Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

now I know why they call you micro soft :forkbomb:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

if you're running Win11 fire up services.msc and check to see if there are two GameInput services listed. apparently some time in the last four months microsoft decided to move the service from program files where it was installed via an appx package to system32 where it's a regular binary. however they didn't bother to put in some mechanism to remove the old package so the service will just start-crash-start-crash-start-crash over and over again for eternity.

to fix it you have to go to settings -> apps and uninstall the one called "Microsoft GameInput":

THE ARISTOCRATS!!!

edit: apparently it also affects Win10, well done microsoft gold star.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 12, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
why does every os want to show a little picture of the user in a circle now (and it's always a circle). i don't need to see myself or my initials to know that it's my account you morons

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the worst application of that is when some app makes you click/tap on the stupid circle picture to get to your user settings. that poo poo isn't intuitive at all, especially when in other places it's just used as a static, lovely identifier

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

everything has to look and feel like a phone app now, including desktop OSes and five-figure enterprise software

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
it's a circle because Facebook did it first. then literally everyone else just jumped off the same cliff

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

it's an industry of followers, so it makes sense that any time one company decides to try something everyone else will end up copying it to some degree

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Sweevo posted:

everything has to look and feel like a phone app now, including desktop OSes and five-figure enterprise software

apple is going to save us by making everything look like a floating vr app

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Sweevo posted:

are you suggesting that windows has to look like some kind of phone? a...dare i say...WINDOWS PHONE if you will!?!?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
cool ads bro

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
been there since windows 10 even. afaik you can still turn off the "show recommended apps" option though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
loving bonzai buddy rear end operating system

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

microsoft defender cheerfully told me that it blocked three threats! which was just the installer for explorer patcher (update installer but it's the same as a normal installer) that they've now decided is a persona non grata

you can still install it but it's more annoying because you have to click through a bunch of scary warnings

I refuse to use the default Win11 UI

they've also blocked StartAllBack and some other stuff, but I don't use those so whatever

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

the worst application of that is when some app makes you click/tap on the stupid circle picture to get to your user settings. that poo poo isn't intuitive at all, especially when in other places it's just used as a static, lovely identifier

making you mash your own goddamn face with your thumb if you want to dig around in the computer janitor settings is appropriate and fitting

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Teams (new!) desktop client has poo poo the bed this morning, but regrettably the web & iPhone clients are still working so I'm not free from its clutches

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it is nice that teams is such a huge piece of poo poo that you can go for a nap or a walk or anything you want, and if anyone asks why your status was Away all day you blame microsoft and no-one will ever doubt you

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Private Speech posted:

microsoft defender

his name is Shaggar

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

jammyozzy posted:

Teams (new!) desktop client has poo poo the bed this morning, but regrettably the web & iPhone clients are still working so I'm not free from its clutches

I’m so looking forward to this poo poo as my company decided to migrate to teams from slack to save money

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Beeftweeter posted:

why does every os want to show a little picture of the user in a circle now (and it's always a circle). i don't need to see myself or my initials to know that it's my account you morons

They can't miss opportunities to demonstrate the purpose and necessity of your tightly integrated online profile or else people could start getting the idea that it only exists to spy on you or something.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

got a forced outlook upgrade and the top left of the window is the add new email account button, aka the thing a few people might use up to twice the whole time they use the program. this must be mbo design, someone important has a stock grant dependent on number of accounts added in outlook

if you don't know design heuristics this is where you should put literally the most used control in the program. as you can see, new mail used to be there but they crammed this and the sidebar expand/collapse control [which they used a menu icon for] to the left of it, plus all three controls are different sizes and shapes
also, there's an overflow menu with exactly one item in it

the funny/sad part is I bet there's a whole design team working on this who is just beat down by idiot product managers who get paid based on individual feature performance

qirex fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 17, 2024

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows mail and calendar is still the best

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

MooooOOOoooooves like shaggar

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
moves ui controls like shaggar

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

i wonder if microsoft is able to make changes like this because they're so embedded in the business world that companies would spend billions to try to migrate to alternative options, or if they would still make these kinds of ui/ux alterations if they had a minority market share

