Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

What is Pokémon Masters EX?

It's Pokémon! But it's gacha! Gacha for trainers, not Pokémon! Thrilling!

You play the game by setting your teams of three trainers and their single Pokémon against an enemy opposing team of equal or greater size. Battles take place in real time, using a system where a bar fills up over time and its gauge is spent on using moves - the more bars a move takes, the more powerful it is. There are also items and trainer moves specific to each person that typically don't cost bars and serve the purpose of buffing or supporting the team. After taking 9 actions you can use a special powerful move called a Sync Move that greatly damages the enemy and boosts your entire team's general damage by 50% each time it's done. This keeps battles quick, since as each side gains power one will eventually crack from the pressure.

If you're interested, keep reading or :justpost:! I'll be glad to answer any specific questions in the future, or update the OP as necessary.

How can you play the game?

There are a variety of modes in the game where you can test your team's mettle. The alleged primary way of doing so is Story Mode, where you play through fixed, permanent content to challenge the Pokémon Masters League as an OC trainer. The game takes place in the fully artificial region of Pasio, created by a self-styled "king" named Lear, but trainers from across the series' history stop by (whether they want to or not). You get some free units for playing through the story, some of which are legitimately competitive and useful even in the current metagame, so it's worth doing.

The other primary way to play is Event Mode. Limited-time side-stories that come in a variety of forms, such as map traversal, voucher farming, holiday goodie collection, prize box opening, egg hatching, and sometimes events that provide free trainers, which are rare but often useful.

There are other modes that mostly serve as testing grounds for very high-level teams, like the Battle Villa, Legendary Arena, and Champion Stadium. There's also the Training Area, where you go to farm for items that help you unlock level caps and grow your characters. This game also has co-op, though it's mostly defunct - it still exists mostly in the form of co-op Story Mode, which is a one and done affair, Gear Events which give equipment that you can assign to teams, and the farmable EX Plaza which has lower rarity equipment.

The game runs on a stamina system, where you get more max stamina the more stamina you spend over time. Grinding-type stages can be automatically cleared with a resource called Skip Tickets, as long as you've beaten that stage once without having anyone on your team faint. Every day you can get 200 extra stamina regardless of your current cap, so make sure to spend it as much as possible to raise your max stamina. Most of the challenging modes don't cost stamina, but events and story mode typically do.

How does the gacha work?

Beating stages (or spending money) gets you gems that you can spend on the gacha, known as scouting. 300 gems lets you pull for a unit, but you can also spend 3000 to get 11. Normal banners have a 7% chance of pulling a 5* unit, with a 2% chance of that unit being the "featured" unit. All other normal 5* units are present as the other 5% chance, and then there's a largely useless pile of 4* and 3* units to fill out the rest - after pulling for a while, you'll have all of them at max dupe potential for sure. Though keep a lookout on Pokemon Masters Day, the 25th of each month, when those lower rarity units get some much needed boosts!

There are special banners called "Poké Fairs" that have the 5* rate upped to 10%. The featured unit still has a 2% chance of appearing, but you'll get potentially useful 5*s more often than normal. The unfortunate thing about Poké Fair featured units are that they aren't added to the normal pool, so if you don't pull on the banner that they're on you can't get them until they're featured again. Seasonal banners also have limited units, but these banners don't have boosted rates. "Master Fairs" were also added recently, that have even more significantly powerful units and a 12% 5* chance, but they're quite rare, and only have a 1% focus chance.

Pulling a unit isn't the end of their growth. As you pull dupes of that unit, their moves get more powerful, and more tiles on their Sync Grid are unlocked. The usual breakpoint where they're the most useful is the third dupe out of five. So it can sometimes be worth going on a banner to try and get the unit multiple times. A pity system exists to make this easier, but it's somewhat far reaching - if you only get 11 pulls and spend around 36,600 gems, you can pick any featured unit on the banner for free. If you're playing f2p it can be worth it to skip banners until you have enough to guarantee you can get the unit you want.

What's that Sync Grid? How do units get stronger in general?

