Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

This is super cool! I'm planning on taking a little pottery class at the art museum after new years and was planning to do a little reading before the class. Any recommendations on babby's first book about ceramics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I really like the color of the middle one. Bright and unusual.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Wopzilla posted:

Utilizing my high tech machining tools, I add a new key hole and bore out the original three deeper

Lol.

This is so cool, thanks a bunch for sharing! Love what's goin in the kiln! How much of your work is slip cast vs. hand thrown/built?

Is porcelain something a small craft shop can produce?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That's cool as heck.

What you are doing there, (dump slip into mold, let the porous plaster mold draw out water at the surface to form a solid shell, dump excess slip out) is slip casting, right? What is the advantage of the ram press you made in the OP vs slip casting the same piece? Just makes stuff faster? or better?

Do you know anything about historic/antique (I'm thinking 18th C. Europe specifically) porcelain/china production techniques? I assume anything complicated and not round (big scalloped oval soup terrine or something) would have been slip cast?

E: finally was able to sign up for a class in January :toot:

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 2, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

babby's first pots:

Not shown: the three that collapsed

I started out trying to make a straight sided mug kind of shape on both the white ones. Never did quite figure that out, and none of them have quite the lines I was aiming for, but I'm pretty happy with them. It was fun!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

This guy kind of reminds me of Bob Ross and his videos are very chill and I've been watching alot of them:
https://www.youtube.com/c/BillvanGilderPottery/videos

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Wopzilla posted:

I say I have no time for new projects, but winter time in New england leads to frozen water lines... so I might as well make use of some blocks of plaster I have.

While I was waiting around for the piece to set up casting and drying I turned a stopper for it. Now I have a new product.. the result of a cold winter week for me

This is cool and pretty as heck!

Figured out how to throw vase kind of shapes:

Finally got back things we glazed a few weeks ago. Glaze is a whole different world that kind of caught me by surprise and I'm not sure I made the best choices, but for first time I'm happy enough.
I really like how this one came out:

This had a cool iridescence I wasn't counting on:

I was hoping for an orangier red here and instead got purple, but I like it fine.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Spikes32 posted:

Do you know the name of the glaze you used for the yellow inside? And what cone you're firing at? I love how bright it is

I think it was ‘Marigold’? I know the exterior iridescent one was ‘Junebug.’ I can’t remember the manufacturer, I’ll try to remember to look at class on Tuesday. I think she said she fired everything at cone 6? But the instructor handles all the firing etc. and I really don’t know anything about all that.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anyone have any experience with treadle wheels? A Leach-style wheel seems simple and cheap enough and I'm thinking about building one.

I really love the glaze on this. Do you spray the blue glaze on the top or something?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I made some bad glaze choices and hosed up some pots, but some of them came out nice. Start my next class in March :toot:

I really like this one, but I guess I put the glaze on too thick and it ran down over the wax and stuck to the kiln shelf:

My fav from the whole class:

I really like how this glaze came out but I have no idea what I did:

I need to keep a notebook of glazes or something

Otherwise nice bowl kind of ruined by bad glaze choices:

Even the fuckups are neat sometimes. With more earth tone glazes the fuckups seem to come out interesting, whereas with bright colors they look like pastel vomit.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I love lurking this thread so much its so cool thanks for the huge informative posts and pics
:same:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Wopzilla posted:

I dont know how well this text will read as a photo but I don't have access to a scanner. This book goes into the chemistry a bit

This book also has some recipes and has a notation on a previous page that all these bases glazes are suitable for various coloring oxides and stains

Hopefully this helps a little

What book is this from? It seems like it would be a helpful reference to have.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

pots pots pots. Got a bunch of stuff back from glaze firing, and I actually took notes so I know what glazes I used! I'm quite happy with the red Deep Firebrick from amaco on the speckled clay, and the 'Lemon cream Satin' from Laguna I think. I think I will prefer the yellow not on the speckled clay, but it's an interesting effect. I think 'Art Deco Green' from amaco is probably my dingle favorite glaze I've used so far. It just looks kind of refined and professional to me.