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Branch Nvidian posted:

i wonder if microsoft is able to make changes like this because they're so embedded in the business world that companies would spend billions to try to migrate to alternative options, or if they would still make these kinds of ui/ux alterations if they had a minority market share

I'd guess there's just nobody who has the authority to block dumb decisions like this since everyone is on a siloed scrum team working on their individual features and as long as it doesn't break the build you can't stop an approved feature

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

got a forced outlook upgrade and the top left of the window is the add new email account button, aka the thing a few people might use up to twice the whole time they use the program. this must be mbo design, someone important has a stock grant dependent on number of accounts added in outlook

tbf my imap account keeps breaking so removing and readding is a use-case i am happy they are optimizing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

I'd guess there's just nobody who has the authority to block dumb decisions like this since everyone is on a siloed scrum team working on their individual features and as long as it doesn't break the build you can't stop an approved feature

the windows team for the last while has been run by the head of bing ads & tracking, so that kind of tells you where their priorities are coming from. He got fired tho, so maybe it gets unfucked but probably not

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I’d ask why they would put an ad guy in charge of their core os, but it’s Microsoft so that answers itself

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
satya wants service revenue at all costs so it doesnt matter if the product dies even if it eliminates the service revenue along with it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also there are like 100 different bing integrations in windows and edge that dont actually do anything and my suspicion is they're almost exclusively for inflating bing engagement and user tracking without actually providing any value to the company beyond the pure numbers reported to shareholders.

like think about how by default in windows every single character you type into search is sent to bing search. it doesnt generate a real bing search that provides value to the user and it doesnt generate useful tracking data for advertisers if you're collecting searches for:
"n"
"no"
"not"
"note"
"notep"
"notepa"
"notepad"
(or more realistically just "n" and "no")

You mutiply this by however many times a day the user does it and then by the number of users have the defaults and thats alot of number go up even if neither the user nor the advertisers are getting any benefit out of it.

Whats the point? Maybe theres enough valuable corn in all those turds that the advertisers get something out if it? Or maybe they just take the big number of all user input and show it to shareholders and thats it.

Then they say that search was done with AI and the number is even more important, even if it doesnt represent any actual value.

idk, seems like maybe some fraud going on there but idk how they report it. maybe they strip all that stuff out and its just completely worthless instead of fraudulent

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Branch Nvidian posted:

If Microsoft had a minority market share they'd put out best in class products and bundle them with windows for free until they were the market leader. This is why I'm never sad that a good Microsoft product fails.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Opening Calendar now has a pop-up that says "gently caress you! We're opening Outlook instead!". Extremely good and cool except Outlook has for some reason removed the ability to show week numbers.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Darkest Auer posted:

Opening Calendar now has a pop-up that says "gently caress you! We're opening Outlook instead!". Extremely good and cool except Outlook has for some reason removed the ability to show week numbers.

yeah in the upcoming windows release they are removing calendar

and wordpad lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

god help me why would anyone make email and calendar be one loving app where you have to switch between the two?

I’ve asked this before but what if, say for example, I wanted to look at email and calendar at the same time?

I know you can make a “new window” in outlook but that doesn’t make a new dock/taskbar icon and sucks poo poo.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Last Chance posted:

god help me why would anyone make email and calendar be one loving app where you have to switch between the two?

I’ve asked this before but what if, say for example, I wanted to look at email and calendar at the same time?

I know you can make a “new window” in outlook but that doesn’t make a new dock/taskbar icon and sucks poo poo.

its because websites can only really have one page so everything must fit on the one page

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

qirex posted:

also, there's an overflow menu with exactly one item in it

lol i see this kind of thing all over the place and it bugs the hell out of me

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaggar posted:

its because websites can only really have one page so everything must fit on the one page

I guess but why not make two websites: one for calendar, one for email? they’re separate goddamn things with separate purposes.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Elder Postsman posted:

lol i see this kind of thing all over the place and it bugs the hell out of me

nobody cares about the HIG anymore and it's horrible

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the read the loving hig tumbler died and it's been all downhill from there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Last Chance posted:

I guess but why not make two websites: one for calendar, one for email? they’re separate goddamn things with separate purposes.

we cant do that because the user will get confused and open like 10 email websites and 2 calendar websites. it has to be 1