Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think the Clawlord on Broodhorror had a Warplock Pistol in the trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/22/grombrindal-returns-to-the-mortal-realms-to-celebrate-the-500th-issue-of-white-dwarf/

New anniversary, new anniversary model. This time it's White Dwarf celebrating 500 issues.

Possibly the one model with most cross compatability.

How are they going to have rules for him in Underworlds? There's no individual model selection, you just pick a whole war band. Is he going to be a one-man war band?

Edit: I guess it could be a just-for-fun scenario rather than actual competitive rules.

Muir fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 22, 2024

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

grassy gnoll posted:

I have been banging the drum of jezzails ignoring Look Out, Sir for ages, so this is mildly gratifying on a personal level. I am a little surprised to see the warlock engineer's not a wizard anymore, and that More More Warp Power is going to be highly situational as opposed to a general Skryre spell.

I have to assume this spotter-to-gunner arrangement is going to work out at slightly less long range for Cities armies as well.

The theory I’ve heard is they cut Skryre wizards because of how you’re picking one lore for your entire army so they’d be casting Seer spells.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Skyre were never true wizards anyway, they used mad science to do the same thing. This means Grey Seers should get Warp Lightning back.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Yeah. It makes sense, I'm just sad about losing the ability to Tony Montana my way through a pile of warp sparks.

Making Grey Seers scary would be a nice tradeoff, at least. Skitterleap and death frenzy are both great, but wither just ain't it, you know?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/22/grombrindal-returns-to-the-mortal-realms-to-celebrate-the-500th-issue-of-white-dwarf/

New anniversary, new anniversary model. This time it's White Dwarf celebrating 500 issues.

Possibly the one model with most cross compatability.

It's kinda funny and also confirms the rumors that GW is enforcing a strict barrier between SGS and mainline games that he is getting rules for every GW game under the sun except old world.

Are you telling me this Old World-rear end dwarf has rules in Cursed City and not Old World?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
It probably seems stupid at first, but if you think about it for a little bit then it still seems really stupid

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Grombrindal is literally a Legendary Lord in Total War Warhammer

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Geisladisk posted:

It's kinda funny and also confirms the rumors that GW is enforcing a strict barrier between SGS and mainline games that he is getting rules for every GW game under the sun except old world.

Are you telling me this Old World-rear end dwarf has rules in Cursed City and not Old World?

Old World doesn't have legacy gently caress around rules. You technically can't use him in aos either.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
If The Old World community isn't unofficially codexing every conceivable fantasy model then they deserve the hell the GW/FW fued has consigned them to

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

War and Pieces posted:

If The Old World community isn't unofficially codexing every conceivable fantasy model then they deserve the hell the GW/FW fued has consigned them to

I don't really understand this feud, where does the information come from? Surely someone with authority over both is directing them on how they interact and what gets produced, given it's a public company and not a garage operation.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

JBP posted:

I don't really understand this feud, where does the information come from? Surely someone with authority over both is directing them on how they interact and what gets produced, given it's a public company and not a garage operation.

FW was a garage operation that was only reluctantly absorbed into GW as it became professionalized. The feud is bc they're competing for resources from the print and marketing and I guess HR departments that they "pay for" out of mini sales. So if you buy the wrong goblins to use for your game one of those departments is eating the others lunch

A YouTuber who used to work at GW, AoS Coach had a video about the corporate structure.

War and Pieces fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 23, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

War and Pieces posted:

FW was a garage operation that was only reluctantly absorbed into GW as it became professionalized. The feud is bc they're competing for resources from the print and marketing and I guess HR departments that they "pay for" out of mini sales.

They're owned by GW though? I don't really get how they're autonomous to the point that they can have a beef that affects the final product. I'm sure it's real, just seems odd to me.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

It's like my department charging my hourly rate to other departments when they request a work order. It makes no sense to me but I matters to some bean counter somewhere.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

JBP posted:

They're owned by GW though? I don't really get how they're autonomous to the point that they can have a beef that affects the final product. I'm sure it's real, just seems odd to me.

It is both odd and stupid.

Ignore the clickbait thumbnail, there's cogent explanations in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPv2SezYHQQ

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Ah that's the YouTuber I was thinking of!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

JBP posted:

Because some people go a little crazy with the tiniest modicum of power, and certain management schools teach that competition between departments is the best motivator.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Because some people go a little crazy with the tiniest modicum of power, and certain management schools teach that competition between departments is the best motivator.

