Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Srice posted:

Off the top of my head:

Secret of Mamo is amazing, it was made before there was an agreed upon formula for franchise movies so it gets really wild and eclectic.

The Koike-directed films rule a lot.

In Memory of the Walther P38 (localized as Island of Assassins) is a pretty solid, more serious take on a Lupin story.

Jun Kawagoe is a very under appreciated action director and while he mostly sticks to remakes of old mecha stuff he has directed two good Lupin movies; Operation Return the Treasure and Goodbye Partner.

I think a lot about how very early on the first anime (or maybe just that pilot episode?) has that line about how Fujiko might be a spy trying to kill Lupin.

Thanks, apparently there was a live action Lupin movie as well. Is that one any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Larryb posted:

Thanks, apparently there was a live action Lupin movie as well. Is that one any good?

There's a few of them. I quite like the 1974 live action Lupin. It goes all in on being a live action cartoon and the casting is great for what they set out to do (which is to make a movie that is sillier than what the anime was doing).

The 2014 live action Lupin has atrocious editing and feels like it was put together by people who are deeply ashamed of making a live action anime. It's too self conscious about what it is. But even ignoring that aspect and approaching the movie on its own merits, it's just a bland heist film. It stinks.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Srice posted:

There's a few of them. I quite like the 1974 live action Lupin. It goes all in on being a live action cartoon and the casting is great for what they set out to do (which is to make a movie that is sillier than what the anime was doing).

The 2014 live action Lupin has atrocious editing and feels like it was put together by people who are deeply ashamed of making a live action anime. It's too self conscious about what it is. But even ignoring that aspect and approaching the movie on its own merits, it's just a bland heist film. It stinks.

Is the 1974 movie still available anywhere out of curiosity? So far I’ve only been able to locate the 2014 one

As for the ones I have seen:

-First Contact was alright (probably a better origin story than the 2014 live action one based on your description at least)

-Cagliostro I can see why it’s so iconic but honestly you probably could have swapped the Lupin gang out for new characters and still basically had the same movie

-Once I got past the weird uncanny valley look of the CG, The First was honestly pretty good for the most part.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 31, 2021

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Larryb posted:

On another note, are there any other Lupin movies that are worth a watch? So far I’ve only seen Cagliostro, First Contact, and The First.

dittoing the rec. on koike movies, they're awesome and basically just big and crazy produced lupin episodes focusing on specific chars of the gang and the kawagoe movies. they're all aces.

for the million specials, besides the already mentioned ones there's some that have some really amazing finales despite being kinda whatever.
dead or alive is the one folks usually bring up because the animation for the entire last 20 minutes is insane and i think apparently almost bankrupted whoever was working on it? or something crazy

i really love the ending to missed by a dollar and the general tone/plot - it's kind of boring as a whole in the scope of 'action' but it still has this weird aspect of it trying to cover 'turn of the century'/2000-era style change in terms of the villain being a Bank tryin' to start wars just for money and oil that really hits

stolen lupin and angel tactics are also fun trashy b-level movies too

i should probably watch some of the 90s/80s specials too lol, i always hear farewell to nostradamus is alright alongside the goemon ones

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just watched Mamo, that was bizarre but pretty fun. Is this the closest the series has come to straight up dabbling in the supernatural?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

Just watched Mamo, that was bizarre but pretty fun. Is this the closest the series has come to straight up dabbling in the supernatural?

Have you forgotten all the random supernatural stuff in Part 2?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Have you forgotten all the random supernatural stuff in Part 2?

Ah right, nevermind

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, what studio worked on the Dead or Alive movie? The artstyle reminded me a lot of stuff like Berserk.

And since I couldn’t find the 70’s version I decided to watch the 2014 live action film out of morbid curiosity and yeah, you were right. That was a mediocre at best heist movie with some Lupin flavoring (the actors were doing their best at least and the costumes/props were as accurate as they could be). I couldn’t tell, did they even bother including the theme song in this movie anywhere?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 3, 2021

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Ep3 spoilers Were the boys supposed to be a Hardy Boys pastiche intentionally?

EDIT: Wait no this is way more clever a reference than I initially thought.

