Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I really need to prune down my physical collection. Anyone have any ideas what I can do with 150 copies of llanowar elves?

Actually somewhat considering trying to make those 3d alter abacus life counter things at some point, though I dunno if the market for those really exists for cards that aren't emblematic rares for decks or what have you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Leperflesh posted:

Pig Hands? That's a person?

https://www.instagram.com/pighands/?hl=en

From Macedonia, real name Antonio Ilievski, according to https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Pig_Hands/627874

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Reynold posted:

Out of Time Superdrop bonus cards are pretty weak, just some duplicates and islands, but getting a Wrexial alt art for the Runo commander deck I'm building was cool.

Apparently some of them get this instead:

Both my Kamigawa Ink and Teferi Time Trouble just had foil jumpstart islands in them. I had to actually look up if they were special in any way because they're completely not noteworthy.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

HootTheOwl posted:

Which expansion symbol did the lands have? Jumpstart or the promo one?

Promo. Specifically it's promo-symbol foil versions of these two:

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Yeah, legitimately probably the worst "secret" cards they've packed in. The stained glass planeswalkers were getting a little old but at least they were unique, and other basic land pack-ins were cool like the phyrexian swamp, but these are just... boring lands.

Of course a bunch of people on Reddit posting about it like "it's a FREE EXTRA CARD, don't complain!" as if some people aren't pulling the $5k reversed viscera seer lottery tickets and poo poo, lol.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

GonSmithe posted:

If you later, after the Secret Lair goes off of sale, find out about the bonus cards and want them, you can buy them as singles for less money than the Secret Lair you didn't buy.

This is only true if the bonus cards they pack in are indeed cheaper than the lair itself. For the most part this is true, and it's still true if you're just after the card and not a specific printing of the card. But, with the limited-run reversed Viscera Seer, now if you wanted one for some reason (other than to sell as a winning lotto ticket) you've missed out, and your only option is to buy one of the 100 printed for $5k. Of course, buying the lair had no guarantee you'd even get that bonus card, so buying the lair to get it is doubly impossible both because of the limited quantity and because it was unknown ahead of time.

Really, it's just Wizards trying more and more "secret" experiments to find ways to sell more and more Secret Lairs. I personally agree with what Hoot said above:

HootTheOwl posted:

There honestly shouldn't be any secret cards.

I buy maybe 30% of the Secret Lairs, and I do it either because I like the art/artist or because there's a card I want to bling out (like using the Kamigawa Ink Heartless Hidetsugu for my HH commander deck.) The secret pack-in isn't an influencing factor to me, but I'm sure it is for some people, and those are the people Wizards is preying on by hoping they'll order as many lairs as possible for a chance at whatever new ultra-rare lottery Wizards is doing this time around.

I can't imagine they'll stop, and I 100% believe they'll keep doing rare prints for things like the Viscera Seer, unless they somehow stop working. It does, though, make things like a real boring basic land feel bad to open, even if you weren't intending on getting it, since now there's a precedent for pulling something exciting.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Kidnapping James Bond and throwing him in the turn flowchart dungeon.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Many fond memories of ending large EDH games by tapping Heartless Hidetsugu with a Furnace of Rath on the field. Though my favorite is my homeboy Thromok the Insatiable, because who doesn't love big numbers?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

field balm posted:

incredibly sick

Everybody posting the cool triangle one but no one posting the companion piece.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I dunno if anyone is keeping up with the Kamigawa plot but looking up that Jin-Gitaxias art led me to one of the story posts and apparently The Wanderer is the empress of Kamigawa? Not where I thought they were going to go with that character, but neat.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Rebecca Guay is generally quite progressive but she is kind of buying into NFTs (the concept, if not the current execution.)

Still, better than being a nazi or a sex pest or whatever else.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Yeah the problem with NFTs is that the idea of NFTs and what NFTs actually are and do are two totally different things. What they actually are is a scam tricking artists and art-likers into buying into artificial scarcity via purchasing hyperlinks to image files and nothing to do with the actual art or art rights at all. All they do is scam people, facilitate art theft, and promote more crypto bullshit.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Yeah, it straight-up costs money to "mint" an NFT, there's a ton of people out there doing everything up to and including minting single color swatches and trying to claim copyright over specific colors, and all the art theft, and the part where the biggest proponents of NFTs are also pretty linked to nazis.

