Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seriously, don't do it.

Even if the answer is "I need to be able to manage *arr from my phone anywhere" enabling a Wireguard VPN takes two taps, and Wireguard is absolutely going to be better secured than anything else you could possibly expose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Matt Zerella posted:

Just a note, I think I've said it before but do not expose anything of it doesn't support Single Sign On or 2FA.

Basic auth even over SSL is not enough.

I edited this in to my post, but yes should absolutely implement fail2ban or other brute force protections like 2FA or SSO if you're exposing anything to the internet at large. This does increase the complexity of your implementation. Something like https://hub.docker.com/r/authelia/authelia#! would work for this. Though I don't know if it works for NGINX. It works for Traefik, which is another implementation of a reverse proxy, though one i'm not familiar with.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Nitrousoxide posted:

I edited this in to my post, but yes should absolutely implement fail2ban or other brute force protections like 2FA or SSO if you're exposing anything to the internet at large. This does increase the complexity of your implementation. Something like https://hub.docker.com/r/authelia/authelia#! would work for this. Though I don't know if it works for NGINX. It works for Traefik, which is another implementation of a reverse proxy, though one i'm not familiar with.

Iberocorp has a bunch of videos for Authelia on YouTube. It's UnRAID focus but will work fine for any docker based deployment.

The big problem I have with it is it's fine as a gate keeping mechanism (kind of) but it doesn't pass the token through to your underlying service.

Still better than nothing and not any knock against it. Honestly though I still wouldn't expose anything I don't have to.

My only open services are Overseearr (only plex login), Nextcloud (2FA enforced), and Plex. Everything else is behind Wireguard.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Matt Zerella posted:

Iberocorp has a bunch of videos for Authelia on YouTube. It's UnRAID focus but will work fine for any docker based deployment.

The big problem I have with it is it's fine as a gate keeping mechanism (kind of) but it doesn't pass the token through to your underlying service.

Still better than nothing and not any knock against it. Honestly though I still wouldn't expose anything I don't have to.

My only open services are Overseearr (only plex login), Nextcloud (2FA enforced), and Plex. Everything else is behind Wireguard.

Came here to say almost exactly this. Can definitely recommend both Ibracorp and Spaceinvader One's tutorials for all of this, from NGINX Reverse Proxy to DuckDNS to Cloudflare to Wireguard to Authelia. I can also say from personal experience that unRAID is pretty great if you're new to Linux/Docker, but like Matt said, you can still use the guides with regular docker deployments.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I know it's a bit offtopic for the thread but we're talking about it anyways already.

I am still getting my head around most networking stuff and I'd like to be able to occasionally remotely access my Unraid NAS at home. So it seemed that setting up Wireguard (as mentioned above) on it would work but one of the 1st things for Wireguard to run is to enable UPnP.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/84226-wireguard-quickstart/

How is that different from opening up a port on the router? Am I just not understanding some basic thing or?

From reading here and elsewhere I was all "Ok I don't need to set up a reverse proxy on the NAS and dont want to open up any ports so instead I should VPN to it, ok Wireguard... opens a port... :confused: "

Sorry if this is super naive.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

That Works posted:

I know it's a bit offtopic for the thread but we're talking about it anyways already.

I am still getting my head around most networking stuff and I'd like to be able to occasionally remotely access my Unraid NAS at home. So it seemed that setting up Wireguard (as mentioned above) on it would work but one of the 1st things for Wireguard to run is to enable UPnP.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/84226-wireguard-quickstart/

How is that different from opening up a port on the router? Am I just not understanding some basic thing or?

From reading here and elsewhere I was all "Ok I don't need to set up a reverse proxy on the NAS and dont want to open up any ports so instead I should VPN to it, ok Wireguard... opens a port... :confused: "

Sorry if this is super naive.