The easiest way to power up units is leveling them up. The level cap keeps on raising as content gets harder, so who knows where it'll end up? I believe there's data for up to Level 150, though the cap at this time of writing is 140.

The Sync Grid lets you spend Sync Orbs, gained from events and other sources, to power up units further. You can raise their base stats, power up their moves, or give them special passive abilities. Certain tiles are locked until you get dupes of the unit. It's worth investing in the grid for a unit you plan to use a lot, and orbs aren't too hard to come by later on. Use em or lose em!

There's also "potential"! Pulling a dupe past 5 gets you a Ticket of the rarity of the unit, though these are also acquired at a slow rate from events. Feed 20 of these tickets to a unit and the amount of stars they are increases. 5* units can be improved in this way too, and can be raised to "EX" rarity, which gives their sync move a special benefit based on the role of the unit - whether they're a Striker (DPS), Tech (debuffer, disrupter), or Support (healing, buffing, tanking). They also get a spiffy palette change!

An item called Candy exists to give you a free dupe of a character. 3* and 4* candy is easy to come by, but 5* not so much. Typically they're only obtained in very rare giveaways or by exchanging 20 of a coin obtained more commonly during events for the candy.

As a free to play user, what should I be looking out for?

The free units from the story mode and Legendary Adventures are a great place to start. Legendary trainers get free 5/5 dupes and 20 free tickets to power up their stats, while story mode characters are typically lower rarity but can still make a splash. The most important ones are Rosa & Snivy, obtained very early, and Skyla & Swanna, obtained somewhat early. Rosa is mostly important because she is a 5* unit, and thus has very high stats and can effectively tank and fit onto most teams, especially special teams. She can also be raised to EX rarity more easily than other characters due to a set of quests that gives you free tickets for her. Skyla had a ticket giveaway in the past but that was unfortunately limited time.

Any new player can also obtain the sync pair of Professor Oak & Mew by doing a similar set of quests to Rosa's. Mew only starts at 3* but is worth raising due to its balanced stats and versatile moves. In general, always keep a lookout for various events to see what you might be able to acquire. Some other notable free to play sync pairs obtained in the story are Korrina, Iris, Barry, and a Torchic your main character obtains. For a long time early on I was able to beat all content with Rosa, Hau, and Torchic. Those days are mostly gone but it felt good that I didn't need any OP gacha units to be able to make progress.

It's a simple matter to power up the unit you start the game with, your Pikachu, so don't sleep on it either. It ends up being more of a healer than an attacker, though, but that's still useful for longevity in tough battles. Also, pull for Sygna Suit Red if you see him. He's just... way too strong. I'm also somewhat biased towards Champion Iris with her Hydreigon, but that's just me. Most units these days are powerful for one reason or another, especially if they're Fairs, but feel free to ask if you're unsure!

Resources

The official Twitter account of Pokémon Masters EX.
A spreadsheet I made detailing all free units.
A page for seeing what events are active and what events are datamined to be happening in the future.
A regularly updated document with ideas on how to build various characters.

Alxprit fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Current schedule. Please inform me if this gets out of date!

Alxprit fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 28, 2023

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

I'm here to mention the legend that, when Sycamore is back on rotation, he's one of the best Legendary event pairs that Masters have given to us. With the low low cost of one (1) sync move, he gives you +6 Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed! He'll be a cornerstone of many teams, guaranteed!

Currently on banner, there's a Pair Scout for Ethan, Hilda, and Serena, the latter two being a pretty decent Striker (Who can also function as a tank or another healer, if you so need one), and Serena... Well, Serena's a very clutch pair in my eyes. The fact that her Hypnosis sleeps everyone can be an asset on clearing challenges.

In the future there's going to be a fair that features Steven/Metagross, Cynthia/Kommo-O, and Lance/Dragonite. While Lance currently is a midtier Dragon Striker at best, Steven and Cynthia are absolutely nice pickups. But saving for Red/Leon is also a viable option, those two are far along the curve compared to other sync pairs in the game.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Been playing since day 1, and the game has had a lot of ups and down. The biggest question I think most people would have is:

Is this game worth playing?

