Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Cleretic posted:

Ranking systems are lovely and exist for developers who want to shame people for playing differently than they want, but don't want to actually do anything to stop them.
Of all the stupid things you've said this is one of the stupider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Incidentally, I picked up Stranger of Paradise on sale at some point and am now playing through it. Partly out of morbid curiosity to see how much I really do dislike Jack, but also because I'm always going to like series-wide FF fanservice at least a little.

I'm not far in, I've only just finished the Pravoka Seagrot, but the main thing that's striking me so far is that it's actually a completely different vibe if you play it in Japanese; basically the first thing I realized about him was that the Japanese voice acting is clearly going for a Stardust Crusaders Jotaro vibe. So far just early Stardust Jotaro, but that will probably change. But that's kind of still a problem to me, even if it's a different problem than I thought, because a character like that just... isn't very capable of prodding at the weirder and more curious parts of the story and setting going on around him. So far I'm far more interested in the stuff being implied by the Fool's Missives or Neon's oddly incongruous story, but similar to Jotaro, Jack's just not a character that can bounce off or work well with that side of things. And unfortunately, SoP doesn't have a Joseph or Polnareff to handball to for a chapter that does.

Jack acting single-mindedly focused on his mission and incurious about all the tantalizing mysteries about the world and his place in it is a character beat that you are correct to notice.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I agree, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World sucked. Wait what were we talking about?

I am well aware that Courage is the Magic that Turns Dreams Into Reality and that is the other major example I thought of.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

ImpAtom posted:

Rebecca Ultimecia.

Rinoa Ultimecia or bust

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Squall "Deceased" Leonheart.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cleretic posted:

I'm not far in, I've only just finished the Pravoka Seagrot, but the main thing that's striking me so far is that it's actually a completely different vibe if you play it in Japanese; basically the first thing I realized about him was that the Japanese voice acting is clearly going for a Stardust Crusaders Jotaro vibe. So far just early Stardust Jotaro, but that will probably change. But that's kind of still a problem to me, even if it's a different problem than I thought, because a character like that just... isn't very capable of prodding at the weirder and more curious parts of the story and setting going on around him. So far I'm far more interested in the stuff being implied by the Fool's Missives or Neon's oddly incongruous story, but similar to Jotaro, Jack's just not a character that can bounce off or work well with that side of things. And unfortunately, SoP doesn't have a Joseph or Polnareff to handball to for a chapter that does.

whoa drat you mean the game you immediately concluded would be bad is actually not bad when you take the time to try it? wild

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Cecil "Steve" Harvey

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Just a regular, normal name FF characters power ranking:

1. Jack
2. Tina
3. Clive
4. Sarah
5. Ultimecia

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Thoughts on Paul the Ninja?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the is an unorthodox middle name so I don't think he counts.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

seiferguy posted:

FF1: Not really unless you want the warriors of light to return, which, ehhhh

as a FF1 pay-attentioner, I must say, FF1 is a sequel to itself, and the time loop presents itself anew literally EVERY time any player starts a new save

:smugwizard::pipe:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

the is an unorthodox middle name so I don't think he counts.

Professional family names are very traditional, though.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

1. Jack
2. Tina
3. Clive
4. Sarah
5. Ultimecia

This is Zack erasure :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Zack? Thats not a real name. Now if he had a normal human name like Zechariah you might have a point.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

1. Jack
2. Tina
3. Clive
4. Sarah
5. Ultimecia

0. The Warrior of Light's canonical name. xXSephiroth42069Xx

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

he's called Zax (zakkusu), :actually:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Everyone:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

1. Jack
2. Tina
3. Clive
4. Sarah
5. Ultimecia

Don't forget David "Dave" the daemon hunter.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
RIP subjunctive.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

frog? no, hippo

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

But thou must!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

1. Jack
2. Tina
3. Clive
4. Sarah
5. Ultimecia

Hi, I'm Rosa. And this is Edward. This is my other friend, Edward, but he calls himself Edge. He's 26!

And this is Cecil, and our other friend Rydia. Her name might actually be Lydia, but who knows!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's weird, he was Gilbert, but the translator just really liked the name Edward so now he's Edward despite the game already technically having an Edward.

She also changed Ricard's name to Edward in the unreleased FF2 translation.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mega64 posted:

It's weird, he was Gilbert, but the translator just really liked the name Edward so now he's Edward despite the game already technically having an Edward.

She also changed Ricard's name to Edward in the unreleased FF2 translation.

I'm pretty sure it is also because 'Gilbert' was one character too long to fit in the battle scene, the same reason that Golbez's name got shortened, and they didn't want it to be 'Gilber' or 'Gilbet' or something like that. Still probably could have made him 'Gil' or 'Bert' though.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Bert the Bard and Edgeward.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

welcome posted:

Bert the Bard and Edgeward.

My name is Edward Geraldine, you can call me Edge

I'm imagining someone making a stupid portmanteau of the first letters of their first and middle name. Dojo Trump

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jokes posted:

I'm imagining someone making a stupid portmanteau of the first letters of their first and middle name. Dojo Trump

Jonathan Jostar

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Hellioning posted:

I'm pretty sure it is also because 'Gilbert' was one character too long to fit in the battle scene, the same reason that Golbez's name got shortened, and they didn't want it to be 'Gilber' or 'Gilbet' or something like that. Still probably could have made him 'Gil' or 'Bert' though.

Gill/Gil would be sort of awkward because currency is also Gil.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mycot posted:

To be fair the original FF4 translation used GP, not Gil.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

mycot posted:

it's GP in FF2us

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

jokes posted:

Edward Chris von Muir. Edch.

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair the original FF4 translation used GP, not Gil.

Which made RPG players in the West assume it was Gold Pieces. Luckily for Squeeninx, Gil was able to be retconned in.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gil, Please

Mega64
May 23, 2008

jokes posted:

I remember someone made a ROM hack set after TAY, where you play as Edge's son, Furio. At some point you meet Rydia and she gives Furio poo poo for his name being Fudge.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Time for us to talk about the most controversial FF topic: MOOGLES

(I found a Moogle Tier List)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Time for us to talk about the most controversial FF topic: MOOGLES

(I found a Moogle Tier List)

Top Tier:
FF6 Moogles
FFV/III Moogles
Cait Sith's Fat Moogle

Mid Tier:
FF9 Moogles
FF7 Classic Moogles
FFXIV/FF16 lovely rear end in a top hat Moogles
FFVIII Moogle

Low Tier:
FF12/TacticsAd Moogles
Final Fantasy Type 0/Dissidia/WoFF/Kingdom Hearts "big rear end nose" Moogles.

I Hate It Tier:
FF 7 Remake Moogle

Key Features OF A Good Moogle:
Cute Nose. (FF6 Moogles are the extreme of good taste.)
Chubby
Limbs must be cute and stubby.
Must Be At Least A Bit Of An rear end in a top hat
Pom (Poms should not go above 1 Kupo Nut in size for ideal cuteness.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 23, 2024

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

and them's the facts!

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Montblanc is entirely too high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Rebirth Moogles are actually good.

There - I said it.

Are they hosed up? Yes. But this is the sophisticated Japanese cultural concept of ~busukawa~ and by disliking the Rebirth Moogle you are actually revealing yourself to be uncultured and closed-minded.