Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Got Loop Hero on sale.

Played some forty minutes. What a strange game. I was a bit conservative on my first run but it went well. I like it. Curious to see where it goes. The aesthetic is really well chosen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

I use my Switch when I’m exercising on the treadmill

How does this work? :confused:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
just lmao if you arent speedrunning while speed running

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

eightysixed posted:

The joycons detach, my dude!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Inzombiac posted:

The joycons detach, my dude!

Lol, well yeah, I get that part, but I consider myself pretty agile and well coordinated, but I don't think I could be running going absolutely nowhere while playing a video game :shobon:

I mean if you got it, flaunt it :yosbutt:

e: I missed this -

Soul Glo posted:

just lmao if you arent speedrunning while speed running
That actually makes sense if you're syncing with Ring Fit Adventure or something, but I don't think I could be playing Mario Kart or whatever while running in place.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 23, 2024

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Cojawfee posted:

Except the steamdeck is good.

So was the game gear, you could watch TV and play sonic

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've done situps while playing Slay The Spire and that's the ONLY reason I've never beaten it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I've balatroed and diabloed while working out. Balatro was probably harder.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i play monster hunter sometimes while i do my daily recumbent bike workout. works really well when your hands don't need to be doing anything else, and after 2-3 hunts you're likely to hit around 30-40 minutes depending on how on-the-ball you are with it. otherwise i just read, but mixing it up is nice.

Mephesto Zieg
Jan 4, 2008
I'm too tired to be funny right now
I really like strategy games in theory but am terrible at them, I've purchased and attempted to play few of them but never get very far. I made it through about half of Mario Rabbids 1 and a few missions into the sequel and made it through the first few levels of Into the Breach. Any recommendations for something that will hold my hand a bit more until it clicks? Basically babies first strategy game?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Steamworld Heist

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I wonder if there's any connection between steam deck buyers and kids who got game gears instead of gameboys for Christmas

No one got game gears for Christmas. It sold fewer units than the Wii U, as I recall.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Mephesto Zieg posted:

I really like strategy games in theory but am terrible at them, I've purchased and attempted to play few of them but never get very far. I made it through about half of Mario Rabbids 1 and a few missions into the sequel and made it through the first few levels of Into the Breach. Any recommendations for something that will hold my hand a bit more until it clicks? Basically babies first strategy game?

Pokemon maybe?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Mephesto Zieg posted:

Fire Emblem and / or Shining Force?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

otter posted:

Fire Emblem and / or Shining Force?

Definitely give Shining Force a try. Both it and the GBA FE game are available already if you have NSO plus the expansion pack.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

edit: I forgot about the Online Apps!

FE7 on there "Burning Blade" is the perfect entry into the series/genre. They walk the poo poo out of you. It's also very charming but it's on the pricier GBA service.

Shining Force isn't quite as finely tuned but is very charming with a big cast and tons of unique units. It's also on the pricier service however.

Mephesto Zieg posted:

Mario+Rabbids was actually a pretty good call... it's a very easy game and quite forgiving and does a nice job of X-Com style strategy games. The problem there isn't the battles, it's everything in between. I never tried the sequel but I was actively disinterested by the "no grid system". It shouldn't bug me as much as it does but I don't care for it.

Into the Breach can be easy, but it's true it offers A LOT of options which can be overwhelming. It's biggest advantage is that you're never lacking any knowledge of any kind, it gives you all the information and it's up to you to make the best of it. It's a truly turn-based strategy game.

Steamworld Heist is a pretty good option. It's turn-based and invites you to pull off cool as hell trick shots. It has adjustable difficulty settings and does a good job of introducing you to the mechanics bit by bit. I'd look at demos/videos to see if that sort of gameplay appeals, because it doesn't quite play like anything else. There's a bit of cover shooting and other things that are worth checking out.

Aside from that there's a couple of expensive but quality options:

Pikmin 4: The series is often considered a "real-time" strategy game, though I think that's sort of been less and less of the case. Pikmin 4 is by far the biggest and easiest entry to jump into (3 may actually be easier to there's a lot of options in 4 to just breeze through it and it really shows you how to do things). The real disadvantage is that it's a very atypical strategy game, there's nothing out there quite like Pikmin. It's part puzzle, part strategy, part action game. Being a Nintendo game it really walks you through things nice and easy and it gives you plenty of tools to succeed.

Fire Emblem (Three House and Engage): Another tent-pole strategy series. I haven't done Three Houses but I've been playing Engage and it's excellent. I do think that it throws a bit too much at a new player though, especially one unfamiliar with the series. The main advantage here is that the difficulty levels can be adjusted to allow you to play it with more easy, though you can only make it easier not harder, which I find dumb. Classic turn-based strategy game where you move your units like little chess-pieces and beat everyone else up.

Advance Wars 1+2: I think this may genuinely be the best option. A true turn-based strategy game AW sets you up against an enemy with more or less the same units as you. Which makes the game shine is the level design. Each map is designed to have you be disadvantaged but with planning and foresight you can plan ahead for the moment you overtake the enemy and it's always very satisfying. 2 is probably the better the game but either way both have a lengthy tutorial that sort of drags if you know what you're doing but which is essential if you don't. Some stages may be tough and can take trial and error but once you get a feel for it and the mechanics you can get through it. What I really appreciate about this game is that you can try to be as efficient as possible or if you have trouble you can win via War of Attrition eventually, which is a slog but you know what, you ran your virtual war machine however you want it.

These are all 1st party so they will be pricey.

