Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Silhouette posted:

I got absolutely housed yesterday playing standard vs a dude with a b/w control deck running 4xmeathook massacre and 4xwarlock class, and it made me realize that the Classes not being legendary is loving stupid

The Lands deck some goon posted a while ago occasionally gets multiple Druid Classes in play in a single turn, with enough mana to power them all up. That is the turn when you win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

One time I had a Jace, the Mind Sculptor at 12 and I let a Lightning Bolt resolve because I forgot my life total was 3.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The original Werewolves had the serious problem that if you passed the turn to transform everything, your opponent could cast a one-mana instant on your end step to ruin your plans. It was impossible to make a good tribal werewolf deck, although Mayor of Avabruck and Huntmaster of the Fells were good on their own.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Read Bereaved Survivor. "When another creature you control dies, transform Bereaved Survivor." By the rules, if two creatures die, there should be two triggers - one would transform Bereaved Survivor into Dauntless Avenger, and then the second would transform it back. That's clearly not how the card is meant to work, but is there any text or rule that says that's not how it works? Are we back to using intuition over rules when the card text doesn't seem to make sense?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I didn't know about that rule, thank you.

LifeLynx posted:

701.28f is correct, but a better question is why is she bereaved before any of her fellow creatures have died?

Good point!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

NotNut posted:

I wanted to make a powerful vintage deck of proxies to show my casual friends how ridiculous the game can get. So I looked at some of the vintage meta for ideas, but they're evolved specifically to counter other vintage meta decks, whereas I want something more general. Does anyone have recommendations for cards and combos to use in a vintage red/white/blue for playing against any possible opponent?

Jeskai Xerox is a good one. It plays a lot of one-ofs and restricted cards, so you can ludicrously blow out your opponents in a variety of ways. To play with friends, you should cut the maindeck Pyroblasts for another Ragavan and more removal.

I recommend buying two proxy decks so your opponents can try playing Vintage as well.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

goferchan posted:

I can absolutely understand why "Counterspell with significant upside" is very loving good, but I'm actually a little surprised it's "banned in legacy" good. Is the text just that strong, or is there some busted interaction where you're "countering" your own can't be countered spells to generate a ton of mana or something?

It was banned in 2004 when the Legacy ban list was disconnected from the Vintage restricted list. Blue has always been good in Legacy, so they've never felt a need to make it stronger by letting them have Mana Drain. The list of cards they banned in 2004 is:

Bazaar of Baghdad, Goblin Recruiter, Hermit Druid, Illusionary Mask, Land Tax, Mana Drain, Metalworker, Mishra's Workshop, Oath of Druids, Replenish, Skullclamp, and Worldgorger Dragon

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

At the time, Mana Drain decks played creatures like Morphling or Psychatog. In the early game, they'd use Mana Drain's extra mana to cast something like Fact or Fiction or Cunning Wish to gain card advantage.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Abhorrence posted:

Someone, Chamale I think, described that deck as the deck you pull out against "someone who claims their deck is unbeatable but does not know what a sideboard is."

I wasn't the one who said that, but I like it. I remember when we developed the deck in this thread back in 2013, that was a fun time.

The kids these days with their Thassa's Oracle don't know how good they have it - I remember when the win condition was The Mimeoplasm, Triskelion, and Lord of Extinction.

NotNut posted:

Yeah, I might make another too. Thanks for the recommendation. How does copying the cards work when they use green or black mana? I'm guessing it has something to do with Misty Rainforest or Polluted Delta but you don't have a Swamp or Forest in your deck for them to find.

Ragavan makes a Treasure token, which can be sacrificed for one mana of any colour.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

NotNut posted:

Oh right. So what exactly are the Misty Rainforest and Polluted Delta for then?

To fetch a dual land and get whatever colour of mana you need. Also, you can cast Brainstorm, put two undesired cards on top of your library, and then crack a fetch to shuffle.

Sit on my Jace posted:

I think there was also briefly an Underworld Cerberus version that used a bunch of Elvish/Simian Spirit Guides and a Wild Cantor to cast Laboratory Maniac, then cycled Street Wraith for the win. God, the things people used to do to combo kill...