This is the biggest thing I've thrown so far. I think it was about 4# of clay

Apparently there's a different instructor for the next class, so that'll be exciting to see a different way of doing things. He may also be teaching a class on mixing your own glazes which would be exciting.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Threw 7-8# twice tonight which is the biggest I’ve throw. The new instructor is really fantastic and we’ve done a ton. Closed forms with lids, tons and tons of cylinders, he really jams a lot into a class and is really good at diagnosing problems.

Now I have two laundry baskets full of stuff to glaze…

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Getting bigger and taller:

The vase on the right was 10#. I've been trying to make this shape for a long time, but always wound up with something like the two on the left. The big bowl second from left is 12# and the biggest thing I've thrown to date. Feels pretty cool to go from never thrown anything to throwing fairly large pieces in 9 months!

I would like to start mixing big buckets of glaze at home because it seems faster and cheaper than brushing on commercial glazes. I've seen premade dry glazes at sheffield pottery and various other websites-is that pretty much 'just add water and mix' or is there more to it than that? I asked the instructor last night and she says they fire everything to cone 5 if anyone has favorite prefab glazes for that temp.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

My first teapot:

Also my first handle ever. Pretty happy with the shape of the pot, not as excited about the handle but I think it's fine. Starting a handbuilding class at a different studio next week!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

What kind of tools do you use on the lathe to turn the plaster? Just like woodworking lathe tools or what?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Went to a local wood firing for a few hours today and it was really neat to see. I love how primal ceramics can be. Some mud and some fire makes useful and durable objects.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

cheese eats mouse posted:

Liking sodium silicate A LOT

Dang that's cool please tell me more

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I’ve been digging for wild clay and definitely found some clay. My friend who knows more about these things thinks it has potential from the pics. Interested to learn more about processing it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Oh man, I was doing some tree planting at a public park and hit clay that looked exactly like that. Hard as hell to dig through. Hope the experiment goes well!
I made some test tiles and my friend is firing them-they made it through bisque but he hasn't tried them any higher yet. Wet processing was a pain so I got a cheap corn grinder off amazon and dried the clay in the oven and ground it, then add water to reconstitute. Much faster, and also easier to control if I add sand/grog to it. It's sticky af, but pretty strong when it's bone dry in a kinda weird way.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Wopzilla posted:

I'm really curious how this turned out.
Finally got something fired, this was at cone 6

I really love the color and texture and it seems in good shape-no bloating or explosions. I'm gonna do the boil/soak/weigh thing to see if it is indeed completely vitrified and watertight. My buddy thinks it will be high fire and is going to stick a test tile in an upcoming wood firing. It is not the easiest stuff to throw for sure. I'm not great at throwing tiny things, but it doesn't have much plasticity to it. It was a lesson in compression-if I tried to pull much it would tear very easily, but it could be compressed into shape. Now that I know it will at least survive cone 6, I'm going to mix up a bigger, maybe wetter batch and see how that does and how it glazes. Lots of little iron and sand nuggets in there that may do neat things with glaze?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

^^good to know a little HF sprayer will work for glaze, I was wondering what the right kind of spray gun would be. If you spray outdoors with a respirator is a booth strictly necessary?

I’ve been throwing some porcelain in anticipation of an upcoming wood firing and jeeeeeez that stuff takes some getting used to.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Got a wild hair this weekend and decided to speedrun a DIY wood/charcoal firing with predictable results.

Wild clay:

Pinch pot, post drying out on my gas grill. Amazingly little cracking-it was a dryish leather hard when I stuck it on the grill:

It actually sounded kind of sintered after that which it shouldn't have-it only got to about 550F. I glazed half with an Amaco potter's choice glaze which can go up to cone 10, and half with a slurry of wood ash and the same wild clay.

The 'kiln.' Hastily made in the corner of this weird old bbq pit in my back yard.

Heated it up pretty good with a fire, put some lump charcoal in, put the pot in, put lots more charcoal on top, closed up, started cranking on the blower:

It got at least yellow hot in places. From my blacksmithing days I know a charcoal fire can get white hot (which I think is above cone 10?) with a blower, but I don't think I got there.
I'm Very Impatient and pulled a chunk while it was still red hot and dunked it in water just to see what happened.