The "Inspector Queen" from NYPD is Ellery Queen psyeudonym and fictional character written BY Frederic Dannay and Manfred Lee (who were cousins IRL and came up with Ellery Queen together)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellery_Queen#Ellery_Queen,_the_fictional_character

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 4, 2021

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I was able to get Lupin III Part 1/2/3 and ~15+ films 480p rips online after looking for a long time. Part 1 has been little tough to get into but I'm pretty sure it will improve.

edit; drat I thought Miyazaki didn't fully take over until Part II but I guess it was like episode 9 of Part 1 when him and others did after it performed horribly with ratings.

knox fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 5, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

….What did I just watch? Most of the episode was just talking and felt like it was over way too quickly (unless this is supposed to be setting up something later down the line).

Out of curiosity, are the Fujiko based ED songs in this series actually sung by her VA?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 7, 2021

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Oshii continuing his tend of just writing super talky episodes that started in Vlad Love. What a wet fart of a return to anime

Also the cardinal sin of having the Duke Togo parody actually speak which is the easiest lay up you can do in parody

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Larryb posted:

….What did I just watch? Most of the episode was just talking and felt like it was over way too quickly (unless this is supposed to be setting up something later down the line).

An adaptation of the classic Hemmingway short story "The Killers" followed by a semi-metatextual discussion of the history of the piece, tying it the initial episode setup.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

An adaptation of the classic Hemmingway short story "The Killers" followed by a semi-metatextual discussion of the history of the piece, tying it the initial episode setup.

Huh, I’d never read/heard of the story before but that makes a lot more sense. Neat

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was pretty fun, though half the episode was Hemmingway dialog so it was hard to go wrong.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m still working my way through the series backlog but has the Lupin franchise ever done anything like this before out of curiosity?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 8, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there is so much lupin that he's done pretty much everything before.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So last week we got a Hemingway tribute and now we’re doing a time travel arc. Alright show, I’m interested again.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That sounds sweet! Love Lupin, I'm just starting part 4 recently. Love the oldschool stuff, part 1 is a big fav.

On movies, I'd say most Lupin movies and specials are worth a watch. I especially like a lot of the specials towards the middle of the run, around 2000.

Sweet Lost Night, Angel's Tactics, Seven Days Rhapsody, Fujiko's Unlucky Days, Missed by a Dollar, Farewell to Nostradamus, Tokyo Crisis, those are a few more I'd recommend.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 21, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, the latest Lupin reinforces my general disappointment with this season. The clue Lupin picks up that Zenigata was really Sherlock Holmes was that Zenigata isn't that much of a badass. The thing is?

Half the time, Zenigata IS that much of a badass. Sure, the other half of the time he's a bumbling punchline, but when he's on his game even Lupin himself is hard pressed to get away. He even (rarely) manages to be cool. Sure, it's for like five minutes at the outside, but still.

Now, I can totally believe Lupin poo poo-talking his favorite rival, but it feels like the show's underselling him too. Holmes and Zenigata are competing for the same narrative resources, and the dynamic that's been around for decades is being undermined to build up the new guy, and... this is less interesting.

Like, we get "LUPIN KILLED WATSON?!?" as the basis for tension here, and that's gone the next time they meet. Sure, we already could be pretty sure Lupin wouldn't orphan a cute kid, but this is the most obvious Superman kills Jimmy bullshit with nothing surprising in the reveal, and no cool scenes coming from the tension.

To contrast with last season, there we had Fujiko apparently killing Lupin. Sure, we knew she... actually, we were just pretty sure she wouldn't try to do that, because Fujiko and Lupin screw each other over almost as much as they screw each other, but even beyond that, it lead to cool scenes. People thought Lupin was dead, it advanced the Lupin and Fujiko subplot by forcing them back together, and it still left mysteries when it was done on what, exactly, happened between the two of them.

Here, the only mystery is who the killer was, and even beyond us having a pretty decent guess as to the killer (it's Moriarty, it's always loving Moriarty, for the love of hell can we at least not pretend it's surprising when it's Moriarty?) there's no real interest in the reveal. Like, let's say it's some big twist, like it's Holmes or Lestrade or Lily running a ten year long con to collect the insurance money on her own father's murder(!), who gives a gently caress? Okay, a four year old starting an elaborate conspiracy to fool the world's greatest thief and the world's greatest detective is potential comedy gold, but beyond that, we just met the Holmes versions for this anime, and have no reason to care about them beyond their couple of episodes.