It never occurred to me that gw might be using stacking or competing business units. Dumb poo poo.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
It’s dumb but I’ve worked in places where the attitude was just casually “don’t do anything for that other department unless the boss makes you, they’ll get the credit and the project will just show up on their books”. Not even out of pissiness, just a sort of target focus that discourages collaboration.

I could imagine this setup actually being a compromise position, like an attempt to make sure all sales are clearly trackable and associated with a particular line so everything is ‘fair’ to the teams. Again, dumb and harmful but not uncommon.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Sometimes your division head is also a major shareholder, so it gets harder to push back on bizarre policies.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And we also only have content creators word on how acrimonous it is, people with active interest in farming engagement.

The Old World is a pretty big experiment with likely very strict sales goals. If I was the head of it and my job and the jobs of the people that worked for me depended on meeting those goals, I'd want it very clear which game the revenue was supporting.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And we also only have content creators word on how acrimonous it is, people with active interest in farming engagement

Personally I don't care about how acrimonious it is, I care about how it has actively harmed two games I love and my local community around them.

Actively harming your products so somebody in a suit has a easier time looking at a excel spreadsheet to determine the exact revenue share of internal departments is loving stupid.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 23, 2024

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Geisladisk posted:

Personally I don't care about how acrimonious it is, I care about how it has actively harmed two games I love and my local community around them.

Actively harming your products so somebody in a suit has a easier time looking at a excel spreadsheet to determine the exact revenue share of internal departments is loving stupid.

In fairness it's probably a polo shirt.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Welp I bought the warcry darkoath gang and war queen. I'm going to get the new box as well. I probably won't ever play a game but I can't go past some sweet Conan dudes, they're awesome.

I also like the fluff that Sigmar is invading their home and they're more gently caress you than let the world burn.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The world already burned and sigmar did gently caress all to stop it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lostconfused posted:

The world already burned and sigmar did gently caress all to stop it.

He's not allowed to help unless you have his magic hammer and even then he's too busy or something.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Celestant Prime's got the magic hammer these days, though he shows up late if he makes an appearance in the first place anyway.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

He left Big Karl to do it all on hard mode against Nurgle and Archaon then when the whole world was literally blowing up around my boy he was like "ugh fine I'll help... IF I HAVE TO"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New info on the missions and GHB

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/24/heres-how-battlepacks-battleplans-and-the-generals-handbook-work-in-newaos/

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
GHB in the $250 box seems a better deal than the Crusade Rules 40k got last year.

Vvvv I thought GHB was more akin to Chapter Approved than the mission decks.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 24, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The Leviathan deck was also in the 40K starter box.

Edit: the deck is the set of rules and missions that's used in tournaments, so it's pretty much the same thing as generals handbook from that point of view. It doesn't have extra rules for list building though so those don't come up in tournaments.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 24, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

The General’s Handbook 2024-25 found in the impending launch box comes in a card format, featuring season rules, battle tactics, battleplans, and scoring cards in a handy format.***

*** You’ll note that grand strategies are not part of this matched play season.

The GHB is also a deck now.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Leviathan deck is the best part of 40k 10th so good.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Wow the deployment zones are a full half of the map? Theres no seperation?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Al-Saqr posted:

Wow the deployment zones are a full half of the map? Theres no seperation?

There’s usually a rule saying you can’t deploy within 9 inches of enemy territory but otherwise yes, because a lot of effects care about being in or out of your or enemy territory.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

An increasing amount of underdog rules seems like fiddly bookkeeping, rather than a true catch up mechanic. I think I honestly would have preferred it just stay as a bonus command point.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Prescribed terrain seems like a positive step. Takes the swingingness out of stuff like Sylvaneth

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

My knee jerk reaction is that I hate that Battle Tactics are staying but I reserve judgement for until we get the BT article.

My one wish for this edition is that BTs as they currently exist are taken out back and shot and a good system replaces them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

grassy gnoll posted:

An increasing amount of underdog rules seems like fiddly bookkeeping, rather than a true catch up mechanic. I think I honestly would have preferred it just stay as a bonus command point.

There are two underdog effects. Extra CP and one benefit depending on the mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Blasmeister posted:

Prescribed terrain seems like a positive step. Takes the swingingness out of stuff like Sylvaneth

It’s mostly formalizing a thing the community already did - the competitive community has had terrain setups and rules like this for a while now.