Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The internet says the limit is 2TB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

The internet says the limit is 2TB.

Yeah that's the limit for the Switch OS

OP, go to your Settings....Data Management

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Unless I'm missing something, Data Management only tells you how much free space you have, not the actual size of the card.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Commander Keene posted:

Unless I'm missing something, Data Management only tells you how much free space you have, not the actual size of the card.

Doesn't it say "available out of remaining"?

I dunno, I bought a 512gb three years ago and never looked back

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Does the SD card itself not have the storage on it? Don't recall ever seeing a card that didn't have the memory amount printed on it.

How many games do you have? I'm digital only, have all my 100+ games installed on a 512GB card, and still currently have 50ish gigs to spare. Depending on what you have, you may not need that much more space for an upgrade.

Also you could always just delete games you don't play and redownload them when you feel like playing them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I bought a 1TB and it’s still half empty

Nintendo better come out with some new games before they launch Switch 2

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Anything over 512GB is gonna be overkill since Switch games are generally decently optimized for file size.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Mega64 posted:

Anything over 512GB is gonna be overkill since Switch games are generally decently optimized for file size.

My 512gb constantly maxed lol

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My 1tb is maxed

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

beer gas canister posted:

Same.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

beer gas canister posted:

same

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
:lol:, and here I was feeling guilty about the many video games I own

Despite owning my Switch since 2017 and consistently buying games throughout this time, I still haven't managed to max out my 512gb card. Do you guys just own the games or are you actually playing pieces of your vast fun hoards? :allears:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I also have a 512 that's only a little more than half full, though that's not counting another 10-12 physical games.

My Switch has a better ratio of games I've put actual time into than some other platforms, though I've always been kinda bad at beating games.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Libluini posted:

:lol:, and here I was feeling guilty about the many video games I own

Despite owning my Switch since 2017 and consistently buying games throughout this time, I still haven't managed to max out my 512gb card. Do you guys just own the games or are you actually playing pieces of your vast fun hoards? :allears:

Two things:

Are you buying digital or physical? With a few weird exceptions, physical games will only keep save data on the Switch, and that stuff is very small

If digital, are you buying indie games or AAA/1st party? BOTW is something like 15gb, but a game like N++ or Spelunky is a fraction of that.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

lol imagine caring about “storage space”. Physical keeps on winning

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Maroon Hawk posted:

They have played us for absolute fools, etc. etc.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

If only I could store all stuff in sort of subspace instead of my apartment yeah

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Went to use the Switch and the joystick on the right Hori split pad pro no longer snaps back to center at all :(

Dunno how that even happened, I guess I could have dropped it before I put it back in the dock.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I'm curious, for people with both a Switch and a Steam Deck, if something comes out on both, how do you choose which to get it on? I was thinking of getting Star Ocean 2R on Steam Deck, which is my default system of choice, but I brought out my Switch recently and forgot how portable and how much better the battery life can be, and it made me think maybe I should be using it for more than just exclusives.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I'm curious, for people with both a Switch and a Steam Deck, if something comes out on both, how do you choose which to get it on? I was thinking of getting Star Ocean 2R on Steam Deck, which is my default system of choice, but I brought out my Switch recently and forgot how portable and how much better the battery life can be, and it made me think maybe I should be using it for more than just exclusives.

Switch because physical carts have value after purchase.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I've started using an ROG Ally over my Steam Deck(kinda interested in doing a handheld PC thread but doubt I'll ever get around to making it), but otherwise, it depends. For lighter stuff that I won't mess with mods for like Balatro I'd go Switch for better portability and battery life. Obviously higher-end stuff where the Switch struggles, I'd go for a more powerful option, or if mods are important.

And then there's a couple games like Stardew where I ended up double-dipping, mostly because the Deck and such didn't exist when I bought the Steam version, so the Switch version made sense.

Really, it comes down to your preference of performance/mod access vs. portability/battery life.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hiro Protagonist posted:

how do you choose which to get it on?
Steam, by default, which on the Deck is usually more performant and a little cheaper than the Switch. You also have the option of playing Steam games on a PC too, and you know Steam itself will still be around in 15 years.

But occasionally there's compatibility issues with Proton (Harvestella for a long time, fixed now) or the PC version might not be on Steam (Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown), and so that might make the Switch version more attractive.

Also couch multiplayer games work better on the Switch, or honestly any game my kids might want to play.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you get Balatro on switch, you won't be able to mod it to play super mario bros in a joker.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The only mod I'd be interested in would be having "Ace of Spades" on loop as the soundtrack, because as any Balatro player should know, you don't forget the Joker.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Kinda depends for me. Whichever goes on sale first. Or if it's a game I want to use mods for vs. one I don't care to mod. (Stardew, for example.) Or if one version or the other has severe performance issues not present in the other (Rune Factory 5 comes to mind.) Or if it's a multiplayer game with no cross-play or cross-saves, I'd get whichever version my friends have (Monster Hunter is the big one here.)

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
The Nintendo Switch is for Switch exclusives or games I know for sure have disparate console and PC experiences. The gap is closing on that tho, as more devs adopt the tech. It's more of a case by case thing, while Steam has just whatever always in a library that's been around for a decade.

Also the Switch is cheaper, easier for passersby to comprehend/ignore, easier to replace, and has less of my personal info on it, so it's safer (feeling?) for commutes/public use.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Heh, Steam Dreck :smug:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Maroon Hawk posted:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Nintendo Switch also has way better battery life, and probably most importantly, doesnt really get loud and hot during an intense gaming sesh.

