Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I wasn't expecting a next episode teaser after that. Is this 13 episodes or is there a whole second cour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sindai posted:

I wasn't expecting a next episode teaser after that. Is this 13 episodes or is there a whole second cour?

The last two seasons were about 24-25 episodes but I’m not sure about the current one.

It does kind of feel like the series is headed towards the endgame based on the recent episode and the preview but I’m don’t know if there’s been any official word as to how long this show’s going to last.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Regarding the end of episode 12: what lupin story was that Moriarty a reference to?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Second half of the season started this last week, and it feels like a step up so far. The plot's actually about Lupin, Zenigata's presented as good but not quite good enough, rather than a pure punchline, and the gang has some good banter.

Here's hoping it's a sign of things to come.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That was a better Jigen solo episode than the last one at least. Aside from stumbling a bit at the start this season has been pretty decent so far in my opinion (I like it more than 5 anyway)

I assume this is slated to run for the standard 24-26 episodes like the last few?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not a bad Fujiko episode this week. Considering we’re in the 20’s now and they’re still doing one-shots does that possibly mean we’re getting a slightly longer season this time around?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Not a bad Fujiko episode this week. Considering we’re in the 20’s now and they’re still doing one-shots does that possibly mean we’re getting a slightly longer season this time around?

Not necessarily. The Holmes storyline totaled 6 episodes in its entirety with the rest during that time being one shots. The current storyline about Tomoe has had four episodes so far, so I could easily see them wrapping it up in a two or three part finale. Anime chart claims 24 episodes, and I can believe that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

Not necessarily. The Holmes storyline totaled 6 episodes in its entirety with the rest during that time being one shots. The current storyline about Tomoe has had four episodes so far, so I could easily see them wrapping it up in a two or three part finale. Anime chart claims 24 episodes, and I can believe that.

That’s the length the previous two seasons were so that’d make sense

Off the subject, there haven’t been any announcements regarding another movie or special recently have there?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

There better be! We demand a steady stream of Lupin anime until the end of time.

Random Lupin tidbit: I learned that Funimation (via Discotek) has better subs for Lupin pt 2's episode 80-155 than Crunchyroll. How about that. I've been watching eps of that forever, still fun.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If the past is any indication, it might be a few years before we see a Part 7 but hopefully we’ll get another movie or something to tide us over in the meantime

Though that said, I’d personally be down for another spinoff series as well ala A Woman Called Fujiko Mine or the live action Zenigata show

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Having watched the most recent two-parter, both of Zenigata's subordinates are very bad at their job and he absolutely should not rely on them in any way.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is it confirmed at this point that we’ve only got two episodes left or will this one be a bit longer (the assassin tutor arc feels like it’s probably going to be the last one since the Holmes plot has more or less been dealt with and she has a personal connection to Lupin)?

I’m also curious if we’ll have to wait another 3 years for Season 7 as well (and if we’ll be getting any new movies/specials to tide us over in the meantime)

But overall I liked this one more than Part 5 at least (though I didn’t mind that one as much as some did to be honest)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 14, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Larryb posted:

So is it confirmed at this point that we’ve only got two episodes left or will this one be a bit longer (the assassin tutor arc feels like it’s probably going to be the last one since the Holmes plot has more or less been dealt with and she has a personal connection to Lupin)?

I’m also curious if we’ll have to wait another 3 years for Season 7 as well (and if we’ll be getting any new movies/specials to tide us over in the meantime)

But overall I liked this one more than Part 5 at least (though I didn’t mind that one as much as some did to be honest)

See, I'm not caught up with the latest one-off, but I'd put Part 5 way ahead of this one. The Holmes plot was terrible, as were most of the one-offs in the first half of the season. Back half's been alright, and the Oshii episodes were fun weird, but nothing's even come close to matching the episode where Lupin's toilet was broken.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 26, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And that’s another season done and dusted. The Holmes stuff was meh at best but there were some fun oneshots here and there and the Madam Tomoe arc was alright for the most part

Hopefully they’ve got something else in the pipe to tide us over while we wait another 3+ years for Part 7

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Weren't the Koike specials seemingly building to something?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

Remind me what the Koike specials were again?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

Yeah, Mamo was in them so it seemed like it was building to a Secret of Mamo remake.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Larryb posted:

Remind me what the Koike specials were again?

