Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
in america, you get to choose whether you want the arsenic in your municipal water to also contain lead, or not.

hahaha no you don't it's a dice roll

e: also people are so brain poisoned to think ideas about fluoride are nutty that most people probably won't even believe that's real research. we live in absolute clown world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Fragments of bird flu virus genome found in pasteurized milk, FDA says

The test cannot tell if the virus is live. FDA still considers milk supply safe.

https://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2024/04/fda-finds-genetic-traces-of-bird-flu-virus-in-pasteurized-milk/

H5N1 made its startling jump to US dairy cows recently, with the first-ever documented cases in a Texas herd confirmed on March 25. It has spread widely since then with at least 32 herds in eight states now known to be infected.

lol

burying the lede here, the USDA just found bird flu residue in 38% of milk that's already on the shelves presently, then in a panic immediately instituted mandatory testing of all interstate cow movement now that the cows have quite literally left the barn door

50% death rate on infection, whenever one of our lapses ends up mattering, or whenever it finds any vector to adapt to that it likes

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Reminder that when we "fluoridate" water, this does not mean that we add pharamceutical grade sodium fluroide to the water, but rather, that we add hexafluorosilicic acid in most cases, which is a byproduct of mostly Chinese alumimum manufactur that they sell us as a waste slurry and which is often added to water without much testing.

Some fun reading for anyone on municipal water

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4090869/

https://www.cdc.gov/fluoridation/pdf/urbansky_schock.pdf

Don't worry though the EPA says it's a "moderate/low" risk :allears:

https://www.epa.gov/system/files/documents/2023-03/Fluorosilicic%20Acid%20Supply%20Chain%20Profile.pdf

are you loving telling me that the wackos worried about the flouride in the water were right all along?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i had a real moment of clarity on the train this morning, about how many civilizations have felt immortal to the people living in them

while we look back and think "how could they have expected that to last forever??"

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Scarabrae posted:

are you loving telling me that the wackos worried about the flouride in the water were right all along?
I think it's a mix of a broken clock being right sometimes, and also putting stuff in the water supply in general should be something that causes some skepticism :raise: and then also even if the data is there (which I don't think it is, in this case) you shouldn't also poison the water with other poo poo because it's cheap/profitable to do so.

I grew up with unfluoridated water, and took supplementary pills at the 1980s dose levels, and now have some spots and stains on my teeth as a result because that's the normal end result of a bit too much fluoride. Other than that as far as I know it hasn't caused me any problems (granted, I can't see my skeleton and I've never had it surgically examined). Dose levels have been reduced 50% or more since then.
Pharmaceutical fluoride is comparable to ground water fluoride but harder to compare to the slurry of crap that passes for municipal fluoridation most places.

AFACIT there's reasonable evidence that for a real limited developmental period, mild fluoride intake is associated with long term better dental outcomes, but that it's not, to me, a compelling reason to put it in the overall water supply and it's definitely not a good reason to put heavy-metal containing fluoridated compounds into the water supply. Of course all sorts of bottled beverages and prepared food products are made using the same water :nsa:

All in all it seems like a case of a bit of maybe good science being overblown, perverted for profit, and then championed by successive generations of medical & dental people who don't know anything about where the fluoride in water actually comes from and would find all this horrifying if they didn't outright reject the idea. The trace metals in the teeth that statistically reduce tooth loss, may be fine; the greed and lack of oversight around all around it for 60-70 years has not been fine. It's the same old refrain.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Actuary X posted:

Mosquitoes and ticks will never go extinct.

Sorry about everything else though.

So you are saying that the ticks will feed from the mosquito?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Actuary X posted:

Mosquitoes and ticks will never go extinct.

Sorry about everything else though.

