Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Yeah you can choose which skills to inherit now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
If there's a special reward or something you get for rejecting pixie joining your party at the start of the game... well I'll never find out.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Everything said above and also while I wouldn't say the story is amazing the settings and themes are incredible and unique to the series.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
No more simultaneous worldwide release? :negative:

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Always find analyze kinda useless taking up an entire turn. Just relied on memory

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Getting my rear end kicked constantly on hard mode..

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
May have to lower the difficulty to normal in order to beat this game in time for SMTV

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Nocturne is fine on normal for me. I've beaten it multiple times on normal and I've always found the balance to be perfect. Every encounter is something you must plan for and you cannot just mindlessly auto-battle every fight (at least not until you're very high level for an area). Getting owned is part of the experience and losing progress is simply part of the experience. It's cringe to say now but its very soulslike in that regard. You eventually get to a point where you lose less and know when to run away from a fight if needed.

This is just my first playthrough on hard.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
It looks sick

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Yes

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Oh yeah always level up demons that "show signs of change" cos that's the only way to get the evolved demon

I think there is one you can get by recruiting, Queen Mab. High Pixie evolves into her at like lvl 56 or something and her last skill is like learnt at lvl 15 lol

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
The dlc dungeons ruin the difficulty curve I don't recommend them unless you're playing on hard.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MANYnZoBj0&t=271s

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

just started playing this the other day, i’m having fun with it. first SMT game for me as well. is it common to have demons stronger than the MC? i’m experimenting with fusing demons and they end up like 5 levels higher

You can't fuse demons higher than your level you don't have the power to control them

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

In Training posted:

Yeah but you can still get exactly the skills you want just with patience. Unless there's some skill inheritances that will simply never happen in the original, idk how the dice rolls work.

Yeah demons will very rarely inherit skills they are weak too.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

Simply Simon posted:

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/1417582456048259075?s=20

first try at least

there's no way out of this without fusing the dead guys into alive guys, or paying a shitload of money to heal them, right?

It's not that much to heal them on normal and you cannot fuse dead demons

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Or Gouto's cool rear end voice

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Playing on merciful is shameful

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You're right, I should have fought 10 mobs next to the save point instead of 2 to get that level I needed for Fog Breath, those Isoras would have presented a really compelling challenge

You would've gotten that level in the next area

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Hadn’t planned on starting 4 immediately after beating 3 since my plan was for my 3DS to be a dedicated Zelda machine for a while but I ended up caving after just a few hours and started a new game.

I thought maybe the start of 4 gave me so much trouble the first time I tried it a few years back just because I was new to that style of game but nope, I went straight from beating the ultimate True Demon Ending boss pretty handily in 3 to dying 3 times in the tutorial of 4 within a few hours lol. This game does not let you get your footing before throwing you into the grinder like Nocturne did

I think Nocturne is just easy for a mainline smt game. I'm playing on hard and after reaching ikebukuro I still just ended up stomping every fight and boss.

Sleng Teng posted:

Do I need to be stingy with deathstones?

Not really, there will be a merchant of sorts that sells them in the third kalpa

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

played through all 20 levels of the insane puzzle boy thing, walked out the door and got killed by a mudo for the first time. smiling serenely and visualising placing the game disc in a sock drawer next to f-zero

That's what your merciful playing rear end gets :)

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
I think if you go into a game knowing that if the MC dies it's game over then everything is fine.
Nocturne itself doesn't make a point of actually telling you this (it's prob in the manual somwhere) so if you don't know the first time that happens to you it's a very harsh lesson indeed.

After that though, you stop being a baby and play the game

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
fusing prev. bosses and having them destroy your enemies ftw

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

man all that crap looks like thinkgeek tier poo poo circa 2007

Whatever, I'll still buy that crap

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Daisoujou also has the coolest back story.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
It's friday

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
I kept pixie longer than I probably should have thinking she was gonna evolve

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Does evolution even exist in this game, I did the same thing with Angel before giving up and fusing an archangel instead

Regy Rusty posted:

In previous games with evolution there was always a message telling you a demon still had potential or something. That is not present in this and I'm in the 60s without having seen evolution happen on any of the usual candidates so I'm confident it's gone from this one.

Yeah I'm guessing those special fusions replaced evolutions

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
These flamin birds can be a motherfucker

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Yeah now that you can avoid random encounters I've been avoiding them to the detriment of my xp

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Yeah the balance feels completely turned around, buffs and debuffs are almost useless, status ailments are godlike, and you don't really need dedicated healers anymore.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Using two dampeners cancel out the first one..

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
If you have the mitamas dlc you can fine tune the difficulty by enabling or disabling them to your liking

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
It's me, I'm the noob. I'm the reason they're nerfing the castle. gently caress this dungeon

Edit: poo poo I'm already playing the nerfed version

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

My sense of direction in the third floor is just awful. Looking back at it though yeah it's not as bad as SMT's other dungeons

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

Kongming posted:

How did they nerf it, exactly.

I uh had to ashamedly watch a video walk thru and it showed the pre nerf so I have something to compare to

In the third floor they got rid of three fans near the very start. It’s weird tho that they took those out because it wasn’t what I consider the hard part

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Finally beat this game. Accidently stumbled onto the secret ending just by virtue of trying to do everything.

I think Nocturne still edges it out as the better game but this is still amazing, just some flaws and seemingly lack of budget near the end.
I forgot who said it in this thread but SMTV: Apocalypse will be godlike.

Now onto possibly demi-fiend and/or ng+

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

lmao

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

Sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knives and Hot Dust