Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Femtosecond posted:

Tbh BC is so much in the iron grip of Pattison Foods that if we had more Loblaws it would actually increase competition substantially (except that it doesn't seem to matter).

Standing at Main and Broadway in Vancouver and the nearest groceries are Nestors and Buy Low Foods, both Pattison. A few blocks south is Save on Foods, also Pattison. A few blocks north at Olympic Village is the Urban Fare, also Pattison. You need to go all the way to Commercial Drive to find non-Pattison with Safeway and in the other direction to Cambie, where there's a No Frills (Loblaws), Whole Foods (Amazon) and Save on (Pattison).

Wait the billboard Pattison? What the gently caress? This country really is owned by like 5 noble families.

Can’t wait until the Irvings make me pay for daily oxygen rations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

On researching brands I'm annoyed to find out that Thrifty's, which I thought was a quirky Vancouver Island chain, was acquired by Sobeys a few years ago.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

Wait the billboard Pattison? What the gently caress? This country really is owned by like 5 noble families.

Jimmy Pattison also owns car dealerships, seafood packagers, canfor, a coal terminal and more. https://www.jimpattison.com/industries/

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Kraftwerk posted:

Jim Pattison owns like half of Vancouver and a chunk of BC politicians went to work for the Pattison group after leaving office. Yeah it's basically a noble family at this point.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Wholesale club is my go to, this is going to hurt. I most recently got 2L of capers for $16, five times cheaper than at the regular grocery store. arugula is 30% cheaper. ricotta is half price. as are potatoes.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

infernal machines posted:

Who owns Oceans?

Not Loblaws, something called Oceans Fresh Group - https://canadiangrocer.com/nations-fresh-foods-opens-foodertainment-store-toronto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Precambrian Video Games posted:

My best alternative is Whole Foods, which is better albeit not necessarily cheaper. Sticking it to Galen Weston Jr by buying Bezos instead feels a little hollow, though.

Yeah, it's not Loblaw but it's hard to call it a victory.