The Yup. And one of the first two-card kills it got was reanimating Goblin Dark-Dwellers to cast Haunting Misery.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

NotNut posted:

Here's what I've got so far

So it's about casting a lot of spells, and stealing stuff with Ragavan and Dack. Thinking of adding cyclonic rifts as more removal and synergy with Dack. Oh and Time Vault and Voltaic Key are just kind of there to show a stupid combo.

Vault-Key doesn't work in a WUR deck, you want it in a deck like Paradoxical Outcome that can play Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, and Tinker. It's really hard to play that deck, though. A good second deck might be Golos Stax. Vintage Dredge is one of the craziest and highest-power decks in existence, but you don't have balanced games with it ever - it's 90% to win Game 1, and then it has to try to win game 2 or 3 against a sideboard.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ultima66 posted:

I'm late on the discussion but it is funny that Vintage evolved to a point where arguably the "meta" decks are not even doing anything you'd consider conventionally broken in the Vintage Magic sense.

Having played a lot of Vintage, sometimes it's better when you show someone just how strong a "fair" Vintage deck is. Tendrils for 20 can happen in Vintage or Legacy, but only Vintage sees first turns like Mox, Mox, Planeswalker, or Ancestral Recall with FoW and Snapcaster backup.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I think the move away from blocks has resulted in a Standard where synergistic decks are much weaker, so the best decks tend to involve cramming all the best cards together. This problem has existed before, as with four-color Siege Rhino decks. It seems that the gap between the best Standard decks and a casual tribal deck is much wider than it used to be.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lone Goat posted:

What was the last good standard deck that you felt was "synergistic"?

Oven Cat. Before that, the Wildgrowth Walker/Explore package with Bolas's Citadel.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

You have good points, I think you're right. I can't believe I forgot about Rogues, I played that deck for a year.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm playing Selesnya Ramp and I don't think Epiphany is a problem, my deck beats it easily. However, I'm seeing Bant Ramp decklists that play Epiphany, so if every deck starts playing that card it'll need a ban.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Leperflesh posted:

What if a take another turn card also untapped all your opponent's lands and creatures? Would that be too big of a downside to let it be playable? Let's assume it's fairly cheap to cast and has no other downside.

That would be a neat design and I think it's printable. Still has the issue with copying the spell, though.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

just lol @ every result of all 6 scg satellite events

Oops, All Esika's and Alrund's

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nowadays, if you want to play a Star Wars CCG the best one is Star Wars: The Gathering. Magic's mechanics are just really solid, it's like an RTS game as a card game.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Crackbone posted:

5 AlrunDragon decks in a row on Bo3 ladder. Ugh.

Yeah, I made Day 2 of the Arena event and faced three UR decks. Two of them used Ashmouth Dragon and I lost.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Absolutely guaranteed to make an entertaining SaffronOlive video. With a deck that is mostly lands and has Valakut The Molten Pinnacle, you could blow someone up the moment you play this.

The Shortest Path posted:

A onedrop wolf might make the wolves deck playable in standard now?

It's a drat shame it isn't a werewolf though, a turn 1 daybound creature is deeply needed.

Reckless Waif was able to dunk on decks that didn't have one-drops. I'm pretty sure they decided that a Daybound one-drop would be too good against slow decks, but now Werewolf aggro is completely unplayable.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Silhouette posted:

Build your own Humility

Overwhelming Splendor is an 8-mana effect. I like the idea of slime tribal being playable, maybe we'll get more of these.

fadam posted:

Has to be some sort of janky combo involving this a Ballista and something else in the yard.

