Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
This thread is really cool already.

Are there any affordable pottery wheels worth a drat? I was thinking of buying one for my wife/myself since I know she'd really get a kick out of trying and I think it would be fun. I don't really want to drop ~$800 on a wheel for a "maybe" hobby, but the actual cheap options I've seen look barely a step above a Fisher-Price toy.

I guess another question is, I've searched around and found a studio nearby that supposedly sells kiln space/time. If we want to just make some lovely bowls or whatever, is this something we could reasonably make and dry at home and then fire it elsewhere?

Edit: I know the probably smarter answer is take a class or do it at a studio but we're still preferring at-home activities for now. Still, it might be the best option for deciding if we actually want to invest any money into doing it.

This is absolutely gorgeous.

z0331 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
My wife and I have been taking wheel classes for the past couple months and it's really fun! The sessions include open studio time so we go most weekends. We now have at least a dozen terrible, terrible mugs lying around the house, with more to come once I find time to decide how I want to glaze the most recent batch.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I made a teapot! I still need to buy a handle and I’m not super thrilled with how the glaze turned out but the shape actually came out the way I had in my mind. Now to never make a teapot again.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
A few weeks ago we learned how to make donuts. It was a fun exercise but I had no idea what to do with it until I decided to make a lamp!

Totally winged it and didn’t even buy the kit before firing so the cap doesn’t fully fit on the opening at the top. But it’s tightened down and doesn’t move or anything. Just gotta find a shade.

I had wanted the glaze to run down more but oh well. I like the contrast with the dark brown clay.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I’ve been messing around with decorating by painting with underglaze. I’ll find a color sketch online that I copy to bisqueware with pencil and then fill in. I’ve never really painted so I’ve been pretty happy with how the first couple ones have come out. Although, they all look a lot better from a bit of a distance.

The glaze works a lot like oil paints and our instructor is really knowledgeable and has helped me with color mixing. That said I keep having to remind myself it’s not paint and firing does change things, such as the color and intensity. These pictures are all prefiring. The blackbird turned out much better than I expected. I was worried the glaze would all wash out, especially as it’s in dark clay. Still need to finish and fire the bowl. It is going to be a gift so I’m pretty anxious about it.

z0331 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 29, 2023

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Celadons are super hard to get to come out even. This is four layers of each color. Oh well, I don’t mind it in this case since it kinda gives it a water feel. Only thing I’m annoyed about is I accidentally made the loon look angry with a badly placed stroke.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Did a hummingbird plate that I think came out nicely. Kinda wish I’d chosen not yellow for the background circle but still, colors compliment each other. Applied the glaze with a slip trailing bottle and it still didn’t end up uniform.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

cheese eats mouse posted:

What brand celadon are you using? I only get good results from pouring

Amaco, marigold and sky. What do you mean by "pouring"? For the plate I used a slip trailing bottle - it wasn't brushed on. But I guess I still was a bit inconsistent. The marigold turned out nicely, at least.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Anyone ever handmade tile? I'm thinking about remodeling my kitchen in the future and would love to make it as complicated as possible.

We're doing it for our kitchen. I made a tile cutter jig, which is basically a flat board with two rails, the height of which is the tile thickness (3/8" in our case). Plop the block of clay on the board and then run a wire cutter on the rails to slice it to the right thickness. Then we bought a tile cutter like one of these, cut out as many as we can for each slab, smooth them out with a rubber rib and place them between two pieces of drywall to dry as slowly as possible. There's still some warping, but most have come out ok so far.

That's for blank tile. If you want carved/designed, we did that at a workshop. Basically we made a plaster block and carved the relief to press into the tile. The hard part was pressing firmly and evenly. The instructor had made a big, clunky tile presser that did the job, but it wasn't super practical. We tried on our own using a rubber mallet and it didn't imprint super well, and the plaster would likely get destroyed pretty quickly.

And of course, if you don't have a kiln, you need to find someone willing to fire them all for you.

Edit: You could also likely buy bisqued tiles and simply glaze them the way you want.

z0331 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

What glaze is that middle stripe? One you've made or a commercial one?