My answer is: if you are a big fan of Pokemon characters, it's definitely worth a try. The best thing I can say about this game is the overall presentation is a lot more enjoyable than the current main-line Pokemon games. There are tons of little references and a fair amount of care was given to every trainer to bring out every bit of personality that was alluded to in the text of the games.

Just a personal example, I never cared a whole lot about Jasmine from gen 2, but this game giving her a voice and actually hearing and seeing her be enthusiastic about her Pokemon was incredibly endearing. And that sort of charm is one of the biggest appeals here.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

I think item distribution in particular is still a huge problem in this game, but it has improved a lot since day 1 imo.

I’m still struggling to figure out team comps and synergy between skills, but I also play very very casually

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

FartingBedpost posted:

I think item distribution in particular is still a huge problem in this game, but It has improved a lot since day 1 imo.

Yeah, in the early months they clearly did not expect people to play as much and finish what content they had so fast. I think they even said as much

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I think the game is worth playing casually. And honestly, at the level I'm at there isn't that much difference between casual and non-casual play, I think. Sometimes I log in, spend my stamina, and let it sit for the rest of the day. I only recently started bothering with Champion Stadium's Hall of Fame type medal clearing to unlock Master Mode, and even then I only make the stages hard enough to get the Candy Coins, nothing else matters.

If you're on the fence, I'll give the same advice I would with basically any gacha - It's a marathon, not a race. If you aren't doing every little thing as fast as everyone else it doesn't matter. Stuff keeps coming back, resources continue to be distributed, and all that junk! Don't feel stressed out and give the game as much attention as you feel it deserves.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’ve been playing for a while and consider it probably the best mobile Pokemon game out there (the battle system is simple and there’s a ton of personality and lore involved with it). The story is kind of interesting as well.

Also protip: it takes some work to unlock some of them but one of the best teams I’ve found is Serena, Red, and Skyla (the former to keep enemies incapacitated via Hypnosis, the latter for stat buffs and quick move gauge refills, and finally Red as your main attacker).

Out of curiosity, are the English actors in the game the same ones from the anime or did they hire new people?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 22, 2021

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, are the English actors in the game the same ones from the anime or did they hire new people?

Jessie and James in both Jpn and Eng share their anime actors. For characters such as Brock, Misty, Iris, their voice actors differ compared to their anime (And other voiced appearances!) counterparts.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

LightningKimba posted:

Jessie and James in both Jpn and Eng share their anime actors. For characters such as Brock, Misty, Iris, their voice actors differ compared to their anime (And other voiced appearances!) counterparts.

That makes sense (for example, Viola has a weird French accent in Masters that nobody else from Kalos seems to have despite not having one in the anime, also everyone from Galar has a British accent)

I think a lot of the JP voices just use the anime cast though (but correct me if I’m wrong).

Speaking of which, I’d kind of like to see Lear and his associates show up in the anime one day.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also in regards to what I mentioned, is the Serena/Red/Skyla team I’ve currently been sticking with fine or is there somebody better I could replace one or more of them with? All three are at max level, have a sync grid about as full as I can get it, are all about 3/5 in terms of move level and Skyla is at EX rank.

Incidentally, is there any way to increase the max capacity of a character’s sync grid?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 22, 2021

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I've been playing since day 1 and I want to hesitatingly say this game is good, maybe I'm just too deep to quit. I suppose I do like that this game is laughably easy and I'm able to clear all content with little effort, but I've also invested into a lot of units. The main bottleneck for any new players will be getting enough resources from limited stamina. Nice that the weather event can give me a use for my 30 million coins, but the event will be cleared easily without my help, so I'll save them for whatever reason.

Larryb posted:

Also in regards to what I mentioned, is the Serena/Red/Skyla team I’ve currently been sticking with fine or is there somebody better I could replace one or more of them with?

That's a pretty easy team to take on most content with, I've switched to Serena/Leon EX/Leaf EX in Battle Villa to make the mode less of an absolute chore, but aside from Champion Stadium, I have the nasty habit of using the same 10 units out of the 130 I have overall. Such is gacha.