It cracked along those cracks but didn't explode into a million pieces.

Some of the commercial glaze actually did glaze a bit.

And some of the wood ash glaze also 'glazed' a very little bit

Mostly I succeeded in exploding bricks, however.

This wild clay lacks plasticity but it has a ton of dry and bisque strength and fairly low shrinkage overall. It also handled some pretty brutal thermal shock fairly well also-went from room temp to red hot back to room temp in the space of an hour and sort of mostly handled it? I'm trying to filter and wet process some to remove some of the coarser particles and maybe get a bit more plasticity.

One of the interesting things I learned about was black coring. I thought it was neat that the clay was black all the way through and didn't know why, turns out I basically can check all the boxes for 'things that will cause carbon coring'-high iron clay body, inadequate/no bisque firing, rapid reduction firing. Could be a neat effect if it could be controlled.

Anyway, it was a fun little experiment. I made ceramic in my backyard and that's pretty cool! Learned a bit more about the properties of this wild clay and am excited to experiment more with it. I'm doing my first real wood firing next weekend that I've got a few porcelain things ready for, so I'm excited about that.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Helped fire a wood kiln today. They started about 7am and we finished a little before 7pm. Topped out at 2360F in the front of the kiln and 2300F in the back, but held it at those temps for an hour or so. It gets fuckin hot stoking that thing. Very cool experience, can't wait to see how my pots come out when we unload on Wednesday.

All loaded up yesterday:

Some folks stoking:

3pm

We took it pretty slow for the first hour or three I was there (when it was below 1100F-apparently this has something to do with quartz inversion and needs to be fired slowly?) but once we got to 1200F or so really started stoking hard and it was a very different kiln 1.5 hours later.

4:30pm

Closing it up!

It's a manibagama design kiln which was designed to be fairly fuel efficient and quick to fire as mainly a teaching kiln. This one is 24cu/ft and holds 16 12x24" shelves and fired with about a cord of wood in 12 hours. The woman who runs the firing is veerrrrrrry experienced and has been wood firing since the 70s. Lots of fun cool crusty old hippies hanging around. I think they got this kiln in 2012 or so and she said this was the 34th time she has fired this kiln. Super nice lady and a wonderful and patient teacher. Dealing with wadding and thinking about flame flow was kind of a whole new world for me and I'm excited to help again in the fall!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Lareine posted:

I'm surprised the firing only takes 12 hours. Maybe because it was a smaller kiln? I dunno, I always hear about wood firings taking literal days.
I think that kiln is designed to fire relatively quickly and also isn't huge. She said you definitely can fire it for much longer, and she has before. There is a big groundhog kiln she helps fire once a year that holds a few hundred pots and she said she tries to hold it at temp for at least 12hrs (and I imagine it takes quite a while to get to temp). Anagama kilns also usually take a few days to fire from what I understand. I'm just getting into atmospheric firing and its a whole new world to learn about for me. I don't even know much about basic electric firing because the studios I work in always handle everything to do with the kiln.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Still need to take pictures of my pots, but here's some pics from unloading the wood kiln.

I really thought everything would come out all black and sooty and nasty, but nope!

I'm not just suuuuper thrilled with how my stuff came out, but it was a neat thing to do and a great learning experience. I made some poor glaze choices and most of my stuff was fairly thin-walled porcelain bowls which warped quite a bit because the heat isn't perfectly even. Time to keep experimenting I guess.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I can’t remember where I read it, but I definitely remember reading somewhat that GB causes a lot of problems with glaze recipes but because it’s what people are used to it still gets called for a in a ton of recipes. Reformulating those recipes with a frit could get the same effects without the problems?

This is all hazy and unsourced so please feel free to tell me I’m completely wrong.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Empty Sandwich posted:

hell yes. just found this thread and read through it. it's been especially interesting to learn about the industrial ceramics stuff.