For contrast, Part 5 steps in again. We're given reason to care about Ami at the jump, because Lupin rescues her and has keeping her safe as his first big goal, the one that sets off the first arc. Later on, Albert matters because he's Lupin's old rival, with deeply personal ties from before Lupin III was even Lupin III. We only start getting secondhand connections, like Ami's school friend or her dad, once we've spent enough time around Ami to presumably give a drat about how she feels.

Here, it's trying to sell you on Holmes from the jump, and that's much more delicate work. He's not the guy in the OP or the one-off episodes, after all.

Really, the Killers episode is this season's high point by far.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

While I'm not particularly wild about the Holmes stuff it hasn't been bothering me as much as the serialized stuff from Part 5 since it has been relatively sparse at this point. This far into Part 5 we had all of what, one standalone episode? The balance is leaning way more towards standalone episodes this season and I'm glad of it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I seem to recall Part 4 having a decent amount of standalone episodes as well.

While I feel the whole mystery they’d been building up was resolved a bit sooner than I expected (aside from the identity of the real killer that is), aside from the train episode I’ve been enjoying Part 6 for the most part and they’ve been doing some creative stuff with the series (like the episode that was basically an adaption of Hemingway’s The Killers and the recent time travel arc that turned out to be a computer simulation).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yea Part 4 hit a nice balance with that for me. Especially since the original characters would sometimes participate in the standalone episodes too which goes a long way towards making them feel like they have their own lives instead of being beholden to the plot.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Srice posted:

While I'm not particularly wild about the Holmes stuff it hasn't been bothering me as much as the serialized stuff from Part 5 since it has been relatively sparse at this point. This far into Part 5 we had all of what, one standalone episode? The balance is leaning way more towards standalone episodes this season and I'm glad of it.

One, yeah. Episode 6: Lupin vs. the Smart Safe. Full on pink jacket, followed by the start of the Albert arc. Meanwhile, this season has had two, with one of its two parters being standalone itself.

I can see preferring the format here, but I feel like the episodes themselves have been a major step down for the most part. The Killers was fun, and the setup part of the time travel episode was interesting, even if the payoff was weaker, but the other episodes have been really disappointing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That was a nice Jigen episode (also based on his expression when the fake cops were driving away it seems like Lily’s teacher’s in on the conspiracy, either that or he was just being smug about pulling one over on the would be kidnappers/assassins).

Out of curiosity, was the antagonist of this episode a new character or someone that’s shown up in the franchise before?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 5, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Larryb posted:

That was a nice Jigen episode (also based on his expression when the fake cops were driving away it seems like Lily’s teacher’s in on the conspiracy, either that or he was just being smug about pulling one over on the would be kidnappers/assassins).

Out of curiosity, was the antagonist of this episode a new character or someone that’s shown up in the franchise before?

I'm pretty sure he's new. Also, this is just reinforcing my feeling that Jigen just isn't doing cool shooting this season. He gets a spotlight episode, and it's all about him needing his revolver (rather than just having it as a sentimental favorite while he can pull trick shots using anything with a trigger) and nobody does stunts. Like, in the Jigen spotlight in part 5, his rival shoots down a pillar to crush him, then Jigen rapid-fires the collapsing pillar to keep it from tagging him and snipes her rifle just right to make her shot miss Lupin and tag his opponent in a chess game. It paints him and his opponent as total badasses and highlights why Lupin keeps the guy around. Jigen is as absurd a gunslinger as Lupin is a thief

Here, (unlike in episode 0, which covered the same themes with the revolver) Jigen's just making mundane any-action-hero-can-do-it shots, and not even in a particularly impressive way. When his enemy is charging him, he needs the gimmick shot to the chest, when (given that his opponent makes Imperial Stormtroopers look precise) he had all the time in the world to line up a headshot. It's not something to make the viewer whistle in appreciation.

In fact, it's worse than that, as the main issue was already resolved by Lupin doing the switcharoo with Kenny. This isn't Jigen saving the day. This is Jigen playing decoy for another of his endless past grudges, and a particularly dull one at that.

