Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009
My partner is a ceramic artist. Over the course of a few firings, their kiln has stopped getting to temperature. The most recent bisque firing didn't reach cone 05 before the controller errored out (I don't think the error was recorded before the kiln was powered off, unfortunately).
They got the kiln second-hand and didn't get all of the documentation.

Our budget doesn't currently have the money to hire a kiln technician to come fix it, and even if we were apparently it isn't the model that folks are familiar with in this region (it is an L&L JD 230 electric kiln, and the local shop seems to mostly stock/service Skutt) but I'm very technically inclined and have access to a couple of very well appointed makerspace/fabrication labs, and am familiar with high-voltage safety procedures.

Does anyone here have a good resource for troubleshooting and repairing kilns? Based on the serial number I am going to guess it is 15 years old. I've found a troubleshooting guide and a manual for a much newer version of the kiln, which look like a good starting point, but if there are better resources I'd love to know about them. Books are welcome if they're good and also available!

Once I get it back up and running I'm tempted to see if I can update the controller to something with at least an informational remote display--I've built my own sous vide machines in the past and the fundamentals aren't that different. It looks like there are a few projects out there to use a raspberry pi as a new controller, though I'd want a well-established design with a community and good failsafes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU