Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
hell yes. just found this thread and read through it. it's been especially interesting to learn about the industrial ceramics stuff.

I still make these, which were birthed by a thread 13 years ago:

I've never taken any classes. my brother needed a place for his workshop when I moved to the area, so I've had free access to a wheel and a kiln since I started in 2006. (we amicably divorced our practices a few years later so I have my own now.) learned how to mix my own glazes bc commercial ones are so loving expensive.

I started out making face jugs, a southeastern folk art form that I'll post about later, but a few years ago I juked into sort of abstract oceany sometimes functional things.

never having been taught anything is sometimes an advantage. nobody ever was around to tell me that what I was doing wouldn't work.

this one's got a chunk of iron embedded in it... apparently the oxidized surface turns to hematite in the kiln:

the form of this plate is garbage, but I wanted to demonstrate that a pork shoulder bone can survive cone 6:

this piece is chock full of unsifted raw clay from the roots of one of the several trees that's fallen on the property behind my house:

this one's less gonzo but it demonstrates my favorite ash glaze (unwashed hardwood fireplace ash and Redart, 1:1):

I've been incorporating a lot of organic inclusions, local materials, interesting chunks of other things, just generally experimenting constantly for a couple years now.

base clay is Redstone from Highwater Clays in Asheville, NC. I mix in some Lizella (from and named for Lizella, GA) pretty frequently, since it makes the ash glaze look even better. cone 04 bisque, cone 6 glaze, both oxidation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Would love to know more about your wild clay adventures. It's something I'm very interested in and have dabbled in but local potters who use wild clay haven't been just super willing to share their knowledge. Any other wood ash glaze recipes you've liked?

everything I read about ash told me that I'd need fluxes at ^6 and I tried a couple dozen variations before finally just doing a line blend and realizing that the recipe I needed was both dead simple and shouldn't work (according to what I'd read). I get the sense that wood ash is so wildly variable that it's hard to predict what'll happen.

mostly I just use wild clay for surfaces. I do end up combining the above ash glaze with local clays to make them stick to whatever I'm making. I just look for something that's dark red and hopefully also pretty gummy and I'll paint it onto surfaces people won't eat directly off of. I haven't found a real deposit as such, just the normal red clay soil of this part of the world. I was out at a local historical bridge and I noticed the mud daubers had made a partially white nest so I really need to poke around there and find out where they're getting their kaolin. (not from a local potter, as far as I can tell, but I have seen them use commercial clay before.)

I'm happy to share but I'm wildly undisciplined so it ends up being a grandma recipe a lot of times... notional and dependent on what's on hand. I can say that mixing anything with a commercial clay, even without cleaning out the sand and miscellaneous non-clay stuff, has worked fine up to approximately 1:1 (again, for stuff that's not for food).

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Spikes32 posted:

Why not paint, wax paint then dip?

second. it's really hard to get a smooth brush coat with certain glazes.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Anyone ever handmade tile? I'm thinking about remodeling my kitchen in the future and would love to make it as complicated as possible.

never done it, but my understanding is that rolling the slab on top and on the bottom helps prevent warping. (that is, running it through a slab roller once, flipping it, and running it again.)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
my wheel is out of commission (again) and I'm having to do these mugs on an Amaco wheel from The Past

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
PS do not buy a Shimpo

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

cheese eats mouse posted:

This is why I bought a used Brent

couldn't find one fast enough, so I've got a new Clay Boss on the way

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the two Shimpo throwing wheels I have experience with both failed.

my brother bought an RK Whisper that started malfunctioning after 6 months. the company told him it was probably the control board, but wouldn't send him a new one unless he paid.

undeterred by this, I bought a VL Lite. the control board also crapped out, so I replaced it. six months later, it stopped working again, but replacing the board didn't fix it this time.

when diagnosing online, I saw enough people complaining about the same problem that I've given up on them.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
gently caress a Shimpo, imo.

Brent are supposed to be indestructible. the 1/2 hp model is around $1600 now, I think.

I just bought a Speedball Clay Boss (1/2 hp) and I like it a lot so far. my brother has owned the same model for a few years with no trouble. ($1000)

don't buy one of the cheap no-name ones on Amazon or wherever. some of them take dangerous manufacturing shortcuts.

whatever used name-brand one is available ought to be good, but I couldn't find one locally that was below retail.

https://clay-king.com/ seems to have the cheapest prices in the country, even with freight charges, but I live super close. (I've bought all of my equipment there, including my kiln.)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
(pottery wheels don't need very many hit points)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

What do you think is causing these glazing problems? Seems like I got a lot of movement off of the lip, and on this one case complete failure to adhere

what are you bisquing to?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Mescal posted:

Do you think one could get a black-topped effect with a blowtorch? Kinda the opposite of the traditional way.

I think there might be some just from the smudge of the flame but I can't see how it would work otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Mescal posted:

mix something in the slip that scorches black near the vitrification temperature?

by then everything burnable is long gone, usually, isn't it? I'm not trying to discourage the idea bc most of what I do is noodle around to see what happens

maybe raku?

Synthbuttrange posted:

Some of my latest batch

looking good

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 8, 2024