Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
If I were to buy a new Intel chip, should I be waiting for DDR5 prices to drop or should I get a board with DDR4? Seems like current DDR5 doesn't offer a huge boost, but will it at some point? The price seems so ridiculous, it seems like the money would be better spent on more and faster storage. I'm using a 3900x right now with a 3080 and starting to get an itch to upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, go DDR4. DDR5 offers no major advantage right now. It will in the future, but it's so much more expensive currently that you'd be better off putting that money toward a better CPU instead (e.g. a 12700K with DDR4 will be faster and cheaper than a 12600K with the fastest DDR5 kits available).

This is not too different from how the DDR3 to 4 transition played out. It was better to wait out the first year or two of that as well.
Thanks, that's what I figured, in a year or two I can make the jump. I already have some decent DDR4 I'll use for now.

Butterfly Valley posted:

If you're just gaming you won't see any tangible performance benefit even if you upgraded to the most expensive Alder Lake chip.
If that's the case, I may just wait a while then. I thought it might be, but the new Intel chips seems like a big step up, but yeah, my CPU isn't that dated yet.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

If you’re running 1440p+ the difference will be nearly non-existent here.

You should wait another gen or 2.
Okay, that's great to know, I appreciate it, I'm going to just wait then.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($369.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650M AORUS ELITE AX Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($118.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design North ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $946.86

Video card is a 3080, and power supply is pretty new EVGA 750 G3, so I should be fine there. parts seem pretty standard, just want to make sure I'm not making some dumb mistake, particularity on the motherboard. I have no idea what to look for here. I have an MSI right now, and it has worked out great, so I wonder if I should just get the MSI, they seem the same as far as features.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B650-GAMING-PLUS-WIFI

The M.2 slots on the MSI are a bit different, but not sure if that matters much.

MSI:
2280/22110 M-key
2260/2280 M-key
vs.
GB:
2580/25110 M-key
2280/22110 M-key

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Psion posted:

I went through this with Spacedrake and just check a list of what you plan to put on it, make sure it has enough ports and connectors of whatever types you need, and then you're fine. for what it's worth I have that exact same board, the Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX. it's fine. But if you want MSI, go MSI. They're fine, I replaced an MSI board which served me for years.

from what I've looked up since now that my brain isn't in a haze of decision paralysis, they're all drat near identical anyway no matter how much the marketing copy wants to pretend otherwise.
Yeah, thanks, I figured, I just wanted to make sure I didn't choose some terrible board, and as you said, most seem pretty close to the same in this price category.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I finished my build and my previous windows install works fine, but I want a clean install on a new M.2 drive. But when I choose this drive, it gives the following error in the image below. People have various theories, my question is, can this be caused by having windows on a separate M.2 drive? I don't really want to blow my windows install away until I know it's going to work. Also taking it out right now isn't really an option as it is under the video card and the heat sinks are installed as well.

edit: I pulled the other M.2 and that seems to be the issue. Dumb.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

KingKapalone posted:

Reposting this since it got lost in the Windows activation talk.
Windows did this to me too. Lesson being make sure you only install windows with the main drive in from now on. I can't believe it would just use a random drive like this for my boot partition. I think you can make a boot partition on the windows drive and make it bootable, I see a few solutions, but I am not in a hurry to mess around with my PC more at this point. Windows wouldn't even let me install with two nvme drives, so I should have removed the ssd too at the same time I took out the nvme. Oh well.