And that 99% of the "value" of NFTs is inflated through straw purchasing anyway. There aren't real people out there buying those massive value NFTs, they're people taking out huge crypto loans, using the funds to buy the NFT from themselves for half a trillion spitballs or whatever, and repaying the loan immediately having lost nothing on it, etc.

It's scams all the way down. Anyone who hasn't watched this really should:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g

Edit: Sorry, I mostly just wanted to point out that Guay isn't terrible like Bradley or Seb have turned out to be. Didn't mean to go full NFT derail here.

Nighthand fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 31, 2022

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Strong Sauce posted:

i think this is an unrevealed card, prob for commander

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Eej posted:

Compleated 👏 Hatsune 👏 Miku 👏 now, 👏 WOTC 👏

So, Calne Ca

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I made a play mistake once (playing a sorcery as an instant because I didn't read the card closely enough) and rather than point out the mistake my opponent just shouted JUDGE into the aether to summon them to rule on the situation. Personally I probably would have preferred saying "hey that's a sorcery" to which I could respond "oh poo poo, sorry, my bad" rather than stall things out for the judge to work their way over to say it, but so it goes.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Paul Zuvella posted:

That’s literally what judges are there for.

Yes, I didn't object to the judge call itself, I just could have maybe used some warning before having someone shout directly in front of me when it's late, I'm tired, and the unexpected "you did something wrong" yell spikes casual anxiety. It is what it is, I was just contributing my own instance to the previous mentions and discussion of judge calls. Perhaps maybe there should be some etiquette beyond abruptly shouting while only a couple feet in front of someone?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Jiro posted:

How so? The only Eldrazi left is Emrakrul doing Lovecraftian poo poo from the moon of Innistrad.

The only other sort of hint at other Eldrazi-ish stuff were a few cards from Strixhaven.

I could see a Phyrexian invasion of whatever plane Strixhaven is on since it contains a gently caress load of young planeswalkers, and essentially the combined knowledge of existence of the Blind Eternities.

I fully expect a "oh there were more than three titans out there, the others just didn't hit up zendikar to get trapped." Eventually. That, or reveal that the dumb fire thing didn't ACTUALLY kill the two others and they just retreated for a while.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I used this tin to carry a couple dozen casual decks so I always had an array of roughly equally-powered nonsense to play with people if they didn't have their own decks on hand, or wanted to learn the game.

The decks inside were in all manner of old precon boxes, random grocery store deck boxes, or plastic cases, sleeved and unsleeved mostly at random, and with a little bag of dice and a ziploc of glass beads for whatever purposes were necessary.

I still have the tin somewhere, absolutely beat to poo poo because of years of hauling around in a backpack full of other crap.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Another one bites the dust: Rebecca Guay now doing NFTs. https://www.facebook.com/rebecca.guay1/posts/10227669223185173

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

EDHREC is obviously commander-focused but it does have combos sorted by color combinations and stuff. You may be able to dig around for ideas. https://edhrec.com/combos

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I feel like I missed something about this discussion. Is it somehow bad that the evil god isn't depicted as black-coded? Is this a case of "lore-accuracy is better than modern sensitivity even if the lore was racist"? Nothing in that Twitter seems particularly objectionable unless you're real mad about "wokeness" ruining your media already.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Wait did you just write a long paragraph about how using fanwikis is bad and then in the immediate next paragraph use a fanwiki as your proof?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

mcmagic posted:

This sucks and Alchemy also sucks.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

My favorite was the trapped in the tower story, where they knew they wanted a Thing-style danger mystery so they have everyone act as if they've never had a thought before in their lives and they aren't about to start now, for the sake of throwing the tropes in.