You still need to open a port for Wireguard. But since it's the only service listening on that port, and it will only respond to those that have the right secret encryption key (which your client will have) even if people try to use that port as an ingress point to your network, nothing will respond to them since they don't have the right key.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 5, 2021

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Manually forwarding the port with upnp disabled is the more secure option. The functionality will be the same without giving malware on your lan an easy way to punch through your firewall.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 5, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Opening up a port in general is only as "bad" as the application you are opening up that port to. Even the worst home routers are still good enough at their job that the act of opening a port does not expose any other part of your network to attack. All you're doing is saying that traffic from the internet to your router on a specific port gets allowed through your firewall to a specific port on a specific IP behind the firewall - and that's it.

Enabling UPNP is worse than just opening a port because anything on your network that uses UPNP can ask to open a port. The problem here is that you don't know what on your network is going to do that, and you don't know how secure any of those devices are. You don't need to enable UPNP to use Wireguard, you'll just need to open/forward a port (probably UDP 51820) manually to your Unraid box with Wireguard enabled.

The reason to expose Wireguard to the internet and not *arr or NZBget or whatever is that Wireguard is a purpose-built VPN solution. It receives frequent updates, and it has a developer community that treats security as the highest priority. If there is ever a security vulnerability in Wireguard, I would expect it to be discovered fairly quickly and patched even sooner. Compared to that, all the other applications that you run on your server are probably supported by smaller groups of developers, and those developers are going to be focused on lots of things other than just security. It's safe to assume that those applications are going to be more likely to have vulnerabilities, and more likely to have those vulnerabilities persist for long enough for it to become an issue.

It's also minimizing the number of ways someone can attack your server. If you have ten different apps all running and forwarded directly to the internet, that's ten different ways someone could possibly exploit your server. If you only have Wireguard exposed, then that's the only way someone can attack your server.

This eventually turns into a security-versus-usability scenario, where you have to pick and choose what you can live with accessing behind a VPN and what needs to be outside of the VPN. Something like Plex with paid developers and extremely large install base, that also depends on things like smart TVs being able to access it? Yeah, that's a necessary evil to expose outside of the VPN if you want to share it at all. Nextcloud is also fairly safe to expose, especially if you keep it up to date. But anything beyond that, I'd lock behind Wireguard.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thanks very much all that really cleared things up for me.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

If you want VPN built on WireGuard that doesn't need a hole punched in your firewall, look into Tailscale.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Matt Zerella posted:

If you want VPN built on WireGuard that doesn't need a hole punched in your firewall, look into Tailscale.

And while Tailscale is excellent, if you'd like to be self hosting instead of handing core network infrastructure control off to a company's servers there's the Headscale project.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

My Overseerr install is pretty slow. Like up to a full minute to load any of the movie posters even when I’m on my LAN.

I installed it using docker-compose on a debian vm with 3 cores of a Ryzen 3600/4gb of RAM. Is that just not beefy enough or what? I tried adding more but it didn’t seem to matter.

Followup on this, I was able to get it running perfectly by running the Docker container on my Synology 218+ instead of my Debian VM. Don't know why it didn't like the VPN so bad but vOv.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I've been spending the past week or two giving myself a crash course on self hosted kubernetes clusters. I just barely got the self contained ha control plane and load balancer figured out along with basic ingress with traefik. If I find it at all practical for home use I'll try posting a guide to get some basic stuff hosted.

Holy hell this is a steep learning curve compared to unraid docker containers.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

CopperHound posted:

I've been spending the past week or two giving myself a crash course on self hosted kubernetes clusters. I just barely got the self contained ha control plane and load balancer figured out along with basic ingress with traefik. If I find it at all practical for home use I'll try posting a guide to get some basic stuff hosted.

Are you doing this for learning or have you watched too much TechnoTim on YouTube?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

Are you doing this for learning or have you watched too much TechnoTim on YouTube?
What got this started was me wanting to have a dhcp server integrated with local DNS so I could just type whateverhostname.local.mydomain and my current router doesn't support that. I also want some fault tolerance, so one computer going down doesn't break my whole network.