Steam Deck goes as far as the wall outlet in living room and the wall outlet in my bedroom, really, while Nintendo Switch is an actually portable gaming system.

That said, Steam Deck is really cool because now I dont really have to have a dedicated PC tower/monitor/desk/m+kb/Goonthrone/whatever occupying a room to play like 80% of my Steam library! which makes it a big big win in favor of having both, imo

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Loop Hero's on a deep sale here in Europe for about 5.20.

minya posted:

In my opinion, Loop Hero is a true masterpiece, the rare game that is genuinely a work of art. I say that because there is something about the way every piece of Loop Hero works together—the graphics, the style, the music, the gameplay, the writing—that creates something far more than the sum of its parts.

Granted, the gameplay, such as it is, is very simple, and it sounds like you’ve determined it isn’t for you (which I totally get). But I do think there is something truly special about this game. It is clearly the work of a game designer who understands (and loves) games on a fundamental level, and in a certain sense, it is a “game about gaming,” in some of the same ways that Inscryption is (another God-tier masterwork of a game imho).

Anyway I totally get that the game is definitely not for everyone and I think for many, the actual gameplay will be boring and underwhelming. But the game is much more than just the gameplay, and I love every part of it so much. For me , one of the best games of the past decade, for sure.

And that was the conversation that convinced me to get it. So I think I will despite having too many games on my backlog currently. That said I haven't quite found one that has had me obsessed since Pikmin 4/TotK so I'd like to find that. I keep jumping between games as none have really hooked me.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 21, 2024

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
1 tb full but I have some stupid big games on there

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hiro Protagonist posted:

It depends. Steam sales are more frequent and steeper than Switch eShop sales in general, while gold points and sales on physical games end up being points in the Switch's corner. The higher specs make the Deck an attractive console to buy for, but Proton bugs, poor/no Linux support, and better controller support are all strong reasons to buy the Switch version of a game. Additionally, a game not being on Steam on PC or having some problematic launcher on PC would make me prefer the Switch port if one is available and functional. Generally I go with what's cheaper most of the time, unless there's a real compelling reason (such as poor performance on one or the other) to go with one in specific.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Hi, Stux. :wave:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I looked back fondly on Twilight Princess but playing it over the weekend the stuff in-between dungeons is such a slog that I was too bored to continue before reaching the water temple. The wolf sections are no fun. The two dungeons I did were fine. I'm going to try Skyward Sword next and think I'll prefer its dungeon-style overworld more than TP's long treks and boring wolf combat. But that game had its own share of crap. Really I think they got it right with Ocarina by having an overworld where you can go out of your way to do extra things but can beeline fairly quickly between dungeons.

That said I've played these games so many times I can't help being impatient during their slower parts, so my experience might not bear on what a new player would think.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 22, 2024

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Yeah, I adored Twilight Princess in 2005 but I'm not sure I want to play the non dungeon parts again.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

External Organs posted:

Yeah, I adored Twilight Princess in 2005 but I'm not sure I want to play the non dungeon parts again.

How is the control on TP? I’ve never played it but I’ve never been good with the whole Wiimote / nunchuck controls. Can you just play it with the GameCube / WiiU controller?

I really want them to just make windwaker / TP for switch. Bing bong so simple. Why not done?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

snoremac posted:

I looked back fondly on Twilight Princess but playing it over the weekend the stuff in-between dungeons is such a slog that I was too bored to continue before reaching the water temple. The wolf sections are no fun. The two dungeons I did were fine. I'm going to try Skyward Sword next and think I'll prefer its dungeon-style overworld more than TP's long treks and boring wolf combat. But that game had its own share of crap. Really I think they got it right with Ocarina by having an overworld where you can go out of your way to do extra things but can beeline fairly quickly between dungeons.

That said I've played these games so many times I can't help being impatient during their slower parts, so my experience might not bear on what a new player would think.

Twilight Princess is a game I've tried to enjoy several times but never did. It has a lot going for it, but everything just feels so slow and padded out. The initial setup and tutorial areas before the world opens up just seems like it takes forever.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

otter posted:

How is the control on TP? I’ve never played it but I’ve never been good with the whole Wiimote / nunchuck controls. Can you just play it with the GameCube / WiiU controller?

I really want them to just make windwaker / TP for switch. Bing bong so simple. Why not done?

To be honest I don't really know. It's been almost 20 years since I played it! The waggle controls didn't bother me at all at the time and I remember being wowed by the bow and hookshot aiming.

But if I played it again I'd look into GC emulation since waggle isn't nearly as novel these days.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

otter posted:

You can use traditional controllers on the Gamecube and Wii U version and it controls just fine like that.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

evilmiera posted:

Twilight Princess is a game I've tried to enjoy several times but never did. It has a lot going for it, but everything just feels so slow and padded out. The initial setup and tutorial areas before the world opens up just seems like it takes forever.
It's like an indulgence of Eiji Aonuma's since Majora's Mask to have long railroaded openings that he finally threw out the window with Breath of the Wild (well not exactly, but it teaches the ropes in a more engaging way). I've come to appreciate how well Ocarina of Time starts. It's the easiest one to pick up and replay, but you can see how much care went into making exploration and adventure a component for new players, even when you're locked in the Kokiro section. It also doesn't force all gameplay information through a bottleneck but leaves it around to find if you want to.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Two things:

Are you buying digital or physical? With a few weird exceptions, physical games will only keep save data on the Switch, and that stuff is very small

If digital, are you buying indie games or AAA/1st party? BOTW is something like 15gb, but a game like N++ or Spelunky is a fraction of that.

Like probably everyone who buys tons of video games, yes. To everything. :lol: