Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
our humongous out-of-control idiocracy trash piles were real all along, just offshore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Kicked Throat posted:

I've been mainlining these docs the last few weeks. First as tragedy then as jobs training.

Yeah, I don't know why the content that business insider makes is so oddly addicting. It's lib as hell, but they cover these atrocious consequences of capitalism/imperialism/ect. And it's just wild. There's another one about the people who mine sulfur out of the caldera of an active volcano in Indonesia without any PPE, and it's just this immense human tragedy

poo poo sucks lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0WT1HtB-Sc

e: wrong country

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 00:24 on Apr 24, 2024

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Stereotype posted:

Hillary being unable to just loving lie about poo poo is the weirdest thing about her. just say Biden is gonna make it the same as Target, great job Joe. why would you make and then post that depressing pointless graph? the people who care about climate change are going to rightfully be pissed because it flatly says that Biden isn’t gonna stop it and we are gonna create a disastrous hell world, and the people who don’t care are gonna be mad about it regardless because Brandon is Taking Away Our Big Beautiful Burgers. who does she appeal to? it’s like when she was running and people wanted $15 minimum wage and she was like “hmm technically too hard best I can do is $12” and for fucks sake just agree why is she always so stubborn about being Technically correct no one loving cares

Monkey's paw curled a finger when you were young and said you wanted an honest politician

Cup Runneth Over has issued a correction as of 00:54 on Apr 24, 2024

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Look, I just want a good liar, ok? So good I can't tell they're lying

Will no one give me the sweet comfort of lies while I'm dying here?!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Yeah, I don't know why the content that business insider makes is so oddly addicting. It's lib as hell, but they cover these atrocious consequences of capitalism/imperialism/ect. And it's just wild. There's another one about the people who mine sulfur out of the caldera of an active volcano in the Philippines without any PPE, and it's just this immense human tragedy

poo poo sucks lol

lol the loving tourists gently caress

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Hit Man posted:

Look, I just want a good liar, ok? So good I can't tell they're lying

Will no one give me the sweet comfort of lies while I'm dying here?!
No. Now here's the chart explaining how you will die slowly and painfully and there's nothing we will do about it

You will beg us for the sweet release of death

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Stereotype posted:

Hillary being unable to just loving lie about poo poo is the weirdest thing about her. just say Biden is gonna make it the same as Target, great job Joe. why would you make and then post that depressing pointless graph? the people who care about climate change are going to rightfully be pissed because it flatly says that Biden isn’t gonna stop it and we are gonna create a disastrous hell world, and the people who don’t care are gonna be mad about it regardless because Brandon is Taking Away Our Big Beautiful Burgers. who does she appeal to? it’s like when she was running and people wanted $15 minimum wage and she was like “hmm technically too hard best I can do is $12” and for fucks sake just agree why is she always so stubborn about being Technically correct no one loving cares

Actually it rules, and I'm grateful that a politician was unscrupulously honest for once.

me, pointing at the biosphere on fire: IT'S HER TURN

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
nvm

MinutePirateBug has issued a correction as of 03:17 on Apr 24, 2024

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Thinking about the business insider videos from some of those landfills about the people who scavenge those landfills which apparently almost always have at least some small fires going in them

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHiHBuubsDE

this is the saddest thing I’ve seen in my whole life I think

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
nvm just watched the video about the sulfur mines

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Yeah, I don't know why the content that business insider makes is so oddly addicting. It's lib as hell, but they cover these atrocious consequences of capitalism/imperialism/ect. And it's just wild. There's another one about the people who mine sulfur out of the caldera of an active volcano in Indonesia without any PPE, and it's just this immense human tragedy

poo poo sucks lol

e: wrong country

Thinking about the business insider videos from some of those landfills about the people who scavenge those landfills which apparently almost always have at least some small fires going in them

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHiHBuubsDE

"A Radical Manifesto for Fixing the World (Interview with Global Governance Futures), Vinay Gupta" posted:

[Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ty27zTfcRU&t=553s]

[...] You know, the reason why I smile when you say the word "collapse" is because you think it hasn't happened already, right? As I've said to people for many years, collapse means living in the same conditions as the people who grow your coffee. Right? For whom has the world not collapsed? The answer is: rich people.

[...]

From the perspective from almost everybody else in the world, they would change places with us in a metric heartbeat. So, for us, we say: "when will the collapse come?" For everyone else, they've already experienced the collapse. [...]

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
How sustainable are landfills and trash collection in the U.S.?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

err posted:

Modern landfills are well-engineered and managed facilities for the disposal of solid waste. They must meet stringent design, operation, and closure requirements established under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

err posted:

We ship a lot of stuff off to Africa or Southeast Asia to get burned or dumped, especially textiles, plastics, and e-waste, it creates huge cancer hotspots. Cleaner plastics get shipped off to China and Hong Kong since they put bans on the dirtier stuff.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Some blame capitalism, some blame agriculture, well, here's the intersection

80000 hectares defoliated by agent orange dumping in the Pantanal region of Brazil, one of the most biodiverse areas in the world after the amazon

80k hectares is hard to visualize, it's the entire Paris metropolitan area chemically defoliated

The world's being annihilated so guys like this can keep selling that tasty agent orange contaminated beef for profit

He's not even in jail by the way

https://twitter.com/Forests_Finance/status/1782437245116379217

yeah, that'll do it! call the deforestation manager!

