Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ihmemies posted:

I'm on 12700K and Win10 seems to be just fine. Games run 50% faster than with my 8700K so why upgrade the os? :shrug:
I think some stuff freaks out and crashes when using the e-cores on Windows 10. That’s the only real reason though and I’m sure that’s going to get fixed in software (if it hasn’t been already).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

shrike82 posted:

Pycharm into remote SSH projects - not sure if Pycharm Win is full featured as the Linux version

Also, run the occasional jupyter notebook and Python script locally

There’s surprisingly little info about WSL2 online, specifically whether there’s any performance hit
For stuff that doesn't require a GPU the performance is pretty close to just running things bare metal as MikusR said.

We've also been playing around with the GPU performance of Nvidia stuff on Win11 with WSLg and it's honestly pretty good, roughly 70% of bare metal running simulations in ROS through rviz/gazebo. I haven't tried to optimise anything yet so that's just with the basic Nvidia drivers installed from apt on Ubuntu 20.04 because we wanted to see if we could actually get it to work.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

DerekSmartymans posted:

I saw a guide on makeuseof.com in my inbox, and it made me curious: which is better for a windows veteran (and Debian newbie via WSL) to run the newest MacOS, VirtualBox or VMware? The guide is pretty thorough but I never really played with virtual machines before WSL. I’m not looking for any reason other than my grown son has a MacBook I used a couple of times when I visited, and I do use iOS, iPadOS, and even AppleTVOS at home. I don’t really have any reason for this other than experimenting, education, and just farting around, and my Win11 desktop has tons of memory/processing power that sits idle even playing two Eve Online accounts while watching Netflix and WSL Debian on my second monitor. My biggest problem is my internet connection bandwidth (15-20 down/5-8 up) which is a 4G LTE hotspot, but I have unlimited access so really big games or ISO’s just get downloaded overnight once I go to sleep.

Any tips are appreciated, especially if a preference matters or not. I’ve seen both used, but never thought much about why friends/brotherIL used one or the other!
I've just eyeballed the site and I'm not sure if you're referring to this article or something else but if it's that article it's about running Windows on macOS rather than the other way around. Apple's licensing for the OS stipulates that you can only legally run macOS on Apple Hardware and honestly the performance of Mac VMs (outside of macOS 12 VMs on Apple Silicon Macs which seem to have native hardware graphics support) has always been kind of garbage so even if you could get it running it wouldn't really be representative of how it is to use.

The good news (and relevant to this thread) is that you can very much run Windows 11 Virtual Machines on Macs and that seems to now include the ARM variant on Apple Silicon Macs. I haven't seen an announcement anywhere but a few months back regular Windows 11 keys started working for activation on Win11 ARM VMs so we're assuming it's all kosher at this point.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Hah, my hopes are zero. If it can occupy a few hours on a Friday without a lot of deep configuration while I play BattleTech ‘s campaign while modded on my main monitor I’ll be satisfied. If I can get it to run “Pages” without resorting to -man or equivalent then I’ll be happy. If something goes too sideways that a quick question here (SA, not the Win11 thread unless it’s a VM issue with Windows) or a basic Google search won’t fix I will straight up delete and walk away!

I will look for an old Mac, though…I always forget SAMart or shopgoodwill.com etc. Heck I may buy my son a new one for Christmas (he’s using the one we got him for school and graduated in 2020) and reclaim his instead of donating it or ewasting it (which sucks for still useful hardware!).
I will also recommend VMware Workstation Player as a personal licence for the sort of stuff you want to do is free. It's especially good if you want to mess around a bit more with a 'full' Linux install (which is to say a completely self contained OS install) as opposed to WSL (which is a VM but also exists in the actual Windows kernel space). I've been using VMware forever through work and it's always been the most reliable overall across platforms in my experience (although it's lagging behind a bit on macOS at the moment).

Something to note as well is that if you've got the Pro version of Windows 10/11 you can use Hyper-V instead. Hyper-V is Microsoft's equivalent of VMware's core hypervisor built into the operating system and it's perfectly serviceable for both Windows and Linux VMs with minimal fuss.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Yeah I have Win11 Pro, and hyper-v is installed. The main thing I liked about WSL is that I can just hit the Win Key and type “de” or “kal” and it opens Debian or Kali straight away.

I am going to install VMware (hopefully) along with whatever MacOS iso I can find this afternoon (couldn’t last night because a bud in Australia wanted to play BattleTech and I ended up setting alarm for 2am and going to bed at 8:30ish lol). Pretty much the only time I can sit uninterrupted at my desktop is after 10pm Central US, but I’ll definitely post if I have virtualization questions.
I'd probably stick with Hyper-V in your case as it's the equivalent of Workstation Pro and has all the virtual networking options which I believe are extremely limited for the personal Workstation Player licence. It may not sound like much but if you decide you want to learn more about networking then being able to set up a few VMs on a private host-only network with another one acting as a router (running something like pfsense) either fully bridged or using NAT to get onto your normal network can be neat.

All you need to get started is an ISO for the appropriate OS and in the case of Linux VMs you might need to disable SecureBoot/TPM emulation (which you'll need for Win11 VMs). Use Gen2 VMs as well, they're more representative of how a modern computer actually works with virtualised UEFI and modern networking support.

Just remember that your Hyper-V VMs are essentially a completely contained separate computer and don't have the hooks back into your Windows userspace that WSL does so they don't share your folders or user accounts, etc. If you want to access files between them you'll need to set up networking and file shares as if you would with another physical computer on your network.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Make a bootable USB installer, unplug the network during setup and use the OOBE command mentioned in that article and it should work just fine. I have to do that on Win11 VMs I spin up initially since they don't have drivers for the virtual network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

univbee posted:

drat. I don't have a specific answer to your question, but it might be worth exploring the following:

- Contacting your insurance provider to discuss this with them directly. You might be able to get something in writing from them that protects you if a leak happens through Microsoft.
- If you all you need to do is store the files, do you have avenues to store them in a way that they're not "always available" on your computer or not going to be part of whatever copilot is doing (e.g. not located by most filesystem-level tasks, for example if the files are in some type of container)? If you need to consult old files regularly this might not be viable, though.
I believe the discussion relayed was with the insurance provider which makes it even worse but it's also not really that surprising. I'm also in Australia at a University and we've also been extremely slow to make decisions around how to handle AI stuff, especially for exams and assignments.

Even though a lot of stuff has used ML algorithms for quite some time I don't think anyone was really prepared for just how hard the major players were going to push "AI" in such a short period of time. Most people see the "AI" buzzword but don't actually understand what it involves and as a result everyone's still scrambling to catch up as what it's actually doing starts to filter through.