This is good for the mosquitoburger industry

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Xaris posted:

i'm just very weary of tiresome liberal "heh, did you know Rome didn't collapse overnight??? it took 1000 years! GDP keeps going up for now, things are fine doomer" types. as if it's some great insight that no one else knows rome didn't just disappear overnight that only they do. americans have particularly feeble malformed brains and think the naughty C-word has to mean an instantaneous event -- a precisely zero-time step binary on/off switch. so i use the d-word instead depending on audience

there's some historyisms that i think have been particularly brain damaging: rome, we fixed da ozone hole, and that stupid rear end dumb fake-plato quote about kids ruining society and disrepecting their elders.

thats our caveman logic. Everything is one of only two choices most of us can conceive.

"Carbon content was this high in the atmosphere 2,000,000 years ago, therefore it's normal :smug:"

"I've been hearing for 20 years that Florida will suddenly flip from above water to under water and it's still mostly above water"

"You've been saying for years crops will be failing and we are still growing corn"

"You said Carbon was bad but plants need it, therefore it is actually good"

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Reminder that when we "fluoridate" water, this does not mean that we add pharamceutical grade sodium fluroide to the water, but rather, that we add hexafluorosilicic acid in most cases, which is a byproduct of mostly Chinese alumimum manufactur that they sell us as a waste slurry and which is often added to water without much testing.

Some fun reading for anyone on municipal water

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4090869/

https://www.cdc.gov/fluoridation/pdf/urbansky_schock.pdf

Don't worry though the EPA says it's a "moderate/low" risk :allears:

https://www.epa.gov/system/files/documents/2023-03/Fluorosilicic%20Acid%20Supply%20Chain%20Profile.pdf

why is it always slurries and pastes slurries and pastes

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

kater posted:

why is it always slurries and pastes slurries and pastes

because powders make dust which spreads the poison

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Scarabrae posted:

:colbert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J67wKhddWu4

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Scarabrae posted:

I think it's a mix of a broken clock being right sometimes, and also putting stuff in the water supply in general should be something that causes some skepticism :raise: and then also even if the data is there (which I don't think it is, in this case) you shouldn't also poison the water with other poo poo because it's cheap/profitable to do so.

I grew up with unfluoridated water, and took supplementary pills at the 1980s dose levels, and now have some spots and stains on my teeth as a result because that's the normal end result of a bit too much fluoride. Other than that as far as I know it hasn't caused me any problems (granted, I can't see my skeleton and I've never had it surgically examined). Dose levels have been reduced 50% or more since then.
Pharmaceutical fluoride is comparable to ground water fluoride but harder to compare to the slurry of crap that passes for municipal fluoridation most places.

AFACIT there's reasonable evidence that for a real limited developmental period, mild fluoride intake is associated with long term better dental outcomes, but that it's not, to me, a compelling reason to put it in the overall water supply and it's definitely not a good reason to put heavy-metal containing fluoridated compounds into the water supply. Of course all sorts of bottled beverages and prepared food products are made using the same water :nsa:

All in all it seems like a case of a bit of maybe good science being overblown, perverted for profit, and then championed by successive generations of medical & dental people who don't know anything about where the fluoride in water actually comes from and would find all this horrifying if they didn't outright reject the idea. The trace metals in the teeth that statistically reduce tooth loss, may be fine; the greed and lack of oversight around all around it for 60-70 years has not been fine. It's the same old refrain.

It's also sort of like how chem-trails are actually real if you look at it in the right light.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_LAC

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

lol i love this gay earth

Here's the original paper btw: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-024-07219-0

-

Fig. 1: The commitment and divergence of economic climate damages versus mitigation costs.

