Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Sell your expensive merfolk while you can get top dollar for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

top 8'd a premodern with mono black contagion. format continues to rule. big east coast event in boston called lobstercon coming up in september, registration opens this weekend

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

double post: just sold my last remaining beta lord of atlantis and now this. im in shambles

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

double post: just sold my last remaining beta lord of atlantis and now this. im in shambles

lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

man I really need to sell my collection before the value of it tanks from being power crept by mh3

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

kalel posted:

man I really need to sell my collection before the value of it tanks from being power crept by mh3

same

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

rickiep00h posted:

Deck
4 Zoyowa Lava-Tongue (LCI) 245
4 Charming Scoundrel (WOE) 124
3 Stalactite Stalker (LCI) 122
4 Forsaken Miner (OTJ) 88
3 Vein Ripper (MKM) 110
4 Reckless Lackey (OTJ) 140
4 Vial Smasher, Gleeful Grenadier (OTJ) 235

4 Play with Fire (MID) 154
2 Mourner's Surprise (OTJ) 94
4 Prickly Pair (OTJ) 137

4 Blackcleave Cliffs (ONE) 248
4 Jagged Barrens (OTJ) 259
1 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance (NEO) 276
1 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire (NEO) 278
7 Mountain (UND) 94
7 Swamp (UND) 92

Not even close to optimized as I threw it together in about ten minutes and didn't spend any WCs for rares. I played I think 4 unranked games and lost 3.

Cut mourners surprise for 2 At Knifepoint and maybe find room for a one-of Jasper Flint and baby you got a stew goin

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

kalel posted:

The commanders got spoiled, too, and the Jund one makes Tarmogoyf tokens.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think I hate that Magic is on a two year schedule of power creep now

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Karsten posted the breakdown of Standard decks for this weekend, decklists will be available after round 4 tomorrow.
https://magic.gg/news/pro-tour-thunder-junction-standard-metagame-breakdown

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

GonSmithe posted:

Karsten posted the breakdown of Standard decks for this weekend, decklists will be available after round 4 tomorrow.
https://magic.gg/news/pro-tour-thunder-junction-standard-metagame-breakdown

Yet another cycle of Esper Midrange. Love this "Use your newest cards!" format. Almost six more months of this poo poo.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

rickiep00h posted:

Yet another cycle of Esper Midrange. Love this "Use your newest cards!" format. Almost six more months of this poo poo.

First tournament is always incredibly "safe" and built towards winning that environment specifically and not necessarily "this is the best deck so everyone is playing it."
Not saying Esper isn't good, but like 6 of the decks on that list are new decks using new cards.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

GonSmithe posted:

First tournament is always incredibly "safe" and built towards winning that environment specifically and not necessarily "this is the best deck so everyone is playing it."
Not saying Esper isn't good, but like 6 of the decks on that list are new decks using new cards.

I do appreciate and loathe Boros being 2nd most popular.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

rickiep00h posted:

People who actually play standard instead of responding to .jpgs seem to enjoy it lol. I think the format kicks rear end.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sad not to see crimes.dec in that list.

Standard is great at the moment, loads of deck variety and esper raffine isn't that annoying to play against (as long as you remember to play around The Wandering Emperor) - it plays creatures and stuff. If the best deck was the Analyst deck or something it would be way worse*

*I can't imagine playing it myself, must be so tedious clicking through all those triggers.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

fadam posted:

People who actually play standard instead of responding to .jpgs seem to enjoy it lol. I think the format kicks rear end.

its insanely good right now. the decks are varied and strong. you can play most styles of deck at a high level

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I just got completely run over by a cool mono g goldvein hydra ramp deck. It had a bunch of green cards I'd never seen before and dumped so much power and toughness on the board. Probably completely folds to sunfall but not that many decks maindeck wraths.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol esper midrange, grandpa deck. All I see is red and it's been a blast, fun set, fun standard. Like the British say, Bo1ndes have more fun.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Esper only really feels unbeatable when they get to untap with Raffine, and that's gone in six months. Otherwise it's just the same 'side in duress, play two-for-one creatures, have Cavern of Souls' play pattern, which is boring but not this format's fault.

e: oh yeah Wandering Emperor is gone soon too, hooray

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 25, 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Do people not create fun deck names anymore

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

bring back weird breakfast based deck names.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

no because it's confusing to new players, so sayeth wotc

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Even when they do, wizards refuse to acknowledge it and change everything to [colours][archetype] in coverage.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
To be fair, there is a deck in standard right now called Yorion Reanimator that has no Yorion. But that's also apparently an old name for the archetype and some places calling it 4c Reanimator or sultai something

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

the big content creators stopped recognizing the names so now it's just color + key card

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

idk anything about whatever a "standard" is but if you want to play a format without any rotating cards or new editions, my friends, let me tell you about premodern

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I'll be interested to see what Team Handshake and Team CFB are bringing.

https://magic.gg/news/pro-tour-murders-at-karlov-manor-pioneer-metagame-breakdown

Like, Rakdos Vampires didn't really standout until you saw that the only people playing it were Team CFB - and Azorius Control and Rakdos Mid didn't make the top 8.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Khanstant posted:

To be fair, there is a deck in standard right now called Yorion Reanimator that has no Yorion. But that's also apparently an old name for the archetype and some places calling it 4c Reanimator or sultai something

Wet Abzan Sky Nope-Mad

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Maybe they’ll ban Raffine just before rotation :haw:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

It has come to my attention that current Esper Midrange is not Esper Legends despite having the same basic shell.

I apologize for my outburst and will refrain from complaining about the format further.

Except this one last thing: I cannot wait to see trilands go away.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

at this rate MH3 will be all spoiled by end of april

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The Blue Flare is cool.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

now those, those are leak quality photos

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

MH3 is coming to Arena, right?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Kindred as a supertype looks better than an "Elf Kindred" deck sounds.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Judgy Fucker posted:

MH3 is coming to Arena, right?

yeah

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Yoooooo. Windmill slam into my Emry deck. :c00lbert:

Also, I guess Kindred replaced "Tribal" huh?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The medallion cycle is a cool cycle and I still have my tempest ones.

Flare of denial is loving cooked.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Place your bets: Is the Red Flare going to be Amazing (Deflecting Swat, Fury), or is it going to be rear end (Force of Rage, Pact of the Titan)?

Would the Flare text on a Lightning Strike be good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

just noticed that nulldrifter's draw trigger is "when you cast" like other eldrazi.. neat combo of an eldrazi mulldrifter