Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Might as well get the dungeon cleared, the dungeon item will likely open up more for us to do/explore/clean up on the overworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
It's time to dungeoneer.
Update on the previous page.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
But please take care that you don't burn yourself out :ohdear: It's not that bad if we have to wait a bit between updates.

Can we do anything with that raft right now? Maybe try that before the dungeon, lest we forget about it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
yeah let's clear that dungeon!

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

Carpator Diei posted:

Can we do anything with that raft right now? Maybe try that before the dungeon, lest we forget about it.

Sadly, seems like we can't do anything with it yet.

Junpei posted:

yeah let's clear that dungeon!

Jade Rider posted:

Might as well get the dungeon cleared, the dungeon item will likely open up more for us to do/explore/clean up on the overworld.

Lynneth posted:

It's time to dungeoneer.
Update on the previous page.

OST - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbj6_9ha1Xk

Alright, it's dungeon time!

Next screen up we have some stalfos and keese. Both make OoT Stalchild and OoT Keese noises when hit.

Killing them gives us a compass. It's a LA-styled compass that beeps. Neat! Seems like the boss is just up on that ledge, but it's blocked.

More crabs over here. There's a switch we can't hit from this side that presumably lowers some barriers.

Ooh, puzzle up here!

Some of these blocks are unmarked, but it's not too hard to figure out. Lowered some barriers to the left.

Another switch. There seems to be a few barriers up on the upper ledge.

Unlit torch on this screen; can't do anything with it yet.

Seems like every corner of the upper ledge has a barrier that needs to be lowered.

Killing these blokes gives us a small key. Neat!

Well, there's the way up to the upper ledge, but it's also blocked by a barrier. Guess we have an objective alongside finding the boss key.

With that, we've made a full loop around the central chamber.

Technically, I did upload this within 24 hours... 24:59 hours still has 24 as the hour. Barely in time.

DimiPZC fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 19, 2021

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
After BoaB, it's just so nice to see an uncluttered dungeon without any obnoxious graphical gimmicks.

Seems like we have three possible routes: Top left, top right, bottom right. Let's try top left first, that block-pushing puzzle already opened something on the left side.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

Carpator Diei posted:

After BoaB, it's just so nice to see an uncluttered dungeon without any obnoxious graphical gimmicks.

It is quite refreshing, yes!

Sorry I haven't been directly responding to comments beyond suggestions, I'm usually focused on pushing out the really late update by that point. Gonna try and respond to people from now on.

Carpator Diei posted:

Seems like we have three possible routes: Top left, top right, bottom right. Let's try top left first, that block-pushing puzzle already opened something on the left side.

OST - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbj6_9ha1Xk

Let's head up these stairs.

Seems like a small teaser of what's to come...

And dead end! That's unfortunate.

Let's head on the lower path then. There's a lock block that we could unlock, but let's see what's north first.

Goriyas! They're nasty. Deal a heart of damage and have minimal warning before attacking, just like they did in the original Zelda.

Huh, good to know.

This room looks friendly!

At least we get a key for our efforts.

Good thing too, cause up here is a dead end.

Let's unlock the lock block then. But first...

Killing all the enemies in this room gives us more bombs. Good thing too, cause we were out!

Even better, cause this room had a dodongo.

Fun fact: if you time the explosion right to explode in it's face, it'll be stunned and you can kill it with your sword. It'll always drop bombs this way, pretty handy trick.

And here's our dungeon item! It's the blue candle from Zelda 1.

It also uses magic on top of the once per room thing. At least we can burn things now!

We can light this torch to lower that barrier blocking us earlier...

And we can even light up dark rooms! Neato.

More bombs. It'd suck to leave the dungeon and trek to restock.

This conveyor room is nasty; I died like 5 times because of the goriya down here.

Here's the blocks we lowered earlier!

Another fun room! This one is deceptively easy; the blue traps only shoot left and right this time.

Which only matters when getting this red rupee.

Conveyors AND shooters? My day has been made. It's worth noting that the Candle actually deals twice the damage of the wood sword; it's pretty powerful this early, but you can only use it once per screen.

Like all good beamos, you can bomb the shooter to remove it.

Free bombs, and a crack in the wall. Hmm...

Bingo.

This seems precarious.

Actually it isn't too bad. Key get!

Taking the non-bomb exit, we have another locked door, but before we do that...

Gonna want this shortcut.

Beyond the locked door is this dodongo closet. It's a minor difficulty jump, but nothing too bad.

And there's our boss key. If we lower all the barriers, we could reach the boss!

DimiPZC fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 19, 2021

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

DimiPZC posted:

Unlit torch on this screen; can't do anything with it yet.
Now we can :v:

DimiPZC posted:

We can light this torch to lower that barrier blocking us earlier...
If I understand the layout correctly, the path behind that barrier should lead to the first of the four important corner switches.

Afterwards, let's go clockwise and try the upper-right path next.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That once-per-room restriction really sucks this early on especially since the item itself is very good at dealing damage at this point of the game

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Are you okay? Or is this dead?