Estimates of the projected reduction in income per capita from changes in all climate variables based on empirical models of climate impacts on economic output with a robust lower bound on their persistence (Extended Data Fig. 1) under a low-emission scenario compatible with the 2 °C warming target and a high-emission scenario (SSP2-RCP2.6 and SSP5-RCP8.5, respectively) are shown in purple and orange, respectively. Shading represents the 34% and 10% confidence intervals reflecting the likely and very likely ranges, respectively (following the likelihood classification adopted by the IPCC), having estimated uncertainty from a Monte Carlo procedure, which samples the uncertainty from the choice of physical climate models, empirical models with different numbers of lags and bootstrapped estimates of the regression parameters shown in Supplementary Figs. 1–3. Vertical dashed lines show the time at which the climate damages of the two emission scenarios diverge at the 5% and 1% significance levels based on the distribution of differences between emission scenarios arising from the uncertainty sampling discussed above. Note that uncertainty in the difference of the two scenarios is smaller than the combined uncertainty of the two respective scenarios because samples of the uncertainty (climate model and empirical model choice, as well as model parameter bootstrap) are consistent across the two emission scenarios, hence the divergence of damages occurs while the uncertainty bounds of the two separate damage scenarios still overlap. Estimates of global mitigation costs from the three IAMs that provide results for the SSP2 baseline and SSP2-RCP2.6 scenario are shown in light green in the top panel, with the median of these estimates shown in bold.

-
Fig. 2: The committed economic damages of climate change by sub-national region and climatic component.

Estimates of the median projected reduction in sub-national income per capita across emission scenarios (SSP2-RCP2.6 and SSP2-RCP8.5) as well as climate model, empirical model and model parameter uncertainty in the year in which climate damages diverge at the 5% level (2049, as identified in Fig. 1). a, Impacts arising from all climate variables. b–f, Impacts arising separately from changes in annual mean temperature (b), daily temperature variability (c), total annual precipitation (d), the annual number of wet days (>1 mm) (e) and extreme daily rainfall (f) (see Methods for further definitions). Data on national administrative boundaries are obtained from the GADM database version 3.6 and are freely available for academic use (https://gadm.org/).

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 15:13 on Apr 25, 2024

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

there's some pretty crazy ones

i saw doritos flamin' hot ranch a few days ago. how do they do that??? wild

you can get big M&Ms now too

a golden age we live in

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Doritos flamin' hot ranch off the shoulder of I-90. I watched M&Ms glitter in the dark near a Golden Arches drive-thru. All these moments will be lost in the collapse, like tears in a cat 6. Time to die.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
timely new video, thread was just talking about this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK1BfPw7lnQ

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

climate change... bad??

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

oh no! not the economy!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Now it's personal

*economy cracks knuckles, goes into recession*

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Have we tried turning the air conditioners around and pumping the cold air outside????

kater
Nov 16, 2010

err posted:

timely new video, thread was just talking about this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK1BfPw7lnQ

alarmingly calm must not be important

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

Have we tried turning the air conditioners around and pumping the cold air outside????

it's called a heat pump, and it does exactly this. mine is running right now. you're welcome

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Scarabrae posted:

the beauty of neoliberalism is that every anti-government conspiracy theory is going to be right eventually

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

lol

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
you see, we use the heat pumps to concentrate all the heat into a dense piece of stone, which we then launch to the moon

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SixteenShells posted:

you see, we use the heat pumps to concentrate all the heat into a dense piece of stone, which we then launch to the moon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_cooling

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Let’s build the largest cryo-arithmetic engine and solve this bad boy once and for all.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
What if we were the cryo-arithmetic engine all along

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

chaos

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

we don't need to cool the world idiots, check the thread title

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZOkLMXXax4

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
There will be no dealing with the collapse in any productive way.

https://apple.news/AYx1sZydtTTiHkTdhVg37cw

The Times posted:

Exposed: the ‘illegal school’ teaching children conspiracy theories
At a grimy former nightclub pupils are told how to survive a ‘plot against humanity’. This is what our undercover reporter saw