Also in the OP you should mention what you should prioritise as a newer player, definitely only pull on Pokefairs and absolutely grab SS Red, SS Blue, Steven and Marnie, all definitely insane units. Next priority is sync grids, it's a bunch of passives for little effort and a good chunk of units are perfectly usable at 1/5, though get insane stuff at 2/5 (SS Red) or 3/5 (Steven). After that there's Lucky Skills, Critical Strike 2 or Vigilance for the most part, some exceptions, with Theme Skills and Gear being whatever, nice to have but something to work on later.

For EXs, definitely focus on getting supports like Skyla, Rosa, SS Blue, Jasmine and SS Elesa, the double sync buff is by far the most useful one, and then go for your best strikers like SS Red, Steven, Brendan, Alder, Barry, etc, try and focus on units that don't have a mega, since they'll do more initial damage. Techs aren't really worth it, but can be helpful for sync nuke builds, I've only done May and Bianca myself, but Champ Iris and hell even Gladion can work out fine.

Main way to clear the hardest content is stacking multipliers, so terrain and weather abusers, as well as units with Inertia and Haymaker can make this game a breeze. Sure you only need to go for 4200 points in Master Mode, but I do 7500 since it's a pretty formulaic mode these days and I only struggle with Ghost stages due to none of the pairs of that type being particularly amazing. With the right support and some smart strategy, a lot of units in this game are viable, since again, the game isn't particularly difficult.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 22, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

I've been playing since day 1 and I want to hesitatingly say this game is good, maybe I'm just too deep to quit. I suppose I do like that this game is laughably easy and I'm able to clear all content with little effort, but I've also invested into a lot of units. The main bottleneck for any new players will be getting enough resources from limited stamina. Nice that the weather event can give me a use for my 30 million coins, but the event will be cleared easily without my help, so I'll save them for whatever reason.

That's a pretty easy team to take on most content with, I've switched to Serena/Leon EX/Leaf EX in Battle Villa to make the mode less of an absolute chore, but aside from Champion Stadium, I have the nasty habit of using the same 10 units out of the 130 I have overall. Such is gacha.

How are Leon and Leaf better for taking on the Champion Stadium out of curiosity?

Also any tips for the events with Full Force Battles? Those always seem to kick my rear end (otherwise as long as I keep my stats boosted basically nothing else in the game can kill me at this point).

Red is kind of weak defensively though so I basically use Skyla as my meatshield (as well as healing if need be) with Serena as backup

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 22, 2021

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Larryb posted:

I think a lot of the JP voices just use the anime cast though (but correct me if I’m wrong).

Surprisingly this is incorrect! Using Brock and Misty as examples, their voice actors in Masters EX are Kosuke Toriumi (You may know him as Jojo's Guido Mista) and Ayane Sakura (My Hero's Ochaco). Different from their anime actors of Yuji Ueda and Mayumi Iizuka. I'm not 100% familiar with the way Japan does its voice acting and directing, but I imagine with Masters, there's a different studio being used for actors compared to the anime's.

It does make me wonder if we'll see more union voice actors in English. Imagine seeing Veronica Taylor again, but for someone that isn't Ash or May!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

LightningKimba posted:

Surprisingly this is incorrect! Using Brock and Misty as examples, their voice actors in Masters EX are Kosuke Toriumi (You may know him as Jojo's Guido Mista) and Ayane Sakura (My Hero's Ochaco). Different from their anime actors of Yuji Ueda and Mayumi Iizuka. I'm not 100% familiar with the way Japan does its voice acting and directing, but I imagine with Masters, there's a different studio being used for actors compared to the anime's.

It does make me wonder if we'll see more union voice actors in English. Imagine seeing Veronica Taylor again, but for someone that isn't Ash or May!

Huh, I could have sworn Aoi Yuuki was still Iris at least but I could be wrong. Brock and Misty sound close enough to their original voices at least.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Larryb posted:

How are Leon and Leaf better for taking on the Champion Stadium out of curiosity?

