Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I've been taking a wheel throwing class for the first time in 8 years since October and loving it. Still relearning a lot, made a ton of bowls and am now working on a lot of light box decorations for my wedding tables in June. Basic stuff but has been fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Wopzilla posted:

I really like this glaze combo

Thanks! It was an ohata and temoku oxidation glaze combo if you didn't recognize them. Can't speak to specifics of firing besides it was a cone 10/11 firing.

I've been trying out all the different glazes and combos trying to figure out what fires well / looks good together. I'm not a huge fan of single glaze pieces unless the glaze has color variation within it.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Do you know the name of the glaze you used for the yellow inside? And what cone you're firing at? I love how bright it is

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Cone six makes sense for that bright of a color. Lower cone firing gives you a much broader range of colors and I love it. My current studio only hi fires which has a lot of benefits but does restrict colors more.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
That tea pot looks amazing! Do you have any worries about the lid glaze coming out a different shade as it'll go through a different firing?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
So my studio fires exclusively high fire, between cone 10 and 12. I know at lower cone firings you have a lot more color options, but at high fire the ceramic itself is safe to eat instead of just the glaze, and it's bit harder. It also takes a lot more power / gas to high fire. They've said this is unusual and actually a good thing despite the reduced glaze options, but can anyone expand on why this is a major positive? Is it just due to the clay changes at higher Temps?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
That was really interesting thank you! I'll have to do more digging into the chemistry side of firings to learn more.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Made some light boxes for wedding tables and had friends paint them. If I ever do big batches of these again I'm buying a small drill with a slow drill speed for sure. Manually making the holes took way too long, but very happy with how they came out. I only made 25 and by the end I was very tired of them.

Also been getting consistent pin holing with two of the green glazes. Debating between trying a pre-wet of the piece prior to dipping or just giving up. Very possible the glaze needs to be remade and no one is willing to do it, and I'm not allowed to.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Lareine posted:

Those holes are pretty extreme for pinholing. It almost looks more like blistering to me. Are other people having the same problem?

Yep every time I've seen this glaze on other pieces it has similar issues, though my example was one of the worst.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Wopzilla you remain inspiring and have really cool posts / work going on. I need to find a project to motivate me soon, work has been crushing and I get to the studio and just do basic stuff on the wheel.

But I found a really pretty glaze combo recently and have been trying it out to different effect.

Success!

2nd dip was too thick

I am really struggling to get better at shaping vases properly, and the kiln didn't get a full reduction environment on this firing, but I kinda like the 3 tone piece

Shape and weight were ok here, just wish I'd put the 2nd dip on for a bit less time. 25% less running I think would have looked a lot better.

Using an air sprayer would really level up my glazing, but really hard to make worth the time with a once a week class.

God I need to somehow get better at handles, I really struggle with shape and proportion.

Overall I'd aay I'm a low level intermediate potter, and the class teacher is a good potter but a lazy teacher. Unless you ask for a specific demo you don't get one. Anyone have suggestions on a website or book with a series of projects or challenges to learn/stretch yourself once you have some basics down?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Sorry no, I just use the glazes the kiln people prepare. I'll ask in class next week if it's something they share though

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
This last class I spent more time than planned getting these guys created using a preexisting mold. Plaster molds the studio has are for the most part boring, but there are a few rocking ones. Now onto making a set of dinner plates.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Used the glaze spray gun on some plates for the first time, and there's a lot of lessons learned. Came out decent though.

Need to watch some YouTube videos on how to get cleaner lines and better technique. It was interesting though how the two glazes came out of the gun in very different strengths.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Why not paint, wax paint then dip?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
My FIL has this in his garage, he got it in 03 and never used it. He's going to repaint it, refurb the motor and transport it up in January. No idea how much I'll actually like it compared to what I've been using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
That is really helpful actually. I think something I need to go find examples of is the best way to glaze multiple colors with spray instead of dipping. But also just how to get uniform haze with spray like that is more than I had.