Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

BUG JUG posted:

Ground floor of new chess thread for me to use as a journal.

Following the suggestion of the previous thread: I mostly play on chess.com, and am a very low rated player (sitting somewhere in the 650-700 range).

Hey, low-rated buddy. xD34THROW on there, I'm 521 in rapid because I ride the blunder buss :dadjoke:

This thread and goonclub have convinced me to start playing again here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Just did my first bullet game and was JUST starting to win when time ran out. What does 1 | 1 mean on chess.com? I was playing 1 minute.

quote:

1. e4 Nc6 2. Nf3 d6 3. Bc4 e5 4. O-O Be6 5. Bxe6 fxe6 6. Nc3 a5 7. d3 Nd4 8. Bg5
Qd7 9. Nxd4 exd4 10. Ne2 h6 11. Bf4 e5 12. Bg3 Qg4 13. f3 Qh5 14. h4 Be7 15. c3
Nf6 16. cxd4 g5 17. dxe5 dxe5 18. Qa4+ c6 19. f4 gxh4 20. Bxh4 Qxh4 1-0

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

How the gently caress do their brains move so fast? Dude is rattling off seventeen moves for black to gain a third of a pawn and I can barely see the forest for the trees enough to prevent a bishop forking my rook and queen :doh:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Okay, so question. Where does Chess.com get its puzzles from? It's quite visible that lichess gets them from direct games, but some of Chess.com's puzzles make no loving sense to me because they seem...impractical for real play.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

What analysis engine does Chess.com use? Obviously Lichess uses Stockfish but I about poo poo myself earlier when I was fiddling with openings on Chess.com and did a Ruy Lopez, Morphy Defense. Typically after 4. Ba4 Nf6 I would castle kingside as white, and here's why I have my question. Chess.com gave 5. O-O as a 100% black victory, while Stockfish on Lichess is giving it 30% / 52% / 18%.

As an aside, I really like how Lichess explains the tactics. Going a little further took me into a closed Ruy Lopez and then I scrolled down and saw this whole thing explaining 4 or 5 different next moves for white and the implications of each. This is kind of the stuff I need, and how Chess for Dummies resonated for me 15 years ago. That book is how I learned enough to understand open files, back rank mates, etc.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

I truly had no idea high-level classical chess so often came to a draw, but I've been listening to the Chess Pit podcast for post-game recaps and thinking about it, it makes sense. Magnus and Ian are sitting there for multiple minutes per move running through lines in their heads - this blows my mind because it is a skill I have yet to learn. It's not bullet or rapid when you have a matter of minutes total and you can't afford the time to use your cranial Stockfish.

Instead, these guys are sitting there with their mental engines until they come to a "perfect" move. When you have two GMs playing damned near perfect chess with one or two inaccuracies (not blunders or mistakes from what the Chess Pit guys are saying) per game, I can completely understand how that sort of play leads to a draw in a significant portion of games.

But then by the same token, as I have learned myself, all it takes is one little mistake to throw the game in your opponent's favor. Miss a potential capture, lose a piece to it, and your carefully crafted positional advantage is shattered and you end up getting mated in 3.

EDIT: Whatever happened to green/white boards and Staunton sets being tournament regulation? Or was that just some bullshit Chess for Dummies put down my throat?

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 3, 2021

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

What the hell was Ra2 there?

Nepo's gotta win on time here.

EDIT: Nc5 to put pressure on the queen :vince: Nepo just blew it, didn't he?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Who was that dude in the white robe and what was he doing with Magnus? I've never watched championship chess before.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Watching them reminded me of one of the hardest things for me to parse about chess: It is not checkers and you do not have to capture if a capture is available to you. All too possible to take an easy capture and lose a tempo or miss something.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

I'm finding lichess puzzles to make my brain work much better than chess.com. chess.com puzzles often make no sense to me - I wimp out, view solution, don't get it - but lichess more often than not I'm like :hmmyes:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Well, that was interesting. Lichess rates you 1500 to start, i played a 1655 and lost because black seemed to focus on material before positioning and development. However, I only had 2 inaccuracies and 1 blunder. I normally average closer to 3 inaccuracies, 3 mistakes, and 4 or more blunders.

Silver linings :gbsmith:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Sub Rosa posted:

Not resigning. And still probably doesn't know about Magnus touching the Knight before moving a different piece. Rough press conference coming up.

Uhh, I thought that was against the rules. Whether Nepo is there or not, isn't that a rules violation? That really affects my opinion of Magnus a lot. :sigh:

But then again, it looks like he did the same thing in 2016 against Savchenko.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Do we have a goon team on lichess? I feel like it would be nice to have some chess friends that aren't randoms.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

isn't it listed in the OP?

I thought that was the chess.com team :hurr:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Playing puzzles does seem to be helping me. I just did one on lichess that now was an obvious M3 for white. Two weeks ago, even, I probably would have missed the obvious: Black king castled kingside behind 3 pawns with rooks on a8 and d8, white has a rook on the d-file and a queen and rook on the e-file. 1. Rxd8+ Rxd8 2. Qe8+ Rxe8 3. Rxe8# 1-0. I feel like I used to be so much more concerned about material and would have given up an obvious mate to keep my queen.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

The lichess bot seems to do a good job, right down to blundering its way into a loss like I do sometimes.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Redmark posted:

IMO if you blunder and you don't quickly see the problem when the engine points it out it wasn't a real blunder for your current rating.

I sort of needed this and didn't think about it this way. I'll see a bit ol' ?? and not understand that 9 moves down the (perfect) line this loses my queen or some poo poo.

Does lichess have an opening book that I'm just missing? Also, is there any way to view centipawn advantage as opposed to "this % of games went white/draw/black"?

Hand Knit posted:

Also, the fact that the opening database shows results and not evals is precisely why it’s permissible.

I was looking more to study openings for advantages as either side. Only one I know cold is the Ruy Lopez and I want to expand that. Looks like it doesn't shop up on the Android app for some drat reason, guess I'll see if it does in mobile Chrome. Thanks!

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 20, 2021

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Yeah, I find a lot of the chess.com dailies that way. It feels like the opponent is making the same kind of blunders I would make and then wish I could take back.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Puzzles are helping me to learn that my biggest challenge lies in learning to play lines in my head. Then I cant figure it out, hit view solution, and feel dumb when it was scholars mate levels of obvious. :downs:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

jiggerypokery posted:

I think its fair to say we know chess is a draw in the way we know the value of pi. I actually wonder if it wasn't fundamentally a draw it would be anything like as important as it is as a human sport.

I suppose given perfect play tennis is a draw too. It would just be an infinite rally till the heat death of the universe. It's the error that makes it interesting

Perfect golf would be hella satisfying though. Tiny white ball curving and arcing eighteen times over nearly 4 miles of grass, impeccably locating its three-inch target each time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

you can mint any game you play as an nft and sell it. idk whether the right goes to white or black or the person who won the game or just whoever clicks buton first. stopped reading before that bit, all sounded too stupid

You have got to be loving kidding me, gently caress this stupid world :negative:

Bad With Money thread is thataway