Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Decided to try watching a bit more of Part 1. It's alright but very slow in some episodes.

What would be the best way to describe Lupin III to someone who has never watched it or heard of it? I'm workshopping it to try and sell to my brother: James Bond by way of The Pink Panther with a dash of Tintin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Decided to try watching a bit more of Part 1. It's alright but very slow in some episodes.

What would be the best way to describe Lupin III to someone who has never watched it or heard of it? I'm workshopping it to try and sell to my brother: James Bond by way of The Pink Panther with a dash of Tintin.

I’ve seen it described as James Bond meets Looney Tunes. I guess there’s also some Ocean’s 11 or something like that in there. A bit of Ghibli in later Green Jacket, of course. It’s a strange mix of influences sometimes; you get these jarring “Is this supposed to be Quantum of Solace or Road Runner” moments. (The most-criticized scene in Part 5 comes to mind.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My brother isn't very big into anime but I think he'd like Lupin in an Archer-esque way. Maybe I could just show him Lupin The First film since he's easier on CGI movies.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/SugoiLITE/status/1584219037869158402

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Looks like they're going back to the Part V team to an extent. Could be fun.

It's a bit of a risk to go and show the backstory for a guy who tends to come from nowhere, but reluctance to do that was a weakness of Part VI and being willing to do it was a strength of Part V. We'll see how it goes.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i finished part 6 after putting it off for awhile because i wasn't feeling it and i just continued to not feel it the entire way through

the way everything plays out, the characters... it all feels like... one of the really mid-tier tv specials from the mid 2000s?

all of it feels so safe, with nothin' really novel or really 'exciting' feelin' when the core conceit of lupin is about fresh adventures and switchin' it up just enough for that broad brush to hit it's mark.

a woman named fujiko mine alongside part 4 and 5 really felt like they were mostly charging head-on at dealing with a modern interpretation of the characters in the current world, with the pt2/3 reference episodes really gunning for hitting the notes of the classic interpretations of the characters and adventures. pt4/5 really felt like love letters to what makes lupin enjoyable in that regard.

it's extra weird because there are some really great episodes that are extremely outside the box mixed in there like the killers episode or the darwin's bird episode but in general most of the episodes are stinkers. it's not like every episode in the previous series were knocking it out of the park (the pt3 reference ones.... geez they're hard to get through) but it always felt like they were shooting their shot instead of this weird wafflin'.

i thought it mighta just been not reviewin the parts but i watched part 4/5 again recently and there are just so many great episodes that hit such a broad range of tones.

pt6 isn't a total stinker by any means, but it's just ultimately... 'safe' feeling in the end, to it's detriment. that on top of the general overarching plots (holmes, tomoe outta nowhere) generally being really weak really ended up makin' it feel weak.

oh also the action is really lame almost all of the time and leaves all the characters feeling incompetent. it's kinda wild. there's so many episodes where the characters have a gun aimed near point blank at someone and that person just escapes for No Reason. stupid nitpick but it kept happening and i was like 'cmon'

i kinda wonder if we'll ever get that koike lupin movie or not

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's lupin without his skills or crew. it'll have to be very good in other respects to be good at all, i think.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, have a trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=q-G6m8crJOc

It’s apparently a 6 episode miniseries that starts this December:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pr...visual-/.191149

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 24, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New Lupin Zero Trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6H1Sd53SOhI

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lupin is the best.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kid Jigen, huh? I'd say this screws with continuity, but... Lupin.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Haven’t watched it yet but the first episode of Lupin Zero is out now

Edit: Aside from the continuity issue of Lupin meeting Jigen as a kid (then again continuity has never been something this franchise has cared much about apart from a few things) this prequel seems alright so far. Apparently it’s loosely based on an arc from the manga as well

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 17, 2022

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Show feels like a 60's anime so it nails the visual asthetic. Decent enough story that feels like a mix of the manga and the 1st 2 anime. Hatanaga's Lupin doesn't work though as the more brash moments come of just way too annoying

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jigen sounds old for his age anyway so they might as well have just let the regular actors play their kid versions to be honest.

Though a weird thing I noticed regarding the subtitles, in any dialogue that’s more than one line the start of the sentence will be at the bottom of the screen while the end of it is directly above

Also I forget, do we know when the crossover special with Cat’s Eye is coming out yet?

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Really enjoyed the first two episodes of Lupin Zero. Baby Jigen bringing a revolver to high school and smoking, that adventure on the train, classic anime adventure stuff. The musical references to Part One were also pretty cool, so now I'm waiting for them to bring back that "Lupin... he's a nice man" song for this part too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Really enjoyed the first two episodes of Lupin Zero. Baby Jigen bringing a revolver to high school and smoking, that adventure on the train, classic anime adventure stuff. The musical references to Part One were also pretty cool, so now I'm waiting for them to bring back that "Lupin... he's a nice man" song for this part too.

Didn’t they bring that song back in Part 5 or am I remembering wrong? Either way, agreed

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So this is different than the Cats Eye CGI looking thing, right?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

So this is different than the Cats Eye CGI looking thing, right?

Yeah, this is a 6 episode ONA prequel while the latter is a oneshot special

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We’ve reached the halfway point of Zero and I already like this more than Part 6 (it has kind of an early Lupin feel to it in a sense).

I forget, is this the first time we’ve seen Lupin’s namesake in any major capacity aside from brief flashbacks?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And Lupin Zero is over, while I still think they should have just stuck with Lupin’s regular VA that was a decent miniseries with a very old school Lupin feel.

Next up on the docket is the Cat’s Eye crossover special on the 27th

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Does the animation ever go as hard with the characters as early Part 1 again?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, did any of the Cat’s Eye cast reprise their roles in the recent special (in either language)?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arbite posted:

Does the animation ever go as hard with the characters as early Part 1 again?

Part 2 occasionally gets wild with its animation but it's very inconsistent in that regard because there were so many studios working on it. And Part 3 is consistently inventive with its animation, sometimes to the point where the character designs are more a suggestion than a guideline.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Larryb posted:

On another note, did any of the Cat’s Eye cast reprise their roles in the recent special (in either language)?

yeah, pretty much everyone that could (since one of them passed away awhile back) - you can really hear it in their voices too

the movie is surprisingly decent! one of the better "TV special" tier things, it's a pretty fun mix of lupin/cat's eye as advertised. the 3dcg is good at times!

pink jacket lupin definitely was a weird pick for design in terms of characterization because he really feels more like the late 90s/walther p-38 era lupin more than part 3's super wacky guy

also started watching lupin zero and man, this is extremely, wildly different but actually legit great? this hella feels like a pet project in the best way possible. something that captures the spirit of lupin?
jigen being a kid who is just out there murdering people with a gun is extremely funny, too

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 7, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, has there been any recent news on further Lupin related material in the future or was the Cat’s Eye crossover it for the time being?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I haven't heard anything, but I'm sure something will pop up. It's always cool to see how popular and prolific Lupin is, even though it seemed like such an underground thing here in America. It's nice when something unique that really rules gets to have this kind of longevity.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Apparently the next thing is a Live Action Jigen movie starring the guy who played Jigen in the 2014 live action movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOIGXVSUyvc

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Apparently the next thing is a Live Action Jigen movie starring the guy who played Jigen in the 2014 live action movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOIGXVSUyvc

Google Translate says the title is something along the lines of “Jigen Daisuke Special Report”. It’ll be out on Amazon Prime this October (in Japan at least)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New trailer for the live action Jigen movie:

https://twitter.com/HeadExposure/status/1714400870320718094