Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I decided to play chess because a DJ I like plays it and her videos got me interested. Turns out the DJ thing is her side hustle. Anyway, is there anyone new or beginning on chess.com that would be interested in learning together? Apparently I have a "400" rating by virtue of making an account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

AnoHito posted:

You should probably play some matchmaking games, to figure out where you actually stand first

Yeah I guess I got ahead of myself..I'll report back later, heh.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Thank you Leper!

I think I"m going to start at Rapid 30 for a few games until I get my bearings then drop the time over a few games. I feel like getting used to thinking and reacting fast is part of the learning curve.

e: I'm gonna dive into this like I used to with Starcraft back in the day. Time to memorize Build Orders or whatever :eng101:

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 30, 2024

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I decided to do my qualifiers without studying first and it turns out I'm very bad. Though sure enough Scholar's Mate popped up among the 5 and that was the only game I won :laffo:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I love the Botez Sisters. One of them is a DJ and that's actually how I walked into this whole thing in the first place!

quote:

but the basic fundamentals plus lots of practice has gotten me to 1000 ELO (rapid 10+ or 15+ mostly) without learning openings. Fundamentals like, try to control the center, develop your pieces, castle, pay attention to how supported each piece is and don't overload one pawn or piece by making it support 2 others simultaneously, watch out for forks, pay attention to what your opponent's plan is as well as your own plan, and abandon your plan when your opponent counters it instead of keeping on with it even though it no longer works.

This seems stupid to type but it feels good there's a lot of overlap between this game and RTS/TBS games. lol.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

With no resources or actual strategic positions to control I've been looking at the center of the board as the high ground and try to dominate that while shoring up the flanks. Seems okay as a Fisher Price strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

You can absolutely play checkers on a chess board