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!
Sorry, I had a lot of stuff and drama going on and I didn't have the energy to continue this for a bit. I'm gonna try to get back into the swing of things though v.v

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

DimiPZC posted:

Sorry, I had a lot of stuff and drama going on and I didn't have the energy to continue this for a bit. I'm gonna try to get back into the swing of things though v.v

Best of luck, Dimi! Take it easy.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

rooting for you, but also don’t force anything from yourself; your rl > us internet randos

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!
Alright, setting a deadline so I get things done. Next update will be within the next 24 hours, :toxx: to make sure it happens. I have all the screenshots taken, I just need to force myself to write it up.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You can do it! I believe in you!

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbj6_9ha1Xk

With our new candle, we can light this unlit torch we saw earlier.

...Well that's new!

It seems to add to a new Skull Counter in our pause menu, so it's probably not the only one we'll be seeing.

Carpator Diei posted:

If I understand the layout correctly, the path behind that barrier should lead to the first of the four important corner switches.

And so we can! That's yet another barrier down.

Carpator Diei posted:

Afterwards, let's go clockwise and try the upper-right path next.

This sure is a tight space...

But that's unlocked now.

Next path, then!

...oh boy.

Have a fancy gif of me solving the puzzle. I'm sure this gif was in no way a contributor to the delay on the update. :)

Here we have one of those dungeons torches we heard about. These fully heal both your life and magic. It helps if you took a beating on the way here!

Ah, spikes and bats. A match made in heaven.

The switch opens a shortcut to the left (we've been there already) and a new path downwards...

And that's another barrier down. One more to go!

Unfortunately, right of the block puzzle is currently a dead end.

Time to take the last remaining path we have!

Well there's the map.

This place is pretty big, though it has nothing on BoaB's first dungeon. Also, ZC has built in map functionality; Isle of Rebirth does something different from normal quests by locking it's usage in dungeons behind getting the map. Hope you have a good mental map!

:stare:

That's a lot of poo poo!

With proper timing though, we can hit this switch to trap the traps inside the blocks.

And that lets us hit this switch, which lowers the spikes and allows us to proceed past that dead end earlier. This room is pretty straightforward and there's nothing else on this path, so lets head over there and use our key we have.

On the other side of that lock block, we now have to deal with this room without trapping the traps. We have a lot more room and the agency to slash the pots now though, so it's not too bad.

Free bomb drop here. Nice.

Oh boy, a dark room.

Let there be light!

Looks like we have another block puzzle.

This one is far simpler than the last one though, we only have one block and one switch.

And there's the last barrier down!

Do.

Da doop.

Doop.

Do!

And we now have convenient access to the boss. Next time, I guess we find out what's beyond the door?

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
It's back :neckbeard:

This dungeon has an interesting layout; I like how the side-paths intersect and how everything is focused on the main puzzle in the middle.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5T9C1QQnqI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCGaCNeHs0I

Blue Crustacean: Crabalt

Health: 10
0.5x Sword damage (most things default at 2 damage for the lowest damage)
0.5x Bomb damage
1x Candle damage

Crabalt might catch you surprise, but isn't all that hard. Crabalt starts off acting as a really fast leever; you can hit it before it hits you to not get hit by hit, or just move out of the way. When it reaches half health, that's when it brings out it's surprises. It gains a new attack: a leaping attack that homes in on you. It also upgrades it's dash attack to leave behind a trail of fire. The latter prevents you from just attacking to iframe through it, forcing you to move out of the way. The former prevents you from moving out of the way, forcing you to iframe through it. You need to stay on your toes to dodge it's attacks.

It takes 10 sword hits to kill Crabalt. The Blue Candle and Bombs, however, are very powerful. The Candle, the only thing Crabalt takes 1x damage from, shreds the health of Crabalt, dealing 4 sword hits worth of damage, as do bombs (which normally do 4x the amount of damage the first sword does). Bombs are hard to time, but the Candle you just place and forgot to deal nearly half Crabalt's health.

All in all, Crabalt is a pretty easy boss in the scope of things, but they can catch you off guard easily with the 2nd phase. Fun fact: the 2nd phase was not present in the early beta of this quest, as originally it was an unscripted enemy. It was a quite evil surprise.

We now have our first heart container! Nice!

And our first Triforce piece! Only 7 more to go, woo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HguyY4qtCo0

?: I've heard of this as well, Lumen. I'm wary of trying to apprehend him though. I would be very careful if you try. His blatant disregard for our presence shows he doesn't consider us a threat at all...

Well, with our first triforce piece under our belt, and nothing at all plotwise happening, the world is open to us again. Where do you wish to go?

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!
Bonus update: Level 1 map

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

That crab has some heckin' zoomies :stare:

Can we try Candle-ing a brown mushroom to see if it burns?

We should probably burn this tree too:

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I think we can probably burn down those trees, yeah. There were some blocking a cave, if I remember?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Can we afford anything in one of the shops from all the rupees this place gave us?

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!
Okay, seriously, I need to get better at keeping a schedule.

Next update tomorrow.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Well that didn't work out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!
Gonna be a bit of hiatus (wow that was a month late), my computer refuses to charge and I can't afford to have it repaired v.v