Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I did coil building in high school and been waiting for COVID restrictions to lax enough to get into a classes over 10 years later. :):

Took a slab workshop with the goal of completing a wall vase. Just finished the glaze yesterday and waiting for it to be fired. Goal is hopefully the flowers will make the full tail, but of course I always want it functional as a sculptural piece even when not in use.

I’m currently in a wheel class. I’m not too keen on my teacher but have been picking up stuff from others helping me in the studio and watching YouTube videos. Shoutout to Tim Sees channel being the most helpful. I really really want to do a raku firing one of these days, but for now I’ll keep practicing my basic forms.

This ain’t much but it’s the first thing I’ve ever centered and pulled on my own, so I’ll probably fire it just for sentimental reasons. Even looking at it now I can see where I can improve.

Next month is a workshop for building a vase with coils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Really like your first one. I’m a fan of plain outsides with colorful inside.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I think my studio can do cone 10, which is crazy to me. I’ve seen a lot of pieces with melted glass incorporated.

Yesterday I tripped and fell while on my run so I had to practice this weekend wearing surgical gloves. I watched a video of a woman visiting Hagi so I guess I was feeling inspired. Someone in the studio said they were really nice :3: excited to figure out how to trim these. I also got my Mud tools and they’re super nice

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I was wondering where to get some solid trimming tools? I have some from a cheap little set my studio sells. What’s some of your faves?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Everything I've posted so far has gone back to reclaim, but this past weekend wanted to make a big ramen bowl, so I made a big ramen bowl. I'm hoping to make a friend for it this coming weekend.

Also got my little sauce bowl back from bisque.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 1, 2022

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Lareine posted:

Someone made a ceramics thread... loving FINALLY.

Oh hey I’ve seen your work in the earth nation discord!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I’m excited for cat crab. Also love that green vase!

We are working on drop in lid jars in class. I’m a little obsessed with making knobs and doing miniature throwing.

Pushed it a bit more tonight with trying to making some pulls on the knob. I was fighting with a wheel that definitely has a short in the pedal so I’d get a surprise speed up or down. Pulling is really starting to click for me and I’m centering very quickly these days.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 15, 2022

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Some finished mugs I enjoy using. One will go off to its new home in a mug trade. Probably the green one since I really enjoy it more than the pink. Partner has said we are at mug capacity. And pink will be given away to a friend as a surprise.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 24, 2022

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Congrats on the baby!

I’ve come a long way in 6 months. My love of rich texture is starting to stick in my designs. I love chattering. Also starting to learn about making glazes as I was gifted a bunch glaze recipes.

Some recently completed work

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 13, 2022

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I have been trying for more technically difficult forms, esp a tall narrow neck form and I finally made significant progress this weekend. I think the teapot spout practice really helped here and Hsin's bottle vase video where he said collaring up benefits from a faster wheel spin. Really proud bc this is also the first time working with this clay body and properly planning this make.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

cheese eats mouse posted:

Some finished mugs I enjoy using. One will go off to its new home in a mug trade. Probably the green one since I really enjoy it more than the pink. Partner has said we are at mug capacity. And pink will be given away to a friend as a surprise.

I’ve come far in a few months.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Why did the lid rim have to warp. I love this clay and glaze together though. Had a lot of trouble with this teapot.

Cool light

Warm dark light

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Wopzilla posted:

This is a really pretty color

Thank you! It’s amaco’s PC blue rutile

I broke my shoulder and had a beasts hand building workshop by Eva Funderburgh the same week so I got to practice my sculpting skills.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Liking sodium silicate A LOT

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Dang that's cool please tell me more

Get yourself a tub of sodium silicate (also called water glass) pre form your vessel, brush on using the wheel the spin it. Take a heat gun and spin the wheel to where it feels kinda dry. You can use a hair dryer too but it takes a lot longer to dry. Once it’s dry push out slightly to test. If there’s a lot of resistance it’s too dry but give it a practice anyway. You sort of have to test and try. It took me a few times to figure out how it looks/feels when optimal and how far you can push it.

Look up Hsin’s crackle videos, he has a few.

Careful not to let it dry on your bat or wheel cause it will stick and stain.

I made a mug from one of my more successful practice rounds. Also really liking the chatter + lightly brushed on underglaze effect.

Got it trimmed up this weekend.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
this week was firing a gas kiln with soda ash. a lot of these are in a glaze called galactic indifference which rules as a name. I went too heavy I think but also it was an old kiln so lots of oxidation more than reduction

jar

garlic jar

1 half of a ramen bowl set

would you like a hug?

tortoise and hare, race epilogue

cup with carbon trapping

chatter and slip tea bowl

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Spikes32 posted:

Pretty red glaze

Do you have this glaze recipe? I’d like to try it out in the next soda kiln firing

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
It only takes 1 or 2 times to figure out how thin is too thin. Glad you got to experience it, I had a similar feeling about some of my glaze choices for my first soda firing

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Finally starting to learn how to light box

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
throw big, draw on big

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

z0331 posted:

Did a hummingbird plate that I think came out nicely. Kinda wish I’d chosen not yellow for the background circle but still, colors compliment each other. Applied the glaze with a slip trailing bottle and it still didn’t end up uniform.

What brand celadon are you using? I only get good results from pouring

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I’ve thought it about for a centerpiece and surrounding it with store bought; never a whole kitchen worth.

If you’re just doing a color you can get away with glazing directly onto greenware

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

z0331 posted:

Amaco, marigold and sky. What do you mean by "pouring"? For the plate I used a slip trailing bottle - it wasn't brushed on. But I guess I still was a bit inconsistent. The marigold turned out nicely, at least.

Pour it into the piece. Like take the bottle I just pour. I have a fan brush handy to move the excess away back into the jar cause the CMC gum in the mix will pour too thick. You’re good to go on one pour.

I use amaco and that’s my technique

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Empty Sandwich posted:

PS do not buy a Shimpo

This is why I bought a used Brent

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Feeling like I'm starting to churn out stuff I like and feels more me as I have had time to deep dive into doing this almost like a job. Also making my own glazes now, but trying to burn through a lot of the commercial glazes I bought in my frenzy as a new potter. I'm moving into a new studio that is catered towards production level potters who have outgrown a hobby space, which is a ceiling I am pushing against a lot.

My first big group show is a Christmas sale in a few weeks and I have 50+ pots to bring with me. I still need to figure out my half of my table set up, order some stickers with my instagram handle, packing paper and paper bags

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 29, 2023

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

z0331 posted:

What glaze is that middle stripe? One you've made or a commercial one?

It's a red iron oxide wash I made and wiped back with a sponge. The recipe is in the cone 6 glaze book by John Britt. I made the blue glaze too.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I’ve only seen them secondhand on marketplace and Craigslist as part of studios shutting down.

They’re very heavy so that’s probably where the shipping $$$ comes from, but they do hold their value and never break down.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

It really sucks sounds like they’ve cut quality a lot. I’ve thrown in so many older Shimpos that are decades old.

Their banding wheels are top notch though and there’s no mechanical parts to lose out on.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Where do you live?

My favorites are Brent’s and Pacificas

Clayboss has plastic gearing

Shimpo whispers can’t handle large weights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I've heard praise for L&L kilns too, but really any kiln you can get for cheap will be your best. I have had a lot of luck on FB Marketplace and Craigslist mostly.

I ask because Pacificas are made by Laguna, but they're in California so shipping costs would probably be more for you. Also NCECA is March in Richmond if you want to check the merch. I have heard rumors that they'll offload kilns for cheaper at the end of the show cause they don't want to haul them back.

Good luck. There's some people offloading their pandemic hobbies.