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
It really is loving wild how many different ways we are coming up with to destroy the world just in case some of them don't work out.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

bagual posted:

this was a nice crack ping, thank you. they are getting harder and harder to source, but when they do arrive i always treasure them :)

:smith:

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

RandomBlue posted:

gently caress the earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huz14h_ueik

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

It really is loving wild how many different ways we are coming up with to destroy the world just in case some of them don't work out.

Thought experiment: if climate change wasn't a thing, what would be the first other loving-the-earth activity to bring about global collapse?

I'm thinking insect apocalypse undoing ecosystems and collapsing agriculture.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Microplastics posted:

Thought experiment: if climate change wasn't a thing, what would be the first other loving-the-earth activity to bring about global collapse?

That book I read recently - "The End of the World is Just the Beginning" - barely mentions climate change and focuses on demographic collapse.

There's also the collapse of our political system (s) into fascism.

Those are not directly loving the Earth like microplastics and pesticides, but all these things are inter-related and propel each other. That's the greater meta-crisis or omni-crisis or whatever you want to call it.

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023
https://x.com/quendergeer/status/1782799512752333043

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Microplastics posted:

Topsoil erosion. We'll be out of topsoil by 2050 and it takes one thousand years to replenish 3cm. We could direct-air capture or sulfate spray our way into a climate solution and still have a 90%+ population die-off before the end of the century cause we can't grow any loving food. For the food we do manage to grow in some rare areas or hydroponic greenhouses or whatever, we'll have a hard time trucking them around with the constant dustbowls, too.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

bagual posted:

80000 hectares defoliated by agent orange dumping in the Pantanal region of Brazil, one of the most biodiverse areas in the world after the amazon

80k hectares is hard to visualize, it's the entire Paris metropolitan area chemically defoliated

The world's being annihilated so guys like this can keep selling that tasty agent orange contaminated beef for profit

:thermidor:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Fragments of bird flu virus genome found in pasteurized milk, FDA says

The test cannot tell if the virus is live. FDA still considers milk supply safe.

https://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2024/04/fda-finds-genetic-traces-of-bird-flu-virus-in-pasteurized-milk/

H5N1 made its startling jump to US dairy cows recently, with the first-ever documented cases in a Texas herd confirmed on March 25. It has spread widely since then with at least 32 herds in eight states now known to be infected.

lol

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

toggle posted:

this was a nice crack ping, thank you. they are getting harder and harder to source, but when they do arrive i always treasure them :)

:smith:

Satellite timelapse, 2016-2022 is straight up nightmare fuel, it's pretty amazing. Though the real crack ping is zooming out a bit. This specific guy just had to go with extreme cartoonish polluting, but it's obviously a generalized land clearing process.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

bagual posted:

This is remarkable, do you have any news stories on this in English?

Actuary X posted:

That book I read recently - "The End of the World is Just the Beginning" - barely mentions climate change and focuses on demographic collapse.

Those are not directly loving the Earth like microplastics and pesticides, but all these things are inter-related and propel each other. That's the greater meta-crisis or omni-crisis or whatever you want to call it.

The Elite call it the polycrisis.

Most historians call it decline.

We should really be calling it collapse.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Microplastics posted:

Plastic. If we hypothetically suppose a world where the general temperature of the earth is independent of the natural and human cycles of activity etc., then we'd poison ourselves to death with microplastics.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

https://x.com/EliotJacobson/status/1783151323736609047

please stop sending me these graphs

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Actuary X posted:

lol demographic collapse, fascism, those are loving baby toddler crises

lot of hand wringing from the elite about their own slide into obsolescence and not enough about how we're not going to be able to grow food in a hundred years

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

does anyone have a version of this graph that doesnt da capo

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Topsoil erosion. We'll be out of topsoil by 2050 and it takes one thousand years to replenish 3cm. We could direct-air capture or sulfate spray our way into a climate solution and still have a 90%+ population die-off before the end of the century cause we can't grow any loving food. For the food we do manage to grow in some rare areas or hydroponic greenhouses or whatever, we'll have a hard time trucking them around with the constant dustbowls, too.

It takes one thousand years to replenish 3cm if we don't do anything. We have techniques that, if we chose to actually implement, can regenerate topsoil by 1cm per year :eng101:

So yeah it'll take us one thousand years to replenish 3cms :eng99:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Even at 1cm per year... lol

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
the soil got washed into the oceans. we filled the aquifers with saltwater. the air is full of plastic. check out all the flavors of potato chip you can buy, though

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
I wonder what percentage of existing plastic and pfas and tyres and so on has broken down to micro/nanoplastics so far. It must be less than 0.1% right? So much plastic yet to be released into its natural habitat (everywhere)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

hahaha praise number

praise death

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

SixteenShells posted:

the soil got washed into the oceans. we filled the aquifers with saltwater. the air is full of plastic. check out all the flavors of potato chip you can buy, though
there's some pretty crazy ones

i saw doritos flamin' hot ranch a few days ago. how do they do that??? wild

you can get big M&Ms now too

a golden age we live in

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i had a real moment of clarity on the train this morning, about how many civilizations have felt immortal to the people living in them

while we look back and think "how could they have expected that to last forever??"

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

SixteenShells posted:

They even have [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] flavor. I don't know why you'd want to eat chips that taste like someone's nards, but they exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

how big of an m&m we talkin