I still make these, which were birthed by a thread 13 years ago:

I've never taken any classes. my brother needed a place for his workshop when I moved to the area, so I've had free access to a wheel and a kiln since I started in 2006. (we amicably divorced our practices a few years later so I have my own now.) learned how to mix my own glazes bc commercial ones are so loving expensive.

I started out making face jugs, a southeastern folk art form that I'll post about later, but a few years ago I juked into sort of abstract oceany sometimes functional things.

never having been taught anything is sometimes an advantage. nobody ever was around to tell me that what I was doing wouldn't work.

this one's got a chunk of iron embedded in it... apparently the oxidized surface turns to hematite in the kiln:

the form of this plate is garbage, but I wanted to demonstrate that a pork shoulder bone can survive cone 6:

this piece is chock full of unsifted raw clay from the roots of one of the several trees that's fallen on the property behind my house:

this one's less gonzo but it demonstrates my favorite ash glaze (unwashed hardwood fireplace ash and Redart, 1:1):

I've been incorporating a lot of organic inclusions, local materials, interesting chunks of other things, just generally experimenting constantly for a couple years now.

base clay is Redstone from Highwater Clays in Asheville, NC. I mix in some Lizella (from and named for Lizella, GA) pretty frequently, since it makes the ash glaze look even better. cone 04 bisque, cone 6 glaze, both oxidation.

Would love to know more about your wild clay adventures. It's something I'm very interested in and have dabbled in but local potters who use wild clay haven't been just super willing to share their knowledge. Any other wood ash glaze recipes you've liked?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anyone ever handmade tile? I'm thinking about remodeling my kitchen in the future and would love to make it as complicated as possible.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

A family friend has a huuuuge kiln she was given and is trying to get rid of. A friend of hers used to make sinks and stuff and needed huge. It's a Euclid R-450 https://euclids.com/pages/r-series-value-and-dependability
Just has a kiln sitter for controls, but I thiiink it could be upgraded with more modern controls? Is that a terrible 'babby's first kiln'? Disadvantages I can see would be:
-it's huge, it would take me forever to fill it, but I guess I can fire it half full?
-more expensive to fire than a smaller kiln
-old fashioned controls, but maybe for a first kiln that's not a bad thing?
-needs big fat wires. I have been planning to run a 100A subpanel to my garage anyway, but this thing needs a 100A breaker on its own.

What other downsides am I missing? I know nothing about kilns, but I have a friend who knows a ton and would definitely get him to look it over.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Kind of maybe looking at getting a wheel sometime-are there any brands that are noticeably better/worse than others? The studio I mostly have thrown at has Shimpo whisper? Wheels and they seem fine, but from a few few posts ago it seems like maybe they have some problems? The other studio I go to sometime has Brent wheels but I have never actually thrown on them. From what I’ve read tho, Brent seems to have a very good reputation and is in lots of schools and stuff. Or are they all basically fine, get whatever is used on FB marketplace and works?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

cheese eats mouse posted:

Where do you live?

US Gulf Coast. Not really seeing much used locally but I'll keep looking-not in a huge hurry.

Skutt seems to have good marketing and lots of pottery youtubers seem to like their stuff-is it actually good or just good at giving stuff to yourubers?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Wopzilla posted:

Made a new batch of an old gun metal glaze. As it usually does, ranges from a gun metal color:

To a graphite texture:

And if it's right by a heating element, super sparkly high gloss with reds showing through:

If you wanted to share this recipe that would be amazing (and also I totally understand if you can't!). I came up with something very similar in a glaze making class I took but it never came out with that much variation.

Is that all oxidation/electric fired?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Wopzilla posted:

Unfortunately, I can't share this recipe.

We only do electric firings. In the small octagonal kiln, this glaze always comes out as high gloss. In the other two kilns, it can vary. It doesnt seem to only be heat work but proximity to the heating elements themselves. I opened the kiln before leaving today and you can see that this tumbler is right on the kanthal bar

And if you look at it closely you notice that the glaze facing the bar is glossed whereas the backside is more matte

Then the one I put directly in front of the hottest bar looks much different

It's a very cool looking glaze, thanks for sharing more pics.
My teacher loooooves reverse engineering glazes so this seems like a fun project with him!