I probably should just figure out how to do failover with pihole.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

CopperHound posted:

What got this started was me wanting to have a dhcp server integrated with local DNS so I could just type whateverhostname.local.mydomain and my current router doesn't support that. I also want some fault tolerance, so one computer going down doesn't break my whole network.

If you want "easy mode" for kubernetes, look into Rancher.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

If you want "easy mode" for kubernetes, look into Rancher.
Sure was hard for me to figure out how to get easy mode up and running, but now I got that far. I think my next step is to wrap my brain around longhorn then kompose.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

CopperHound posted:

I'd honestly be super interested in a write-up. I've been teaching myself a lot of stuff with docker/ansible and such, and the more accessible "this is what this is and how to set it up" the merrier. I find practical explanations and walkthroughs are much easier to grasp than the more dry "this is how roles work" without useful context.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CopperHound posted:

kubernetes is made for hyperscalers that need massive scale-out orchestration
nobody else should ever touch it, ever, on penalty of being tickled

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

kubernetes is made for hyperscalers that need massive scale-out orchestration
nobody else should ever touch it, ever, on penalty of being tickled

Whole lot of people use their homelabs to host things and learn. K3s is perfectly fine for an Arr/Plex/Dowloading setup.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Feels like this has a lot of crossover with our homelab thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3945277

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

Whole lot of people use their homelabs to host things and learn. K3s is perfectly fine for an Arr/Plex/Dowloading setup.
Sure, but k3s isn't kubernetes.

The point I was trying to make is that kubernetes was made to solve a very specific issue, which is orchestration of massive scale-out workloads that are only encountered by hyperscalers.

Can you use kubernetes for your homelab to learn the basics? Sure, but you're not going to learn about the things make it make sense for the hyperscalers.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Sure, but k3s isn't kubernetes.

The point I was trying to make is that kubernetes was made to solve a very specific issue, which is orchestration of massive scale-out workloads that are only encountered by hyperscalers.

Can you use kubernetes for your homelab to learn the basics? Sure, but you're not going to learn about the things make it make sense for the hyperscalers.

You'll still have the joy of not properly formatting your YML and debugging it for hours until you see the errant space.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

You'll still have the joy of not properly formatting your YML and debugging it for hours until you see the errant space.
I mean if that's what you're into, you can get your kicks from basically anywhere else that isn't UCL.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

CopperHound posted:

I’ve been idly trying to figure that out for years. Like, especially over a vpn.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I use a pair of Raspberry Pis for DNS servers and a Wireguard VPN; the IOS client is set to always use a VPN for connections, and it then in turn uses internal DNS to my network so I can access local services with the proper hostnames, and so that the DNS goes through PiHole.

For resiliency purposes I'm running BIND on both the Pis, and that is configured to forward requests to the PiHole container but only if it's responding. Works pretty well in practice, the only downside is that the Pihole reports won't break things down by the real client names but eh whatever.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So I posted my 'Self-Hoting' in the Homlab thread, but I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum: I run a Dell M1000e Bladecenter and two M915 bladeservers that host all my VMs, they are segmented off by virtual switches and firewalls for the Homelab, Production, and Lab environments.

I'm running OpenVPN and WireGuard, the OpenVPN is for classes so I can manage connections for students to the Evil Corp lab environment. All this stuff lives on a TrueNAS instance that provides the storage via bargain SSDs and some spinning rust in ZFS arrays shared via iSCSI and NFS.

The XCP-Ng Hypervisor that hosts the vms has auto failover between the two servers.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Hot new zero day exploit dropped. If you're running anything Java based, check out if you are vulnerable. https://www.docker.com/blog/apache-log4j-2-cve-2021-44228/

Wouldn't want y'all to get pwned because you still like Minecraft.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CopperHound posted:

Hot new zero day exploit dropped. If you're running anything Java based, check out if you are vulnerable. https://www.docker.com/blog/apache-log4j-2-cve-2021-44228/

Wouldn't want y'all to get pwned because you still like Minecraft.

