Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad
Hey everyone, I started learning pottery at the local rec center a few months ago and it's cool. They have a good range of glazes and two clays, firing at cone 5 for the glazing.

My big interest is historic stuff, mainly everyday vessels like mugs, jugs, and bowls.

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a glaze or glaze combo appropriate for the firing range that looks similar to this baby https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O70266/jug-unknown/

Obviously I don't want to use lead glaze for something I'm going to drink out of, but that sort of spotty effect that makes it look like an algal bloom is awful tempting...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Wopzilla posted:

Are you looking to make a glaze or purchase a commercial glaze? If you're looking to purchase, any pottery supply will have glaze samples for you to compare to.

Well honestly I am considering making a glaze at this point, as I can't find a commercial glaze that creates the same effect, but I have no idea where to look. Amaco Dark Green over their True Celadon gets kinda close but it's lacking the color and the texture of the original. I've been told the color, especially its vibrancy, is really an effect of the lead in the glaze, so I've given up on that, but I feel like I could get a good result if I just got that texture and a green that I like. There's a fair amount of range in the color, so this is another example of the same style: https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/H_1850-1205-1

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 12, 2022

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’ve been digging for wild clay and definitely found some clay. My friend who knows more about these things thinks it has potential from the pics. Interested to learn more about processing it.

Oh man, I was doing some tree planting at a public park and hit clay that looked exactly like that. Hard as hell to dig through. Hope the experiment goes well!