Fujiko Mine's Lie
Goemon's Blood Spray
Jigen's Gravestone

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

Fujiko Mine's Lie
Goemon's Blood Spray
Jigen's Gravestone

Ah yes, I remember now

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I still gotta see those! Also the latest couple TV specials. And latest couple anime series. And half of part 2, and 3. Mondo Lupin backlog, can't beat Lupin.

Ever jam out to Yuji Ohno? I have that Drive Groovin' Lupin album in the car rotation. Man he's got a lot of Lupin albums.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, that sucked.

One really cool thing about part 5's ending is it had a non-reveal that still acted as a payoff and a significant character beat. Here, by contrast, the non-reveal was just a non-reveal. It was set up so it was maybe something two episodes back, and then nothing was done with it. It didn't pay off a compelling mystery, or create an interesting new dynamic. It was just... there.

This season overall was a major disappointment. The first half was terrible except for the Oshii episodes, which were more entertainingly weird than anything. The second half started stronger, and had better standalones than the non-Oshii stuff in the first half, but nothing half as fun as the best standalones in part 5, and the reveals for the larger plot continually made it less interesting.

We know from the jump that we won't get Lupin's real history. It's not that kind of show, so placing that as the stakes isn't compelling, and made the non-reveal just come off as inevitable.

But man. Part V. That was great. The way every standalone played on different themes, with a bunch of different jackets? That was great. And we got a bunch of past for Lupin that actually added layers, giving him a rival who was basically a perfect mirror, and a new member of the gang who had skills that complemented the main team, and Jigen got to be incredibly badass, and then there was the toilet episode, which is just... man, that one episode is better than all of part VI put together, and it's not even close.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

So, having now seen the finale and looking back on the series as a whole, I have to say that the show pitched as "Lupin the 3rd versus Sherlock Holmes" was not the season of Lupin that I would think would've ended up as being, reflective meta-commentary on itself, but here we are: Art-house Lupin III.

Because after considering this season as a whole I think that's where we are. It wasn't just Sherlock Holmes showing up, the whole show spent a lot of time futzing about stories. Part one not only had Holmes and his assortment of associated literary characters, it also had the episodes by Oshii which most directly tipped the show's hand. Putting aside the obvious first episode by him where the cast spend 15 minutes reenacting a Hemingway story we also have him finally cashing in on the idea for the movie of Lupin III he wanted to make a while back which was going to be explicitly meta-fictional. And in and around that half of the show there were a bunch of little grace notes nodding towards previous Lupin entries, with him mentioning the two previous Sherlock Holmes he dealt with and the episode about Jigen getting a new voice actor and all the other times they talked about stuff Lupin had done sometime previously offscreen and are only being shown now if at all.

And then they brought it to the front and center in the second half with Tomoe which, in hindsight feels extremely meta-fictional. Suddenly we have a character who may or may not be Lupin's mother, a person who not only stands as a retcon (or at least a new and previously unmentioned addition to a main character's back story) but who has the ability to alter people's memories, i.e. she can almost LITERALLY retcon people's history. The end of the series also reveals that instead of the usual string of one shots in between plot episodes the whole second half of the show was actually all plot important episodes as their presence was part of an incredibly circuitous plan to capture Lupin, an act that throws a net over not just the nature of the title character but the nature of the entire show itself.

But of course Tomoe fails, Lupin shakes off her influence and excises her from the show and cut ties from her and her intruding continuity. Then he goes the extra mile and explicitly throws the final plot thread she offered into the fire and is done with it, choosing instead to very deliberately reject serialization and stay with the tried and true immortal and classic elements of the show.