I like a good Jigen episode as much as the next guy, probably more. Just wish I could say this was one of them.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well

Gotta admit I didn't see that one coming.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, that was kind of a weird one to be honest

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It was definitely a weird episode and quite a bit experimental, but I don't think it was a bad addition.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

It was definitely a weird episode and quite a bit experimental, but I don't think it was a bad addition.

Oh it wasn’t bad at all, just weird (though I could have sworn this franchise has done something similar in the past). I kind of like that they’re trying some more experimental stuff this season.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Knowing that it was an Oshii-written episode featuring a plot about a fossil I wondered if it was gonna go there, and when it did I hooted and hollered.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Incredible episode, I live for this stuff.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another decent episode in my opinion, looks like we’re getting back to the plot for a little while now.

Speaking of, do we have any idea how long this season is supposed to run out of curiosity (the last two were about 24-25 or so if I remember right but I’m not sure if that’s a hard rule for this series now or not)?

On another note, I wonder if a more back to basics Lupin series could work these days (that is, less of a connecting story and more oneshot heist episodes like the old days). It also could be interesting to have some other characters get their own spin-off shows like Fujiko did a while back.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 25, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Can't go wrong with more Lupin. Episodic works for me, I think a mainly episodic show could still get buzz as well. I'm just happy Lupin is such a timeless groovy hit, so we still get more of the gang.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Larryb posted:

Another decent episode in my opinion, looks like we’re getting back to the plot for a little while now.

Speaking of, do we have any idea how long this season is supposed to run out of curiosity (the last two were about 24-25 or so if I remember right but I’m not sure if that’s a hard rule for this series now or not)?

On another note, I wonder if a more back to basics Lupin series could work these days (that is, less of a connecting story and more oneshot heist episodes like the old days). It also could be interesting to have some other characters get their own spin-off shows like Fujiko did a while back.

Inspector Zenigata actually got his own live action show a while back.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Inspector Zenigata actually got his own live action show a while back.

He did? What was it called and is it any good?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Larryb posted:

He did? What was it called and is it any good?

It's just called "Inspector Zenigata", and I don't know. Haven't found many reviews or a legal way to watch the episodes with subtitles, so it's hard to get a real verdict.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

It's just called "Inspector Zenigata", and I don't know. Haven't found many reviews or a legal way to watch the episodes with subtitles, so it's hard to get a real verdict.

Yeah, searching around apparently it ran for 9 episodes on Hulu Japan and a few other channels and from what I can find only 4 of them ever got subbed in some manner (there’s no legal way to see it as far as I’m aware but I found the aforementioned episodes on a site called Watchasian if anyone was curious):

https://lupin.fandom.com/wiki/Inspector_Zenigata_(TV_series)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 25, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Update: I tracked down and watched an episode of the aforementioned Zenigata series. It’s basically your standard cop drama that just happens to star Zenigata and feature some Lupin esque humor.

No other characters from the series appear to my knowledge (though Lupin himself is mentioned a couple times and his VA is the show’s narrator) and each episode varies in length. Overall it’s watchable at least and has a decent cast (it basically serves to show that when not dealing with the Lupin Gang Zenigata’s actually a pretty competent detective).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Larryb posted:

Update: I tracked down and watched an episode of the aforementioned Zenigata series. It’s basically your standard cop drama that just happens to star Zenigata and feature some Lupin esque humor.

No other characters from the series appear to my knowledge (though Lupin himself is mentioned a couple times and his VA is the show’s narrator) and each episode varies in length. Overall it’s watchable at least and has a decent cast (it basically serves to show that when not dealing with the Lupin Gang Zenigata’s actually a pretty competent detective).

World's best. He's the only man who can regularly almost catch Lupin.

Not that you'd pick it up from this season, where Zenigata was just... there. Same with Jigen and Goemon in the main plot stuff. (And even in his spotlight episode, Jigen didn't do anything cool.)

The finale of the Holmes plot was... bad. The culprit was easy to predict by the usual "Who do I know?" rules, the reveals weren't cool and didn't make me think Holmes and Lupin were geniuses, and again, this season continues to waste Zenigata.