Also any tips for the events with Full Force Battles? Those always seem to kick my rear end (otherwise as long as I keep my stats boosted basically nothing else in the game can kill me at this point).

Red is kind of weak defensively though so I basically use Skyla as my meatshield (as well as healing if need be) with Serena as backup

Battle Villa, since Leon can recover MP from just using attacks and Leaf can boost stats by 2 when she syncs to help with the longer stages without also using up MP. For FFB, getting good timing with Serena's sleep helps a ton, it's always best to queue up Hypnosis even if the opponent is still asleep, since they could wake up by the time it gets to her turn. Otherwise just sync nuking with EX 3/5 SS Red solves a lot of my problems and hoping Skyla gets MP Refreshes. But definitely build up other units and figure out how they play to fall back on if need be.

For Champion Stadium my aim is to get a striker EX of one of each type eventually, but it's not hugely necessary since with the right defensive support, Sycamore, Dawn, Liza, SS Blue, etc, I don't have too much trouble taking out the opponent before their second sync.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

Battle Villa, since Leon can recover MP from just using attacks and Leaf can boost stats by 2 when she syncs to help with the longer stages without also using up MP. For FFB, getting good timing with Serena's sleep helps a ton, it's always best to queue up Hypnosis even if the opponent is still asleep, since they could wake up by the time it gets to her turn. Otherwise just sync nuking with EX 3/5 SS Red solves a lot of my problems and hoping Skyla gets MP Refreshes. But definitely build up other units and figure out how they play to fall back on if need be.

For Champion Stadium my aim is to get a striker EX of one of each type eventually, but it's not hugely necessary since with the right defensive support, Sycamore, Dawn, Liza, SS Blue, etc, I don't have too much trouble taking out the opponent before their second sync.

Thanks, I’m currently working on trying to get Red up to EX as I’ve heard his Sync Move at that level is the only one that hits the opponent’s entire party (meanwhile literally any enemy trainer in the game can do the same to you, which doesn’t seem fair in my opinion)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I appreciate the feedback so far. I'm far from an expert on the game, but I can share some experiences. My once primary team was New Year's Lillie, Red, and Torchic. This team can get Red to 5 stages of Sp. Atk and 3 stages of crit in a single round, which I find very valuable. Phoebe was taking Lillie's place initially, but I pulled for her despite hating seasonal banners because of her ability to evasion stack on the whole party and block against status ailments, two things that really helped with longevity in Full-Force Battles. Though, those seem to be phasing out lately? I'm not entirely sure.

The team I have that uses Iris also includes Sycamore, which I am very sad isn't available all the time, but definitely worth getting once he re-runs. The only current legendary is Silver & Ho-oh, who is fine overall but not setting the world on fire - I set up his sync grid to focus on Solar Beam because we have way too many Fire-type attackers already. But anyway, the third of the Iris Team is Hilbert. Hilbert can buff Attack and Crit for the whole team while Iris debuffs the enemy and Sycamore throws out random moves to get the countdown down - once he uses his sync move and powers up everyone's speed, it becomes a game of him constantly healing himself back up with Horn Leech while Hilbert and Iris chain-flinch the enemy with Waterfall and Dragon Rush. It works especially good in legendary arenas!

The Ghetsis event just ended but he was really great as a mini-Iris. And for the current legendary threat, Cobalion, who you can't really damage without inflicting a status ailment on, Ghetsis was actually better due to packing Dragon Breath to fish for Paralysis. I'm always impressed when any unit can last more than a single bar against a legendary arena. His partners were Phoebe and Sygna Suit Elesa. Anybody using four-bar moves likes move gauge boosting, and Elesa covered most of his buffing while also adding extra paralysis chances with her Thunder Shock.

I have some other decent teams. Cyrus and Blue are both really strong with Sabrina support for extra Accuracy, Alder's Volcarona is a personal favorite Pokemon of mine so I have him even though he's not super flashy, Olivia is all right when I have the chance to abuse Sandstorm... but I appreciate being able to largely use whoever I want.