Final thoughts? 4/10. Intriguing and weird, and obviously it still had a number of great episodes, but this season felt like it was lacking some certain spark of mania. I think Lupin is at its best when there's a kind of excitable childishness to it. I think it needs some kind of connection to the vibe of the old playground cops versus robbers feel. There's a little of that occasionally, and there's also the classic Lupin style bait and switch where the show thumbs its nose at the audience to be cheeky, but honestly I think the show just took itself too seriously. I think you could definitely do this kind of story or play this kind of meta-fictional game or be self-referential about the franchise's long history and its inherent connection to literature or the way it bootstrapped itself into being what you could honestly call a "classic", but come on, laugh a little!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think part of the problem with the Tomoe arc is it was kinda covering ground that Fujiko Mine covered and did a lot better (and worked better for Fujiko as a character) so it just sorta of fell flat here

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Final thoughts? 4/10. Intriguing and weird, and obviously it still had a number of great episodes, but this season felt like it was lacking some certain spark of mania. I think Lupin is at its best when there's a kind of excitable childishness to it. I think it needs some kind of connection to the vibe of the old playground cops versus robbers feel. There's a little of that occasionally, and there's also the classic Lupin style bait and switch where the show thumbs its nose at the audience to be cheeky, but honestly I think the show just took itself too seriously. I think you could definitely do this kind of story or play this kind of meta-fictional game or be self-referential about the franchise's long history and its inherent connection to literature or the way it bootstrapped itself into being what you could honestly call a "classic", but come on, laugh a little!

I mean, Part V leaned even harder into its history, going so far as to have a pink jacket episode, but it was more fun about it. (Again, pink jacket). Part V asked if Lupin was still relevant in the modern world, gave us a character who was strongly implied to be a relative of his who definitely knew "Lupin III" before he was Lupin III, and had a whole running subplot about the complexities of Lupin and Fujiko's relationship. It did more than any other Lupin series to ground Lupin as a specific person, with specific relationships and dynamics.

And I think that might be part of why Part VI didn't work. Part V accepted that it was giving Lupin baggage. He even had a full arc to his relationship with Fujiko, changing as a person from beginning to the ending, something that's normally alien to Lupin's character. Part VI, by contrast, refused to commit.

I brought up how Albert related to Lupin because it gave a real look at a pre-Lupin version of our hero. He was on the way to being smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy, but only on the way, and he could have wound up something very different, just like how Albert abandoned his ambitions as a thief to become a respected (and very, very corrupt) member of society. Tomoe, by contrast, goes earlier in Lupin's life, but the show refuses to let that matter. By changing her to a hypnotist rather than a master thief, it even takes away her initial role as a mentor. Lupin was always Lupin, a static figure. Its whole arc was trying to serve two masters, both revealing important facets of Lupin's past and declaring Lupin's past irrelevant.

Going away from the meta and back to cops and robbers, the treatment of Zenigata is also important. In Part V, he was still treated seriously... to the extent he ever is. Lupin respects him as both his most capable opponent and as a friend, with the chase giving both of their lives meaning. The scene in the toilet episode was great too, with Zenigata finally saying that what he really looks forward to isn't catching Lupin. It's the day Lupin is set free after serving his time, when they can just have a drink together as friends. (Lupin's touched, although he can't admit it because he's in disguise and terrified of being caught.) Meanwhile, everyone trying to show up Zenigata is, to a greater or lesser extent, a villain.

In Part VI, Zenigata gets poo poo on. Constantly. The whole first half of the season is about how much better Holmes is, with the one episode where Zenigata seems capable having him turn out to be Holmes, with Lupin commenting he knew it was Holmes because Zenigata, the man who won't die even if you kill him, wasn't badass enough to do some pretty routine stuff. (Stuff that he's more than done before.) The back half doesn't poo poo on him quite so much, but it doesn't give him anything to do, either. He just... kind of exists. His stupid subplot with the assistants doesn't go anywhere, and he even lets Lupin go at the end.

Also, yeah. The hypnotism was the same as Fujiko Mine, but worse in every way.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 28, 2022

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I mostly enjoyed Part 6. With the exception of The Woman Called Fujiko Mine I find serialized Lupin to be a shrug at best and a tedious bore at worst, and here it was the former. The real meat of it all has always been in the standalone episodes and I here I generally enjoyed them all. I loved to see Oshii finally get to show his take on Lupin.

