OBlbOF30E:z6ZUBzqPxds:100:70:0:5:1

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sharing my opinion and this thread is too long; so I'm sure I'll be retreading things that have been said.

I just watched this. I live in Michigan. This is the 2nd Eurovision that I've seen.

The winner should have been Iceland. 10 Years is the poo poo.

How in the hell do you even pronounce "Dađi og Gagnamagniđ" My Alexa says Tah-vEE FrAy-er, but he says his own name so fast that I can't make it out on youtube. Either way, I then listened to Where We Wanna Be and Think About Things; they are both great. He/they have quickly become my favorite Eurovision act that I've seen.

2nd Place: The Roop with Discoteque. It's a little simple in composition, but that groove gets in your head. Dance alone, dance alone, dance alone. It's in my head just writing it. Also the crazy Maddie/tiktok style dancing is something.

That's it. Those are the two stand outs for me, but there were some decent "studio" songs in there as well like Je Me Casse and Set Me Free.

And then there were the rest like The Three Shakiras, The Sad Swiss Clown, Someone's Mom, Boring Beatles, British Bloke in a Garbage Bag, Voila Voila Voila, Frozen Smile Aguilera, 80s rock band, and 90s rock band.

In the end the winner was 80s rock band because rock and roll never dies apparently.

If you don't watch the BBC version with Graham Norton making GBS threads on every other act then I feel like you are doing Eurovision wrong.

FartingBedpost posted:

Iceland’s song was really really good, not just Eurovision good. Legit the best produced and cohesive song in the competition imo. Sucks about their performance being cancelled. And sucks that they couldn’t do 2020’s song, which was even better.

I'm now going through the thread just to reinforce my own thoughts. For example, this person is correct.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 6, 2021

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I'm sharing my opinion and this thread is too long; so I'm sure I'll be retreading things that have been said.

I just watched this. I live in Michigan. This is the 2nd Eurovision that I've seen.

The winner should have been Iceland. 10 Years is the poo poo.

How in the hell do you even pronounce "Daði og Gagnamagnið" My Alexa says Tah-vEE FrAy-er, but he says his own name so fast that I can't make it out on youtube. Either way, I then listened to Where We Wanna Be and Think About Things; they are both great. He/they have quickly become my favorite Eurovision act that I've seen.

2nd Place: The Roop with Discoteque. It's a little simple in composition, but that groove gets in your head. Dance alone, dance alone, dance alone. It's in my head just writing it. Also the crazy Maddie/tiktok style dancing is something.

That's it. Those are the two stand outs for me, but there were some decent "studio" songs in there as well like Je Me Casse and Set Me Free.

And then there were the rest like The Three Shakiras, The Sad Swiss Clown, Someone's Mom, Boring Beatles, Voila Voila Voila, Frozen Smile Aguilera, 80s rock band, and 90s rock band.

In the end the winner was 80s rock band because rock and roll never dies apparently.

If you don't watch the BBC version with Graham Norton making GBS threads on every other act then I feel like you are doing Eurovision wrong.

This might be why America isn't invited? Also you're missing the purpose of Eurovision - it's not about music, it's the voting!

Somewhere in the process you pick your team and your allies and then you laugh at the other teams, you feel for the ones who are bad but charming, and you laugh with the ones who are insane and will live forever. The voting is where you feel it all. It's exactly like sports.
The upside is you don't get to pick a team here, a song will pick you and that's the one you like - now we ride and die!

You can take Europe out of war but you can't take war out of europeans

- E U R O V I S I O N -

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
eurovision was created so us europeans would spend less time killing and raping people from other european countries.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The ireland performance was absolutely the worst across all three nights.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Ireland Song was a song for belting out really hard and loud, and they gave it to a husky voiced lounge singer.

I mean it was never going to be a winner but we might have qualified.

e: Also ditch the weird paper landscape and just have background dancers running in place constantly.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Every song should have at least one guy in the background running in a hamster wheel imo

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Somewhere in the process you pick your team and your allies and then you laugh at the other teams, you feel for the ones who are bad but charming, and you laugh with the ones who are insane and will live forever. The voting is where you feel it all. It's exactly like sports.
The upside is you don't get to pick a team here, a song will pick you and that's the one you like - now we ride and die!

No thanks. Music bad = bad music. I don't care about the voting at all. Also I don't care about sports; so perfect analogy I would say! Spot on.

ICELAND SHOULD HAVE WON!

Can someone type that larger for me? Like on a banner and fly it over this person's house.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zero chance Iceland would have won as soon as they announced they were being quarantined. Why bother voting for an act that can’t perform when they win?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like we need two banners.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

The most important thing about Eurovision is that it is a non-profit competition.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

An Ounce of Gold posted:

ICELAND SHOULD HAVE WON!

But they didn't, American :agesilaus:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

An Ounce of Gold posted:

How in the hell do you even pronounce "Dađi og Gagnamagniđ"

Thankfully, someone has made a very helpful Youtube guide on how to pronounce "Dađi og Gagnamagniđ".

How to pronounce Dađi og Gagnamagniđ

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Flo Rida being all :confused: about not scoring a ton of points is the perfect analogy for trying to explain Eurovision to America

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

An Ounce of Gold posted:

ICELAND SHOULD HAVE WON!

he made friends with chromeo, and i think thats a huge win :)

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

GolfHole posted:

he made friends with chromeo, and i think thats a huge win :)

He really is the nerdy Chromeo, and I'd be super into a collab between them.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

FartingBedpost posted:

He really is the nerdy Chromeo, and I'd be super into a collab between them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6M3MjlxXjk

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
randomly popped by an article pre-eurovision with Italy and this comment stood out

Detailing their influences, they told The Independent: “We take inspiration from all the huge bands through history, from Led Zeppelin to Arctic Monkeys, but also the newer stuff, like Idles, we love them, Slaves, Royal Blood.”

The UK's path is clear.

Send IDLES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuQG6_evFc8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VODKZxsRa_E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc63fTPttEQ

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They'd probably be up for it, but I don't think they could hold off on the political protest while doing so.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I'm now going through the thread just to reinforce my own thoughts. For example, this person is correct.

The one thing you're probably going to run into - which also happens to be entirely true - is that Go_A, the techno-shamanistic Ukrainians, are also good. Their at-home sessions are fun, the acoustic versions show them to be competent musicians, and the Mad Max official video to Shum is basically "we know a guy with a weird art car and I can get some snow camo". It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Canary
Aug 31, 2011

You say that I think it's you, but I don't agree with that.
Albania got what they deserved when they didn't choose Kastro Zizo to represent them this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUnISYayrSc