Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

ReelBigLizard posted:

Ok but like I said, my use case isn't yours. The ender isn't mine btw, just one I helped someone fix up. Also the parts I posted are as good as anything my friends with bambu printers put out lately so I guess I don't agree?

I really don't have a problem with bambu, I actually suggest bambu printers to people who ask me my opinion in some cases. I just wasn't expecting to get brigaded for not having fully researched how to run a non standard filament in a one.

I had already discovered that I can't use one for enough of my client book that when I heard you couldn't run abrasives I didn't need to research why. Obviously any printer can be made to do pretty much anything with enough time and effort.

yeah so I think the crux of the confusion here, is that an ender 3 vs pretty much any printer equivalent to a bambu p1s(etc) is night and day.

Ender 3 Pros
-Cheap
-You can spend more money to upgrade it, and its historically popular enough that hotend mounts etc are out there

Bambu Pros
-works pretty much out of the box
-Not really locked down at all. Use whatever slicer, filament, etc you want.
-Chepa replacement parts
-Significantly faster

Bambu Cons
-your locked into buying their hotends/parts. In theory this is annoying, in practice the parts are cheap and it really doesnt come up that often
-One day Bambu might become a jerk and lock down there machines

```````````

The real risk for a bambu is that in a year or 2 they take a swing and lock down the ecosystem like cricut or any number of crappy companies. To say their printers dont really fit a use case is a bit wild though, unless your use case is to have a machine you want to sink money into and tinker with

The abrasives filament issueis more about the ams feed mechanism grinding down. From experience, your have the same issue with tons of different printers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I was under the impression you didn't get access to the full features unless you went through their network toolchain, like if you disconnect it you just get a dumb SD card printer?

I know they're good printers, some of my contacts have them locally, it works good out of the box, like Apple, that's why I usually suggest them. I just can't use them for some of my clients even if I did the parts I print would come out the same as on my friends ender or my main delta or even my little £140 mini tinyboy frankenstein guy. Faster definitely, but that's not really a priority for me.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 28, 2024

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

I was under the impression you didn't get access to the full features unless you went through their toolchain, like if you disconnect it you just get a dumb SD card printer?

I fully accept that they're super easy and run great out of the box if you stick with the system, it's like Apple, that's why I usually suggest them. But I also work with some clients who deal with valuable/sensitive IP so a closed/cloud system is unacceptable.

The X1E is their solution to that

https://bambulab.com/en/x1e

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Everything except the phone app and firmware updates work on Bambu printers without any cloud connection.

Remote operation from PC, live camera etc. work just gine in lan-mode without the cloud.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

mattfl posted:

The X1E is their solution to that

https://bambulab.com/en/x1e

It's cool and all but it's still a suspiciously cheap closed source and networked printer from Shenzhen. Forgive me if I don't take a printer company's word on it.

How's Bre Pettis getting on these days anyways?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

ReelBigLizard posted:

It's cool and all but it's still a suspiciously cheap closed source and networked printer from Shenzhen. Forgive me if I don't take a printer company's word on it.

How's Bre Pettis getting on these days anyways?

i mean inspecting the network traffic coming out of a device is a trivial matter, and i assume it's been done by *someone* for this model.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Hueforgin'

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Tremors posted:

Hueforgin'

Really neat...what filaments did you use for the blue one?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Maybe stopping being big mad in the 3d printer thread will make you feel better.

3d printer thread just makes people big mad. it always has, since the very beginning. i suspect it gets more reports than any other thread in diy (i assume the median is 0).

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I refuse to believe this thread generates more reports because motronic doesn't tell people how stupid they are here.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Just gonna recommend the Ender 3 and back out of the thread slowly.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

For you guys who don't just let your rolls suck moisture from your moist carpet, do you prefer the cereal box or the multi roll box storage?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

ReelBigLizard posted:

Missed this post before, that sounds cool as hell. I have a dream of developing a room-scale printer tied to the floor and ceiling with a huge pellet fed nozzle.

I'll do it when I Have Time

Apparently, the biggest issue during the build was getting the threaded z axis rods delivered unbent. It took several attempts by different carriers.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Google Butt posted:

For you guys who don't just let your rolls suck moisture from your moist carpet, do you prefer the cereal box or the multi roll box storage?

I put each roll in a 1 gallon ziplock bag with some dessicant if it didn't come with a bag with a closure thing on it. I do have a big tub with some rolls in it but I haven't worried about moisture proofing it, it's just for storage. The rest I just pile up on a shelf and the floor and trip over. Organization, that's my game.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Rexxed posted:

Just gonna recommend the Ender 3 and back out of the thread slowly.

How dare you :bahgawd:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Rexxed posted:

I put each roll in a 1 gallon ziplock bag with some dessicant if it didn't come with a bag with a closure thing on it.

this. but mostly the carpet method.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

filament is basically room dessicant if u think about it :2bong:

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Really neat...what filaments did you use for the blue one?

It was creality brand black and white with this teal for the middle layer: https://a.co/d/fGe0YH2

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Hi guys, sorry to ask again but I am the kind of person who will research forever and never pull the trigger on something for myself though so I want to do it soon. I found someone selling a used Creality CR 10 SE for $250. I’ve also been looking at an Elegoo Neptune 4 Pro, which is new for about the same price on their website. The reviews for both seem good. I’m not looking to do anything crazy with them, just make fun little (and eventually bigger) models for myself, my sons and as prizes for my students.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Hi guys, sorry to ask again but I am the kind of person who will research forever and never pull the trigger on something for myself though so I want to do it soon. I found someone selling a used Creality CR 10 SE for $250. I’ve also been looking at an Elegoo Neptune 4 Pro, which is new for about the same price on their website. The reviews for both seem good. I’m not looking to do anything crazy with them, just make fun little (and eventually bigger) models for myself, my sons and as prizes for my students.

I've seen a Neptune 4. Nice looking printer. Feels like the cheap knock-off of an mk3s in terms of features, and the print I saw it make looked not bad, although the reason I got to see it is because the owner was having trouble with bed adhesion. It just needed to be trammed, but I guess this still isn't quite the "just press print" experience some folks need.

Seems like a solid choice, IMO.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Just in case you didn't see, the a1 mini is now $250 as well if that size works for you.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Oh no, now I’m looking at this one too. Multiple colors is really cool, but it seems a decent bit smaller. 180mm vs 225mm.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Tremors posted:

It was creality brand black and white with this teal for the middle layer: https://a.co/d/fGe0YH2

Ok, I gotta get my act together and start testing. It was one of the excuses to get the AMS :)

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Oh no, now I’m looking at this one too. Multiple colors is really cool, but it seems a decent bit smaller. 180mm vs 225mm.

The version which includes the AMS Lite (for multi-color printing) is $400, although you could add it on later.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

armorer posted:

The version which includes the AMS Lite (for multi-color printing) is $400, although you could add it on later.

I would do that. So how much would I miss out on with a smaller printer? I’m not looking to make cosplay props or costume helmets or whatever.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I would do that. So how much would I miss out on with a smaller printer? I’m not looking to make cosplay props or costume helmets or whatever.

Most slicers have built in tools to slice larger parts into pieces and even add pegs/holes to reattach.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

What are you looking to make? I occasionally print stuff that needs the slightly larger bed, but >80% of what I print would probably fit on the a1 mini.

Edit - For example some board game box organizer stuff wouldn't fit, and also wouldn't easily work being split and glued back together because they're typically thin walled boxes.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Multi jointed models like this: https://i.etsystatic.com/37053839/r/il/51107a/5647614184/il_570xN.5647614184_ribg.jpg

Eventually big multi-piece models like this: https://cdn.toymakr3d.com/img/product/thumbnail/800_800/img-ironshell-1710693309.jpg

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