Serena I don't use that often. I have her only at 1/5, but I can't ignore Hypnosis' appeal. I can't time to to chain-sleep enemies without them getting a single move, but it can effectively disable foes for at least a little bit. I'd say Red as a headliner means you're already doing a good job, mostly because he really doesn't need a support to get the stats he needs, so crowd control does seem like a great thing to pair with him!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

One thing to keep in mind regarding Red is he’s kind of a glass cannon, so be sure to always put him last in the attack order.

Also be careful when using the Autobattle function as Mega Charizard sometimes has a tendency to use Flare Blitz a bunch and get itself killed.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Larryb posted:

https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/video-games/Pokemon-Masters/

I was just wondering this the other day and found this, which lists most of them

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Also in the OP you should mention what you should prioritise as a newer player, definitely only pull on Pokefairs and absolutely grab SS Red, SS Blue, Steven and Marnie, all definitely insane units. Next priority is sync grids, it's a bunch of passives for little effort and a good chunk of units are perfectly usable at 1/5, though get insane stuff at 2/5 (SS Red) or 3/5 (Steven). After that there's Lucky Skills, Critical Strike 2 or Vigilance for the most part, some exceptions, with Theme Skills and Gear being whatever, nice to have but something to work on later.

For EXs, definitely focus on getting supports like Skyla, Rosa, SS Blue, Jasmine and SS Elesa, the double sync buff is by far the most useful one, and then go for your best strikers like SS Red, Steven, Brendan, Alder, Barry, etc, try and focus on units that don't have a mega, since they'll do more initial damage. Techs aren't really worth it, but can be helpful for sync nuke builds, I've only done May and Bianca myself, but Champ Iris and hell even Gladion can work out fine.

Marnie never really struck me as that crazy good. I managed to get her 1/5 and she's fun to use, and sadly she's the best dark type offense I have (Karen's kind of outclassed) but she never really struck me as being on par with most other Poke-fair units. She's still great, but compared to most other PF characters (besides Lance) she doesn't seem as broken. I think the SS Kanto Trio alone can get me through 90% of content in the game.

And yeah, when it comes to EXing support characters, I prefer to use ones that actually do something like mega evolve or give some kind of extra buff or recovery on using Sync. I have no plans on upgrading SS Elesa to 6*, because she has no extra passives when you sync, so it feels like you are purely doing it for the standard power buff. Don't get me wrong, that's often good on its own, but I'd like to accomplish something else when I sync. Thankfully most supports nowadays do have some extra benefit to using sync with them, but some don't.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Larryb posted:

Thanks, I’m currently working on trying to get Red up to EX as I’ve heard his Sync Move at that level is the only one that hits the opponent’s entire party (meanwhile literally any enemy trainer in the game can do the same to you, which doesn’t seem fair in my opinion)

Peh, back in my day the enemy sync not only hit your entire party, but wiped all your buffs! Units like Brendan and Olivia still tore through opponents with little issue, but definitely get to EXing units, striker damage is very helpful, but double sync buffs from supports is by far the best option, it really boosts your damage! I can end FFBs with a sync buff of like 5 or 6, it's pretty crazy. Another thing to remember is EXing units also gives them a bunch of extra stats, since you're making them 6*, and that really adds to their tankiness or damage.

Also another thing to maybe add to the OP is not to sleep on the free story units, especially the Legendaries, a lot of them are pretty good! Sure you have the expected Rosa and Skyla that you're expected to EX, but units like Barry and Hau are absolute terrors in rain/terrain, and getting dupes for them via candy is pretty dependable. Pryce and Ghetsis are amazing Ice attackers, especially in Hail, and Flannery can deal a lot of damage to the current Cobalion challenge. Misty is one of the best SpDef tanks, with Viola not far behind, Koga can stall and nuke poisoned enemies even in 7500 Master Mode, while Candice and Acerola are still the only real Hail/Sandstorm setters we have. Also Korrina and Iris are pretty good budget attackers of their type, while Roxanne, Torchic and Liza can buff up your strikers surprisingly quickly.

