Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I dunno Lyle most of us don't teach gym class in California and get paid in avocado pits so 50 bucks is steep but not an impossibility you've been painting it as for the last 5 weeks while turning purple and running out of breath

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

smt3 is 35 bucks on switch rn for a few days, just grabbed it. ive only played 4 and 4a, im excited to try it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

dreading when this game drops the pretense of being a normal jrpg and just starts instakilling me. probably right after the hospital. im glad it didn't immediately go insane the way 4 did

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the opening of this game is so cool, it feels like a weird dream you should be waking up from any minute but it doesn't end. english va is solid. im so glad the only thing I know about the story is that at some point matador shows up to merc you

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It’s really not as hard as I was expecting it to be, you just have to prepare your team right and buff/debuff like crazy. Of course sometimes the only way to know how you need to prepare is to get turned inside out in 4 turns by a boss but round 2 will usually go a lot better when you do

sounds good, im gonna keep cautiously expecting to get destroyed. i thought I knew what I was getting into in smt4a and King Frost still whooped my rear end a bunch of times and I stood up and shouted and lunged around the house in the middle of the night when I beat him

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

4a: idk why they gave it this side-gamey name, apocalypse is an entirely different campaign with a new story and characters, tons of new enemies and reworked mechanics, and it's a huge game. i liked it a lot more than 4 but 4 is still great

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

smirk is absurd in 4. big chance on crit to be invincible+have a guaranteed crit lined up for the next turn. when enemies get it you're hosed

they tuned it way down in 4a and also immediately give you a skill that clears smirk

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yeah my only issue w it is that theres instant death spells that can kill the mc. coupled with no quicksaving theres a chance the game will just gently caress you over and waste your time

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://clips.twitch.tv/AltruisticSpineyTildeMingLee-7djSoK-KYud1US1l

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

got owned three times by matador. now ive got another force immune, a party healer and a defense buff. if i stream tonight we will loving go

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

matador was as nice as possible to me and only hit mazan and debuff clears while everyone had +4/+4 def/atk. obliterated him.

had some close calls in the area right after. lol they figure you have a bunch of wind immune/lightning weak mons and they hit you with aoe lightning casting enemies immediately, just to teach you that you can't get comfy with any party

think im getting into a groove. until i get my rear end crushed again. smt owns.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

smt4a is so simplified and modernized compared to this lol. check stat changes inbattle, always a convenient heal spot by the grinding/boss area, all the demons around the local boss counter it, save whenever, nice milk bottle w/ attached pacifier whenever you want. smt3 does not give a poo poo about you or your time

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

when they showed smt5 the game ends when the player dies, which makes me think maybe theyre going back to only saving at certain spots and the smt3 flow? idk. i want it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

feel like im in a good rhythm now, oneshot a lot of bosses in a row. though I think that mostly is Charge being incredible lol

monk fiend was loving cool and scared the poo poo out of me when he started giving himself extra turns and using aoe hama. i mustve gotten insanely lucky in that fight, he spent over half his turns on a weak phys attack and missing and never cleared debuffs

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

SMTV comes out in a month.

going full streamer mode trying to beat smt3 before then. starting a new job very soon. i still believe.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Hunting down the specific random brown square it wants you to find somewhere on the large brown world map with minimal direction is, uh, not the highlight of the game on the two or three times it happens

smt4 was truly awful about this, thank god 4a fixed that

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

post-mantra fiend Hell Biker owned so much. i did not expect that. got a little scared when he gave himself 6 turns lmao. been cleaning up though, I keep forgetting I should be recruiting demons because my team has been carrying me for a long while

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i got stuck on smt4 beelzebub forever, everytime I got him down to red he'd start spamming death's door and megadolan or whatever. then I went to fight a different optional boss, this angel guy in the tower, and that made me give up on the whole idea of doing any of the side content lmao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

Strange. I'll be enjoying it on the go, in a variety of pleasing locales, while also dropping it into the dock after a long day to continue my adventures on the big screen + couch.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

going to try and finish smt3 tonight or get as close as I can in preparation. I thought I could hold off on it for a while but caught a trailer and im insanely hype

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

b_d posted:

posted by request

lmao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

going to play some more smt3 tonight. this triple dungeon is a doozy and the last boss was terrifying. I can feel the end coming, hope to be playing smtV by Christmas.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Are the rumbles of SMTV coming to PS4 true?

these games have been nintendo exclusive for a while but it feels like theres no rules anymore

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

actually in the final dungeon in smt3. unless theres another chance to fuse, my final team is karasu tengu (ftw), Titania, and Parvati, with a 40str demifiend.

think im in for a very long final dungeon

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Hizke posted:

its insane how good the smt iv boss theme is

smt4 and 4a have some of the best soundtracks in all of gaming imo. hype for 5's soundtrack

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

playing the remaster i noticed Matador seemed a lot more random aside from using Red Capote at the start. the first time i fought him he kept Andalucia'ing my rear end and wiped my whole party, didn't use a single wind skill once

someone on stream told me it was really rare for him to re-max his dodge+hit so I spent 4 turns getting him back down to normal and he immediately gave himself +4 again and wiped my team

the thing matador is really trying to teach you is have a group heal spell from this point on or die

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

so sick

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

NickRoweFillea posted:

Was Tokyo Mirage Sessions any good? I feel like it came and went with very little fanfare.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

finally playing smt5. all the demons look awesome and have so many animations, the sandmen swing their little bags at you in the overworld lmao. i just didnt expect the game to LOOK this good

got my rear end beat by the hydra so im grinding and fusing.

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

got my rear end beat by lahmu rematch. love this game and how its structured as a continuous dungeon

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lol

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

im running around smt5 beating up Punishing Foes and having a good time, just beat Surt.

does the story go anywhere? so far i dont think there is a character in this game beyond the random funny one liner NPCs. usually really forgiving of story but im like 35 hours in running through City Ruins 3 doing fetch quests and I just dont care lol

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The story couldn't really decide whether it was just retelling Nocturne or acting like a sort of weird pseudo sequel to it and eventually just gives up lol. It does the job but it's not good. The school section and a few other parts really feel like they were originally going for a more involved story / ambitious game generally hopping back and forth from the real world and Da'at but again it just gets dropped. I'd love a look into some of the early ideas/prototypes for the game

most of the areas are really samey and ugly lol. this game definitely went through some turmoil, its a good thing the gameplay is perfect

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

when you get 20 turns in a row whaling on a boss, got them doing death's door slump while your whole team is topped off on HP and buffs and then they cast Dekaja + 3x AOEs that crit and wipe squad

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

this dungeon is loving rear end!!!!!!!

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmao

----------------