Morselhoarder and Devoted Druid gives infinite mana.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I love doubling things. I'm messing around with a Standard deck that copies Calamity Bearer with Mindlink Mech and Delina, Wild Mage to deal high amounts of damage. Are there other creatures like Calamity Bearer that greatly benefit from having multiple copies of them in play?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

HootTheOwl posted:

There's plenty, go to gatherer for any effect that says "double" or "twice" on a permanent.
The issues is none of them win alone so your deck need to be winning before these before relevant.
Like calamity bearer is part of like a hundred damage doubling effects, but you still need to hit a player before any of it matters.
E: so build your Giant tribal deck first, then add the bearers

The only other one I see in Standard is Surtland Flinger, which would do well alongside Calamity Bearer.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

This is hilarious, but I think it misses the important detail that you get to play one land per turn.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I didn't like Neon Dynasty because it felt like there were only a handful of cards that mattered. New Capenna is a lot of fun, and it's always an interesting question whether you want a two-colour or three-colour deck.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I just had my Glamorous Outlaw put into Witness Protection, and then she Faked Her Own Death to come back at full strength. This set is amazing.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The One Ring has the problem that, like Yawgmoth, you want the power level to be extremely high but don't want the mana cost to make it unplayable. Emrakul, the Aeons Torn is a fantastic card because she's supposed to be incredibly powerful and she is, but some legendary characters have become rather unimpressive cards.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

fadam posted:

See: every Street Fighter card. We’re only ever going to get one Guile card and the one we got is a steaming pile.

I thought you meant this:

Then I discovered that this exists:

Might be fun to troll a Legacy event with a deck full of these crossover cards.

Edit: Seems they're not legal in Legacy yet, but will be soon. "I'll play Golf Sucks Now And Has Always Sucked", and I'll tap it to cast Hadoken targeting you."

Also, these minimalist Secret Lair checklands are gorgeous, holy poo poo.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 11, 2022

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I put Destroy Evil in my deck to deal with Sheoldred. Killing Sigarda, Champion of Light with it just feels wrong.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I remember when Modern was introduced, and it was "Whatever the best standard decks were, with slightly better cantrips." Then it became "Which turn 3 kill combo is more consistent". Blighted Shoal, Eggs, and Amulet Titan were extremely cool decks, although they tended to create boring games. Now it's "Block Constructed: Modern Horizons".

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A fun card game should cost $3,000 to play or it isn't fun anymore

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Silhouette posted:

Standard is nothing but mono black, pioneer is mono black and creativity, modern is mh2 money pile.dec and pauper is all turbo initiative

Standard owns right now. There are several decks that absolutely dumpster mono black, so you get this over-meta of those decks fighting with each other while mono black kills everything else.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lord Banana posted:

What other decks are there?

Mono-white control, UW Vehicles, RG Stompy.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I really hope some cards from this set show up in Legacy. And not something like "Murktide Regent But You Have To Recite A Poem", but actually fun effects. I'm probably going to build a deck to troll a Legacy event at least once.

It's a good thing Vorthos isn't legal, because there's almost certainly a way to win a game instantly with her.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Aphrodite posted:

It creates infinite ETB, death triggers, and Storm count with Cormela.

Infinite mana if you get a Dark Ritual in the loop.

How does that work? Would you need a Mirror Gallery?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

GoutPatrol posted:

I have spent more time fussing over which goblin tokens to bring to a tournament then about what should be in my sideboard

I used to use bad legendary creatures from Legends as the divider between my deck and sideboard. I once got deck-checked playing U Tron at a big Modern event and the judge said "This Jasmine Boreal is technically a Modern-legal card so it shouldn't be in your deckbox but we'll let it slide."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Meet and Greet "Sisay" would be a ridiculously consistent Un-Legacy deck. Turn one Mass Hysteria, turn two Sisay, and there are 6 zero-mana spells with five or more lines of flavourtext. You can even cast Summoner's Pact to find her. Good thing she's got the acorn.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I do that for our kitchen table games

Monarch and Initiative reminder cards
4 Initiative Dungeons
Day/Night reminder card

and for me a full Lesson Deck and 3 normal Dungeons

I will be boycotting this set because of stickers and attractions :)

It really sucked having to spend $200 on Eldrazi just in case I Mind Control an opponent's Spawnsire of Ulamog.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sickening posted:

Which deck do you consider a stompy deck in modern right now?

I think he means the spell Stomp, which turns off damage prevention and lets you kill someone through a Nine Lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Framboise posted:

WHY IS THIS NOT LEGAL :(

Imagine shuffling tokens into your deck.

I'm extremely excited for all the legal cards, and not about any of the acorns. I think this might be the first magic event I go to since the world ended