For minecraft the fix is simple: add '-dlog4j2.formatmsgnolookups=true' to your java runtime args.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

For minecraft the fix is simple: add '-dlog4j2.formatmsgnolookups=true' to your java runtime args.

For the record, this is a mitigation not a fix.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

The amount of people who don't make that distinction is truly depressing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Matt Zerella posted:

Its worth noting this is what log4j 2.15.0 is doing, it just makes it default.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-3198

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Its worth noting this is what log4j 2.15.0 is doing, it just makes it default.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-3198

It's still just mitigation. If you set that flag to false you're vulnerable again. Completely understandable as it's a humongous vulnerability but they still have to fix the actual problem.

I'm sorry if I'm being pedantic here. Just realize there's a big patch coming that you're going to want to install to actually fix this.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mitigations exist so that you can, quite literally, mitigate an issue on a running production system, until you can schedule a maintenance window to let you patch things properly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mitigations exist so that you can, quite literally, mitigate an issue on a running production system, until you can schedule a maintenance window to let you patch things properly.

The problem is: Not every system is going to be patched. We like to think that there's a patch of everything. There's not, especially for in house designed stuff that is likely legacy but still generating business value.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

The problem is: Not every system is going to be patched. We like to think that there's a patch of everything. There's not, especially for in house designed stuff that is likely legacy but still generating business value.
Sure, you're absolutely right, there are cases where mitigations are the only option - but that's usually a sign that stuff is going to break not just sooner or later, but soon, period.
Also, are you still subscribed to the NAS/Storage thread? Someone was asking for something you might be able to help with.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sure, you're absolutely right, there are cases where mitigations are the only option - but that's usually a sign that stuff is going to break not just sooner or later, but soon, period.
Also, are you still subscribed to the NAS/Storage thread? Someone was asking for something you might be able to help with.

Agreed. Part of that is setting deadlines for the business to retire legacy products or refactor them to keep them relevant.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
If you self-host a UniFi controller, version 6.5.54 has the log4j mitigation. Update your machines!

For self-hosting UniFi controller, one could use this script if you carefully audit it every time you want to execute it (see BSD's post below). However, one would be better served setting up the controller in Docker, for example, using linuxserver's script.

Note that if you use the docker-compose code as is, you may run into issues with your new instance of UniFi Controller failing to adopt your APs. To solve this, you may have to revert to the old interface (Settings > System > uncheck New User Interface), then go to Settings > Network Application and change 'Console Hostname/IP' to the controller's IP address and also check 'Override inform host with the UniFi OS Console’s hostname/IP.' Restart the controller and your APs should adopt.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 13, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The unifi controller is also available as a package most places.

:ninja:EDIT: Well, I say that, but I typed the URI from memory, and it looks like it's mostly not up-to-date unless you're using FreeBSD, pkgsrc (so NetBSD or anything pkcsrc installs on), or some user repositories for certain Linux distributions :ohdear:

RealEDIT:

bobfather posted:

If you self-host a UniFi controller, version 6.5.54 has the log4j mitigation. Update your machines!

If you are interested in self-hosting UniFi Controller, I have found this script to be easy.
It should go without saying, but BE VERY CAREFUL about curling a bash script into your shell (which is effectively what these instructions involve), as it's essentially the same as giving someone remote code execution privileges on your shell, with the added option of enabling privilege escalation for them for free if sudo or doas is involved.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

It should go without saying, but BE VERY CAREFUL about curling a bash script into your shell (which is effectively what these instructions involve), as it's essentially the same as giving someone remote code execution privileges on your shell, with the added option of enabling privilege escalation for them for free if sudo or doas is involved.

Thanks for this, and yeah, sorry. I will edit my post with caveats.