One of these five characters may be a spy! Who is it? Is it Karn, beloved character from fan-favorite plot? Is it Jaya, the only one who has any actual way to hurt the enemies? Is it Teferi, with much unresolved plot? Is it Jodah, who fulfills the Marvel sass quota? Or is it Stan, the character we just introduced? It could be anyone!

Or the completely inadvisable decision to split the party repeatedly despite the enemy demonstrating the ability to split into multiples, and also the previously mentioned only one of them has any real ability to hurt it. But, they needed to do so several times so Karn could get everyone alone so he could do the fake intel espionage thing.

Also the zombie movie thing of Jaya getting a flesh wound and oh no! Now she could be infected! (It doesn't come up again and doesn't matter; also Teferi gets hurt even harder and no one is concerned about him getting infected.)

And then none of it matters anyway because the whole point of keeping the tower sealed was to prevent the phyrexian from getting out and infecting people, but half the city is infected already anyway.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

mandatory lesbian posted:

I might be misunderstanding but one of the hallmarks of The Thing is that the characters do think and use thier tools to try figure out who is infected and such

You're right, I just meant the framing of "there's a monster that could be any one of us", not that the Thing had people acting stupid. The stupid comes from the writers hammering the intelligence out of every character to fit their framing so they could write that "mystery".

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Is that also a gearhulk in the background of that doofy avengers picture? Big-rear end Alexander-lookin' thing.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Troll and toad used to do that but I dunno if they still do

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Who?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Time posted:

Well, i think I just got three on accident. at least, I got billed three times. we'll see. thought the bad gateway meant try again

Same. So, either I'll get three and resell two, I'll have three orders and cancel two, or I have zero and everything is broken.

I'm betting on the third one.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I love how they don't turn on the queue system in advance, like anyone in the universe could have predicted they should have. Instead they let it break, multi-charge everyone, and THEN turn it on.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I never got the confirmation page but I did get a confirmation email, so I'll count it. I got stuff to do today and can't babysit a website either way.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Those genesis missing the stamp cards might sell for a slight premium in the misprint Facebook groups depending on how common they end up being.

Apparently there's at least one sheet of hellkite with the back upside down too so check that.

Misprint people buy weird things, it's kind of fun to watch.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Really the discussion about copyright in the works produced by the AI misses the point, which is that the AIs themselves were generated through massive violations of artist rights, website terms of service, and even personal rights (since there have been HIPAA-violating images found in it, for example), etc. I absolutely would not be surprised to learn there's other vastly illegal poo poo in it as well. AI-gen an interesting tool created by wildly unethical people for the purposes of rapid monetization and cutting out an already undervalued and underpaid demographic of creatives before it gets regulated, and even if it makes neat and uncopyrightable art it's still based on a rancid foundation and supporting it, especially with paid tools, is bad. It'd be another thing if the corpus was opt-in, but they explicitly didn't do that because it's a lot slower than just turning a bunch of image scrapers loose and using whatever they hoover up.

Also for my personal 2 cents AI cards are almost always just boring, but I'll solve that problem for myself by not going into the thread about AI cards.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

What about regular Urza time-traveled from the moment of his Sylex blast to the present via Teferi shenanigans, versus all those things?

https://twitter.com/DominicIan4/status/1611177935075168256

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Truly the eternal peril of writing masterminds is that you have to be clever enough to make them smart, lest your heroes be tripping on their shoes to be dumber to make it work.

Anyway my dumb prediction is Elspeth comes back with a heretofore unmentioned Eldrazi Titan a her side to wreck New Phyrexia and save the day... BUT AT WHAT COST????

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

flatluigi posted:

it seems like every single corporation got a bug up their rear end to lay off 5-10% of their workforce at the end of q4 this year and i wanna know what big brained rear end in a top hat convinced them all to do it

https://www.reddit.com/r/LateStageCapitalism/comments/10k92tp/hedge_fund_directly_responsible_for_recent_tech/

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I used to make weave as a habit because I played with a guy whose favorite casual deck was a ton of various control magic effects and it was an easy way to validate that I had all my cards back. But this was also kitchen table unsleeved games not fnm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1627384602074521601

In retrospect, bringing back planechase for this set makes perfect sense.