The biggest parts of that Ironshell model are just barely larger than the A1 Mini's build volume - there's one piece that's 189mm tall, and another that's 189mm long. But you could still print it by scaling all the parts down a few percent, or just splitting those larger parts into two smaller bits and gluing them back together.

As far as the more common "flexy" stuff, most of that scales well down to 50 or 60% size if needed, but also most of it really isn't that big until you start getting into the longer dragons and such.

I like to print rather big things in as few pieces as possible, and even I could get a lot of mileage out of something the size of a Mini. The price drop has made getting one super duper tempting.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Yeah, the Mini dropping to less than $400(including the shipping) made it a no-brainer purchase for me and my drama department. It's going to be great for small props, accessories, and costume embellishments.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Acid Reflux posted:

The biggest parts of that Ironshell model are just barely larger than the A1 Mini's build volume - there's one piece that's 189mm tall, and another that's 189mm long. But you could still print it by scaling all the parts down a few percent, or just splitting those larger parts into two smaller bits and gluing them back together.

As far as the more common "flexy" stuff, most of that scales well down to 50 or 60% size if needed, but also most of it really isn't that big until you start getting into the longer dragons and such.

I like to print rather big things in as few pieces as possible, and even I could get a lot of mileage out of something the size of a Mini. The price drop has made getting one super duper tempting.

If it’s 189mm on one plane, as long as you can change the orientation of the part you can typically get it to fit by putting the 189mm side diagonal.

It depends a lot on the model and stuff, but I’ve done it successfully.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I assume it would be trivial to just shrink the big thing by like 1% with the software, right?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I assume it would be trivial to just shrink the big thing by like 1% with the software, right?

Sure, but if it’s a multi-piece fit together model scaling like that could destroy the whole model unless you shrink it all.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Sure, but if it’s a multi-piece fit together model scaling like that could destroy the whole model unless you shrink it all.

You can also run into issues with parts that are intended to have very specific tolerances like ball joints, where the shrunken part no longer fits with the same amount of friction as was intended.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Well that’s bad then!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Biggest problem I had with breaking up single prints into individual components is shrinkage during cure and bloom during printing, on the connectors and the seams. Always give yourself some slop if you're making pegs for joining, and place your cuts somewhere that can be post-processed to cover up things not meeting up as a perfectly flat seam anymore. With that in mind, and probably some lessons learned the hard way along the way, it's pretty straight forward to cut up stonkin' huge prints into more manageable portions.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Hello. On a friend's recommendation, last weekend I bought a Ender 3 S1 Pro as my first printer. Today I learned about the V3 KE and it seems like a direct upgrade in every way. The store I bought from has the K3 for the same price as the S1 Pro, and I'm still within the return window. Is there any reason not to make the long drive back to the store and exchange for the the K3?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The 15 billion variants of the Ender 3 is such a mess, but it seems like it straight up is a newer and better version, so go for it?
The model is like 1.5 years newer, that's quite a bit in 3D-printing years.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

If it’s 189mm on one plane, as long as you can change the orientation of the part you can typically get it to fit by putting the 189mm side diagonal.

It depends a lot on the model and stuff, but I’ve done it successfully.
Entirely plausible, I didn't load up the specific parts to see if they could be oriented in a 180mm cube's volume. Just throwing some examples out.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Well that’s bad then!
Not bad at all, really. You print some test pieces, see how things fit, and adjust settings if/as necessary. It's just part of knowing how to operate a 3D printer - well, more the slicer, really. Learning, and more crucially understanding the software and how various settings relate to the printer's function and output is how you get good at stuff. Most modern printers, even the cheaper ones, have removed a lot of the hardware troubleshooting burden that was disappointingly common even just a year ago. Today it's much easier to have a 3D printing hobby and not a 3D printer hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Hmm so I have a $50 voucher for bambu. Do I order 3 rolls of filament or the .2 nozzle, smooth pei sheet and a single roll of filament for my mini? I have a .6 nozzle already..