Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Another question, can you still play cards exiled by Brainstealer Dragon once the dragon has left play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Real life drafts are $25-27 now, holy poo poo.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Deestroy targeet Creeature

*noon-black

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

AcidCat posted:

Another question, can you still play cards exiled by Brainstealer Dragon once the dragon has left play?

Yes, the playability is granted by the exiling effect rather than coming from a static ability on the dragon. Compare that card's wording to Nightveil Specter, for example, which does not allow you to do so.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Steely Glint posted:

Yes, the playability is granted by the exiling effect rather than coming from a static ability on the dragon. Compare that card's wording to Nightveil Specter, for example, which does not allow you to do so.

And then using counters like Dauthi is kind of the combination. You still require a Dauthi to have access to those cards, but it doesn't have to be the one that did it.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

Holy crap, I know it's been a lotta years since I last drafted but I feel like the original mh draft was that expensive?

Crazy that that's for standard

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

Ours are $22 and give $1-$3 per person in store credit for 2-1, 2-0-1, or 3-0

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
how much is just buying three packs off the shelf these days

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

flatluigi posted:

how much is just buying three packs off the shelf these days

I'm in Canada, but there are packs for $7, $12, $30 and $100. Some have 12 cards, others 15.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
oh i meant in terms of buying packs vs 'having a draft,' idk how much overhead the lgs adds because i don't play in paper and don't know how much a draft pack of outlaws of thunder junction would cost

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

draft packs dont exist anymore. they're play packs :eng101:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

usually the draft cost also includes a portion of the prize support cost

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Steely Glint posted:

This is interesting, and honestly unintuitive, I was sure the dragon granted the ability, and since it was gone, where would that ability come from?

A follow up similar question, now I think weve been playing wrong, Sludge Monster, if he died we figured the slime counter did nothing, since it was the creatures ability that gave the counter meaning. Same situation?

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Ok I think I may have figured it out, its the difference between an activated/triggered ability which will persist and a passive one granted by a permanent that goes away once its out of play. Whew.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Then for a fun one: banishing light and cards like it have a triggered ability that exiles a card, but the clause on the card that puts the exiled card back into play is just a generic "effect". It doesn't use the stack and can't be responded to. The card just goes back into play.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I dont get it, use a play example.Banishing light seems very straightforward.

AcidCat fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 3, 2024

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Extra fun: If someone uses a farewell with all modes to exile a banishing light then a creature under it will get freed.

If instead it was a glass casket holding a creature then that creature will also end up exiled, because farewell goes artifacts->creatures->enchantments->graveyards, in that order.

^^ ya this is kind of an example. Since it doesn't use the stack at all, the effect works even in the middle of resolving a spell.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Again that seems the normal intuitive play of banishing light, it leaves and the creature comes back? Im tired and half drunk and no idea what u mean, so I am going to bed lol.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Jabor posted:

Still pennies on cardmarket (and it was cheap on tcgplayer last week), so I'd guess some American mtgfinance dumbass. Either that or someone has a soul read on some new format-breaking combo, but dumbshittery is far more likely.

FWIW, it is a pretty unique effect.

ok i found the actual answer and its stupid even for mtgfinance standards

people are speculating on eon hub as a means to combat Loot, the Key to Everything and Obeka, Splitter of Seconds

:negative:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
let's gooooooooo
https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1786199047558037558

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

It's the snuff out promo, right?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Hell yeah i love that manga, i cant wait to not be able to buy it cause someone thinks the card will be a billion dollars in 10 years

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I know right, what the hell would someone want with a promotional card given away with a book?

Hold on, there's someone on the other line

mana crypt is worth how much?!

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
This is the Scryfall link for the promos from the Japanese volumes

https://scryfall.com/search?q=s:pme...r&unique=prints

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah they're nothing like the Mana Crypt book thing, but a couple of them still have some good value like Culling the Weak and Snuff Out.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Glad to see the Manga finally getting translated, the promos are cool but I hope it doesn't end up in something stupid like the manga not being available on release because card chasers bought it only for the promo. I wanna read this series!

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I usually buy comics digitally, but I guess I might buy the physical version just for the promo card.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

You guys usually have great answers so heres another question, Mindbreaker Trap. Mythic rare so this card should be pretty powerful, but I dont get the timing issue, if an opponent cast multiple spells on a turn, say a creature then something else, wouldnt at least the first one resolve before you play this? It seems designed to counter multiple spells but Im not sure how this works in practice.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AcidCat posted:

You guys usually have great answers so heres another question, Mindbreaker Trap. Mythic rare so this card should be pretty powerful, but I dont get the timing issue, if an opponent cast multiple spells on a turn, say a creature then something else, wouldnt at least the first one resolve before you play this? It seems designed to counter multiple spells but Im not sure how this works in practice.

It’s meant to counter Storm effects most specifically, a spell type that makes anywhere from 3 to a dozen copies of itself when cast. Look up Grapeshot.

E: It can also ding Cascade spells too, which may have been part of the intent of the card for when it was released.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

also note that it can be extremely good even if it's only getting one spell - it's a potentially genuinely entirely free "counterspell" that exiles instead of actually counterspelling and thus can deal with some stuff regular stack interaction can't + doesn't generally allow any possibility of recursion

and, while it wasn't the intended purpose of the card, you can also get some wild stacks going in competitive EDH, since the nature of the format pushes people towards both combo wins and the sort of interaction necessary to stop your opponents from winning via combos and you've got twice as many players getting in on the action as usual

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Mindbreak can work against greedy decks looking to land a big permanent in one turn with accelerants like ritual/petal as well if they go too hard in one turn. Typically I've found its easy to play around for decks like doomsday but storm can get caught out. Once, after that they play around it even if it isn't in your 75

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

AcidCat posted:

It's for taking down storm and "uncounterable" payoffs by both exiling and allowing any number.
Prior to OTJ it had no reprints

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i mean.. is this going to be available in america or just japan?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Strong Sauce posted:

i mean.. is this going to be available in america or just japan?

It's already available in Japan, this is the announcement of the English translation and us release.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

It's for taking down storm and "uncounterable" payoffs by both exiling and allowing any number.
Prior to OTJ it had no reprints

And Breach.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Aphrodite posted:

And Breach.

I would not suggest this

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

I would not suggest this

I think exiling LED or Brain Freeze on the stack when they're about to loop using Breach is a great plan, personally

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Toph Bei Fong posted:

or Brain Freeze on the stack when they're about to loop using Breach is a great plan, personally
Yes, someone already mentioned that

HootTheOwl posted:

It's for taking down storm
But

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I think exiling LED
It's not a good plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not to exile Breach itself. I meant it's useful against the Breach archetype, but yeah that's Storm.

Using it on LED is a bad idea because the average Breach deck has at least two more ways to loop up enough Brain Freezes, and LED will only ever be on the stack alone so you wouldn't be hitting anything else with it.