In a community centre in Stockport a group of children stand holding hands in a circle with their eyes tightly shut. On the floor in front of them is a collection of crystal pyramids. “It might get a bit warm,” says their teacher, a self-styled shaman called Phil, who tells his students that the rocks can transmit energy into their bodies. “If you’ve got any injuries they might soon go away. These might start healing you.” It is 2.30pm on a Tuesday in January and these children should be in school. Unfortunately, however, they are in school.
For nearly a month I worked undercover as a teacher at Universallkidz, a suspected illegal school in Greater Manchester, alongside colleagues who believed that the dinosaurs never existed and viruses are not real; that aircraft vapours in the sky cause dementia and crystals could cure serious illness; and, most concerning of all, that the government was, in league with organisations such as the World Economic Forum (WEF) and wealthy businessmen, covertly attempting to depopulate and enslave the world — a conspiracy known as the “great reset theory”.
If schools like Eton and Winchester were established to educate the future administrators of state, Universallkidz was set up with the very opposite purpose: it is a training ground for the resistance movement, where children are instructed in foraging, self-defence and natural remedies to survive and defy this supposed plot against humanity. “They won’t have to be woken up because they’ve never been asleep,” as one teacher, called Red, put it to me. “They’ll know how to find their own medicine, find their own food when the s*** hits the fan. Because they are going to force a famine on us. Look at what they have been doing with farming. They are going to force a famine on us and we will be eating each other.”

The children, aged between eight and 14, are not taught the national curriculum. Instead they are taught a bespoke course that pays scant regard to facts and peddles misinformation and quackery. I saw them being taught that their bodies were made up of energy that ebbed and flowed according to whether or not they were telling the truth. In a history lesson, I saw the children being told by their teacher, Justine, that they would one day be eating cockroaches if “Klaus [Schwab, head of the WEF] and [Bill] Gates have their way … That’s why we’ve had I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here for X amount of years, to get us all into it. Isn’t it? So it doesn’t look as mad when they say ‘right, it’s time you all start eating cockroach’.” They were also taught about Anne Frank’s diaries by Justine, who questioned their veracity, repeating — in a conversation with another teacher — a common antisemitic conspiracy.
Classes were held in a tumbledown Victorian mansion, which had until recently been a nightclub. In the hallway, leaflets were left lying around that stated that Covid-19 vaccines, climate science and 5G were all means by which the government is trying to subjugate the population. The leaflets concluded: “Resist! Defy! Do not comply!”

Parents taught to lie
Universallkidz goes to great lengths to conceal its activities. On its website, it describes itself as a provider of “holistic alternative education” that seeks to raise “autonomous” and “sovereign” young people. To education officials who might come asking questions, it presents as a support for home schooling parents. But to insiders, those members of the “awake” community for whom it serves, it is a school operating independently from any government bodies.
The school was set up more than three years ago by Ladan Ratcliffe, 60, a former teacher, and has since operated under the radar of local authorities and Ofsted, the schools inspectorate. In response to the Times findings, Ofsted has started an urgent investigation into Universallkidz.

Illegal schools — defined as institutions providing full-time education that are not registered with the Department for Education — often exploit the fact that there is very little oversight of home-schooled children under present legislation.
All children who attend Universallkidz are technically home schooled. Ratcliffe told me that she helps parents to remove their children from mainstream state education and then encourages them to lie to local authorities by claiming that their children are being home educated while in fact sending them to Universallkidz. Parents pay £30 a day for tuition.

Ofsted set up a task force in 2016 in response to growing concerns about the proliferation of illegal schools. Until that point inspectors had believed there were only 24 illegal schools; today there are thought to be hundreds. The vast majority of institutions prosecuted by Ofsted are religious schools that cater for ultra-orthodox Jewish and Muslim communities.
But in recent years inspectors have found a growing number of non-religious schools set up by people radicalised during the Covid-19 pandemic into an anti-state, and sometimes conspiratorial, ideology.
At the same time the number of home-schooled children has increased rapidly, from 60,000 in 2018 to 86,000 in 2023, according to most recent figures published by the government.
Last year The Times exposed another suspected illegal school, set up in Sussex three years ago by anti-vaccine activists and former members of the far right.
The reason for the rapid growth in the number of these schools is partly down to the weakness of legislation. Ofsted inspectors do not have the power to force their way onto the premises of suspected illegal schools or seize incriminating materials. There is no register for home schooled children in England.
Imprecise wording of the legislation lends itself to exploitation, allowing schools to operate on the cusp of the law. For an institution to be deemed a illegal, it must be providing “full-time education” to five or more children or to one or more children who had special educational needs support while in mainstream schooling.

