Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

blatman posted:

i can grow weed and i can grow fish but how in the world do i grow gently caress???

this has made it clear to me that we’re holding the whole biosphere hostage to loving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

i got bored and did the napkin math

if you assume
- there are 6 billion active cell phones today
- they all cycle 10 watt hours every day
- they all average spending 1% of their time/energy on displaying game ads

that works out to 600MWh of energy consumption per day

now take:
- one single cross-coast flight (jfk<->lax) burns about 75000 liters of jetfuel
- at ~33% efficiency thats 1,000 MWh of energy expended
- there are approximately 50 jfk<->lax flights a day
- there are over 100,000 flights a day in general

all of cell phones electricity on all of earth combined is less than one hundred flights

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
god i wish it was easier to use the trains in the usa

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Scarabrae posted:

A new study that looked at nearly 40 million flights in 2019 was able to calculate the greenhouse gas emissions from air travel for nearly every country on the planet. At 911 million tonnes, the total emissions from aviation are 50 per cent higher the 604 million tonnes reported to the United Nations for that year.

The airline companies 100% are calculating their bullshit “plant a tree” programs to under report their total emissions.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

which search engine was doing that “every search we do we plant a tree” thing? great marketing stuff there

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

toggle posted:

which search engine was doing that “every search we do we plant a tree” thing? great marketing stuff there

Ecosia.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

MightyBigMinus posted:

i got bored and did the napkin math

if you assume
- there are 6 billion active cell phones today
- they all cycle 10 watt hours every day
- they all average spending 1% of their time/energy on displaying game ads

that works out to 600MWh of energy consumption per day

now take:
- one single cross-coast flight (jfk<->lax) burns about 75000 liters of jetfuel
- at ~33% efficiency thats 1,000 MWh of energy expended
- there are approximately 50 jfk<->lax flights a day
- there are over 100,000 flights a day in general

all of cell phones electricity on all of earth combined is less than one hundred flights

nice

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Scarabrae posted:

A new study that looked at nearly 40 million flights in 2019 was able to calculate the greenhouse gas emissions from air travel for nearly every country on the planet. At 911 million tonnes, the total emissions from aviation are 50 per cent higher the 604 million tonnes reported to the United Nations for that year.

Well thank god we've got a carbon credit market that very scientifically and accurately tells us how much carbon is offset by ... someone ... doing something

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Carbon credits are what happens when the omega-level brain geniuses behind poo poo like collateralized debt obligations need to make up a reason why dumping a trillion tons of carbon into the atmosphere won't cause global warming

kater
Nov 16, 2010

we’ve always been at war with ecosia

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

kater posted:

we’ve always been at war with ecosia

Thread title.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

does anyone know how this actually turned out? did they plant the trees? are the trees still alive?

one of my trees got destroyed and i was sad, but it turned out to be because the kangaroos are coming into that area to forage for the first time in years :unsmith: they can have that kurrajong, they earned it

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

does anyone know how this actually turned out? did they plant the trees? are the trees still alive?

one of my trees got destroyed and i was sad, but it turned out to be because the kangaroos are coming into that area to forage for the first time in years :unsmith: they can have that kurrajong, they earned it

They singlehandedly saved the biosphere, so we can all go home.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ecosia-use-profits-to-plant-trees/

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

oh that's nice, at least they're trying

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

ahh love the effort

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

I bought some camellias, pak choi seeds and pruned a privet bush today. Doing my part. :unsmith:

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Loucks posted:

Golf courses.

I often think of George Carlin’s bit about building low-cost housing on the golf courses of America from the late 80s or early 90s. Talking about the acreage of extant golf course at the time he said, “you could build two Rhode Islands and a Delaware for the homeless with the land being wasted on this meaningless, mindless, arrogant, elitist, racist game.”

That was at least 30 years ago. imagine how much land is under golf courses now!

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

I bought some camellias, pak choi seeds and pruned a privet bush today. Doing my part. :unsmith:
keeping a well-watered backyard vegetable garden and not drenching it in pesticide is one of the best things a non-millionaire individual can do for their local ecosystem. plus you can step outside and straight away see all the insects, lizards, birds etc that you're helping. it's a drop in the bucket, but, you know, starfish parable

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

pak choi unf

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

keeping a well-watered backyard vegetable garden and not drenching it in pesticide is one of the best things a non-millionaire individual can do for their local ecosystem. plus you can step outside and straight away see all the insects, lizards, birds etc that you're helping. it's a drop in the bucket, but, you know, starfish parable

That's the one where the invasive seastars destroy the ecosystem, right?

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Car Hater posted:

Pipebomb the cows and collect all their gases at once

Individual pipe per cow or are we talking sewer pipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Pump the gas back into the cow