And of course when there's reruns, be sure to max out your F2P Legendaries, Cyrus is an amazing Water striker, and not a bad Dragon one either, and there's a lot of competition in both types, Sycamore is a deceptively good tank with Horn Leech and is the best buffer for your special attackers, and Solgaleo will be next for rerun, so hopefully its grid makes it into an amazing budget Steel attacker.

Man you can tell I like this game more than I should, despite it having quite a few issues, it's always been pretty light on content, I still really like this game a lot, and it's great how good most of the units are.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I haven’t really bothered trying them out but are any Egg Pokemon in the game worth using? Also apparently there are still Shinies in this game for whatever reason.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Might wanna throw this link into the op: Sync Grid Builds and Lucky Skills guide. It's usually updated when new units are released

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Larryb posted:

I haven’t really bothered trying them out but are any Egg Pokemon in the game worth using? Also apparently there are still Shinies in this game for whatever reason.

Not really. Some of have really niche uses but for the most part they're all outclassed by non-egg Pokemon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, is there a particular reason why Torchic can’t evolve and why a lot of egg Pokemon don’t get their full evolutionary line (meaning no Crobat, no Magnezone, no Magmortar, etc)?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, is there a particular reason why Torchic can’t evolve and why a lot of egg Pokemon don’t get their full evolutionary line (meaning no Crobat, no Magnezone, no Magmortar, etc)?

The particular reason Egg mons don't evolve is because Kanto bias. Every single egg mon has been from Gen 1, or a Gen 2 baby that becomes Gen 1 when it evolves. No idea about Torchic, but it seems like it's mostly a forgotten sync pair in the eyes of the devs.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The lack of Crobat is particularly odd to me since Koga literally uses one in the game.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Torchic can't evolve because they're saving Blaziken for an actual Gen III character, I'd assume.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Didn't stop Red and Leon from both having Charizard! :v:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

LightningKimba posted:

Didn't stop Red and Leon from both having Charizard! :v:

You can also get one of your own via eggs. Red’s is the only one that can Mega Evolve though right?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah, and I'd assume that when they add Dynamaxing later this year Leon's is going to get it's G-Max form.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vandar posted:

Yeah, and I'd assume that when they add Dynamaxing later this year Leon's is going to get it's G-Max form.

Have they said anything about how Dynamaxing is going to work in Masters (like can anybody do it or just certain trainers)?

Also with limited screen space I’m curious how it’s going to work visually as well.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Not that I can recall. The only thing they've mentioned is that it's coming for the two year anniversary.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm like 90% sure that all of these Galar pairs who have 3 different attacks will have gmax. Leon and Charizard, Raihan and Duraladon, and Nessa and Drednaw. Having 3 different types for Dmax moves is a lot more appealing for that mechanic. Meanwhile Bea's sirfetch'd only has 1 attack, and no gmax form, so I'm pretty sure she won't get it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m kind of curious how they’re even going to show the Dynamaxed Pokemon on screen (maybe zoom out on the battlefield a bit or reduce their size somewhat)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/PokemonMasters/status/1396692435439398913?s=20

We're almost there. Time to make that final push towards the goal.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

So who has everyone 6*'d?

I'm actually pretty satisfied between events, CS Master Mode, and just occassional pulls, I can get enough 5* tickets to do at least 1 6* per month

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wait, there are two Blue/Garys? How do you get the one with the Blastoise?

Also are there two Reds as well or is the Sygna Suit version the only one?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Larryb posted:

Wait, there are two Blue/Garys? How do you get the one with the Blastoise?

Also are there two Reds as well or is the Sygna Suit version the only one?

Sygna suit Blue came around during the 1 year anniversary, and reran during christmas, alongside Sygna Suit Leaf with Venusaur. SS Blue is almost without question the best support/tank unit in the game, and literally can slot himself into any team.

And yeah currently we only have sygna suit Red with Charizard. I have a hunch we might get a regular Red near the 2 year anniversary but that's entirely a guess.