I'm real tired of Zenigata being competent though, it's something that has rarely worked for me with modern Lupin. Ditch his boring assistant and bring back himbo Zenigata!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Zenigata can be both extremely competent at stuff involving capturing Lupin, but also an oblivious lunkhead. I do appreciate him having a sidekick, but he's purely supporting as a character

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wasn’t the concept of Zenigata having a consistent sidekick(s) an invention of that live action series they did with him a while back that was eventually carried over into the anime?

And yeah, most of his major failures mainly revolve around catching Lupin (though he still comes close at times and seems to have at least a begrudging respect for the gang, including working alongside them when he has to)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like Zenigata could use a sidekick, at least occasionally, because it gives him someone to talk to (rather than just yelling "Lupin!!!!" at empty space) and the opportunity to show more sides of his character by mentoring younger detectives and not just repeatedly failing at the one thing he does.

Unfortunately his sidekicks suck.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like Zenigata could use a sidekick, at least occasionally, because it gives him someone to talk to (rather than just yelling "Lupin!!!!" at empty space) and the opportunity to show more sides of his character by mentoring younger detectives and not just repeatedly failing at the one thing he does.

Unfortunately his sidekicks suck.

I quite liked Oscar tho of course that's not exactly a character you can slot into any ol Lupin thing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Larryb posted:

Wasn’t the concept of Zenigata having a consistent sidekick(s) an invention of that live action series they did with him a while back that was eventually carried over into the anime?

And yeah, most of his major failures mainly revolve around catching Lupin (though he still comes close at times and seems to have at least a begrudging respect for the gang, including working alongside them when he has to)

Seems like, judging from the timing. He first got a sidekick in Part V, which was released the year after Zenigata's live action series started.

One difference in the treatment of his sidekick in part V vs. part VI is that, in part V, he purely had sidekick duties. He gave Zenigata someone to exposit to, and someone to leave with cleanup duties while Zenigata charged forward bellowing "LUPIN!" at the top of his lungs, while his interactions with other characters mostly consisted of being shocked at how shabbily Zenigata was treated by his colleagues, so we knew that was those guys being assholes rather than Zenigata being a failure as a detective.

In part VI, he had his own subplot with the new girl, which didn't go anywhere interesting. Instead of being a vehicle to learn more about Zenigata, he primarily existed to do his own thing, which sucked and was boring.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Eh, I found the guy pretty boring and one-note in Part 5 as well. I really don't see much of a difference in how he was handled here in Part 6 since he was used pretty much the same way.

(Though I will admit I'm a bit biased in that regard since I strongly dislike Part 5)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Srice posted:

Eh, I found the guy pretty boring and one-note in Part 5 as well. I really don't see much of a difference in how he was handled here in Part 6 since he was used pretty much the same way.

(Though I will admit I'm a bit biased in that regard since I strongly dislike Part 5)

As I said, that was his job in part 5. He was basically a sounding board for Zenigata, someone to go "I don't see why Lupin would want to visit the world's largest amusement park" or "Why are we wearing sombreros, inspector?" or even "Zenigata may not have caught Lupin this time, superintendent, but he's still the best in the world!"

If he could have done that in addition to being interesting on his own, so much the better, but there were no scenes that depended on us caring about Goro "Yata" Yatagarasu. He was purely an accessory for Zenigata. (It's notable that no-one bothered to give him an entry on the Wikipedia page for Lupin characters at the time of this writing, while Ami, Albert, and even Ami's father Enzo all get decently lengthy writeups.)

Meanwhile, in part VI, he's just as bland, but the show wants us to care about him, using him caring as a reason to get invested in the fate of new girl. There's emotional weight put on Goro that he can't support.

(Also, part V is excellent, and I will go on for pages regarding its virtues, if the need arises.)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Even just the concept of Lupin operating in the modern world with modern surveillance and internet was a strong hook for Part 5 to run with and it capitalized hard on it. Part 6 didn't have that over arching hook

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Even just the concept of Lupin operating in the modern world with modern surveillance and internet was a strong hook for Part 5 to run with and it capitalized hard on it. Part 6 didn't have that over arching hook

Part V also had distinct niches for its new characters. Goro was a block of wood, but he gave Zenigata more to do, and Part V gave Zenigata a lot of good material as a consequence. Albert gave us a look at young Lupin and showed us the road not traveled, plus he gave a rival who you could buy as a real threat. He's Evil Lupin, of course he can beat Lupin sometimes. And Ami gives the gang a hacker, which is good heist niche that the gang doesn't have covered normally. Sure, Lupin can do it, but he can also shoot, win swordfights, and seduce people. A character with a dedicated niche fits right in, and her more low key personality bounced off the main gang well, with her opening up new stories the rest of the cast didn't have handled.

This, meanwhile... Holmes and Zenigata need the same narrative resources, and having them both around just makes the show worse. We've already got Lupin's respected nemesis, and he can pull double duty as comic relief. Holmes doing the same thing, but 'better' doesn't open up any new stories or insights into the gang. (In fact, the irrelevance of everyone but Lupin to the Sherlock arc was one of the reasons it sucked.) Tomoe could have gone somewhere, but her absence from most of the show and her weak presence when she finally arrived left her as just another hypnosis villain. We didn't get anything more from any of the recurring new characters than from a typical heist target of the week, and some of them offered even less.

Oh, and the treatment of Albert was also disappointing. Man went from being the most powerful man in France to a jobber in the first episode, and then when we get to an arc where his past with Lupin would actually be relevant, he vanishes from the plot entirely.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I finally got a HiDive subscription to watch this show and The Executioner and Her Way of Life. I've now watched through the 1930s two-parter.

I like the characterization of this version of Holmes. The contrast between how friendly he normally is to his neighbors and how he completely ignores them when going to confront Lupin was a nice touch; it makes me wonder if Holmes used to be the rear end in a top hat we often see in modern Holmes adaptation but became a nicer person when he adopted Lily. Not sure how I feel about the way the story builds him up by dunking on the established characters; I guess I don't really mind when it's Jigen and Goemon, but I would have preferred if Albert hadn't jobbed to him too.

The 1930s two-parter was mostly good (the standard Lupin heist parts were well-executed, I liked Shigetomi's genre-savvy, and the Edogawa characters were integrated into the story more organically than the Ellery Queen cousins were) but had a few unnecessary Red Jacket-y twists towards the end. Most notably, it does the dumb thing from the Mysterious Gang of Five two-parter where a cool female character is revealed to actually be a cross-dressing man at the last second even though it doesn't actually make any difference to the plot. At least in Mysterious Gang of Five I could understand the Doylist reason for it (the writers obviously weren't comfortable having the story end with Goemon killing a woman), but here the logic seems to be that the legitimate ruler of Inner Mongolia has to be male? I am not an expert on Mongolian inheritance customs, but surely neither are most of the other viewers; would anyone really have objected to Sarantuya being a woman and still being the legitimate Khan? One problem here is that Shigetomi and Sarantuya were previously implied to be in a romantic relationship (they were holding hands in bed together!) but Shigetomi is apparently surprised to find out that Sarantuya is male. You can rationalize that Shigetomi was pretending to be surprised to avoid the embarrassment of everyone realizing that she and Sarantuya had probably had sex, I guess.

Also, it would have been better to just let the time machine be a time machine (there's a precedent for those in Lupin going back to Part I!) instead of the Assassin's Creed-style simulation nonsense and its associated adventure-game-style setpiece puzzle where Lupin fiddles with an abruptly-introduced gadget that looks like an Enigma machine instead of the Mongolian clock.

The two-parter, and early Part 6 in general, was fine overall; I just wanted to get that rant off my chest.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 1, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The dub of Part 6 began a little while ago as well

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A new Lupin project is in the works for Amazon Prime and it’s another crossover no less:

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1572783557650837507?s=20&t=dYZSqevCmSqD8E71dZ-f0Q

https://twitter.com/lupin_vs_cats/status/1572782738473734146

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 22, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, I still haven't watched that City Hunter / Cats Eye crossover from a bit ago. A Lupin / City Hunter crossover was always a dream project to me.

Not big on the 3D character model animation here, or in general usually. Even with a big movie budget it doesn't look quite as good as the real deal, on a limited budget it just looks like, eh I guess I'm watching a let's play cutscene machinima compilation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
boy the fact that this is coming out AFTER the relatively decent looking 3D Lupin movie is not doing it aaaaaany favors