Triangle Strategy: A Tactics-style strategy game which throws in elevation and direction into the genre. Personally the game walks you through it ok, but if you're not into strategy it may be a bit much, and the plot (which there is a lot of) can feel dry at first, though I personally found it pretty engaging. Your soldiers are all bespoke and it's great mixing and matching and finding your favorite strategies. Genuinely one of my favorite strategy games and the last game I 100%'d which I haven't done in years. There's a generous demo (get ready for Plot!) but it does give you a taste for how it plays.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

If that person can't handle Rabbids, an incredibly easy game, Triangle Strategy is RIGHT out

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Advance Wars Reboot is so sick. 1 is sort of a massive tutorial for 2 so def play them in order.

AW is amazing because they somehow managed to capture realistic combined arms tactics into a coherent little game, including supply matters, and did it better than 90% of RTS games.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

eightysixed posted:

I do incline walking on treadmills, it's more fun mixing two activities like gaming or watching something while getting in your cardio/exercise.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

If that person can't handle Rabbids, an incredibly easy game, Triangle Strategy is RIGHT out

Nah the game has difficulty options so that's not the problem. I thought they had troubled getting into the other games (Rabbids as a very dull overworld and ItB is a bit too minimalistic), maybe the over-arching dry political drama would catch their interest or the cool unique characters.

You can put most strategy games on Easy which buffs your health and debuffs the enemy but the problem is they tend to make the games too easy and you can just face-tank poo poo but not particularly fun. TS is no exception in this but at least on Easy mode you still get to see all the cool poo poo your units can do.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I thought they had troubled getting into the other games

Mephesto Zieg posted:

I really like strategy games in theory but am terrible at them,

Any recommendations for something that will hold my hand a bit more until it clicks? Basically babies first strategy game?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I see. Well, I think the point stands, but anyway the best choice remains Advance Wars by FAR.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

More in the puzzle genre than strategy, but I really liked Grindstone.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Mephesto Zieg posted:

I strongly recommend Triangle Strategy. It can get deep if you want it to but it doesn't make things too simple otherwise. I very much think that it would work for you.

In context: Into the Breach is more rogue-likey where it has a challenge built in with some variance but TS developers know what they were doing with a longer single player experience.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
ItB is more a puzzle game in the guise of a strategy game.

It's really loving good at that, though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Into the Breach and Invisible Inc share a wonderful gameplay mechanic within their strategy aspects, and that is where you, generally, know exactly what's going to happen next.

I say this in contrast to a game like Xcom, where almost every offensive move has a percentage for success based on your stats and variables at the time. Good sniper and a clear line of fire? 90% chance to hit, and you still might miss (because :xcom:). And you legitimately don't know how your next move will play out.

Don't get me wrong, I greatly enjoy Xcom. But in terms of games with turn-based offensive and defensive strategic gameplay, I'll take Into the Breach and Invisible Inc over Xcom any day.

Mephesto Zieg
Jan 4, 2008
I'm too tired to be funny right now
Thanks for the recommendations, Steamworld Heist seems like an easy one to check out, especially since it's currently on sale for $2. Advance wars may be my other best bet, triangle strategy seems nifty but maybe too dry. As far as Pikmin was concerned I can do real time strategy stuff no problem, its just the turn based stuff that throws me off.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Mephesto Zieg posted:

I would try FE engage on Normal difficulty. You could also do 3 Houses with a caveat that you spend a lot less time just playing out SRPG maps.

Both on normal are pretty manageable for any skill level, although it might be a little touch and go the first few maps.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Mephesto Zieg posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, Steamworld Heist seems like an easy one to check out, especially since it's currently on sale for $2. Advance wars may be my other best bet, triangle strategy seems nifty but maybe too dry. As far as Pikmin was concerned I can do real time strategy stuff no problem, its just the turn based stuff that throws me off.

Unicorn Overlord is new, awesome, and like an RTS/SRPG hybrid thing

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
my understanding of Unicorn Overlord, it's like Ogre Battle: March Of The Black Queen on steroids. is this accurate?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yeah, it’s basically Ogre Battle but with gambits. It’s extremely good.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah, it’s basically Ogre Battle but with gambits. It’s extremely good.

No don't say that that one guy will get mad.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Guy who has only played Unicorn Overlord, playing his first fire emblem: Getting a lot of 'Unicorn Overlord' vibes from this...

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
They released Extreme-G and Iggy's Reckin' Balls on NSO.

With Acclaim/Iguana games now getting put on, wonder if we'll get the Turoks?

Edit: vvv Are they? Phone posting so didn't have chance to look.

Actually, gently caress Turok. FORSAKEN!!!

Gorilla Radio fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 24, 2024

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Gorilla Radio posted:

They released Extreme-G and Iggy's Reckin' Balls on NSO.

The hd/remastered trilogy is already out on the Switch, so don't expect Netflix versions any time soon

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nintendo would rather die than put Ogre Battle or Mischief Makers on the service, fully expecting Chameleon Twist and Fighter Destiny 2 to be next lol

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Gimme Tetrisphere

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
Does anybody reckon that the Switch successor will be announced at Nintendo Live Sydney 2024?

As an Ausgoon, I hope so.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Gorilla Radio posted:

Edit: vvv Are they? Phone posting so didn't have chance to look.

Actually, gently caress Turok. FORSAKEN!!!
Turok 1-3, Shadowman and Forsaken have full Night Dive remasters on the eShop for optimal nostalgia for Acclaims tidal wave of mid/late-90s 3D games of wildly varying quality.

I think Forsaken 64 had different levels, though - the remaster uses the PC levels with at least some of the N64 ones snuck in as additional secret levels IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

The Kins posted:

Turok 1-3, Shadowman and Forsaken have full Night Dive remasters on the eShop for optimal nostalgia for Acclaims tidal wave of mid/late-90s 3D games of wildly varying quality.

Forsaken isn't on Switch, only PC and Xbox.