There is, however, no specific definition of “full-time education”, other than it being “all or substantially all of a child’s education”, which means that to prosecute Ofsted inspectors need to be able to show that the children are receiving the majority of their education in that place.
Hundreds of unregistered schools
Universallkidz had 13 pupils when I was there, although Ratcliffe told me it had previously had as many as 28. The school operates four days a week from 10am to 3.30pm. Not all the children go every day, but most go at least three days a week. Four go four days a week, including two of the children with special educational needs. Universallkidz operates out of a Stockport council-owned community centre room one day a week and from a former nightclub in Rusholme two days a week. For one day lessons are online.
Sir Martyn Oliver, Ofsted’s chief inspector, described the findings as “highly alarming, but sadly not surprising”.
“Over the last eight years, we have found hundreds of unregistered schools, operating in unsafe premises, led by unsuitable people, teaching children very little. We are urgently investigating this shocking case, but weaknesses in the current legal system continue to hamper our efforts to deal with unregistered schools.
“The 2022 Schools Bill would have given us additional powers to investigate and close down illegal schools, but that legislation was dropped. Without those powers, I remain concerned that thousands of children across England are still attending illegal schools.”

Bridget Phillipson, the shadow education secretary, said it is “frankly shocking that this school has been operating with impunity for so long and poisoning the minds of these young people”. She said that a Labour government would legislate without delay for a register of children not in school.
A spokeswoman for the Department for Education said it remained “committed to improving powers to investigate and take action against these schools”.
Asked to comment on the Times investigation, Ratcliffe denied that Universallkidz was a school, claiming that it “only operates around 11 hours a week”, and described it instead as “a parent-child community initiative”.
She denied that Universallkidz was training conspiracy theorists of the future, saying that “the learning experiences we provide are based on natural law of the universe and ancient knowledge that has been omitted from mainstream education”.
How I found them
Every Friday a group of middle-aged men with yellow placards gather on the street corner next to my flat in Manchester, telling anyone who will listen that the pandemic was a scam and vaccines killed people. They also hand out copies of The Light, a conspiracies-based publication. Occasionally I would pick one up to learn about the latest deranged theories. One day at the end of last year I noticed among the classified adverts that a qualified teacher was being sought for an unnamed “self-governing small community learning provision”. Reasoning that no credible educator could be looking for staff among the readership of The Light, I decided to apply.
Ratcliffe is a former teacher who worked in state education around Greater Manchester for more than 20 years before moving to China in 2016 to run an international school with her husband. She moved back to Britain in 2019 and set up Universallkidz in October 2020. The idea came to her at an anti-lockdown rally.
During the interviews I had for the role, Ratcliffe, who goes by the name “Ladan Universall”, told me that the purpose of the school was to “de-indoctrinate” pupils from “all the lies” that they are taught by “the system”. Aside from GCSE maths, which some of the older children were studying for, the school does not in any way engage with the national curriculum. Broadly, much of what is taught at the school falls into the category of what might be described as New Age, with classes including sacred drumming, moon cycles and homeopathy.

I was asked to teach the children the basic principles of traditional Chinese medicine and philosophy. These concepts are thousands of years old and remain a popular alternative medical practice. However, many of their core principles are without scientific basis. As part of the lessons in which the children were supposedly learning science, I was told to teach that humans are made of energy that flows between the organs along channels called meridians.
In another lesson, in which I was working alongside a teacher called Leyli, she taught the children that our energy is linked to the subconscious and that when we lie our energy stops flowing momentarily. To demonstrate this, Leyli asked me to stretch out my arm and say “I am Tom” while she applied downward force on my hand. My arm dropped an inch. She then asked me to say “I am Maggie” and pressed down again. This time though, she pushed much harder and my arm dropped three inches. The children were not fooled. One protested: “But you pushed harder the second time!”
‘I’m a dunce’
The marriage of New Age thinking with conspiracist ideation may seem an unlikely union, but the phenomenon — known as “conspirituality” — is now among the largest and most fertile subsects of the conspiracy movement. Finding common ground in a mutual distrust of mainstream ideas and politics, the convergence of the two groups was accelerated by vaccine scepticism during the pandemic with the search for alternative remedies becoming an entry point into the world of conspiracy for many New Agers.

Those I worked with at the school, as well as the parents who send their children there, came from a diverse range of backgrounds. The business studies teacher, Lyndon Farrington, runs a cryptocurrency firm that specifically caters for conspiracists who fear their money may be liable to state seizure. The philosophy teacher, Brian Lomas, who told me you could cure cancer by eating apricot kernels, is a squash coach. During lunch breaks, teachers would sit and discuss the latest theories they had come across. “What do you think about us living in a simulation?” Farrington posed one afternoon. “Have you been down that rabbit hole? … Too many coincidences. When you start looking into it, when you start thinking about it. You go and buy a blue Ford Escort and then every second car you see is a blue Ford Escort.”
The art teacher, whom I knew only as Red, had been a French teacher at a girls’ school in Stockport. She was one of the only teachers who was able to control a class and the children seemed to get something out of her lessons. But as I was beginning to wonder whether she had somehow found herself at the school by mistake, she mentioned to me offhand that she had seen “chemtrails” in the sky that morning, before proceeding to explain how condensation left in the sky by aeroplanes was in fact an aluminium vapour spread by the government to give people dementia.

Ofsted requires all teachers at registered schools to have proof of an up-to-date criminal record check, known as a DBS check. Being unregistered, there is no obligation upon Universallkidz. When asked for comment, Ratcliffe said that she had “copies of every facilitator and volunteer’s DBS checks” but declined to provide them, citing data protection. However, Leyli, who has worked at the school since it opened three years ago, told me that she did not have one.
There were other potential safety concerns too. In the warmer months, Lomas took the children for foraging lessons. He told me that on one occasion he had shown them hemlock, a highly poisonous plant, growing beside a river. He said that he had become interested in foraging when he found himself camping without food during an anti-lockdown march to London.
Teachers themselves raised concerns about the school. For two days a week the children were taught at a privately owned dilapidated Victorian house, whose owners, I was told by Ratcliffe, were “very awake”. Until recently it had been a nightclub, and was described by one eulogist as “proper manky”. Rainwater dripped from the ceiling and the bathroom was covered in graffiti. During break times, the children were given the run of the place. I once overheard Justine say to another teacher that there were “hazards everywhere”.
“You never know what you might find there,” she added.

During one lunchtime discussion between some of the teachers, Lomas gave a fascinating insight into conspiracists’ aversion to facts and reason by saying that one of his favourite figures from history was John Duns Scotus, from whose name derives the word “dunce”. Duns Scotus was a 13th-century Catholic theologian whose complex arguments about the existence of God later came to be scorned by humanist thinkers. “Knowledge was intuitive for Duns,” Lomas said. “He said that true knowledge is that which is revealed to us by God. Revelation through intuition. But at the same time you’ve got the rise of modern science and it came to be an insult, to mean stupid. So I say, I’m bringing Duns back. I’m a dunce.”

Ratcliffe repeatedly told me that mainstream schooling sapped the life out of children, turning them into weak-willed and compliant adults. Universallkidz, by contrast, is “pupil-led” and puts the enjoyment of the child at the centre of its ethos, she said. But from what I saw, the children rarely seemed to enjoy what they were doing. They were often nonplussed by the lessons and would sometimes question their purpose. When Phil asked the children what they could see and feel when they put a crystal to their “third eye”, one girl responded: “I can feel a crystal on my forehead.” His reply was telling: “Don’t be clever.”

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
https://twitter.com/janevandis/status/1783631812041793674

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

:hai: better get rid of some regulations before its to late

kater
Nov 16, 2010

going to forage through the apocalypse on goddamn mother loving England

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro